or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@1310 View Post

Alan,

Which Oppo do you have? I have the 980 and am curious how it looks compared to that.

Thanks.

981HD
post #32 of 6745
David Vaughn from Ultimate AV Mag has said he is going to review this one this month. Hopefully this will be coming soon.
post #33 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Only 5.1 with DTS-MA?

Of course since the player is only decoding the core which I don't believe can be anything above 5.1.
post #34 of 6745
That is for 5.1 DTS-MA for the Auto setting which I assume is bitstream.

edit: I guess it says LPCM so I guess that means it is decoding it. Confusing that it only mentions bitstream for optical and coax and says you can only get 2 channel with it.
post #35 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Yes if you set the HDMI audio out to Auto instead of PCM.

According to the manual, the only settings from are Auto and 2ch PCM. How can you tell it to do a bitstream of DTS MA, rather than decoding the DTS core and outputting as 5.1 LPCM? Both of these would fall into the Auto setting, right?
post #36 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

That is for 5.1 DTS-MA for the Auto setting which I assume is bitstream.


Auto could be bitstream or internal decode depending on the capabilities of your receiver. The table is showing you what the player will do if your receiver can't accept TrueHD/DTS-HD-MA bitstream.
post #37 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

According to the manual, the only settings from are Auto and 2ch PCM. How can you tell it to do a bitstream of DTS MA, rather than decoding the DTS core and outputting as 5.1 LPCM? Both of these would fall into the Auto setting, right?

See my previous post above.
post #38 of 6745
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing
> Only 5.1 with DTS-MA?

> I was just looking at that as well. Bummer.

That can't be right. I'm reading the footnote for #5 on 1444_001.pdf, and it doesn't have an entry for "When the AV amplifier does support HD Audio". I think it does bitstream 7.1 out though, it just cannot output 7.1 LPCM- which we knew.
post #39 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Auto could be bitstream or internal decode depending on the capabilities of your receiver. The table is showing you what the player will do if your receiver can't accept TrueHD/DTS-HD-MA bitstream.

So essentially you are saying that there is a column missing from their table on pg 62 of the manual, that would have been labeled Bitstream if the Receiver can support it?

I think this table is what is causing confusion since it says LPCM 5.1 ch (DTS core), and never refers to bitstreaming the full 7.1 DTS MA.
post #40 of 6745
If it only does 5.1 via DTS-HDMA then what would it do if you had a disc with 7.1 HDMA and bitstreamed it to the receiver???
post #41 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

So essentially you are saying that there is a column missing from their table on pg 62 of the manual, that would have been labeled Bitstream if the Receiver can support it?

I think this table is what is causing confusion since it says LPCM 5.1 ch (DTS core), and never refers to bitstreaming the full 7.1 DTS MA.

Read the #5 footnote.
post #42 of 6745
I'm a newbie as well and have the same receiver limitations as you ... I believe the answer to your question is yes, optical out to your AVR and you will get DD5.1 or DTS as you currenty do.
post #43 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

...you can only set the 350 to ouput to one connection and if you configure it for HDMI and set it for AUTO or 1080P, the other connections will not output. However, I set it up for composite output instead of HDMI and ALL connections work fine - including the HDMI. I don't know if it's outputting 1080i or 1080p, but either way it looks GREAT.

Can the video output be set for COMPONENT and have audio output via HDMI at the same time? Thanks
post #44 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

981HD

Thanks. So I guess it should look at least as good as my 980. Maybe a little different, but no major faults like most other BR players. I will have to check it out while waiting to see the new Pioneer.
post #45 of 6745
Thread Starter 
Pretty standard remote.

Also, from reading the manual, you need to buy the memory to even do the bonus view, correct?

 

1449_001.pdf 334.056640625k . file
post #46 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Well, scratch this one and the BDP-S550 off my (already very short) list.
For me at least,
No Source Direct = No Reon/Realta/VP50/etc for 1080i Blu-ray and 480i DVD = NO SALE!

Can you explain that a little more
Are you saying that it cannot output 1080i into a video processor?

Are you saying the 550 cannot do that also

I don't want any video processing from a dvd player, just 1080i from bluray into video processor for deinterlacing

thanks
post #47 of 6745
Thread Starter 
Here is the Bonus View Page:

 

1450_001.pdf 187.333984375k . file
post #48 of 6745
pictures?
post #49 of 6745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

pictures?


Have to be Alan...stuck at work.
post #50 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner View Post

Have to be Alan...stuck at work.

In the absence of pictures, can you tell us if the front of the unit is black or blue? There were some differing photos over the last couple of weeks.
post #51 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner View Post

BD-Live flyer in the box. Says 2008 will be BD-Live.

Excellent work. I hope all you new owners enjoy your new toy. I've subscribed to this thread and will be watching for information about the BD-Live firmware update. Reading the PDF about this indicates that you have to register on the Sony website with your serial number to gain access. I probably will wait to purchase this player until after the firmware is released.
post #52 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

Reading the PDF about this indicates that you have to register on the Sony website with your serial number to gain access.

Please tell me how you get that from "If you would like to be notified via e-mail when this update is available..." Not to mention the second sentence of the flyer says "This enhancement will be delivered to your player over the internet through the network download service or, if you prefer, by a disc-based update." Neither one of those in any way indicates that you need to register with Sony to gain access. Then again, maybe I just have poor reading comprehension skills....
post #53 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

If it only does 5.1 via DTS-HDMA then what would it do if you had a disc with 7.1 HDMA and bitstreamed it to the receiver???

This is from the SonyStyle website description for the 350:

DTS-HD (High Resolution/Master Audio) Bitstream Out
DTS-HD gives you sound quality that matches the crystal clear image of Blu-ray Disc™. With up to 7.1 channels of surround sound and audio that is indistinguishable form the original studio version, DTS-HD promises you an extraordinary surround experience.
post #54 of 6745
How are the disc seeks with this player? The Samsung 1500 I just returned sounded like a meat grinder.
post #55 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner View Post

Pretty standard remote.

Also, from reading the manual, you need to buy the memory to even do the bonus view, correct?


Buy memory? As in Memory Stick (uggh, & I am a complete Sony Fanboi) or just any old USB jump drive will do?)


I think I still have a few days before my 30 days is up on my Samsung BD-P1500, so c'mon S350 owers, we need a full review ASAP!
post #56 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Buy memory? As in Memory Stick (uggh, & I am a complete Sony Fanboi) or just any old USB jump drive will do?)


I think I still have a few days before my 30 days is up on my Samsung BD-P1500, so c'mon S350 owers, we need a full review ASAP!

Looks to me like it is a USB based memory unit (proprietary of course). They say that other USB drives "may" work but they cannot guarantee compatibility. Figures sony would not use an SD card, seems kind of dumb to have a usb drive sticking out the back of the player.
post #57 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Buy memory? As in Memory Stick (uggh, & I am a complete Sony Fanboi) or just any old USB jump drive will do?)
...

USB flash drive, not Memory Stick. They recommend (not require) a specific one, but I would guess that most would work. They don't say much about sizes it can or can't be... but it would be good to have someone try out some larger ones just to make sure it works.
post #58 of 6745
Again, are you guys reading the same things that I'm reading?
"Insert the external memory device (1GB or larger USB flash memory, such as Sony USM1GH) into the EXT slot as your local storage."

That seems pretty clear to me that it should be a (nonproprietary) standard USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 1GB.
post #59 of 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Again, are you guys reading the same things that I'm reading?
"Insert the external memory device (1GB or larger USB flash memory, such as Sony USM1GH) into the EXT slot as your local storage."

That seems pretty clear to me that it should be a (nonproprietary) standard USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 1GB.

Correct.

They do say "... we cannot guarantee compatibility with all USB flash memories" So, it would still be good to have someone try out a few to see how well it is supported or if this statement is just a CYA for them.
post #60 of 6745
This might be a cool one to try. I'm sure you could find it cheaper somewhere, but it would minimize the protrusion out the back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Sony BDP-S350 Owners Thread