or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO EDGE !! - Page 9

post #241 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

EDGE does have Mosquito Noise Reduction which does address MPEG compression artifacts.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, I'd like to be able to address the problem where the image brings up very briefly into smaller tiles or 'blocks' during fast movement. Does the EDGE address that or do I have to step up into the VP series?
post #242 of 7061
How often does Gefen introduce firmware for their products? How was their first TV scaler pro? I think everyone knows the answer and there is no point in stating the obvious.
post #243 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Which one is better looking on paper DVDO's newly announced EDGE or Gefen TV Scaler Pro with Realta?

On paper, EDGE is better and cosmetically, EDGE is better. I do have a slight bias though...
post #244 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, I'd like to be able to address the problem where the image brings up very briefly into smaller tiles or 'blocks' during fast movement. Does the EDGE address that or do I have to step up into the VP series?

You are referring to block noise reduction. This is not on the VP50PRO, which the ABT2010 ASIC in EDGE is based upon.
post #245 of 7061
I have a question for Josh. Will the Edge have the nice INFO button that tells us everything? Like the 50pro and your other VPs...
post #246 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have a question for Josh. Will the Edge have the nice INFO button that tells us everything? Like the 50pro and your other VPs...

Of course!
post #247 of 7061
I'm sold.

Serisouly though, some don't realize how important it is to see everything that is going on at a touch of a button. The Edge having this feature is another feather in its hat...
post #248 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

You are referring to block noise reduction. This is not on the VP50PRO, which the ABT2010 ASIC in EDGE is based upon.

Excellent!
post #249 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Excellent!

I think you misread Josh's response. He said the EDGE does *not* have BNR.
post #250 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

The 33% vertical stretch is supported on EDGE. Horizontal squeeze for fixed lens anamorphic configurations is not supported on EDGE (it is on the VP50/VP50PRO).

Thank you josh !

But what about the second question which was :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemesle View Post


But what if we use no anamorphic lens ? Can we zoom (or use underscan) 66% horizontally and vertically to reduce a 16/9 image in order to be totally visible in a 2.35:1 screen ?

On the VP50Pro, the underscan is limited to 75% which is not enough and zoom start at 100% with is not enough too...

What about the Edge ?

Richard.

Thanks again,

Richard.
post #251 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post

I think you misread Josh's response. He said the EDGE does *not* have BNR.

You're right, I read it as the EDGE had it but the VP50PRO didn't, that's a bummer.
post #252 of 7061
Can the Edge make me a ham sandwich? Can I get a Edge t-shirt?
post #253 of 7061
Josh:

One last question from me -- is there going to be a rack mount option, ie ears for the Edge?

Best,
post #254 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Josh:

One last question from me -- is there going to be a rack mount option, ie ears for the Edge?

Best,

EDGE does not have a rack ears option although it could certainly go a shelf in a rack and we plan on working with Mid Atlantic on providing them all necessary measurements to make a trim piece.
post #255 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

EDGE does not have a rack ears option although it could certainly go a shelf in a rack and we plan on working with Mid Atlantic on providing them all necessary measurements to make a trim piece.

Josh:

THat's fine. I am actually considering a Shelf-5 with a blank cover as no one really needs to see any of the "ugly guts" of the system anyway

Cheers,
post #256 of 7061
use of the MA OCAP-2, a vented clamping shelf, works well with the Edge

-Gary
post #257 of 7061
Thread Starter 
For those that have submitted a Public Beta testing questionnaire but have not heard back from me yet, I decided to take the weekend off but I will be getting back to sending out the Beta agreement NDAs tomorrow.
post #258 of 7061
I want the T-shirt!
post #259 of 7061
Get in line!
post #260 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

use of the MA OCAP-2, a vented clamping shelf, works well with the Edge

-Gary

I prefer the shelf to be a bit more substantial myself

Cheers,
post #261 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

I prefer the shelf to be a bit more substantial myself

Cheers,

I know what you mean John, but these clamping shelves are the real deal IMHO, very sturdy and stable once attached in the rack, the way the clamping bars are designed the units are as rock steady as if they had rack ears on them, plus you get better ventilation

but as Josh said, MA will have a kit available as soon as someone sends them a Edge to configure, I change gear around so much that I have never wanted to spend the cash on them, they are very nice though

-Gary
post #262 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

Bear

The problem is there is no one pattern. You need a number of them. Then you are not adjusting the EDGE but your display.

Use one of the available calibration disks to fine tune your display. You then use the EDGE to tweek each input to your liking.

Interestingly if we take 10 people on this thread who only want the one additional feature to make them happy and add them then the EDGE becomes a VPxx and no longer costs $799.

well i think to do basics like color and gray scale you could get away with just a RGB AND A GRAYSCAEL test pattern.I know about calibration disks and i have a electronic eye to take color temp readings.But like i said i am not joe average consumer.They dont have this equipment or even know how to use it.I dont think every electronics consumer is on AVSFORUM .Im sure DVDO is marketing this product to more than the guys in this forum.
post #263 of 7061
Any chance of a corrected 50Hz porch output for CRT users?

E.g an extra two or three output modes

CRT - 720p@50Hz
CRT - 1080i@50Hz
CRT - 1080p@50Hz

I think with the value of CRT's becoming lower this could open up your market to a range of CRT users that don't want to pay big bucks for a processor, but would like to use this in conjunction with a HD Fury etc.
post #264 of 7061
Hi Josh, I was trying to find out if it's able to do specific percentage overscan/underscan control. Some of the similar product has no option, so the results is, it's either overscan too much or underscan too much.

Please advice. Thanks a lot!
post #265 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

Not only can EDGE output 1080p-24 from 1080i content, it can do this with 480i, 480p and 720p content.... No other video processor on the market (other than the VP50/VP50PRO ) can do this.

That is just plain false... unless you know something I don't know. I believe that current Lumagen scalers do this as well.
post #266 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy View Post

That is just plain false... unless you know something I don't know. I believe that current Lumagen scalers do this as well.

I believe that you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyFreeman View Post

I'm not trying to mislead anyone. We won't be doing cadence detection for 480p, 720p or 1080p60 video sources.
post #267 of 7061
looking at the comparison table makes me wonder......

VP50Pro retailed @ $3499 but widely available @ ebay for $2K (57% of SRP)
VP50 retailed @ $2499 but widely available @ ebay for $1150 (46% of SRP)

would EDGE retailed @ $799 become widely available online for < $400?

Do you guys feel that $500 is a reasonable price for beta tester?
post #268 of 7061
Unless those Ebay prices are from a DVDO Ebay store, they mean nothing. Ebay pricing references are pointless. They could be used, white van specials... What about warranty?
post #269 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMbEst View Post

looking at the comparison table makes me wonder......

VP50Pro retailed @ $3499 but widely available @ ebay for $2K (57% of SRP)
VP50 retailed @ $2499 but widely available @ ebay for $1150 (46% of SRP)

would EDGE retailed @ $799 become widely available online for < $400?

Do you guys feel that $500 is a reasonable price for beta tester?

thats because of all the fly by night dealers on ebay that are selling the scalers for about a 10$ profit and a loss in many cases, these dealers have ruined the retail pricing of DVDO products and couldn't provide support for them if they had a gun to their head, 99% of cases they are buying from distributors (which are not supposed to sell to them) no support, iffy warranty

see how long they remain in business DVDO has allowed their retail sales chain to be ruined IMHO

-Gary
post #270 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMbEst View Post

looking at the comparison table makes me wonder......

VP50Pro retailed @ $3499 but widely available @ ebay for $2K (57% of SRP)
VP50 retailed @ $2499 but widely available @ ebay for $1150 (46% of SRP)

would EDGE retailed @ $799 become widely available online for < $400?

Do you guys feel that $500 is a reasonable price for beta tester?

This is purely speculation.

EDGE will not be available from any dealers that plan on staying dealers and receiving product for $400, let alone $500.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!