or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO EDGE !! - Page 229

post #6841 of 7061
I am considering purchasing the Edge Green to clean up regular film DVD's.

I want to connect my portable blu ray/dvd player/recorder to the edge then the edge to another burner and burn the dvd at 1080p signal from the edge after being processed.

I was told by the company that makes Edge that it will work

Will it?

Thanks.
post #6842 of 7061
The Edge output is via HDMI. Does your other burner have an HDMI imput? I've never heard of such a thing.
However, I'm not quite sure why you want to do the burn step. What most of us do is just play the original DVD and let the Edge de-interlace and scale it.
post #6843 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

For PAL DVDs, player and vp should pass 50i or 50p, TV should display at 50Hz or a multiple of 25Hz. So check the TV's output frame-rate first. Turn off frame interpolation. Check carefully for each device.
For NTSC DVDs, likewise player and vp pass 60i or 60p, TV displays at 60Hz or 120Hz.
Panning judder is present in some DVDs even some Blu-rays at 24p and can't be smoothed out completely but at least ensure no frame-rate conversion occurs.


Thanks-
Set the Edge output to 1080p50 and that removed the hiccups, but it also removed 24p for blu rays.
Finally found some entries in the Edge settings: tracks input and tracks input 1:1.
That did the trick: I now have scaleroutput of 24p (for blu rays) and 50p (for dvd's).
post #6844 of 7061
I have one quick question about the DVDO Edge.

Do you still control the picture settings within the TV ALONG with the settings from the DVDO Edge? Or are picture controls exclusively set using the DVDO Edge?

Thanks guys!
Edited by Frankie1588 - 8/15/12 at 10:12am
post #6845 of 7061
The Edge output is via HDMI. Does your other burner have an HDMI imput? I've never heard of such a thing.
However, I'm not quite sure why you want to do the burn step. What most of us do is just play the original DVD and let the Edge de-interlace and scale it.


Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if I explained this right.

Let me try again.

I ave a DVD of an old 1980's TV movie. I want to burn a new copy that will look much better.

I want to know if the Edge Green will be able to process the reg DVD to as close to HD as possible on the output into ym DVD/blu ray burner.

The people at Edge said yes. I want to see if that is true and exactly how to do it.


Thanks.
post #6846 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTechGuy View Post

I want to know if the Edge Green will be able to process the reg DVD to as close to HD as possible on the output into ym DVD/blu ray burner.
The people at Edge said yes. I want to see if that is true and exactly how to do it.
Thanks.
I guess I was not clear enough. The people at Edge are technically correct, but it all depends on the input you've got on your DVD recorder. The Edge output is via HDMI. Unless your DVD/Blu ray burner has an HDMI input you cannot do what you want. The whole idea behind HDMI is to stop people from copying DVDs and Blu-Rays.

If you really want to do this, look into getting a Hauppauge HD PVR, a good up-scaling Blu-Ray (or an Edge), and something to convert (such as the ViewHD) the HDMI output to VGA/component. The Hauppauge HD PVR only takes analog input and re-encodes it. This re-encoding step makes things look a very little bit softer than the original.

The truth be known, after going through all that ... your video still isn't going to be vastly improved. If it looks like junk on your original DVD, it will still look like junk after this. What the Edge and other scalers do is make good looking DVDs look fantastic. I've been told that the scalers on most new TVs also do this, so you might not even notice any improvement.
post #6847 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I guess I was not clear enough. The people at Edge are technically correct, but it all depends on the input you've got on your DVD recorder. The Edge output is via HDMI. Unless your DVD/Blu ray burner has an HDMI input you cannot do what you want. The whole idea behind HDMI is to stop people from copying DVDs and Blu-Rays.
If you really want to do this, look into getting a Hauppauge HD PVR, a good up-scaling Blu-Ray (or an Edge), and something to convert (such as the ViewHD) the HDMI output to VGA/component. The Hauppauge HD PVR only takes analog input and re-encodes it. This re-encoding step makes things look a very little bit softer than the original.
The truth be known, after going through all that ... your video still isn't going to be vastly improved. If it looks like junk on your original DVD, it will still look like junk after this. What the Edge and other scalers do is make good looking DVDs look fantastic. I've been told that the scalers on most new TVs also do this, so you might not even notice any improvement.

Thanks for the reply smile.gif, I appreciate it.

Not sure if I would ever purchase anything from Hauppauge though. I have their horrible 1250 TV Tuner card that, well, does not get any of my cable stations.

I have contacted them multiple times for support and they've never addressed the issue. Serious lack of any support from them.

Getting back to what you suggested. If I use an HDMI converter to VGA/component will that seriously degrade the up-converting created by the DVDO Edge Green?

The portable DVD/Blu ray burner player I have only has a USB2.0 to go into my PC. Now inside my PC I have 2 blu ray/DVD burner's players, so could I connect the Edge to the PC through the PC's HDMI and then copy the better quality in one of those burners?

Thanks again.
post #6848 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTechGuy View Post

The portable DVD/Blu ray burner player I have only has a USB2.0 to go into my PC. Now inside my PC I have 2 blu ray/DVD burner's players, so could I connect the Edge to the PC through the PC's HDMI and then copy the better quality in one of those burners?
Yikes! That really sounds like doing it the very hard way, and fraught with the almost certain potential that you will end up with worse picture quality, if all the players/burners are in a PC and you are outputting from the PC to the Edge and back into the PC again.

I don't have a PC these days, but what you are describing would be very easy to do in software on a Mac and I only mention this because there's gotta be a easy way to do this on a PC.

Step 1: Convert the DVD to a HD codec format (i.e. H.264) using software that properly (and fully) de-interlaces the DVD's 480i encoding and scales the picture to 1080p

Step 2: Burn the file to a Blu Ray disc using software that formats the data for Blu Ray but does not transcode/re-encode the video a second time
post #6849 of 7061
Most people would get a media player like the Popcorn Hour and forget about all of that crap. tongue.gif
post #6850 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Most people would get a media player like the Popcorn Hour and forget about all of that crap. tongue.gif
Yup. Once the DVD is on the hard drive you have all sorts of options to play the file and never bother with a disc.

At this point I think this discussion has veered wildly from the Edge (my apologies) and I'd suggest looking at the HTPC forum for options for doing everything on the PC.
post #6851 of 7061
Thanks for all of the input (and wise remarks wink.gif, lol).

All I want to to do is take a DVD I purchased (legally), and make it better and burn the improved copy on either another DVD or Blu Ray that I can play on most Blu Ray or DVD players, either a regular home one or PC..

It is an old 1980's DVD and I want to make the quality of the disc I will burn (from my PAID for original wink.gif ) as best I can make it.

All LEGALLY and not for re sale of course....Seriously.

Thanks once more.
Edited by GadgetTechGuy - 8/16/12 at 2:55pm
post #6852 of 7061
Legally purchased or not, copying a commercial DVD has been illegal since the 321 Studios case in 2004. Google it.
post #6853 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Legally purchased or not, copying a commercial DVD has been illegal since the 321 Studios case in 2004. Google it.

I did Google it.

Many court cases have stated it is totally legal to make yourself a personal copy of items you legally purchased for your own personal use. Some site the "fair use". The subject varies and it is not the focus on my thread.

Now back to my question....
Edited by GadgetTechGuy - 8/16/12 at 3:22pm
post #6854 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTechGuy View Post

Now back to my question....
Yes, the Edge will technically do it---it will process any standard video signal input and then de-interlace/scale to 1080p. But that's not the issue here, IMHO. The Edge is designed for real-time playback and will do that all day long. (i.e. Designed for a home theater setup: DVD Player==>Edge===>TV)

The very weak link here is your computer as it sounds like you will need to output video (not data) from the computer and shoot it through the Edge and then back into your computer using whatever capture card you have installed...all in real time. You can't just plug the external drive directly into the Edge using USB; the Edge must be fed a video signal, and the higher the quality the better (best would be digital "native" 480i via HDMI). And, unless you have some professional class HD encoder/capture card it is almost certain the real-time encoding will look worse than the DVD that you started with.
post #6855 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTechGuy View Post

I did Google it.
Many court cases have stated it is totally legal to make yourself a personal copy of items you legally purchased for your own personal use. Some site the "fair use". The subject varies and it is not the focus on my thread.
Now back to my question....

Force the Edge to output 1080p. It will deinterlace, and scale to your needs. It will do it quickly, without any noticable lag time too.
Question: Do all Edge's ever made have the ABT 2010 chip?
post #6856 of 7061
Just a quick note about customer service

My DVDO Edge would not power up after my warranty expired. I contacted them and they still allowed me to return the unit to them for repair at NO CHARGE. They didn't even charge me for return shipping.

I received the unit back about two weeks later and it is good as new.

Very refreshing to see a company back their product to this degree!
post #6857 of 7061
Guys, would love your advice.

I have the Epson 5010 projector and the Denon 4311 which already has the Anchor Bay processor I believe. I've never actually changed the settings on the denon for video as there isn't much to tweak.

I can get a used DVDO Edge for $250 or so. Is it worth it? How do I connect it? I have verizon Fios and Boxee box with most MKV's at 1080p. BluRay player as well.

I wanted to eventually get calibration equipment and do my own true calibration and I think the DVDO Edge has the ability with the Calman right? to do auto calibration?

Thanks in advance!
post #6858 of 7061
Waste of money if you already have a good processor in another device.

1080p does not need any processing to begin with.
post #6859 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Guys, would love your advice.

I have the Epson 5010 projector and the Denon 4311 which already has the Anchor Bay processor I believe. I've never actually changed the settings on the denon for video as there isn't much to tweak.

I can get a used DVDO Edge for $250 or so. Is it worth it? How do I connect it? I have verizon Fios and Boxee box with most MKV's at 1080p. BluRay player as well.

I wanted to eventually get calibration equipment and do my own true calibration and I think the DVDO Edge has the ability with the Calman right? to do auto calibration?

Thanks in advance!


The Edge does not allow any version of Calman to do auto-calibration unfortunately.

post #6860 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post


The Edge does not allow any version of Calman to do auto-calibration unfortunately.

Or any other calibration program since the Edge lacks the ability to do calibration.
post #6861 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Or any other calibration program since the Edge lacks the ability to do calibration.

How about a great free one?
post #6862 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

How about a great free one?
Yeah, but any CMS corrections are made in the display not the Edge. wink.gif
post #6863 of 7061
We are upgrading some of the smart classrooms at the college where I work. We desperately need to upgrade our projectors into a digital format as the computers (new mac Minis) are beginning to have connectivity issues over VGA (long story....).

By going to HDMI we will have to add some sort of switching for new digital sources. I had hoped to find a device that would give us enough inputs that would get us another 5+ years of changes. There are plenty of HDMI switches out there but the DVDO Edge Green seems to be nice for other devices as well (VCR, DVD, aux, document cameras, etc...).

This device looks good for all of our video switching needs, though I wish it had more inputs for audio only sources (turntable, cassette, aux, mini disc and even DAT. Yes, it's a music school.). And it would have been nice to have an analog audio out as well so we wouldn't have to upgrade our rack mount amp. We will have to have a keep a separate switch for all audio until we make other changes.

So, while not a perfect device for our needs it does come very close. I do have some questions.

It has two HDMI outs (with and without audio do not matter at this time), can it output both at the same time? One to a projector and the other to an HDMI 1080p monitor. A must for the computer and a plus for the other sources

It looks like the remote is the only way to switch between inputs. Do you think it will be easy to use in a classroom?

Easy to rack mount?

The price point on the Edge is nice compared to all the industrial devices($1500-$10,000) out there. Are there any other devices like this close in price? PHD-8VX is nice because it has the analog audio out and even has a VGA in but I don't think there are enough HDMI ports for us long term.

Thanks,
Jorin
post #6864 of 7061
The two outputs, and a lot of other stuff, is explained in post #1.
post #6865 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordboy View Post

It has two HDMI outs (with and without audio do not matter at this time), can it output both at the same time? One to a projector and the other to an HDMI 1080p monitor. A must for the computer and a plus for the other sources

the hdmi outputs are with and without video, not audio. both have audio. one has both video and audio, the other just audio. if you need to drive two displays, you would need to run the output that has video and audio into an hdmi splitter.
post #6866 of 7061
So I am starting to wonder if I need my Edge anymore. I recently upgraded my AVR to a Marantz SR6006 which has Anchor Bay's ABT2015 10-bit processor. I have also moved from a Samsung DLP to a 2012 Panasonic Plasma along with a Darbee unit. I'm thinking of keeping the Edge with the DLP as it moves to another area of the house and let the AVR handle the Edge's duties. Thoughts? Also is anyone using their Edge with the Darbee? Thanks for looking.
post #6867 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Thoughts?
I was in the same boat six months ago with my Edge when I upgraded the AVR to a Yamaha RX-A2010 (HQV Vida 1900 video processor) connected to a 2010 Panasonic Plasma (VT25). After comparing the Edge to the Yamaha using the usual DVD and Blu Ray test discs I was happy with both but the Edge was also now redundant so I removed it from the stack. If the Edge offered something additional such as CMS (like the Duo) I would have made a different choice. I would think you are in a similar situation since the Marantz also uses an ABT processor. My $0.02.
post #6868 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

I was in the same boat six months ago with my Edge when I upgraded the AVR to a Yamaha RX-A2010 (HQV Vida 1900 video processor) connected to a 2010 Panasonic Plasma (VT25). After comparing the Edge to the Yamaha using the usual DVD and Blu Ray test discs I was happy with both but the Edge was also now redundant so I removed it from the stack. If the Edge offered something additional such as CMS (like the Duo) I would have made a different choice. I would think you are in a similar situation since the Marantz also uses an ABT processor. My $0.02.

Thanks for the feedback and I have a feeling that I would have reached the same choice you made. Looks like the Edge is going to follow the DLP to the basement setup.
post #6869 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Also is anyone using their Edge with the Darbee?
I'd like to know this also.
post #6870 of 7061
Yes, I am..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!