or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Calibration Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Calibration Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by somatic View Post

Seams like only one person here has a PC hook up to the TV. I hook my PC, Vista 32bit, Radeon 4670 connect to TV via the HDMI port, catalyst 9.06, set resolution to 1920x1080P. I then go into Sony user picture adjustment setting, only two modes are allow "video" and "text". Modes such as custom, standard, cinema,etc, do not exist. I can only change backlight, picture and brightness. Color temperature option are neutral and cool. Warm1 and warm2 disappear. All other options are grey out.

Do you have similar result when connecting to a PC?

I have my HTPC with a Radeon 4670 hooked up to a Sony DL 40Z4100. I have the same result in the menus.

I also have a one inch square black frame around the video output in 1920x1080P mode. How did you fill the entire screeen? I've tried to change the mode to full 2 in the picture settings, but it doesn't do anything. I don't have very many options for adjusting the picture and the recommendations in the manual are not available in the menus.

When I use the Radeon 4670 VGA out to PC input on the Z4100 I get a full screen. Will the VGA cable picture quality be far inferior to an HDMI connection?


Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

*********EDIT: I finally found the overscan in the CCC panel which solved the problem of the pc output not filling the entire screen. I set it to 0% overscan. Unfortunately CCC originally wasn't allowing me access the HDMI settings but now it does.*********
post #332 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze77 View Post

Colours seemed way better, but the trailing is really noticeable.

Anyone else seeing the red trails?

Never really noticed it until we watched the Wizard of Oz on DVD. Player was a PS3 set to 1080P output. During the B/W scenes, the trailing was very noticeable.
post #333 of 357
Wow,

I did not realize this, but someone told me that

"Costco KDL-40VL160 is actually the KDL-40Z4100"

Anyone else confirm?
post #334 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb12 View Post

I have my HTPC with a Radeon 4670 hooked up to a Sony DL 40Z4100. I have the same result in the menus.

I also have a one inch square black frame around the video output in 1920x1080P mode. How did you fill the entire screeen? I've tried to change the mode to full 2 in the picture settings, but it doesn't do anything. I don't have very many options for adjusting the picture and the recommendations in the manual are not available in the menus.

When I use the Radeon 4670 VGA out to PC input on the Z4100 I get a full screen. Will the VGA cable picture quality be far inferior to an HDMI connection?


Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

*********EDIT: I finally found the overscan in the CCC panel which solved the problem of the pc output not filling the entire screen. I set it to 0% overscan. Unfortunately CCC originally wasn't allowing me access the HDMI settings but now it does.*********

I just hooked up the tv via ati 4650 and asked the same question in the regular thread for this tv. I also have the black bars around the screen and hate it. When I hook up the pc to tv via display port or vga it fills the screen and looks awesome. I would use display port to hdmi but this pc doesn't support audio via display port because right now display port to hdmi looks so aweosme compared to hdmi to hdmi and vga to vga.
post #335 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post

I just hooked up the tv via ati 4650 and asked the same question in the regular thread for this tv. I also have the black bars around the screen and hate it. When I hook up the pc to tv via display port or vga it fills the screen and looks awesome. I would use display port to hdmi but this pc doesn't support audio via display port because right now display port to hdmi looks so aweosme compared to hdmi to hdmi and vga to vga.

If you have a ATI card and running the lastest Catalyst 9.9 check here for overscan settings.

To get to the ati scaling options do the following:

Right click on the Desktop and open Catalyst Control Center 9.9
Switch to Advanced mode if you are not there already
Click dropdown menu Graphics in the top right
Select Desktops and Displays
Right Click your currently activated display under Please Select a Display' on the bottom right
Select Configure
Click on the Scaling Options tab and your there
Now, just move the scale to the right (overscan) until you get full screen (in my case that was 0%)

and if you need pictures go to the actual link: http://www.aoclarkejr.com/ati-cataly...n-options.html
post #336 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiky View Post

Wow,

I did not realize this, but someone told me that

"Costco KDL-40VL160 is actually the KDL-40Z4100"

Anyone else confirm?

I'd like to know if this is true too? Anyone know?
post #337 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiky View Post

Wow,

I did not realize this, but someone told me that

"Costco KDL-40VL160 is actually the KDL-40Z4100"

Anyone else confirm?

Usually, the letter in the Costco model number correlates with the Sony model number, but not in this case.

The fact that it has deep color, x.v. color, the casing itself, and the stated 30.000:1 CR suggests it has to be a Z4100.
post #338 of 357
so ill be allowed to upgrade my firmware to 205r if i currently have the 40vl160 model?
post #339 of 357
I'm trying to calibrate it.. the TV seems to be super dim compared to all the other ones I've seen. Also, I don't see any "game mode" or auto-dim options in my settings menus. Can someone point me to how to get to them?
post #340 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by classacts View Post

I'm trying to calibrate it.. the TV seems to be super dim compared to all the other ones I've seen. Also, I don't see any "game mode" or auto-dim options in my settings menus. Can someone point me to how to get to them?

Classacts, I just bought a 46VL160 myself. If you find the TV to be dim, you need to turn off the light sensor used with auto-dimming. You may have noticed that moving the backlight settings produce no effect while the Light Sensor is on. Once you turn that off, you will notice the set is much brighter.


Both Light Sensor and Game Mode are accessed through the Home button on the Remote. Scroll full left and down to General Settings, and in there you will find the Light Sensor option. I forget exactly where the Game Mode is accessed, but it is in the same general area...
post #341 of 357
I see the 2.06r upgrade is now available.

My TV was manufactured in July of 2008, and I have not upgraded any firmware yet. Will upgrading now work?

Thanks, and Happy New Year
post #342 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPack View Post

I see the 2.06r upgrade is now available.

My TV was manufactured in July of 2008, and I have not upgraded any firmware yet. Will upgrading now work?

Thanks, and Happy New Year

If you read the fine print on the bottom of the Sony upgrade page it says that if you ugraded to the 2.05r upgrade you will not need the 2.06r upgrade. I have no idea on why they came out with the new version if 2.05r is the same. See my post in the Official Sony KFL-XXZ4100 Owners Thread where I posted your same question.
post #343 of 357
Hi --I have a model that is supposed to be very similar to Z4100 -- it is the KDL-40VL160, sold by Costco. I bought the set mostly to watch tennis and other sports in HD. The input is HDMI, and I do not know if the set was sold with any firmware updates already installed (I have not downloaded any updates; I bought the set in Nov. 2009, but I think it is a 2008 model). Basically, I would like to optimize the sharpness of small objects (such as a tennis ball or baseball) in motion.

I have played around with the settings a but (listed below), but the HD picture is still not sharp -- in fact it is somewhat disappointing. I have also turned off the light sensor, but the picture overall is still somewhat dull, and not very bright.

Here are the current picture settings:

Picture Mode: Vivid
Backlight: Max
Picture: 90
Brightness: 60
Color: 75
Hue: R5
Color Temp: Neutral

Underneath these settings, it says "Picture with enhanced edges and contrast"

Picture/Motion Enhancer: High
CineMotion: Auto 1
Picture/Video Optimizer: Video

If anyone can help me improve any of the settings, or a combination of settings, for the purpose of watching sports, I'd be very appreciative. This is my first HD tv, so the settings are a bit mystifying to me. My last tv was basically an On/Off affair.
post #344 of 357
Thread Starter 
Has anyone actually installed the 206r update over existing 205r firmware? If so, what are your impressions in regard to the differences, if any?
post #345 of 357
2.06r - 46z4100
Picture mode: custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 91
Brightness: 53
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 6
Color space: standard
All advanced settings off
post #346 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee723 View Post

Hi --I have a model that is supposed to be very similar to Z4100 -- it is the KDL-40VL160, sold by Costco. I bought the set mostly to watch tennis and other sports in HD. The input is HDMI, and I do not know if the set was sold with any firmware updates already installed (I have not downloaded any updates; I bought the set in Nov. 2009, but I think it is a 2008 model). Basically, I would like to optimize the sharpness of small objects (such as a tennis ball or baseball) in motion.

I have played around with the settings a but (listed below), but the HD picture is still not sharp -- in fact it is somewhat disappointing. I have also turned off the light sensor, but the picture overall is still somewhat dull, and not very bright.

Here are the current picture settings:

Picture Mode: Vivid
Backlight: Max
Picture: 90
Brightness: 60
Color: 75
Hue: R5
Color Temp: Neutral

Underneath these settings, it says "Picture with enhanced edges and contrast"

Picture/Motion Enhancer: High
CineMotion: Auto 1
Picture/Video Optimizer: Video

If anyone can help me improve any of the settings, or a combination of settings, for the purpose of watching sports, I'd be very appreciative. This is my first HD tv, so the settings are a bit mystifying to me. My last tv was basically an On/Off affair.

Just look through the posts in this section and try out the settings from
ibre34 and JmPTaz. Their settings have worked great for me even though I sit really close to the tv just over 9 feet lol.
post #347 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmPTaz View Post

2.06r - 46z4100
Picture mode: custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 91
Brightness: 53
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 6
Color space: standard
All advanced settings off

Thanks. Did you change your service menu colours?
post #348 of 357
How can you calibrate this TV with the service menu smack in the middle of the patterns?
Do you tweak RGB parameters, exit the service menu and re-measure again and again and again?
That must be an awfully long and tedious process...
post #349 of 357
To Ronald: yes, I used the service menu settings that some dude posted from a professional calibration way back in the thread. I know it's not going to be perfect, but I figure it is likely closer than out of the box and I didn't feel like using a colorimeter, etc.

To Dralt: I just used DVE and did a quick calibration (not really too quick), nothing scientific and quite possibly far from perfect. However, it looks damn good and I don't feel I need another TV until the technology takes about 4 steps forward.

I've posted many settings, all of them pretty decent, but this most recent one I'm finally satisfied with.

A pro style calibration would likely be difficult, with this or any tv.
post #350 of 357
I had my 46Z4100 tweaked just right! I was very satisfied with my picture...Then our electric company shut power to my house for about 6 hours a day, for 3 days in a row! I thought I had properly saved my service menu changes, but I guess not because they reverted back. OF COURSE I can't find the paper that I wrote down my final tweaks on! I have set my service menu back to the settings posted way back by a professional calibration. I dont remember much about when I set them originally. Are the 6 rgb settings the only thing tweaked in the service menu? I have been playing around with the custom picture and am just not HAPPY!

Thanks in advance!
post #351 of 357
mforsight,

Yes, as far as I recall I only used the service menu to make these six color tweaks:
R_DVR: 106
G_DVR: 100
B_DVR: F8
R_BKG: 200
G_BKG: 200
B_BKG: 1FE
post #352 of 357
I just purchased the a KDL-46z4100.. & I have it hooked up to my PC which is a Sony vpcZ114gx through a HDMI cable (Rocketfish).

Whenever I would try watching a video and "Maximizing" the video to fullscreen, my tv would turn black for about 2-4 seconds, then the video would work fine. Also when I would try to exit "Full screen", my tv would turn black for about 2-4 seconds again before becoming regular.

Has anyone had this problem & know how to fix it? This is really annoying and other tvs i've had never had this problem.
post #353 of 357
Did anyone save the firmware updates?I made a mistake by updating to firmware 2.06r it makes everything on fios hdmi look extremely pixelated.
post #354 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoceo View Post

Did anyone save the firmware updates?I made a mistake by updating to firmware 2.06r it makes everything on fios hdmi look extremely pixelated.

You might try calling Sony Support or sending an email. I don't know if you can load an older firmware over a newer version.
post #355 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiahua View Post

Input: HDMI 1 (TWC HD-DVR)
PICTURE MODE: CINEMA
BACKLIGHT: 4
PICTURE: 85
BRIGHTNESS: 40
COLOR: 55
HUE: 0
COLOR TEMP: Warm 1
SHARPNESS: 10
NOISE RED: off
MPEG NOISE: Medium

BLACK CORRECT: MEDIUM
ADVANCED C.E.: off
GAMMA: off
CLEAR WHITE: off
COLOR SPACE: wide
LIVE COLOR: low

MOTION ENHANCER: standard
POWER SAVER: off
LIGHT SENSOR: off

for me i use almost the same settings for my PS3 as well connected HDMI. These settings provide good black reproduction to me as well as clearing up majority of the compression artifacts/noise. To me it seems like a lower brightness overall clears up the pictures and makes it more realistic. I watch DAY/NIGHT in my bedroom with a huge window. Took a lot of tinkering to get these.

These definitely work great during the day!

It's mostly dark where our tv is though, suggestion how to tweak these settings for a dark room?

Thanks!
post #356 of 357
You might try reducing the backlight down to 3 or 2 and see how that works for you.
post #357 of 357
Get the calibration DVD 'Digital Video Essentials' from Amazon to calibrate your settings. It did a nice job for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Calibration Thread