or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Which is the better lcd the Samsung LN46A530 or the LG 47LG50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which is the better lcd the Samsung LN46A530 or the LG 47LG50

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I know that one is a 46 inch and the other is a 47 inch and that one has a 20,000:1 Contrast Ratio, and the lg has a 15,000:1 contrast ratio

I havent seen the samsung in person , but I have heard its an excellent tv,

\\butI have seen the LG in Person and it looks like a good tv , really sharp ect
post #2 of 15
Both the 530 and the 50 series are older models which have been recently replaced by the 550's and 60 series units from the respective companies. However, the 50 series from LG is a VERY good set (I own the 37 inch version) and picked it over the 550 series Samsung in the same size.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
ok thanks for your input, anyone else?
you picked the lg over the samsung , but which tv had the better contrast ratio/?
post #4 of 15
I'm debating between the same two sets, mostly for video games. Any insight would be much appreciated.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey View Post

ok thanks for your input, anyone else?
you picked the lg over the samsung , but which tv had the better contrast ratio/?

Contrast ratio is a VERY minor issue. It's more of a marketing gimmick than it is any type of real life issue. The LG has the ability to allow you to make VERY detailed adjustments that go WAY beyond the simple contrast adjustments of a typical set. Therefore, it is FAR better (in my opinion). In fact, cNet and other independent sites that have reviewed them have also stated that with this series, you can set the display to accurately reproduce the original content to nearly ISF calibration specifications. You can NOT do that with the Samsung. So, this tells me that the LG provides ISF-compliant contrast functions.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
ok thanks ill tell the folks
post #7 of 15
I just got the 42LG50, so far I am pretty happy about it,
just wondering if I should spend more money to get a 46'' sharp

here is some of my thought of it on the other thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1052430
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Both the 530 and the 50 series are older models which have been recently replaced by the 550's and 60 series units from the respective companies. However, the 50 series from LG is a VERY good set (I own the 37 inch version) and picked it over the 550 series Samsung in the same size.

The first sentence is is incorrect. The 50 and 60 are both current models in the LG line-up and, I believe, that both the 530 and 550 are current models in the Samsung line-up.

The second sentence is spot on as I too chose the 37LG50 over the 37A550 (the matte screen on the LG was certainly a factor for me). In fact, I have been so pleased with the 37LG50 that, just last week, I picked up a 47LG50 to replace a 3-1/2 year Sony RPTV that has begun acting up.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Contrast ratio is a VERY minor issue. It's more of a marketing gimmick than it is any type of real life issue. The LG has the ability to allow you to make VERY detailed adjustments that go WAY beyond the simple contrast adjustments of a typical set. Therefore, it is FAR better (in my opinion). In fact, cNet and other independent sites that have reviewed them have also stated that with this series, you can set the display to accurately reproduce the original content to nearly ISF calibration specifications. You can NOT do that with the Samsung. So, this tells me that the LG provides ISF-compliant contrast functions.

Do you have a link to any of these reviews? I tried to search cnet but couldn't find it (their search engine isn't the greatest though), and I can't find the detailed adjustments you speak of.

I did see that the LG60 series has very detailed adjustments (10 point grayscale and full CMS is pretty awesome), but I don't see either of these features on the LG50 series.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Both the 530 and the 50 series are older models which have been recently replaced by the 550's and 60 series units from the respective companies. However, the 50 series from LG is a VERY good set (I own the 37 inch version) and picked it over the 550 series Samsung in the same size.

Wow this statement could not have been more wrong.

Samsung released the 530 and 550 at the exact same time, with the 550 being the higher contrast unit in the 5 Series. LG released the 50 and 60 at the same time with the 60 being a different shape and having more features.

That said both the 530 and 50 are good TV's and I would give the nod to the Samsung since it is easier to find at a lower price, but for the same money both are good. Also TV's under 40" from Samsung have worse specs than their 40 and above brethren, so comparing the 37's from 2 companies wont quite tell you about the 46's.

I would still agree though that the 46A550 is the TV you should go with, with the 46A530 behind it.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey View Post

I know that one is a 46 inch and the other is a 47 inch and that one has a 20,000:1 Contrast Ratio, and the lg has a 15,000:1 contrast ratio

forget the 5000 difference in contrast ratio.
i have both of these sets, the lg 47g50 and the 40a530 (not the 46" one).
both sets are fine sets, but i prefer the samsung.

after some tweaking, i got both sets to display nearly an identical picture so i don't think there's a whole lot of difference in picture quality.

the samsung has a better remote (it's backlit too), more picture options, slightly better blacks.

one of the major things to check on the lg is its off-axis viewing.

really, the only advantage i think the lg has over the samsung is price.
post #12 of 15
charlie22,

You say, "one of the major things to check on the lg is its off-axis viewing". Do you mean that the LG has better or worse off-axis viewing that the Samsung does?

For example, I have a 47LG50, and if I watch a "darker" movie viewing from dead center of the panel, it looks absolutely gorgeous, even the blacks. But, if I move slightly horizontal to the left or right of center (and I'd guess this is only a 10-15 degree shift), I notice the left or right side of the screen (roughly 2-4 inches from the bezel) begin to slightly "lighten up" or "white glow" or whatever the term is. It's enough that it's noticable to me anyway.

Does the Samsung exhibit this same "lightening" when shifting view from slightly off center, or does the horizontal off center viewing have to be pretty drastic (say 30-40 degrees) before you notice any "white-glow" occuring? Thanks.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Contrast ratio is a VERY minor issue. It's more of a marketing gimmick than it is any type of real life issue.


Please take some time to educate yourself on contrast ratio. It is a major component to picture quality and by all means no gimmick.
post #14 of 15
both of these are the same price right now at CC. which would you prefer?
post #15 of 15
I was completely sold on the LN46A550 until I saw this deal. I am not comfortable with my knowledge of LG or this model to bite the bullet.
The LG is being bundled with an LG Blue Ray player for $50 Less than the 550.

Please chime in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Which is the better lcd the Samsung LN46A530 or the LG 47LG50