or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO EDGE !! - Page 228

post #6811 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

I have the original Edge and recently it will not detect any components plunged into the HDMI inputs, the HDMI output works fine and it will switch when I use the composit input. When I try to use the HDMI inputs the light turns Red. Any suggestions/

I'd try resetting the Edge first. Do make sure to note all your settings as you'll need to reenter them all which is rather annoying, but...

I was having a variety of startup problems where the Output format was changing and sometimes the Brightness & Hue were going to +32 at power up. After resetting the Edge it's been smooth sailing since...
post #6812 of 7060
Just watched a few video reviews for the Edge Green, and man oh man am I sold! Why? Because it reduces input lag GREATLY. delivering below 1 frame(6ms) on 'any' HDTV....
Years and years of gamers complaining about input lag and having such a tremendously low selection on HDTV's because of this shocking degree of input lag that varies across the boards on every set is finally over.....IF you're willing to shell out $500 to get the Edge Green. I know I am!
post #6813 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Just watched a few video reviews for the Edge Green, and man oh man am I sold! Why? Because it reduces input lag GREATLY. delivering below 1 frame(6ms) on 'any' HDTV....
Years and years of gamers complaining about input lag and having such a tremendously low selection on HDTV's because of this shocking degree of input lag that varies across the boards on every set is finally over.....IF you're willing to shell out $500 to get the Edge Green. I know I am!
Since you posted your excitement on several threads, I thought I'd better mention this website where AVS Forum member Fuduh has reviewed video processors from a gaming perspective.
post #6814 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Since you posted your excitement on several threads, I thought I'd better mention this website where AVS Forum member Fuduh has reviewed video processors from a gaming perspective.

Thanks for the link! Btw, it says in the Edge review that you can't control the sharpness when in 'game mode' Now, i couldn't care less about the benifits
that the Edge delivers in picture quality performance, i want the PQ performance and PQ control that i already have available to me on my Plasma. Can't i just adjust my TV's
sharpness when using the Edge in game mode?
post #6815 of 7060
I'm pretty sure that you misunderstand the basic concept of a VP. See my other reply in the VP30 thread a few hours ago.
post #6816 of 7060
Assuming one were to use an HDMI v1.4-equipped AVR or AVP with no onboard video processor, is it acceptable to connect the video/audio HDMI output on the EDGE GREEN to the AVP rather than to the display, with a single HDMI cable running from the ARC-enabled HDMI output on the AVP to the ARC-enabled HDMI input on the display?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Edited by GaryMB - 7/14/12 at 10:31pm
post #6817 of 7060
Compared to the Onkyo 515 (which uses QDEO processor) about the same cost (or even less) how good this does converting

a. 480p to 1080P
b. 1080i to 1080P

Also how does it do compared to the Onkyo 809 (which uses HQV-VIDA up to 1080P)

Anyone please. smile.gif
post #6818 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilla60 View Post

Compared to the Onkyo 515 (which uses QDEO processor) about the same cost (or even less) how good this does converting
a. 480p to 1080P
b. 1080i to 1080P
Also how does it do compared to the Onkyo 809 (which uses HQV-VIDA up to 1080P)
Anyone please. smile.gif
Go for the unit with the HQV or the cheaper unit with an Edge.

Fwiw, I recently removed the Edge from my setup after upgrading the receiver to a Yamaha RX-A2010 which uses the HQV Vida 1900. I was quite happy with the Edge, but the HQV is also excellent and made the Edge redundant for my needs.

The first key step to successfully scaling is proper de-interlacing and his where, IMHO, the Qdeo remains weak compared to the Edge and HQV. I was able to compare the results of all three processors using my Oppo BDP-93 (Qdeo), Edge, and Yamaha and the Qdeo was, IMHO, the weakest of the three at deinterlacing.
post #6819 of 7060
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I guess then I will go with Onkyo TX-NR1009. Even though it uses the HQV chip, how to know what is implemented in this particular reciever. I asked the Question in the Audio section & obviously most of them even set VP off:) eek.gif
Anyone here recommend a particular model (Obviously around $800) ? Thanks !
post #6820 of 7060
Jilla60 - A lot of people may have different opinions on the topic, but I really like having an external VP. It allows me to not give a moment's notice to a receiver's scaling, de-interlacing, or whatever else comes along. I just buy a receiver that does the best job with audio for the money I wish to spend, whether it be a McIntosh MC8207, or an entry level Onkyo. Since I bought my Edge I've updated by receiver twice and each time there has been such a feeling of freedom because I can simply base by decision on the sonic abilities of the receiver.
post #6821 of 7060
Scaling and de-interlacing is now in the form of commodity chips all about the same and probably in many of your devices. The only reason for VPs these days is old devices with oddball resolutions, aspect rations, etc.
post #6822 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Scaling and de-interlacing is now in the form of commodity chips all about the same and probably in many of your devices. The only reason for VPs these days is old devices with oddball resolutions, aspect rations, etc.

I understand your point, but some VPs do more that deinterlacing and scaling by having full CMS and multi-point grayscale adjustments. These can contribute greatly to overall PQ.
post #6823 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Jilla60 - A lot of people may have different opinions on the topic, but I really like having an external VP. It allows me to not give a moment's notice to a receiver's scaling, de-interlacing, or whatever else comes along. I just buy a receiver that does the best job with audio for the money I wish to spend, whether it be a McIntosh MC8207, or an entry level Onkyo. Since I bought my Edge I've updated by receiver twice and each time there has been such a feeling of freedom because I can simply base by decision on the sonic abilities of the receiver.

Thanks. I don't care much for the audio. Probably one of the very few ....... eek.gif Sorry. But I care a lot about video PQ. We watch a lot of SD channells out of our DISH (international). With the two new tvs, the PQ has improved but I am looking still for one that would do 1080P on the SD (Dish reciever does only 1080i). I do have a DVDO hooked up to a 3 year old SHarp LED TV

Instead of going again with DVDO, can anyone recommend something? Even if I get Onkyo 809, i would only hook up HDMI and still the Audio will be thru TV. Does it make sense? Unique situation or Idiotic?biggrin.gif

Please help. Thanks a lot in advance!
post #6824 of 7060
I just purchased a new Edge Green. Have only investigated with it for one evening. But based on that experience, I have a couple questions. First, let me say that I only purchased this unit for one reason ... and that is to do custom vertical stretches primarily for spherical 65mm stuff (like upcoming "Lawrence") and also 1.85 content. I have a variable stretch Prismasonic ALens in front of my IN-78 and so can use the entire panel to display 2.21 stuff without using my projector's zoom lens. Any other benefits of this processor are fine ... but the custom stretch is the real reason I bought it. Here are my Q's:

1) I've noticed that when switching sources, the Edge displays info on the screen about the source to which I'm switching (big yellow label upper right that will say "HDMI-2"). Is there a way to turn off all screen info displays. I don't want to see that stuff.

2.) Also, when switching (say from BD to HDDVD), the entire screen flashes bright blue, then goes blank, then comes up lime green, then displays the new source properly. The switch happens impressively fast considering HDCP ... but these extraneous flashes of color aren't very cinema-like. Any way around that?

3.) I've not been able to get either my Panasonic BD-30 or my Tosh X-A2 to output 1080p/24. I can get the Edge to output 1080p/24 ... but only when the disc sources are sending 60 hrz content. If I enable 1:1 data in the Edge and specify 24 hrz output on my players as well as on the Edge, the screen goes blank and the Edge is unresponsive. But when I send 60 hrz content to the Edge and then set the Edge to output 24 hrz, my projector does indicate it's getting a 24 hrz signal. In that case, is the Edge "rebuilding" the 24 frames-per-second stream from the info it receives in 60 hrz format? It does look smoother when in this mode.

4.) If you setup a custom vertical stretch (say, for 2.21 stuff), is the Edge supposed to remember that zoom even if you switch to another source and then switch back? Mine doesn't seem to do that consistently.

This unit is very nice in a lot of ways ... but, so far, I'm not sure I want to keep it given my questions above.

Any help is appreciated.
post #6825 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

3.) I've not been able to get either my Panasonic BD-30 or my Tosh X-A2 to output 1080p/24. I can get the Edge to output 1080p/24 ... but only when the disc sources are sending 60 hrz content. If I enable 1:1 data in the Edge and specify 24 hrz output on my players as well as on the Edge, the screen goes blank and the Edge is unresponsive. But when I send 60 hrz content to the Edge and then set the Edge to output 24 hrz, my projector does indicate it's getting a 24 hrz signal. In that case, is the Edge "rebuilding" the 24 frames-per-second stream from the info it receives in 60 hrz format? It does look smoother when in this mode.
I can't answer the stretching questions, but on the Edge you want to set the output to 1080p/60Hz (not auto or 24Hz) and also set frame rate to 1:1. That way it will always output a 60Hz signal except if fed a 24Hz signal then it will automagically switch to 24Hz. It's kind of a un-obvious setup but works well in the "real world" when switching between broadcast and film frame rates. (Page 75 in the manual)
Edited by bluechunks - 7/20/12 at 12:57pm
post #6826 of 7060
2) That seems to be specific set up dependent because mine (using the old Edge) doesn't show the same colour flashes.

3) I had a Panasonic BD30 and 1080p24 output to the Edge 24p to plasma worked. Auto on the Edge with 1:1 and frame lock work for my set up.

4) It should remember at least for the same input resolution. I don't use it much so can't vouch for its robustness. Did you actually check it's the same input resolution, or go back into the menu and see if the zoom setting is still there?
post #6827 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

4) It should remember at least for the same input resolution. I don't use it much so can't vouch for its robustness. Did you actually check it's the same input resolution, or go back into the menu and see if the zoom setting is still there?
I think that is the key. I suspect that if the resolution (or frame rate) changes for the source it will lose the zoom setting.

The color flashes are caused by the projector trying to sync with the source. Perhaps different projectors will flash different colors. The flashing problem can only be solved by the projector not displaying anything during the hand shaking sequence, I believe.

This is a really good VP for the money. You might want to check to see if the Lumagen products have the zoom memory features you want...but even their Mini costs twice as much as the Edge.
post #6828 of 7060
Thanks to all for the help. I'll have some more time with this new device next week and will try to get the 24hrz problem solved first. I'll set the two disc players to output 1080p/24, then setup the Edge to output 1080p/60 and will lock the output frame rate to 1:1. That doesn't sound right to me ... but that is what you've said. I hope it works.

The other issues (flashing, extraneous messages) could all be handled by blanking the screen for a moment ... but I was hoping to avoid that technique.

In terms of each source remembering its zoom, I'll experiment more with that also when I spend time with it next week.

Again, thanks. Will post what I find.
Edited by hconwell - 7/21/12 at 12:56pm
post #6829 of 7060
I am interested in purchasing the DVDO Edge green for one reason and that is because my new TV apparently doesn't have great video processing. It is a new Panasonic ST50 which is 1080p. It causes a lot of posterization when receiving 720p content. Its quite noticeable on 720p PS3 games. Unfortunately, PS3 doesn't have an internal scaler as you guys know so this is a problem. It is also apparent in 1080i/p, but not as bad as 720p.

Will the DVDO Edge have better upscaling/ video processing quality than my TV? I absolutely love this TV outside of the glaring posterization problems which are greatly enhanced with 720p content. I mainly want to use this device to upscale/video process my PS3/360/Cable.

I also have a question about game mode. This will add 6ms of input lag, correct? Does the input lag that is given from this video processor add onto the current input lag of my TV? For example: my TV has an input lag of around 32ms. I would then get 38ms of input lag total with the video processor, correct? Or would I get 6ms total lag? That seems doubtful, but would be quite amazing! tongue.gif

I am interested in purchasing it if it will fix these issues. Hope to hear back from you guys soon! smile.gif
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/9/12 at 3:51pm
post #6830 of 7060
That is a pretty nice TV to not have good video processing so I would look to rule out everything else first - cables, connections, signal strength, interference, settings, etc.
post #6831 of 7060
The processing lag of the Edge will be *ADDED* to the lag of your TV - of course.

I have no experience with the new Panasonic sets, so I can't comment on your posterization issues. The Edge's scaling is NOT very good for video games and computer signals. It's very very sharp and adds a certain amount of ringing, but if you like it sharp, maybe you will like it. The Edge also disables the edge and detail enhancement controls in gamemode.

But anyway - whatever your issues are with the Panasonic's scaling, they will be gone with a Edge. Whatever issues you already have when feeding 1080p, they will remain the same.
post #6832 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

That is a pretty nice TV to not have good video processing so I would look to rule out everything else first - cables, connections, signal strength, interference, settings, etc.

Yeah, I tried just about everything. I changed settings, cables, inputs, and just about everything I could think of. That's why I was hoping the DVDO Edge could possibly do a better job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

The processing lag of the Edge will be *ADDED* to the lag of your TV - of course.
I have no experience with the new Panasonic sets, so I can't comment on your posterization issues. The Edge's scaling is NOT very good for video games and computer signals. It's very very sharp and adds a certain amount of ringing, but if you like it sharp, maybe you will like it. The Edge also disables the edge and detail enhancement controls in gamemode.
But anyway - whatever your issues are with the Panasonic's scaling, they will be gone with a Edge. Whatever issues you already have when feeding 1080p, they will remain the same.

So will the game mode disable the extra sharp look that you mentioned or just edge/detail enhancement.

Thank you both for your input!
post #6833 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

That is a pretty nice TV to not have good video processing so I would look to rule out everything else first - cables, connections, signal strength, interference, settings, etc.
Quote:
Posterization of an image entails conversion of a continuous gradation of tone to several regions of fewer tones, with abrupt changes
I have to agree. Modern TVs do a pretty good job of scaling and should rarely introduce posterization from a properly formed 720p signal. I would think that any TV that actually inroduced the excessive posterization that you're seeing would be loudly criticized throughout the land.

The fact that you see posterization in 720p and " It is also apparent in 1080i/p, but not as bad as 720p." seems to me to indicate that there is more than just a scaling problem. I believe Fox and ABC broadcast their HD shows in 720p, and everybody else in 1080i. What you're saying seems to imply you're seeing it on every TV show you watch. Is that the case? Or do you only see it it in PS3 games or while streaming videos? If that is the case, then the problem is most likely that the bit rate of the game (or stream) is not high enough. Most (all?) of the posterization I see is when my videos are bit starved - that is to say the problem is in the source.

That said, I used to use my Edge with my PS3 and liked what it did. I also use it with my Roku and it seems to help NetFlix and other streaming services look sharper. So the Edge may provide you with better scaling and may provide a better picture, but I'm not sure it will eliminate the posterization you're seeing.
post #6834 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I have to agree. Modern TVs do a pretty good job of scaling and should rarely introduce posterization from a properly formed 720p signal. I would think that any TV that actually inroduced the excessive posterization that you're seeing would be loudly criticized throughout the land.
The fact that you see posterization in 720p and " It is also apparent in 1080i/p, but not as bad as 720p." seems to me to indicate that there is more than just a scaling problem. I believe Fox and ABC broadcast their HD shows in 720p, and everybody else in 1080i. What you're saying seems to imply you're seeing it on every TV show you watch. Is that the case? Or do you only see it it in PS3 games or while streaming videos? If that is the case, then the problem is most likely that the bit rate of the game (or stream) is not high enough. Most (all?) of the posterization I see is when my videos are bit starved - that is to say the problem is in the source.
That said, I used to use my Edge with my PS3 and liked what it did. I also use it with my Roku and it seems to help NetFlix and other streaming services look sharper. So the Edge may provide you with better scaling and may provide a better picture, but I'm not sure it will eliminate the posterization you're seeing.

I can almost live with the effect on my cable box because I can force it to 1080i and it looks fine. I think just about every channel I have watched looks noticeable worse (in terms of posterization) on 720p.

I can't force PS3 to 1080i/p which makes it a problem. The posterization is pretty bad in 720p. I can definitely notice the difference. I cannot notice it(from what I have played) when the game is 1080p native (very select few). Batman Arkham City can be forced to 1080p (one of the few) and I noticed the posterization was gone in 1080p, but seen in 720p.
post #6835 of 7060
Guys, not much point carrying on, have a look over at the Panasonic plasma thread...in a nutshell, no one else sees any issue and he is getting a replacement.
post #6836 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Guys, not much point carrying on, have a look over at the Panasonic plasma thread...in a nutshell, no one else sees any issue and he is getting a replacement.

I am not keeping the replacement if it has the same issue. Many other users reported the same issue I am having. I am not the only one. I don't want to start a fight here and argue about the TV. I simply want to understand if the DVDO EDGE Green will help my situation.
post #6837 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post

I can almost live with the effect on my cable box because I can force it to 1080i and it looks fine. I think just about every channel I have watched looks noticeable worse (in terms of posterization) on 720p.

This part does not make any sense because it does an unnecessary de-interlacing.

720p -> 1080p -> 1080i -> TV -> 1080p

instead of

720p -> TV -> 1080p
post #6838 of 7060
Getting nuts trying to resolve so please try to help me!

Got an Edge, a DVD player, a blu ray player (Oppo BDP-95) and a 55" Sammy TV.

What I see is a series of hiccups when the image/camera moves horizontally.
5 or 6 for 24p, 50 or 60 Hz Edge setting more severe but often less.
No difference whether I play a standard DVD on the DVD player or the Oppo.

Blu ray discs are unaffected.
So is the HD/SD output from the set top box (sat.).

I live in a 50 Hz country, but I tried every setting I could think of: 50 Hz / 60 Hz output on the players, and on the Edge.

I am not sure what I am seeing here, maybe somehow it's frequency related (I think...) but what can I try?
post #6839 of 7060
For PAL DVDs, player and vp should pass 50i or 50p, TV should display at 50Hz or a multiple of 25Hz. So check the TV's output frame-rate first. Turn off frame interpolation. Check carefully for each device.

For NTSC DVDs, likewise player and vp pass 60i or 60p, TV displays at 60Hz or 120Hz.

Panning judder is present in some DVDs even some Blu-rays at 24p and can't be smoothed out completely but at least ensure no frame-rate conversion occurs.
post #6840 of 7060
Would a dvdo edge help eliminate "vertical banding" that I have on my HDTV.....it is slight, but it is noticeable. I love the set otherwise. It is a Sony hx929 65 inch. Thanks for any help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!