or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO EDGE !! - Page 233

post #6961 of 7060
Hey guys,

I had awful vertical judgger recently watching a movie that I recorded on my DirecTV DVR. The movie was Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows (good flick) and the PQ was excellent off the 1080i source ... except during wide sweeping pans (which this film has a lot of). I would get that jerkiness in the material that I believe is judder.

I have my Edge setup in this way:

Source X --> Edge --> video direct to Panasonic ST50 and audio direct to Denon AVR-2807 --> which then feeds a Rotel RMB-1075.

When the Source is my DirecTV DVR (HR21) and I am watching a movie I get this nasty judder. Blu Ray (from PS3) and HD-DVD (from XA2) does not seem to have this issue.

On the TV I have motion smoothing off (as well as all noise reduction). For my DirecTV source -- I do have contrast boosted, as well as some edge and detail enhancement and noise reduction enabled.

I wanted to see if the Edge could help reduce or eliminate this unsightly judder. I read on post 1 of this thread about this feature:
Quote:
Progressive Cadence Detection™

Film-based content, which originated at 24 frames per second, is broadcast at 50 or 60Hz. Anchor Bay's Progressive Cadence Detection can lock on to the original 3:2 cadence in the broadcast, reacquiring the original 24 frames per second. This signal can then be output at a source-locked 24Hz eliminating the judder that existed in the original broadcast signal. Progressive Cadence Detection can be used with 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p input signals.

It appears that to use this feature I need to disable 1080i output on the DirecTV box, and instead output 720p -- and let the Edge do its work. Is this correct? Would this help with the Judder? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
post #6962 of 7060
Some boxes allow you to output the "native" signal from the box (be it 720p or 1080i depending on the source). Does your box have such a setting? Since your TV displays a progressive signal then the 720p to 1080p processing the Edge does is just scaling, unless you have PReP enabled. For 1080i signals the Edge performed a de-interlacing function to 1080p. The issue may be that you are watching a 720p signal that the DirectTV box is de-interlacing to 1080i internally and then outputting that signal to the Edge. This is why I prefer native output whenever possible.
post #6963 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Some boxes allow you to output the "native" signal from the box (be it 720p or 1080i depending on the source). Does your box have such a setting? Since your TV displays a progressive signal then the 720p to 1080p processing the Edge does is just scaling, unless you have PReP enabled. For 1080i signals the Edge performed a de-interlacing function to 1080p. The issue may be that you are watching a 720p signal that the DirectTV box is de-interlacing to 1080i internally and then outputting that signal to the Edge. This is why I prefer native output whenever possible.

I believe I have my DirecTV box in native mode. However, the movie was downloaded (it was Cinemax on demand) in 1080i I believe. Because it was in 1080i though -- if I am reading the prior post correctly -- Progressive Cadence Detection would not be functioning. Would Progressive Cadence Detection help to solve the judder issue?

Edit: So I left the DirecTV DVR in Native -- but de-selected 1080i as an available resolution. So now it has 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080p as available resolutions. Since other than on-demand DirecTV Cinema, there is no HD content on DirecTV in 1080p, almost all content will be output from the box in 720p@60hz (with the Edge upscaling it to 1080p 60hz internally). I will let you know if I notice an improvement on judder.
Edited by Skrill - 3/5/13 at 6:00pm
post #6964 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Some boxes allow you to output the "native" signal from the box (be it 720p or 1080i depending on the source). Does your box have such a setting? Since your TV displays a progressive signal then the 720p to 1080p processing the Edge does is just scaling, unless you have PReP enabled. For 1080i signals the Edge performed a de-interlacing function to 1080p. The issue may be that you are watching a 720p signal that the DirectTV box is de-interlacing to 1080i internally and then outputting that signal to the Edge. This is why I prefer native output whenever possible.

Yeah, if it's fixed output, you basically end up with half your channels in the output format, and half at 720i, which is half HD. It worked great when TVs were either 720P or 1080i, but it doesn't work in a 1080p world.
post #6965 of 7060
Hello> I couldn't find an "Edge Green" forum, so I'm asking my question on this one. I'm wanting to get an "Edge Green" to use with my LD player so I can "scale" and have some control over color, contrast and brightness for the player only. I have a Pioneer KRP 600M plasma and plan on using the DVI input (with HDMI adapter) just for laserdiscs. Will this get the job done and where might I get the best price on the Edge Green? I recall that sometime last year (?) the factory was selling them for $299.00. Thanks!
post #6966 of 7060
The 600M already has the three controls (input specific) you want (unless they don't go far enough) and more NR options than the Edge. It would help a bit with scaling and avoid overscan on the 600M. If you're getting it you'd want to use it for all sources and no particular need to use the DVI input.

What LD player do you have?
post #6967 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

The 600M already has the three controls (input specific) you want (unless they don't go far enough) and more NR options than the Edge. It would help a bit with scaling and avoid overscan on the 600M. If you're getting it you'd want to use it for all sources and no particular need to use the DVI input.

What LD player do you have?
I am wanting to use the DVI input, just for LD playback. The two HDMI ports are being used for Dish network (using Pure) and the other is on the output of my new Marantz receiver (SR 7007), mostly for Blu and DVD playback, using ISF Night. I discovered that I can use the second HDMI out on the Marantz to feed the DVI input on my KRP (with an adapter, of course) so I can benefit from the Marantz's internal scaler. I am using the Pure mode on this input as well, but I think the pic modes, sure as Pure are "global", wherein if a change is made in that mode on one input it will affect that same mode on another input. Is this correct? And, if it is, I was thinking that I could use the "Move" mode for LD, so I could make adjustments. I have an LD version on Video Essentials, but some of it wouldn't apply, such as setting the contrast control with that bending line on the screen and besides that, there wouldn't be any way to make detailed adjustments for color, etc. using the disc. My LD player is a Pioneer DVL 700. It has a couple of picture controls for LD playback and I'm using the "Cinema 2" setting which, according to the manual, has enhanced black levels and colors (a little too much so). But using the Standard playback mode, the blacks look gray and the colors are sort of washed out. Also, many laserdiscs themselves, unless they are THX processed, are usually all over the place in terms of picture quality...some good and some bad.
So, maybe the Edge Green wouldn't help me that much.
post #6968 of 7060
It's been a long time since I changed anything on my Kuro but IIRC the modes and controls are input specific, certainly the ISF modes are. It's easy to find out yourself. If you have not unlocked the ISF modes it's well worth doing. The DVI input isn't particularly special or different from HDMI for the video. I try to find out what vp chip the Marantz uses but a quick search doesn't reveal any names. If you're happy with it for DVDs then try it with LDs.
post #6969 of 7060
Hello. I'm interested in getting an Apple TV for iTunes and Netflix content, but I really want 24p output and the Apple TV only does 1080p60. It looks like the DVDO EDGE's PReP feature does what I want, so I was wondering if anyone has tried an Apple TV/DVDO EDGE/24p display combination, and could confirm whether and how well it works?
post #6970 of 7060
Doesn't work, sorry. Unfortunately the AppleTV screws up the 3:2 cadence of the source material while it does output 720p60 or 1080p60.

This means that the Edge can't reconstruct the original cadence and therefore can't convert the input to 1080p24.

Definitely Apple's fault by the way. If you try the same from a media player or BD player with 60Hz output, the Edge will do a flawless conversion to 24p.
post #6971 of 7060
Ah, that's a shame, but thanks so much for your reply. That would have been a pricey failed experiment! iTunes works well at 24p from my Mac, so I guess I'll keep using that for now and get some other device that can do 24p Netflix. Thanks again!
post #6972 of 7060
Can anyone explain to me exactly the difference between "input" and "output" settings in the Advanced settings menu?

For example, input/output deep color setting. Should I set input AND output to 36-bit for the PS3 or just one of them? I just do not fully understand the difference between input versus output.

I tried searching but had no luck finding an understandable difference.

Thanks guys!
post #6973 of 7060
Anyone have any recent EDGE repair experience? Mine just started "blanking" the HDMI output until I power off and power back back on. Used to happen once in a while now it happens every 5 min so I pulled the EDGE out of my rack and am using my receiver to switch HDMI and using my display's native controls and scaling. Not sure if the EDGE can be repaired inexpensively enough or if I have to just toss it. Advice welcome!
post #6974 of 7060
Hello. I currently have all of my video components running through my Denon AVR-3311CI receiver.
I was wondering is the video processor in the DVDO Edge Green would product better results then my 3311.

Does anyone own both of these that could give me some feedback as to whether the DVDO Edge Green is worth the money?

My TV is a 80" Sharp 844U.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
post #6975 of 7060
I am fairly new to video processors in fact last month I bought a mint condition VP-30 for my 11 year Pioneer Elite RPTV to combat overscan and was amazed at how great the PQ is now. Made my old TV look like the newer LED displays. I have now bought on Amazon a DVDO Edge Green for my bedroom HT which has a five year old Samsung 1024x768 plasma display. Now from spot reading this thread I know the Edge won't do 768p so I'll have to go with 720p. My question is my Directv box has the option to output 1080p. Should I use this output and will it work going from 1080p - 720p - TV - 768p. That seems like a lot of scaling being done. Should I just go native 480p,720p and 1080i from my directv box and have the Edge scale the native signal to 720p before the TV rescales back up to 768p.

Another question I have is my bedroom system is using a Denon 3808ci which has a decent video processor but will I notice a bigger difference in PQ using the Edge?

I'm hoping to get a dramatic difference like I did by adding the VP-30 to my RPTV.
post #6976 of 7060
Not much happening in here but I hope to get an easy question answered: Can the DVDO Edge function as a switch-only on an input, i.e. I have a BD player with discrete analog outputs to my amp/receiver, and I'd like to leave these connections in place but still use the DVD Edge (Green) to output to the single HDMI input on my Projector.

If I run the BD video thru the Edge, but the MultiChannel audio direct to the amp, will I experience lip sync problems? Or can the Edge somehow bypass it's processing and feed the video direct to HDMI out (my PJ)?
post #6977 of 7060
Just wanted to jump in and say I had a problem with my Edge and contacted them for support. Specifically Ken Nguyen who really helped out. It turned out the unit could not be repaired but they were able to send a replacement unit. I am really happy with the support of the company and wanted to share that here - I've owned a VP30, VP50, Duo and Edge and have been very happy with all of them. Back in the day my VP50 with SDI input from a Panasonic RP82 (or something like that) was pretty spectacular, for DVD... wink.gif

Cheers, Dan Stroot
post #6978 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

If I run the BD video thru the Edge, but the MultiChannel audio direct to the amp, will I experience lip sync problems? Or can the Edge somehow bypass it's processing and feed the video direct to HDMI out (my PJ)?
Well I got my Edge Green, the above appears to be no problem. I only tried a couple things e.g. zooming, no other video settings (yet) on the Edge, and there's no lip sync problem that I can see so I'm happy to be able to use this as a switcher.
post #6979 of 7060
When I had issues with mine a couple of years ago I also dealt with Ken and he was really great - had to end up replacing that unit, but the support was top notch from him.
post #6980 of 7060
Hey guys,


So I have an Edge (original) and it was having an issue. It is well out of warranty - but I am working with Ken (who has been real nice) and he has the unit now and has confirmed the issue.

Unfortunately, he can't do a simple swap out because he does not have a replacement Edge (only refurb Edge Green units). So what would AVS do?

1. Wait two weeks and get my Edge repaired (keeping the front HDMI input)?

2. Get a refurb Green unit sent immediately?

Is the Green anymore reliable than the regular Edge? Any reason to pick the Green over the Edge (original) other than getting it back two weeks quicker?

Thanks!

Skrill
Edited by Skrill - 6/25/13 at 11:56am
post #6981 of 7060
Couple points for me personally:

  • I never used the front HDMI input.
  • I did not use all the rear HDMI inputs.


So if I had to swap for the edge I suppose I could just stick in an extra HDMI cable in the back and tuck it away in case I ever needed to use it - I'd probably use a HDMI to mini or micro for my camera.

Maybe that helps?
post #6982 of 7060
Something else to consider - I don't believe the EDGE Green properly deals with 240p at the moment (8 and 16 bit video games).
post #6983 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

Hey guys,


So I have an Edge (original) and it was having an issue. It is well out of warranty - but I am working with Ken (who has been real nice) and he has the unit now and has confirmed the issue.

Unfortunately, he can't do a simple swap out because he does not have a replacement Edge (only refurb Edge Green units). So what would AVS do?

1. Wait two weeks and get my Edge repaired (keeping the front HDMI input)?

2. Get a refurb Green unit sent immediately?

Is the Green anymore reliable than the regular Edge? Any reason to pick the Green over the Edge (original) other than getting it back two weeks quicker?

Thanks!

Skrill

 

Well, if you get a Green sent during the repair period and it doesn't work out, you're no worse off than option 1.  Option 1, your only choice is to go without.  So unless there's extra money involved, you might as well go with a Green loaner in the interim, right?  I agree with HDgaming42 in that the Green currently does not support 240p properly.  If that is not an issue for you, then it really doesn't matter.

 

..dane

post #6984 of 7060
I ended up contacting Ken again about an issue with my out of warranty unit.

He had me send it in and today I was surprised with a unit in the mail. I'm not sure if it is my old unit that was repaired or a replacement, but the thing works! If only all companies could treat their customers like this. I would have been find paying for repairs, but nothing was ever mentioned so it only cost the price of shipping.

I have to say it was very painful dealing without having an Edge
post #6985 of 7060
I just want to give props to Ken and DVDO -- they sent me a refurbed (looks new to me) Edge Green in place of my older broken Edge (original) -- and it works great. Thanks Ken!

Great service and support even though my unit was well out of warranty.
post #6986 of 7060
I'm a little confused... Is this forum for the Edge, Edge Green or both?

I am interested in the Edge Green and have a few questions,

(1) I see it has 1.3 HDMI outputs. All of the newer Blu ray players, HDTV's and A/V recievers are now 1.4 HDMI. Does this mean that this device will not pass a 3D BD signal correctly? My younger ones love watching 3D movies. Would this device have any negative impact on that?

(2) What is the difference between the Edge and Edge Green for passing 3D signals. I am assuming the Edge Green is the most current model?

(3) We also have a N64, I read that this unit won't pass its 240P signal correctly? Has that been resolved?

(4) I see only one set of L&R Audio composite inputs? How would I hook up my SVHS, SNES, and N64 at the same time to this unit? Can i stack two RCA "Y" composite cables and combine all the L and R into one L&R RCA? Can SVHS, SNES, and N64 be set in the Menu to use the same (one set) L&R RCA composite input jacks?

(5) How does this unit work for Comcast HD cable. Will it clean up the compression artifacts and make a noticeable difference?

(6) Can this product be left on full time for dedicated Cable Box use, without having to use the Green's remote control, just the Comcast remote for simplicity?

(7) Is this product still being supported? On their website..... The latest Edge Green Firmware reads v1.00 Release date: June 30, 2011?? So I guess no 240P signal fix?
Edited by Sound & Vision - 8/12/13 at 6:20am
post #6987 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I'm a little confused... Is this forum for the Edge, Edge Green or both?

I am interested in the Edge Green and have a few questions,

(1) I see it has 1.3 HDMI outputs. All of the newer Blu ray players, HDTV's and A/V recievers are now 1.4 HDMI. Does this mean that this device will not pass a 3D BD signal correctly? My younger ones love watching 3D movies. Would this device have any negative impact on that?

(2) What is the difference between the Edge and Edge Green for passing 3D signals. I am assuming the Edge Green is the most current model?

(3) We also have a N64, I read that this unit won't pass its 240P signal correctly? Has that been resolved?

(4) I see only one set of L&R Audio composite inputs? How would I hook up my SVHS, SNES, and N64 at the same time to this unit? Can i stack two RCA "Y" composite cables and combine all the L and R into one L&R RCA? Can SVHS, SNES, and N64 be set in the Menu to use the same (one set) L&R RCA composite input jacks?

(5) How does this unit work for Comcast HD cable. Will it clean up the compression artifacts and make a noticeable difference?

(6) Can this product be left on full time for dedicated Cable Box use, without having to use the Green's remote control, just the Comcast remote for simplicity?

(7) Is this product still being supported? On their website..... The latest Edge Green Firmware reads v1.00 Release date: June 30, 2011?? So I guess no 240P signal fix?

You'll want to look for an original Edge (non-Green). Although the Green is the "newer" version, it's essentially a very minor update of the chassis.

The original Edge and the Green will switch and pass-through (not process) a 3D signal and the original has the firmware update to support 240p scaling while the Green has not (yet).

These units excel at de-interlacing and scaling video. Do not expect miracles for their ability to clean up compression artifacts.

They can be left on 24/7 (in theory) but they are also in the Logitech Harmony database (for example) so they work well with programmable universal remote controls.

If all you need is support for 240p take a look at this website---it is the creation of AVS member Fudoh who also frequents this thread.
Edited by bluechunks - 8/12/13 at 7:38am
post #6988 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

You'll want to look for an original Edge (non-Green). Although the Green is the "newer" version, it's essentially a very minor update of the chassis.

The original Edge and the Green will switch and pass-through (not process) a 3D signal and the original has the firmware update to support 240p scaling while the Green has not (yet).

These units excel at de-interlacing and scaling video. Do not expect miracles for their ability to clean up compression artifacts.

They can be left on 24/7 (in theory) but they are also in the Logitech Harmony database (for example) so they work well with programmable universal remote controls.

If all you need is support for 240p take a look at this website---it is the creation of AVS member Fudoh who also frequents this thread.

Thank you for the link,

So Edge & Edge Green will both pass 3D BD Movie signals but will not process them. So no picture settings like Mosquito noise, Contrast, Edge, ect, and Aspect ratio Zoom while in 3D pass through. Seems i would be better off not connecting up a 3D BD player? I don't watch DVD's only BD's and the kids love the 3D stuff. smile.gif
Edited by Sound & Vision - 8/12/13 at 9:04am
post #6989 of 7060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

Seems i would be better off not connect up a 3D BD player then? I don't watch DVD's only BD's.
It all depends, but the "take away" is that it works either way.

A very common connection scenario for the Edge is to act as the main switch point for all sources. This simplifies the setup greatly as everything goes into the Edge and the Edge outputs video to the TV and audio to the AVR (via audio-only HDMI or Optical).

It sounds like you don't really need the Edge to de-interlace/scale anything other than your cable TV and game sources. If you have a newer HDTV it probably does all of that just fine anyway, except perhaps 240p, as older HDTVs were more problematic with video processing. For example, my original Sony XBR2 LCD had terrible de-interlacing while my current Panasonic plasma is quite good so the Edge is packed in a box in the basement.
post #6990 of 7060
I've got a Remote Control problem with my Edge. My Edge works fine, except it's having a hard time reading the signal from its remote control. I have to push buttons on the remote repeatedly for about a minute straight unitl it finally registers what I've pushed. I've tried changing the batteries in the remote, and putting in an older firmware level. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, then how did you fix it? I've owned my Edge for over four years so I know it's totally out of warranty. I'm hopeful that someone knows what the problem is!

Thanks in advance for your help.

John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!