or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › 1080p and component
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1080p and component

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Little out of touch on players these days so forgive me. Is there any players that output 1080P via conponent? Or is my only option to get 1080p output to use HDMI?
post #2 of 10
You are correct. The Blu Ray standard allows for a maximum resolution of 1080i over component.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

You are correct. The Blu Ray standard allows for a maximum resolution of 1080i over component.

Wonder why.
post #4 of 10
exactly, are there even any displays that accept 1080p over component?
post #5 of 10
I believe that's part of the AACS guidelines. No 1080p over component for movies.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thank you.
post #7 of 10
There really shouldn't be any difference if you TV de-interlaces 1080i upto 1080p.
post #8 of 10
Yes there are many tvs that accept 1080p over component, due to copyright protection you can send a 1080p signal from a Blu-Ray player over component, in fact if the manufacturers of the software wish to they can lock your component output to 480p if they feel like it, its all part of the blu ray standard.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post

Yes there are many tvs that accept 1080p over component, due to copyright protection you can send a 1080p signal from a Blu-Ray player over component, in fact if the manufacturers of the software wish to they can lock your component output to 480p if they feel like it, its all part of the blu ray standard.

I wish people would take the three seconds to proofread their posts, since the omission of a simple 't completely changes the meaning of the post....

What bluewaves meant to say is '...due to copyright protection you can't send a 1080p signal from a Blu-Ray player over component...'
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electone View Post

There really shouldn't be any difference if you TV de-interlaces 1080i upto 1080p.

But if it's too old to have an HDMI input, it probably doesn't correctly de-interlace ANY form of 1080i. And even a lot of the recent ones (most? was last year), unless the brand new models have improved a lot, will not correctly process film-based (24fps) 1080i by detecting 3:2 pulldown.

If the TV is interlaced (CRT) of course the 1080i is already good and doesn't need de-interlacing. If it's progressive (flat-panel), probably better off sending it 720p with Blu-ray, as if it doesn't handle 1080i correctly you'll only be seeing 540p (effectively, I think). Definitely use 720p if it's not a 1080p panel (probably not if no HDMI). (Note: This doesn't mean always use 720p for non-1080 displays -- certainly use 1080p if it can be accepted via HDMI.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › 1080p and component