or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Whatever Happened to PIP, PAP and POP?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whatever Happened to PIP, PAP and POP? - Page 2

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Ho View Post

I think they realized that a large majority of consumers thought PIP was a cool must-have feature but never actually used it. It is very rare that I come across a client that actually uses it.


My Dish DVR has PIP but I never use it.


Me too, its just a toy/gadget and of no real use to 99%
post #32 of 36
It appears that Panasonic has the answer with their 2013 Viera Smart TV. t has dual tuners and split screen. awesome!
However it does not seem to be available in the USA yet.. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQkY9A2Xfw[/URL]
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishman View Post

It appears that Panasonic has the answer with their 2013 Viera Smart TV. t has dual tuners and split screen. awesome! However it does not seem to be available in the USA yet.. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I don't think we'll ever see another TV in the USA with dual-tuners or split screen or PIP or POP. There just isn't enough demand for it to justify the high cost of incorporating it in a TV.
post #34 of 36
No...dual tuners ARE a 'MUST have' feature...Too many want antenna TV to save on the budget. Many have basic cable, able to be displayed using the tuner along with antenna. Readily used more than one would think. wink.gif
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

No...dual tuners ARE a 'MUST have' feature...Too many want antenna TV to save on the budget. Many have basic cable, able to be displayed using the tuner along with antenna. Readily used more than one would think. wink.gif

On the HDTV Hardware forum someone posted links to statistics showing that only about 15% of the TV viewers in America use their TV's internal tuners - the other 85% use external sources such as Cable or Satellite or Internet based content. I'm sure the TV manufacturers are well aware of this which probably explains why they stopped including dual tuners and PIP etc almost 10 years ago. It's very expensive to add this feature on millions of TVs and not worth it when you factor in the lack of usefulness to the TV buying public.
post #36 of 36
Sony's new medium level R series now has pip pap. I just ordered the 70" and the 32"

Sony KDL70R550-$2479.00

Sony KDL32-R400-$295.00
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Whatever Happened to PIP, PAP and POP?