or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Thanks for the links. Here's the link for the 03 parts: http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...lNum=VSX-03TXH

I think there has always been some overlap between the top model in the regular Pioneer line and the entry level Elite models ever since the VSX-1014TX and the VSX-52TX came out back in 2004. This is what makes the top end regular Pioneers such values and makes it a somewhat tough value decision in determining whether the extra $150 to $400 in MSRP for the VSX-01TXH and the VSX-03TXH makes sense. The Elites offer you better construction (which can translate to better sound) and an additional year warranty as well as few more options in terms of connectivity.

Also, the QC for the Elites is stricter - I believe only a 3% deviation from spec is tolerated v. 5% for the regular Pio line.
post #212 of 3258
I just had my audio system calibrated by UMR (Jeff Meier). The 01 is driving Atlantic 171 mains, Atlantic 2200 center, M&K K4 surrounds and an Infinity PS10 sub. Prior setup was Auto MCCAC adjusted manually with RS analog SPL, x-over at 100 hz.

Post-calibration the difference in sound quality is major. The results were immediate and obvious with some demo material. He raised the crossover which really helped the response of the small surrounds. The blending of the speakers and the smoothness of the sound are now much better. As an example, before I had a dip of almost 12 dbs from 200 hz to about 160 hz. Now, that same spot dips only 8 dbs. I also had a 16 dbs difference from 100hz to 90 hz which Jeff tamed to 7dbs. I also had my sub several dbs too hot. I would strongly encourage those who want to get the most out of their audio setups to have them calibrated/equalized by a THX certified professional such as UMR.

By the way, he liked the 01 and thought it was as good as anything in its price range.
post #213 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

I just had my audio system calibrated by UMR (Jeff Meier). The 01 is driving Atlantic 171 mains, Atlantic 2200 center, M&K K4 surrounds and an Infinity PS10 sub. Prior setup was Auto MCCAC adjusted manually with RS analog SPL, x-over at 100 hz.

Post-calibration the difference in sound quality is major. The results were immediate and obvious with some demo material. He raised the crossover which really helped the response of the small surrounds. The blending of the speakers and the smoothness of the sound are now much better. As an example, before I had a dip of almost 12 dbs from 200 hz to about 160 hz. Now, that same spot dips only 8 dbs. I also had a 16 dbs difference from 100hz to 90 hz which Jeff tamed to 7dbs. I also had my sub several dbs too hot. I would strongly encourage those who want to get the most out of their audio setups to have them calibrated/equalized by a THX certified professional such as UMR.

By the way, he liked the 01 and thought it was as good as anything in its price range.


Thanks for the kind words it was a pleasure.
post #214 of 3258
Has anyone tried to hook up one of the new 4th generation Ipod Nano's to their receiver yet and see if it charges through the USB port and is recognized in the Home Media Gallery?

Supplies of the 3rd Generation are dwindling fast, and I noticed something about Apple changing the dock connector charging specs yet AGAIN in the new ones.

Thanks!
post #215 of 3258
Thread Starter 
Great. It looks like we finally got a name change.
post #216 of 3258
I am officially an owner of the 01! Hooking it up tomorrow.
post #217 of 3258
Came home late last night with an 03, hooked it up quick and dirty: speakers, HDMI from PS3 and to TV, 5.1 multichannel in from RP91 DVD/DVD-A player (for CDs and DVD-A). Ran MCACC (which, yes, has an OSD from the early 1990s...or late 1980s ).

Initial impressions, subject to much revision as I only tested it out for about an hour and a half last night with a few movie scenes and some music:

1. MCACC does yield a more "balanced" and pleasing sound, at regular and lower volumes, than direct 5.1 from my old NAD T763. I think there may be some dynamic range compression happening, which is why lower volumes may be more audible, despite me looking at all settings and not really finding it. Or perhaps there isn't, and my old system setup was just so off that I'd lose dialogue when I turned the volume down [this could very well be the case]
. This doesn't happen with the 03.

2. At low to middle volume levels, the subjective sound quality to my ears is at least on par with the T763 for non HD-audio sources (i.e. stereo from CD). With the new HD-audio codecs (albeit converted to LPCM by my PS3), the sound is improved over the regular DTS/DD from my T763. Whether that's due to the better codec, or the better setup due to MCACC I'm not sure. But I can say the bass sounds deeper without necessarily being louder or boomier. It's odd, I'd say it's better balanced sounding. I will have to try cranking it up tonight (it was too late last night to really turn it up).

3. I have some HDMI signal problems. The PS3, whenever it loads up various BDs and is directly connected to my TV, makes the signal drop in and out occasionally (especially on BD-J titles). But my TV always picked it up eventually. A couple of times last night, now using the 03 as a switcher, there seemed to be more drop-outs as a BD-J title like Transformers was loading up. And then I could actually hear the Dreamworks logo sound playing but the TV hadn't picked up the picture. So I paused the PS3 and played again and voila, it appeared. I have ordered 2 monoprice HDMI cables which I'm hoping solves the problem (my original HDMI cable from PS3 to TV is a good brand, thick cable, but the second one which I started using was a cheap PC Micro Store brand). I'll swap out one or both cables with the Monoprice ones to see if it helps. Anyone else have HDMI signal dropouts using the 03?
post #218 of 3258
Got the 01 today and did a quick hookup and now I've got a couple of questions.

1) Using HDMI out of the 01 to a Kuro 150FD the Setup menu flickers quite a bit. I haven't tried a new HDMI cable yet, but has anyone else seen this?

2) I have a SA 8300HD DVR connected to HDMI 1, I only get a picture when a 480i signal is sent out. When a 720p or 1080i signal is sent the screen goes blank. Any thoughts?

Thanks...
post #219 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

Got the 01 today and did a quick hookup and now I've got a couple of questions.

1) Using HDMI out of the 01 to a Kuro 150FD the Setup menu flickers quite a bit. I haven't tried a new HDMI cable yet, but has anyone else seen this?

2) I have a SA 8300HD DVR connected to HDMI 1, I only get a picture when a 480i signal is sent out. When a 720p or 1080i signal is sent the screen goes blank. Any thoughts?

Thanks...

I havn't had any of those issues. I have a comcast DVR and it takes a few seconds for the HDMI to switch, but other than that I get 1080i flawlessly..Maybe your cable box is the issue. On the Kuro 150FD Im not sure whats going on. Maybe the HDMI cable, or just how your 01 and HDTV react together. Try the new HDMI and see how that goes..Good Luck.
post #220 of 3258
An addendum to my post that conjectured if there was dynamic range compression happening. The answer is yes: THX Loudness Plus is enabled by default. I've turned it off to see if I feel strongly one way or the other about the difference. If I'm listening at near reference volumes I try to turn off as much digital effects as I can (short of the MCACC calibration settings), but I can definitely testify that if you want to listen at lower volumes, THX Loudness Plus works way better than Dynamic Range Compression (which my old NAD T763 had). Much smoother effect, still lets some dynamic range through versus the DRC which capped how loud the overall loudest peaks could get without really bringing up the lowest part of the volumes, at least effectively so. I hated using DRC on my T763 but I really like the effect of Loudness Plus on the 03.
post #221 of 3258
I just hooked up my 01 for the first time and it sounds great right out of the box. I still have to go through and learn all the settings, though.
post #222 of 3258
CarloM, which TV model do you have?
I know some older models had HDMI dropout problems.
post #223 of 3258
Sony KDS-60A3000, the last rear projection SXRD TV Sony made before going all LCD/flat panel. Bought it almost exactly one year ago. When connected directly to the PS3 it didn't do this, but does now with the 03.

Watched Kill Bill v.2 and some scenes from Ratatouille last night. Neither caused a complete loss of signal like what happened in Transformers, but the picture does flicker in and out more during the "loading" stages of the BD [i.e. going from trailers to menu to BD-J loading screen, etc.] than it did when hooked directly up to the PS3. Would this be classified as HDMI dropout? It doesn't drop while a movie is playing, only while going from each of those "transition" screens.

Looks like Monoprice shipped out my cables this morning and I should have them tomorrow, so I'll swap them out and report if I see any difference.

Noticed something odd on the extra "Making of Kill Bill v.2" which was in 480p 4:3 on the Blu Ray. I could see light "interference lines/waves" in the black bars of the picture. Not the left/right black bars, where my TV put bars to compensate for the 4:3 nature, but on the actual 4:3 picture of the program, when it would show parts of the film and would "letterbox" it. I was (admittedly) too lazy to switch to a direct connection to the TV last night to see if it was part of the feature of something wrong with the HDMI passthrough of the receiver. When I get back home tonight I'll switch to a direct connection and post what I find.
post #224 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoyt View Post

I havn't had any of those issues. I have a comcast DVR and it takes a few seconds for the HDMI to switch, but other than that I get 1080i flawlessly..Maybe your cable box is the issue. On the Kuro 150FD Im not sure whats going on. Maybe the HDMI cable, or just how your 01 and HDTV react together. Try the new HDMI and see how that goes..Good Luck.

HDMI cables were the cause of both issues. Strange because they were both used in the previous setup. Thanks for the help...
post #225 of 3258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

Got the 01 today and did a quick hookup and now I've got a couple of questions.

1) Using HDMI out of the 01 to a Kuro 150FD the Setup menu flickers quite a bit. I haven't tried a new HDMI cable yet, but has anyone else seen this?

2) I have a SA 8300HD DVR connected to HDMI 1, I only get a picture when a 480i signal is sent out. When a 720p or 1080i signal is sent the screen goes blank. Any thoughts?

Thanks...

I haven't experienced this with my Kuro 5010. I use a monoprice cable suitable for in wall installations.

I have a DTV HR20 connected to HDMI 1 and all signals come through with no problems. The 01 passes through HDMI signals untouched so it shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe a setting on your 150FD? I know the 150 is somewhat different from my 5010 in setup capabilities but I don't know in what regards. What happens when you hook up the SA 8300HD DVR directly to your Kuro?
post #226 of 3258
I'm looking for an AVR that weighs right around 29 lbs +/- .5 lbs. OK, just kidding. The Integra costs $250 more. This $ differences seems to buy you:

1. Audyssey calibration
2. Easier system integration (as opposed to Pioneer proprietary approach)
3. An extra HDMI input
4. HDMI upscaling

The Elite has some neat things going for it as well:
1. Sound Retriever technology to upgrade sound of compressed music files (e.g., MP3s)
2. Doesn't run as hot as the Integra

They both have similar power and I can't find anything to see a basic quality/durability difference between the Integra and Elite lines.

A few questions.
1. Does this analysis sound reasonable?
2. Can someone comment on how good the Sound Retriever technology is? I have a lot of music stored on my PC that I transmit using the Sonos wireless music streaming system (eaysy & excellent!).
3. Any thoughts on other receivers to consider (e.g., Denon, Yamaha) given my price range & the analysis above?
post #227 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

I haven't experienced this with my Kuro 5010. I use a monoprice cable suitable for in wall installations.

I have a DTV HR20 connected to HDMI 1 and all signals come through with no problems. The 01 passes through HDMI signals untouched so it shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe a setting on your 150FD? I know the 150 is somewhat different from my 5010 in setup capabilities but I don't know in what regards. What happens when you hook up the SA 8300HD DVR directly to your Kuro?

All is fixed and working correctly. One of my HDMI cables went bad. It just happened to be the one that connected the cable box to my 150FD in my prior setup.

Thanks for the advice...
post #228 of 3258
I just hooked up my 1801 and I have a few questions. This is the first new receiver purchase for me since 1997. Wow what a difference in sound. I was using a Pioneer VSX 453 or something like that.

How do I hook up my equlizer to the new receiver? I had it hooked up previously to my old receiver under the tape 2 function which stayed on all the time. You can't do that with this one I don't think.
post #229 of 3258
VideoVirgin, I don't know enough about the Integra to make any useful comparisons, but a couple of your listed advantages raised questions.

I'm not sure what aspects of system integration you consider better on the Integra, but, no matter what their marketing department says, that tends to be a bit dicey for all brands. You never know for sure until you try it with your particular system. On the other hand, virtually all receivers play well enough with other components that it isn't a major issue for most owners.

As for Audyssey calibration, many reviewers like Pioneer's MCACC better. There is no clear cut winner. Like many such things, its a matter of personal preference.

It's not a feature of interest to me, but by most published accounts, while Sound Retriever is better than nothing, it falls short of its implied function of making MP3 etc. sound like CD. It's probably more valuable for those who are not all that dissatisfied with the former's sound to begin with. Still, I'm sure there are members who use this function who can comment.
post #230 of 3258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoVirgin View Post

2. Can someone comment on how good the Sound Retriever technology is? I have a lot of music stored on my PC that I transmit using the Sonos wireless music streaming system (eaysy & excellent!).

I can definitely tell a difference with the sound retriever technology especially with MP3s at lower bit rates. More punch.
post #231 of 3258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff sizemore View Post

How do I hook up my equlizer to the new receiver? I had it hooked up previously to my old receiver under the tape 2 function which stayed on all the time. You can't do that with this one I don't think.

Use your analog out connections to the equalizer and then to an external power amp and then out to your speakers.

Otherwise it "ain't" gonna work.

Everything is digital these days.

I still can't understand why AVR companies can't give us separate EQs for each channel built in to the receiver.

I love tweeking with EQs. I guess this goes back to the good ol days in the early 70s when I first got one for my stereo.

MCACC is supposed to take care of the peaks and dips to give you a flat response but I still like to tweek.

ETA: oops I forgot you were talking about a 1018 and they don't have analog outs, so it looks like you can't use the EQ even if it did have analog in.
post #232 of 3258
I have a wii, xbox 360 and xbox i would hook up over component. so if i get the elite 01, i have to run a component out for this?

also for $50 is it worth getting the Elite 01 or the 1018.

I currently have the 1018 that i bought at my bby today but i am considering returning it for the 01 elite.

also, one other question...

for the ps3 audio. what is the best way to set it up? pcm or bitstream?
post #233 of 3258
^ I'd like to know as well regarding elite 01 vs. 1018? I need to buy this weekend and just can't decide on which one. I kind of want to lean towards elite 01 since it has THX select 2, not sure how much that matters though. I just got rid of an Onkyo 805 that had THX Ultra 2 but I did not really care for the onkyo at all.
post #234 of 3258
Personally, my dealer was able to get the 01 to me for less than the 1018 (he carried the Elites in stock, but would have had to pay shipping to get the 1018), so it was a no-brainer. If you can get them close in price, the 01 is worth it just for THX and the extra year of warranty.
post #235 of 3258
freaksavior -- AFIK the only way to get the lossless audio from the PS3 is to use PCM (LPCM).
post #236 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

I have a wii, xbox 360 and xbox i would hook up over component. so if i get the elite 01, i have to run a component out for this?

also for $50 is it worth getting the Elite 01 or the 1018.

I currently have the 1018 that i bought at my bby today but i am considering returning it for the 01 elite.

also, one other question...

for the ps3 audio. what is the best way to set it up? pcm or bitstream?

You can do either that or run HDMI, it will upscale the output to 1080P though. Yes it is worth the $50 more...Better built unit than the 1018, I took my 1018 back and got the 01 and alot happier. PCM all the way for now. Maybe in later revisions of the PS3 they will get it right and do Bitstream...but for now its PCM.
post #237 of 3258
Is there much of a difference if any at all really between 130 watts a channel and 110 watts a channel?
post #238 of 3258
For $50 more, you might as well go for the 01.....even if it's just for the 2extra year warranty.

No real world difference between 110 and 130 watts.
post #239 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

...for $50 is it worth getting the Elite 01 or the 1018...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoyt View Post

...Yes it is worth the $50 more...
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

For $50 more, you might as well go for the 01.....even if it's just for the 2extra year warranty...

+1.

For $50, I wouldn't hesitate an instant. (And didn't!)
post #240 of 3258
ok,

thanks guys, im going to exchange it then.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread