or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player - Page 118

post #3511 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

My Denon DVD A1UD Universal player, central my hi-rez system, despite working OK, has never had the smoothest of disc drawers. As it opens and shuts it has always 'juddered' very slightly as if it needs lubricating. On other players I own, notably a very old Sony CDP502ESII, smooth running is achieved by polishing the rails with a clean lint free cloth. Lubrication is probably the last thing one should or could do of course. I'm scared to open up the Denon and in any case I suspect the drive is a separate sealed unit. Any suggestions anyone?

Dave

My A1UD is exhibiting this same disc tray problem, but maybe even more so. It has difficulty when opening, and seems to struggle when closing as well. After a few open/close cycles, it smooths out a little. But after a movie is in an the tray has been closed for a good 2 hours or more, it once again has a a tough time trying to slide out. I'm thinking something is drying out, and that it needs to be re-lubricated.

I called Denon about this, and the person I spoke with was absolutely no help at all. He told me to contact a service center. Ok, I've had my A1UD for over about four years now, so it's obviously out of warranty. So if I decide to take the top off and take a look at what is causing the sticking of the tray, maybe I can do something. Other than the tray issue, my A1 is functionally perfect, and all the Blu-ray's I've played in it play flawlessly.
post #3512 of 3619
I continue to have freezing problems with my A1 playing bluray disc's from Blockbuster. Yet it plays all the bluray discs that I own with no problems. My 3800 bluray player plays the Blockbuster disc's w/o freezing. What does this mean; is it that that my A1 is very sensitive to disc's that are not completely clean? I got my A1 back from repair about 6 months ago and they replaced the bluray drive so I wouldn't think that's the problem. It might be time get a new player and just use the A1 for music which it seems to excel at and doesn't have problems with music disc's.
post #3513 of 3619
It is a sensitive player, that"s the truth.
post #3514 of 3619
After many years of flawless operation today I went to play a DVD-A disc and it would not play, the menu just said No Disc. I opened the tray and closed it again, no difference, the player doesn't see the disc. I put another disc in, same thing, then another, and another, .... out of all of my DVD-A's only 2 would play. No matter how many times I open and shut the tray for a DVD-A disc most are not recognized. I have had these discs for years and never had a problem in the past. I'm also experiencing the same issue on some SACD's and even noticed it on one DVD. I have far too many discs to test everything. So far Blu-rays have been loading without issue. I have unplugged the power cord and let the player sit for a while then re-tested, no difference. The firmware is up to date.

Any one have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
post #3515 of 3619
Oh dear - I have had a similar, if less drastic, experience recently when several new DVD-As would not play. Since they were new I assumed it might be the discs but a friend with an Ayre player had no difficulty. I too would be interested in suggestions of what might be happening and what might cure the problem.
post #3516 of 3619
One of the most likely culprits is the laser head that's used for everything but Blurays - there are most likely 2 laser heads in the player, which explains why Blurays are still working fine.
post #3517 of 3619
Thanks. That's definitely a possibility then. It occurred to me later this afternoon that within just the past few weeks is when I applied the most recent update. I wish I could remember when I last listened to a DVD-Audio disc, I know it couldn't be more then 3-4 months ago and whatever I played worked fine then and it wouldn't have been either of the 2 discs that still do play.

DJB of Poole, when did you start experiencing those issues and do you know if it was after the most recent update (assuming you update the firmware)?

gsr, do you have any DVD-Audio discs to try?
post #3518 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

gsr, do you have any DVD-Audio discs to try?
I do, but playing them in my Oppo won't tell you much biggrin.gif. I don't own a DVD-A1UDCI.
post #3519 of 3619
Ah, gotcha smile.gif
post #3520 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post


DJB of Poole, when did you start experiencing those issues and do you know if it was after the most recent update (assuming you update the firmware)?

My firmware is up to date according to the machine. I am a UK user so there might be differences of course. I had this difficulty about two weeks ago when trying a couple of DVD-A discs I had been given to review. The situation was that some discs played and others did not but I have so few it was not very important to sort it out. The important stuff for me is the SACD and Blu-ray repertoire; these all play just fine. All the DVD-As played on a friend's Ayre Universal so it wasn't the discs themselves.

Others have noted that two lasers are used in the DVDA1. Is one for CD/DVD-V and the other for the hi-rez discs SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray? If this is so then any problems I have experienced cannot be down to laser alignment because I regularly play discs from both groups.
post #3521 of 3619
There should be one laser for Bluray (blue) and another for everything else (red), AFAIK.
post #3522 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There should be one laser for Bluray (blue) and another for everything else (red), AFAIK.

I can confirm that as that is what I was told when I had my unit in for repair to replace the bluray laser.
post #3523 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I can confirm that as that is what I was told when I had my unit in for repair to replace the bluray laser.

Thanks - with that settled it confirms my belief that the lasers are OK because the same laser is used by SACD, CD, DVD-A and DVD-V. Since all these formats work except DVD-A, and even that works some of the time, the problems I experienced with DVD-As must surely be down to dodgy discs. In which case why should they be OK on a different player?

Dave
post #3524 of 3619
I have a question as to what should my settings should be when playing m/c dvd-a and sacd via the m/c analog outs. First question is under "HDMI Setup" under the sub heading "Audio Setup" the choices are 1. Auto 2. Multi LPCM BM On 3. Multi LPCM BM Off and lastly 4. Mute. I have noticed that when playing thru the m/c analog outputs when the default choice of "Auto" is selected the volume is about 5 db hotter than if "Mute" is selected. This is the case whether LPCM BM is set to On or Off. Also can any one explain under "Audio Setup" the "Source Direct" choices which are either On or Off I would imagine that the default setting of Off is the correct since according to the manual this enables the speaker and bass management settings, and the selection of On disables the speaker and bass management settings. Honestly these two sections in the manual have always been confusing to me and my calls to Denon customer service for an explanation haven't helped.
post #3525 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

Thanks - with that settled it confirms my belief that the lasers are OK because the same laser is used by SACD, CD, DVD-A and DVD-V. Since all these formats work except DVD-A, and even that works some of the time, the problems I experienced with DVD-As must surely be down to dodgy discs. In which case why should they be OK on a different player?

Dave

For me that wouldn't be the case because I have played my DVD-A's many, many times and have never had a problem, same goes for SACD's and DVD's so whatever is wrong with my player may very well be a laser issue. I freakin' hate the new Denon website layout, neither the US or Canada sites put up an e-mail, you must create a Denon account but this can only be done for US residents. I'll have to let my dealer know and get them to ask Denon.

Does anyone have any idea what the turn around time is when sending in units? This is going to suck, granted I have my PS3 for a back-up Blu-ray player but with my Lexicon MC-12 I don't have HDMI so I can't get dts-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD out of my PS3 because I need analog connections for my MC-12, I can only use the toslink and get the legacy Dolby and dts tracks.
post #3526 of 3619
I always run Source Direct On because I'm strictly analog and use my MC-12 to do bass management but apparently a lot of receivers and SSP's don't allow bass management on 5.1 analog inputs. I don't use HDMI for audio so I'm not sure what my player is set at in the HDMI menu.
post #3527 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

For me that wouldn't be the case because I have played my DVD-A's many, many times and have never had a problem, same goes for SACD's and DVD's so whatever is wrong with my player may very well be a laser issue. I freakin' hate the new Denon website layout, neither the US or Canada sites put up an e-mail, you must create a Denon account but this can only be done for US residents. I'll have to let my dealer know and get them to ask Denon.

Does anyone have any idea what the turn around time is when sending in units? This is going to suck, granted I have my PS3 for a back-up Blu-ray player but with my Lexicon MC-12 I don't have HDMI so I can't get dts-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD out of my PS3 because I need analog connections for my MC-12, I can only use the toslink and get the legacy Dolby and dts tracks.

I wish I had good news regarding how long it is going to take as my experience was that it was painfully slow. I wound up sending mine to their main repair facility in New Jersey that was after I drove it to a relatively nearby repair company (about 50 miles) that Denon works with. Unfortunately they only were able to fix half of my problem. The bluray laser replacement only worked for a short time which is when I sent it to New Jersey per Denon's request. I believe it took around a month, but hopefully you will have better luck than me.
post #3528 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I always run Source Direct On because I'm strictly analog and use my MC-12 to do bass management but apparently a lot of receivers and SSP's don't allow bass management on 5.1 analog inputs. I don't use HDMI for audio so I'm not sure what my player is set at in the HDMI menu.

Rod, I believe you and I discussed this on some earlier posts. Unfortunately as good a processor the SSP-800 is, one of its shortcomings is not allowing bass management when using the m/c analogs which I seem to prefer for most m/c dvd-a's and sacd's so I need to turn it off when listening that media. I guess since I have to do this I might as well under the HDMI setup change it from "auto" to "Mute" since it seems strange that when I leave the HDMI audio setup to auto and select the m/c analogs on my Classe SSP-800 pre-pro the volume is about 5db hotter. Now I am thinking that even though I am selecting the m/c analogs on my pre-pro that maybe it is actually playing thru the HDMI connection since in the A1's manual it states when selecting "Auto" = Automatically selects and outputs signals that can be input to the connected HDMI device with the bitstream taking priority. Maybe that would explain the 5 db higher volume when I leave auto on. With it on I am actually using the HDMI and not the m/c analogs? Rod is my thinking off base regarding this?
Edited by mt14942 - 5/21/13 at 3:02pm
post #3529 of 3619
hmmm, you may be onto something there. As a quick test, next time you listen to your SACD's, DVD-A's, etc. pull out the HDMI connection and see what happens with the volume. Something else to consider, digital and analog simply may not always play at the same volume. For example, in my MC-12 if I pop in a DVD and play it through analog my volume is typically between -14 to -9 depending on the movie. If I switch to digital i.e. coax, my volume has to drop to between -23 and -18 typically, so a huge difference. This was also the case with my older Denon DVD-5900.
post #3530 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

hmmm, you may be onto something there. As a quick test, next time you listen to your SACD's, DVD-A's, etc. pull out the HDMI connection and see what happens with the volume. Something else to consider, digital and analog simply may not always play at the same volume. For example, in my MC-12 if I pop in a DVD and play it through analog my volume is typically between -14 to -9 depending on the movie. If I switch to digital i.e. coax, my volume has to drop to between -23 and -18 typically, so a huge difference. This was also the case with my older Denon DVD-5900.

Rod that's a good idea about disconnecting the HDMI. That would tell me if it's playing thru the HDMI or the m/c analogs and if it has anything to do with the higher volume output when setting it to "Auto" vs. "Mute".
post #3531 of 3619
Guys the problem has been reported a couple of years ago from me. It"s a dirty lens. It needs cleaning.The problem is that it isn"t easy to open up the cover of the mechanism. If you suceed though it"s pretty easy to clear the lens with wintex.
post #3532 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

After many years of flawless operation today I went to play a DVD-A disc and it would not play, the menu just said No Disc. I opened the tray and closed it again, no difference, the player doesn't see the disc. I put another disc in, same thing, then another, and another, .... out of all of my DVD-A's only 2 would play. No matter how many times I open and shut the tray for a DVD-A disc most are not recognized. I have had these discs for years and never had a problem in the past. I'm also experiencing the same issue on some SACD's and even noticed it on one DVD. I have far too many discs to test everything. So far Blu-rays have been loading without issue. I have unplugged the power cord and let the player sit for a while then re-tested, no difference. The firmware is up to date.

Any one have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Guys the problem has been reported a couple of years ago from me. It"s a dirty lens. It needs cleaning.The problem is that it isn"t easy to open up the cover of the mechanism. If you suceed though it"s pretty easy to clear the lens with wintex.

Try using the search words "no disc" on this thread and the DBP-4010UDCI thread, others have experienced this issue...AVforums in the UK is also worth checking out irt this issue w/Denon players.
Not an DVD-A1UDCI owner here but I do have it's little brother DBP-A100 (aka DBP-4010) and it's prone to be problematic w/this issue as well. Some owners in the UK who posted on AVForums 4010 thread have had some luck using compressed air to clean the lens. Also have seen posts reporting using a brushless lens cleaner disc too. I personally have not had to do any of this yet, so far after a year of heavy use I haven't experienced the "no disc" thing very often..but I'm extra careful about cleaning discs with this unit because of it's tendency to be hyper-sensitive to dust,etc. Usually re-cleaning and/or re-loading will work for me, but I know someday I'll probably face having to deal with cleaning the lens. Worst case scenario is replacement of parts, I've read posts which reference this "no disc" issue and part(s) replacement & service/repair appears to be the only resolution in some cases...
post #3533 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Guys the problem has been reported a couple of years ago from me. It"s a dirty lens. It needs cleaning.The problem is that it isn"t easy to open up the cover of the mechanism. If you suceed though it"s pretty easy to clear the lens with wintex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarrickman View Post


Try using the search words "no disc" on this thread and the DBP-4010UDCI thread, others have experienced this issue...AVforums in the UK is also worth checking out irt this issue w/Denon players.
Not an DVD-A1UDCI owner here but I do have it's little brother DBP-A100 (aka DBP-4010) and it's prone to be problematic w/this issue as well. Some owners in the UK who posted on AVForums 4010 thread have had some luck using compressed air to clean the lens. Also have seen posts reporting using a brushless lens cleaner disc too. I personally have not had to do any of this yet, so far after a year of heavy use I haven't experienced the "no disc" thing very often..but I'm extra careful about cleaning discs with this unit because of it's tendency to be hyper-sensitive to dust,etc. Usually re-cleaning and/or re-loading will work for me, but I know someday I'll probably face having to deal with cleaning the lens. Worst case scenario is replacement of parts, I've read posts which reference this "no disc" issue and part(s) replacement & service/repair appears to be the only resolution in some cases...

Thanks

If it is dust then that's an easy enough fix. I'm not comfortable taking the cover off and trying this for myself so it'll have to at least go to my dealer and if they are a qualified service center then at least I wouldn't be without the player for very long. My hunch is though the player will have to go to Denon.

I tried blowing into the player through the open disc drawer on the off chance of removing dust smile.gif needless to say this didn't work. Hey, it was worth a shot biggrin.gif
post #3534 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I continue to have freezing problems with my A1 playing bluray disc's from Blockbuster. Yet it plays all the bluray discs that I own with no problems. My 3800 bluray player plays the Blockbuster disc's w/o freezing. What does this mean; is it that that my A1 is very sensitive to disc's that are not completely clean? I got my A1 back from repair about 6 months ago and they replaced the bluray drive so I wouldn't think that's the problem. It might be time get a new player and just use the A1 for music which it seems to excel at and doesn't have problems with music disc's.

Same here, with me this problem got worse and my own purchased dvds which i own started skipping and freezing so i have put mine in to the denon service department and i am now waiting to find out what the answer to this problem is .As i posted in a previous post about the bluray disc "Total Recall" not playing from 2 different rental companies, i will get to the bottom of it soon enough and let you know what my problem is.I think you and i have a similar issue here. In regards to your question as to your player being sensitive, i believe its a sensitive player, but at a $10,000 price tag this machine should be playing discs without the issues we are facing.My player is only 3 years old and if this problem persists after it has been in for service i will be writing a firm letter to Denon on the grounds that the machine has only lasted 3 years for the amount of money outlayed.

post #3535 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Same here, with me this problem got worse and my own purchased dvds which i own started skipping and freezing so i have put mine in to the denon service department and i am now waiting to find out what the answer to this problem is .As i posted in a previous post about the bluray disc "Total Recall" not playing from 2 different rental companies, i will get to the bottom of it soon enough and let you know what my problem is.I think you and i have a similar issue here. In regards to your question as to your player being sensitive, i believe its a sensitive player, but at a $10,000 price tag this machine should be playing discs without the issues we are facing.My player is only 3 years old and if this problem persists after it has been in for service i will be writing a firm letter to Denon on the grounds that the machine has only lasted 3 years for the amount of money outlayed.

I certainly can empathize and agree with you regarding the aggravation we have had to endure for the money we spent. I hope you do get resolution to your problem. Let us know what Denon determines the problem to be.
post #3536 of 3619
I am trying hard to get the correct understanding of the "Source Direct" option under Audio Setup in the manual. The manual reads: (page 29 on the online manual)
SOURCE DIRECT OFF = Enable the speaker and subwoofer settings
SOURCE DIRECT ON 50 kHz or 100kHz = Output the disc content as is. When playing super audio cd output up to 50 kHz or 100 kHz audio signals. My First question: Since "Source Direct' off enables the speaker and subwoofer settings does that mean that “Source Direct” on would disable the speaker and subwoofer settings in the A1?
It further goes on to read in a separate note: Setting of “On” 50 or 100 kHz enables full range playback on all channels recommended for DTS. (Note that this results in a 5 dB increase in subwoofer volume and 15dB increase with super audio cd) This also allows you to playback the 6 channel source of dvd audio recorded on all channels with full frequency range. In this case make an analog connection according to the disc operating manual.
Than it also says, when set to on with either 50 or 100kHz all speaker sizes are set to “large” and “yes” is set for the subwoofer also “Channel Level” and “Distance” settings are available.
Second question does the “Source Direct” option only function with the Analog connections or does it also come into play when going the HDMI connection for the audio? Third question: Does "Source Direct" only come into play with SACD and DVD-A or does it also come into play with bluray? I would greatly appreciate if anybody could shed some light on my confusion.
Edited by mt14942 - 5/26/13 at 12:02pm
post #3537 of 3619
Maybe I am dense when it comes to info provided in the manual regarding "Source Direct" The explanations just seem ambiguous to me. Maybe I am not the only one who is confused by this.
post #3538 of 3619
Without having used the machine as a standalone decoder, eg dolby true, dts ma, i can safely suppose source direct works in all cases.Actually i "ve tested on blu and it worked. I saw some kind of difference but can"t remember what it was.
As for the dirty discs , you and the other guys posted before, don"t fool your selves, it is not the dirty disc. It is the stubborn filth that sits on the lens , which prohibits the beam get into the disc. Compressed air won"t do the trick. It has to be opened up , remove the mechanism"s cover and clean the only one lens with a qtip wet by windex. Don"t use alcohol , it will destroy the plastic lens.
post #3539 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Without having used the machine as a standalone decoder, eg dolby true, dts ma, i can safely suppose source direct works in all cases.Actually i "ve tested on blu and it worked. I saw some kind of difference but can"t remember what it was.
As for the dirty discs , you and the other guys posted before, don"t fool your selves, it is not the dirty disc. It is the stubborn filth that sits on the lens , which prohibits the beam get into the disc. Compressed air won"t do the trick. It has to be opened up , remove the mechanism"s cover and clean the only one lens with a qtip wet by windex. Don"t use alcohol , it will destroy the plastic lens.

Thanks jomark, so does that mean you have "Source Direct" set to "On" all the time? This is what I have been doing for both when I am using the m/c analog connection (for m/c sacd's) or the HDMI connection (for bluray and m/c dvd-a's) into my SSP-800 prepro. The main reason I questioned why I have set it to on is that the manual says "Off" enables the speaker and subwoofer settings, but than it later states when set to on with either 50 kHz or 100 kHz all speaker sizes are set to “large” and “yes” is set for the subwoofer also “Channel Level” and “Distance” settings are available. This is the part that seems contradictory to me.
post #3540 of 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I always run Source Direct On because I'm strictly analog and use my MC-12 to do bass management but apparently a lot of receivers and SSP's don't allow bass management on 5.1 analog inputs. I don't use HDMI for audio so I'm not sure what my player is set at in the HDMI menu.

I would think you would select the "Mute" option in the HDMI Setup menu under audio setup. Of course you can still disengage the HDMI with the "Pure Direct" button on the remote control for CD, SACD & DVD-A's if you don't need to see the video for DVD-A which I would imagine would be the same as muting the HDMI in the setup menu.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DVD-A1UD/DVD-A1UDCI Blu-Ray/DVD/SACD/DVD-A/ Universal Player