or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO EDGE !! - Page 4

post #91 of 7061
I, for one, think the HDMI Audio Only feature of the EDGE is one of the best features!

I am seriously looking at getting a VP50Pro, but since there is only one HDMI output I still haven't quite figured out how to get the higher resolution audio into a receiver without corrupting the video.

To bad the HDMI Audio Only feature can't be added to the VP50Pro.

-EmoryS
post #92 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

Per several requests I have added a PDF that compares EDGE to the VP50PRO and VP50 to the opening post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Comparison PDF is nice. It shows how serious DVDO is about the performance of The Edge. Still though, you can see where it is not for the serious VP crowd. I still would really like to put one in my set up and see just how well it performs with my vast assortment of components...

The PDF is very helpful.

All I can say is, on paper, it's still pretty remarkable how much territory the Edge does indeed cover considering the price points across the product line.

I really do think 2 HDMI outs should be standard and I think that's huge here for the Edge.
post #93 of 7061
I concur. When I saw that dual HDMI output feature last week I was quite impressed. Well thought out for sure.
post #94 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

A 33% vertical stretch can be accomplished by using the Vertical Zoom control on the input.

To clarify on the 2.35:1 question. If I understand correctly, the EDGE will only allow a zoom as compared to a stretch that would be on the VP line. Correct?
post #95 of 7061
Josh,

Can you post the promotional PDF you just sent out to retailers?

Also, can you say a little more about the Black Bar eliminator feature?

Thanks!
post #96 of 7061
Ouch. I see that it is limited to standard resolutions at only 60 Hz output (50 Hz for PAL) in addition to 24 Hz. This is definitely not being marketted for us CRT projector fanboys, or indeed, for anyone with a display that is not natively 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (which is most people since most HD displays are not natively at a standard resolution!). I bought my Lumagen VisionHDP largely based on its programmable output resolution capability. Part of Lumagen's philosphy is to produce products which do not impose arbitrary limitations. If DVDO shared the same mind-set, then this box would have blown away the competition. Too bad.
post #97 of 7061
Take a look at the rest of the DVDO offering-specifically the VP series. I think you will find no arbitrary limitations on these products.

This product is not designed for the high end market like the Lumagen and DVDO VP series
post #98 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy View Post

Ouch. I see that it is limited to standard resolutions at only 60 Hz output (50 Hz for PAL) in addition to 24 Hz. This is definitely not being marketted for us CRT projector fanboys, or indeed, for anyone with a display that is not natively 1920x1080 or 1280x720 (which is most people since most HD displays are not natively at a standard resolution!). I bought my Lumagen VisionHDP largely based on its programmable output resolution capability. Part of Lumagen's philosphy is to produce products which do not impose arbitrary limitations. If DVDO shared the same mind-set, then this box would have blown away the competition. Too bad.

if you want those features get a VP unit, that is the entire point here as Don just said

-Gary
post #99 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

The hardware of the Beta units is exactly the same as production units. The chassis (cosmetics) of Beta units is different from production units in that the plastics on the front of the the production units will have a higher quality finish on them.

Hi Josh !

Will it be possible to switche from the Beta's face to the production unit face ?
post #100 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy View Post

If DVDO shared the same mind-set...

If they shared the same mindset as Lumagen, prices would be going up too!
post #101 of 7061
As far as I understand it, EDGE is not a replacement unit of the VP line, it is a whole new concept.

The VP50Pro is still the flagship of DVDO scalers.

That being said Edge features few extras that seem realy interesting, 6 HDMI inputs, Audio dedicated HDMI out (I love that feature ! A must have for HD audio codec) and more easy to use.

On the other hand the VPs still show more flexibility and more options, price wise I feel that EDGE is a complementary unit in the DVDO range and it will not take the place of the VP50 or the VP50Pro. It strikes at another market, mostly LCD and plasma users, even though I am conviced it could also be a very good addition in a projector based home theater.
post #102 of 7061
Perfectly put. That is exactly how I view The Edge.
post #103 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post

To clarify on the 2.35:1 question. If I understand correctly, the EDGE will only allow a zoom as compared to a stretch that would be on the VP line. Correct?

also to josh@dvdo/anyone:
Would the zoom method result in a lesser pq than the stretch method?
post #104 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Perfectly put. That is exactly how I view The Edge.

Hi Joe !

The only thing is I already have a VP50Pro (which is not yet perfect, but is getting better and better with a very promised future).
I currently use the VP50Pro in a setup where EDGE would be more apropriate.

Well ... things to come anyway ...
post #105 of 7061
Pardon my green-ness but, I'm not very knowledgeable about video processing. This unit has gotten my attention. First: I'm assuming each input can be set individually? This will be a huge plus as my a/v unit uses global settings, a real bummer. Second: Will I have a problem with a Pio 5010FD and 6010FD regarding the resolution limitations talked about in this thread? Thanks.
post #106 of 7061
Yeah, I got the "autoreply" message also... apparently whoever is supposed to be reviewing the potential Beta Testers is currently on vacation.
post #107 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Sorry Josh... its hard to explain.

I have a 2.35 screen and zoom out a 2.35 image to fit it. I set display to 16x9 and screen to 2.35. I now just simply set the input aspect ratio to whatever setting the movie is and everything fits perfectly on my screen without the use of a lens.

This can be accomplished using the input aspect ratio of EDGE but it is not as easy as it is on the VP50PRO which has specific features (Output Aspect Ratio controls for Display and Screen) which EDGE does not.

To do what shamus want (which is what I want too), you need to use zoom at less than 100% and the zoom function of the VP50Pro is from 100% to 150%. So if the EDGE as the same zoom range as the VP50Pro, the EDGE will not be able to do that...

Am I right ?

Richard.
post #108 of 7061
The price of the EDGE definitely makes it attractive. One question it brings to mind is how it may effect the DVDO trade-in program. For example, right now you can trade-in a VP30 w/ABT102 for $1600 in credit towards a new processor. I'll be surprised if these trade-in values remain the same and DVDO would allow you to trade a VP30/ABT102 combo for 2 EDGE processors (but it would be sweet!)
post #109 of 7061
Obviously there are pros to the VP series...otherwise they would 1. not have come out with the Edge or 2. discontinued the VP series. But, what this represents is a HUGE advancement in lower priced VP's. There are TONS of applications...people now can broaden their range of prepro/receiver choices because they don't have to worry about video processing in those...people can now make many projectors a CIH setup for a LOT less money...it is only barely more than a 6x1 HDMI switch, plus you have all the other benefits.

Is it for everyone? No...but at this price I'll be getting some for all my displays...
post #110 of 7061
I back up that Jason !

I realy do think EDGE was the VP a lot of people were waiting for !
At this price range, nothing can deliver like the EDGE does !
post #111 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackox View Post

I realy do think EDGE was the VP a lot of people were waiting for !
At this price range, nothing can deliver like the EDGE does !

There's definetely a market for a decent VP under $1000, and not much to chose from for decent upconverting of SD content.

Let's hope the EDGE is released soon.
post #112 of 7061
This looks like a nice unit but seems to be missing a glaring inexpensive(I think)feature. That is to offer two HDMI video outputs. I just added a Samsung DLP RPTV to my video room(Bat cave as my wife calls it) for average/normal TV watching. I have a 100" ceiling mounted DLP projector for movies and big sports events. I would think that many if not most of AVS hobbyists have a setup similar to mine. Am I correct in saying this product does not satisfy this basic need?

Right now I chase this problem by sending my HDDVD via HDMI to the projector. I send Direct TV component to the projector and it's HDMI output to the new Samsung. This works but it would be really nice to have both inputs output via HDMI to the two sets. I would love to have it's processing improve much of the Direct TV content, even the HD stuff I suspect. My AVR is older and does not have HDMI and I don't want to replace it at this time.

That being said, could this Monoprice device be my solution:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I hesitate to spend $799 on a quality product and then screw up the signal with a $15 device that could have been designed in originally for a very small product cost.

Jack
post #113 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

This looks like a nice unit but seems to be missing a glaring inexpensive(I think)feature. That is to offer two HDMI video outputs. I just added a Samsung DLP RPTV to my video room(Bat cave as my wife calls it) for average/normal TV watching. I have a 100" ceiling mounted DLP projector for movies and big sports events. I would think that many if not most of AVS hobbyists have a setup similar to mine. Am I correct in saying this product does not satisfy this basic need?

Right now I chase this problem by sending my HDDVD via HDMI to the projector. I send Direct TV component to the projector and it's HDMI output to the new Samsung. This works but it would be really nice to have both inputs output via HDMI to the two sets. I would love to have it's processing improve much of the Direct TV content, even the HD stuff I suspect. My AVR is older and does not have HDMI and I don't want to replace it at this time.

That being said, could this Monoprice device be my solution:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I hesitate to spend $799 on a quality product and then screw up the signal with a $15 device that could have been designed in originally for a very small product cost.

Jack

I tried that Y split on my system and it was very flaky. I went with the 4x2 and it works great. Not sure where you are in relation to LA, but your more than welcome to borrow the Y split if you'd like.
post #114 of 7061
With those passive splitters you can run into HDCP problems (experienced it myself). There are active 1x2 (or more ports) splitters or matrix-switches for $99 out there which will work perfectly and are not THIS expensive as well.....
post #115 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

This looks like a nice unit but seems to be missing a glaring inexpensive(I think)feature. That is to offer two HDMI video outputs. I just added a Samsung DLP RPTV to my video room(Bat cave as my wife calls it) for average/normal TV watching. I have a 100" ceiling mounted DLP projector for movies and big sports events. I would think that many if not most of AVS hobbyists have a setup similar to mine. Am I correct in saying this product does not satisfy this basic need?

Right now I chase this problem by sending my HDDVD via HDMI to the projector. I send Direct TV component to the projector and it's HDMI output to the new Samsung. This works but it would be really nice to have both inputs output via HDMI to the two sets. I would love to have it's processing improve much of the Direct TV content, even the HD stuff I suspect. My AVR is older and does not have HDMI and I don't want to replace it at this time.

That being said, could this Monoprice device be my solution:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I hesitate to spend $799 on a quality product and then screw up the signal with a $15 device that could have been designed in originally for a very small product cost.

Jack


It may be a low cost option to add but I think you're in the minority of people looking to support 2 HDMI display devices with one VP. This box can't be all things to all people at this price tag.
post #116 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Yeah, I got the "autoreply" message also... apparently whoever is supposed to be reviewing the potential Beta Testers is currently on vacation.

There are several people receiving the questionnaires within Anchor Bay. One of these people did have the auto reply feature turned on. I am the one reviewing the questionnaires and I don't plan on going vacation any time soon.
post #117 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

If they shared the same mindset as Lumagen, prices would be going up too!

I already talked with one on LUMAGENS techs and thay are coming out with a lower coast solution as well ,but he said it would not be under a thousand for there unit.So still no real comparisons with any other ,,,yet.I think there will be fare more competition for scalers under a grand than ever before.They have to get competitive before the newer display technology and better cheaper on board processors wipes them out.The law of business is expand and change ,improve before someone beats you to it .
post #118 of 7061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackox View Post

Hi Josh !

Will it be possible to switch from the Beta's face to the production unit face ?

I'd like to know this too.
post #119 of 7061
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

I'd like to know this too.

Because of the front panel HDMI, IR and LED being in this face plate it is not something that most consumers would be able to swap out themselves. It is certainly something that we can consider, understood that this is something that we would have to charge for.
post #120 of 7061
What interests me the most about this product is what it isn't.

This is DVDO's attempt--a good one I think--to get some market penetration into the budget video processor market. The question remains what they will offer as a true update to the VP50Pro to service the high end and offer competition to the Lumagen Radiance, which has created a lot of interest because of its unique feature set.

The NEXT announcement from DVDO should be really interesting. If they can offer custom gamma/grayscale adjustments and color management in a VP50Pro replacement, this segment is going to have a lot to offer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors ›  DVDO EDGE !!