or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 3258
Ive got a Pioneer receiver on the way. I am looking forward to the install, but realize that there may be tweaking issues.

The MCACC advice is splintered and having it in one place would be great.

Ive learned that I need to tap into the OFFICIAL VSX 07-01TXH thread, the OFFICAL 03-01TXH thread and the VSX-1018TXH thread to find out the nuances of MCACC.....

Why dont we consolidate all MCACC questions.

I was considering Denon for a while and spent tooo many hrs reading their threads. They have an OFFICIAL AUDYSSEY thread and their "pro's give great advice. (one great poster has even come up with his version of the Audyssey manual which is better than Denons ! )
The MCACC advice is splintered and having it in one place would be great.

Since MCACC is similar for all Pioneer units, one place for these questions makes sense.
All I need is a yes or now.
I will also post this on the popular 1018TXH thread

Thanks
post #962 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoJetta View Post

What Ipod models work with this receiver? I know my 3rd gen doesn't work. Also does anyone know if there will be a firnware update?

I'm not into iPods, but as I understand it, it's the newest ones that don't work (software version 2.0 and later ???) as Apple made some changes unbeknownst to third party developers.

As for Pioneer offering a firmware update, I wouldn't bet on it. Their history has been that they very, very rarely do.
post #963 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

Ive got a Pioneer receiver on the way. I am looking forward to the install, but realize that there may be tweaking issues.

The MCACC advice is splintered and having it in one place would be great.

Ive learned that I need to tap into the OFFICIAL VSX 07-01TXH thread, the OFFICAL 03-01TXH thread and the VSX-1018TXH thread to find out the nuances of MCACC.....

Why dont we consolidate all MCACC questions.

I was considering Denon for a while and spent tooo many hrs reading their threads. They have an OFFICIAL AUDYSSEY thread and their "pro's give great advice. (one great poster has even come up with his version of the Audyssey manual which is better than Denons ! )
The MCACC advice is splintered and having it in one place would be great.

Since MCACC is similar for all Pioneer units, one place for these questions makes sense.
All I need is a yes or now.
I will also post this on the popular 1018TXH thread

Thanks

While I don't think MCACC is as quirky as Audyssey (largely because it doesn't have to support multiple brands and/or simultaneous iterations), I do believe a separate MCACC thread would be a great idea.

MCACC is pretty straightforward and user friendly, but questions do come up, and they are repeated all over the place, including in threads you haven't listed. Go for it.
post #964 of 3258
Macfan424
YOU are one of those experts on MCACC who has been helpful to many Pioneer owners here.
If Ive got your endorsement....Its a go.
Will do today
Thanks
post #965 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

If you are not sure what to do, use the default 80Hz crossover. It is well suited to the vast majority of setups. It's also the one recommended by THX, among others. The other choices can be useful in certain circumstances, but in most cases there is little or nothing to be gained by changing from 80Hz.

Okay, i'll leave that at 80 but in the speakers settings i can change each one, so what should they be/
post #966 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

Okay, i'll leave that at 80 but in the speakers settings i can change each one, so what should they be/

I don't understand the question, I'm afraid. All you can change is Large, Small, or none. On Pioneer AVRs, the crossover setting is universal for all speakers. (Other brands offer more flexibility.)
post #967 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon1 View Post

Macfan424
YOU are one of those experts on MCACC who has been helpful to many Pioneer owners here.
If Ive got your endorsement....Its a go.
Will do today
Thanks

You might want to post a link in the various Pioneer AVR threads to let people know the new one exists.
post #968 of 3258
Just letting you know that there is a new OFFICIAL MCACC thread that we are hoping will be used for all MCACC questions.
This Pioneer feature is common to all units and putting these questions in one place will make it easier for you to find your MCACC answers
Here is a link to the thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?t=1112470:)
post #969 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I don't understand the question, I'm afraid. All you can change is Large, Small, or none. On Pioneer AVRs, the crossover setting is universal for all speakers. (Other brands offer more flexibility.)

That.. what is that for?
LL
post #970 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

That.. what is that for?

Since that is an MCACC question, I took the liberty of posting a response there.
post #971 of 3258
I'm pretty green and am nowhere near an audiophile, but am humbly hoping for some input. I have a modest projection 5.1 setup. Initially I was on a very tight budget, and got an entry level pioneer. Annoyingly, at some point I noticed that it would overload with explosions in action scenes. Also if I tried to play music very loudly, the same problem. It didn't seem to do this initially, but may have started after I blew a fuse by having the volume turned up loud by accident when starting a CD, but also, not too much later I had an electrician redo the wiring in the basement. Anyway, I hadn't invested much in that receiver so didn't think too much about it. But recently I upgraded to a VSX-01TXH for better sound and was thinking the overload wouldn't be a problem any longer. Unfortunately I'm having the exact same problem, it shuts down at a pretty low volume -28db setting and it just doesn't seem like this should be happening.
Any thoughts? Could this be happening because:
A) My subwoofer is set too high? I honestly don't know what settings it should be on, but I've tried tweaking it, but doesn't seem to make a difference.
B) The 110W per channel isn't much and I simply need to bite the bullet and get an amplifier. I had ordered a 1018 (130w/channel) directly from pioneer, but there was a delay so they offered me the VSX-01TXH for $20 more so I took it. I'm wondering if I'd been better off with the 1018, but I really do like the sound of this receiver, just need it louder.
c) Other. Seems far-fetched, but I'm running the receiver, DVD player, WII and HD antenna box from the same outlet that the electrician put a built in surge protector on, but nothing else cuts out so I doubt that's it.
I realize I'm knieve, but I'm learning. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
post #972 of 3258
Okay... I don't understand why Best Buy is selling the 01 at $849 while the Pio site says $750.
post #973 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDom View Post

Okay... I don't understand why Best Buy is selling the 01 at $849 while the Pio site says $750.

who knows....i just got my VSX-03 from Will2 on Videogon for a large savings. If you are in the market for an AVR, I suggest you contact him.
post #974 of 3258
Mays33,

Pro and consumer gear have different input/output gains. Most consumer gear outputs at -10 dBV, while Pro gear expects a +4 dBV input. This gain difference results in the low levels that you are experiencing.

If your Crown has gain pots, you can adjust them to compensate for the gain difference, or you can run the 03's MCACC set-up and let it compensate for the gain mismatch, or finally, get a "bump box" and let it properly adjust the gain to the +4 dBV level that your Crown expects to see. Any studio that I've ever worked in, had "bump boxes" in use, whenever using consumer equipment in a Pro signal chain. These bump boxes automatically adjust the gain between devices:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/LLS2--Main

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBox

These boxes are also used for converting from RCA to XLR and back. I still have a few spares drifting around, for use in my mastering studio. This is the box that I use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/124A/

Hope this helps,

StimpyWan

Oh yea, Channel 1 always refers to the Left channel in/out connection, while Channel 2 is the Right channel...
post #975 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman View Post

who knows....i just got my vsx-03 from will2 on videogon for a large savings. If you are in the market for an avr, i suggest you contact him.

+1
post #976 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic1 View Post

I'm pretty green and am nowhere near an audiophile, but am humbly hoping for some input. I have a modest projection 5.1 setup. Initially I was on a very tight budget, and got an entry level pioneer. Annoyingly, at some point I noticed that it would overload with explosions in action scenes. Also if I tried to play music very loudly, the same problem. It didn't seem to do this initially, but may have started after I blew a fuse by having the volume turned up loud by accident when starting a CD, but also, not too much later I had an electrician redo the wiring in the basement. Anyway, I hadn't invested much in that receiver so didn't think too much about it. But recently I upgraded to a VSX-01TXH for better sound and was thinking the overload wouldn't be a problem any longer. Unfortunately I'm having the exact same problem, it shuts down at a pretty low volume -28db setting and it just doesn't seem like this should be happening.
Any thoughts? Could this be happening because:
A) My subwoofer is set too high? I honestly don't know what settings it should be on, but I've tried tweaking it, but doesn't seem to make a difference.
B) The 110W per channel isn't much and I simply need to bite the bullet and get an amplifier. I had ordered a 1018 (130w/channel) directly from pioneer, but there was a delay so they offered me the VSX-01TXH for $20 more so I took it. I'm wondering if I'd been better off with the 1018, but I really do like the sound of this receiver, just need it louder.
c) Other. Seems far-fetched, but I'm running the receiver, DVD player, WII and HD antenna box from the same outlet that the electrician put a built in surge protector on, but nothing else cuts out so I doubt that's it.
I realize I'm knieve, but I'm learning. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

A) Assuming you have a powered sub, its setting should have nothing to do with it. Just to answer that part of your question, the sub's gain control should be in the 11:00 - 1:00 range in most cases, the AVR's sub setting should be in the -5 to 0 range (these are approximate, not precise, as many factors affect this).

B) The power rates of the 1018 and the 01/03 are identical. Pioneer just choose to advertise the less stringent 1 kH, 6 ohm rating for the 1018, and the more legitimate 20 Hz-20 kHz 8 ohm rating for the Elite models. (See specs on p 102 of your owners manual) Moreover, even a difference existed, the difference between 110w and 130w is inconsequential in practical terms (~ 0.7 dB at max output).

C) I'd guess it's "other", but it's hard to know just what. -28dB should never cause the problem. I'd say you had a defective receiver it you hadn't had the same problem with another one. Any chance there could be some frayed wires or loose connections somewhere? You might check your speakers, too. One of them may be shorting out. Try disconnecting them individually, and see if you can isolate the problem to one of them.

(I'm assuming that only your receiver shuts down, not a circuit breaker in the surge protector or room power line.)
post #977 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDom View Post

Okay... I don't understand why Best Buy is selling the 01 at $849 while the Pio site says $750.

Tell them on the pioneer site its 749, they should match it since its vendor
post #978 of 3258
hey everyone, after reading a majority of this thread I was convinced to get the VSX-03. Great unit so far, couldn't be happier. I have one question though with the setup...I bought the DefTech Pro Cinema 600 5.1 speakers to round out my theater. The speaker instructions state very clearly that the system will sound much better if the front L and R are wired directly to the sub and then to the front speakers out through the sub. It says the setup should then be set to Large front L and R speakers and no sub. This is the so called "preferred" method.

I am wondering if a) this setup is actually better than a traditional setup with a receiver of this quality, and 2) if by tricking the receiver with this method am I cancelling out all the benefits of the MCACC auto setup?

Thanks for any and all inputs!
post #979 of 3258
It shouldn't effect MCACC.

Just try it both ways and see which sounds better to you.

Might want to read THIS
post #980 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwalls View Post

+1

+2 i ordered mine yesterday
post #981 of 3258
I got my VSX-01TXH to work with my girlfriend iPod nano, but my iPhone won't work. Is this a known issue? Is there a firmware update for this? It seems dumb.

I didn't think this would be a problem.
post #982 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezings View Post

I got my VSX-01TXH to work with my girlfriend iPod nano, but my iPhone won't work. Is this a known issue? Is there a firmware update for this? It seems dumb.

I didn't think this would be a problem.

01 works just a few Ipods, it has to do with the usb connections and how Ipods powers up. It would be a few lines of code to in the firmware to make all the ipods work.
post #983 of 3258
Quick question: Set my XSX-01txh over the weekend. When watching TV if the source is DD 5.1 during regular programming all is OK. I have a 6.1 set up until I do some speaker repair and I'm in DD EX for playback. When a commercial comes on the receiver switches to stereo and the volume goes way up then back to 5.1 for program material and all OK again. Shouldn't the receiver stay in DD? Is there a way to force it to stay in DD EX for 2 channel material. I know I'm missing something. Appreciate the help.
post #984 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman View Post

who knows....i just got my VSX-03 from Will2 on Videogon for a large savings. If you are in the market for an AVR, I suggest you contact him.

+1 here too. Just received my 03 from Will yesterday, hooked it up and blew me away. I didn't think my old receiver was all that outdated, pio vsx-d608, but evidently it was.
post #985 of 3258
Pioneer VSX-01TXH vs Onkyo TX-SR705

As a long time Onkyo AVR user I recently switched to Pioneer (a 3 day user). I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH and since both receivers are fairly tight in specs and price I thought it might be interesting to put my thoughts down on each model and to compare the +s and -s. The comparative notes do not reflect the new Onk 706 which may be a closer match yet.

Please excuse the winbag approach. I probably could have table formatted the comparison but that's a bit dry.

I set up the new Pioneer VSX-01TXH this past weekend. Some observations, likes, dislikes and a comparison to my Onkyo 705 that I have had for some time.

Likes & Onk Comparison:
Video
I set up my Motorola cable box to go into the Pio with component and out of the AVR via HDMI. My Moto cable box is set to output HD @ 1080i and SD material @ 480i. I felt the SD up-conversion and output to the TV was very good, better than native. Of course, some channels are garbage but there's little I can do about that. The use of component to HDMI on HD material showed little if any difference in comparison to a direct connection of Moto HDMI to the TV. I was switching back and forth using the TV input selector, especially if I thought I was seeing artifacts or softness. Both connections had the same results. Bottom line, very good handling of the TV signal.

The Onk 705 up-conversion was little more than a joke. The most it would output from an analog signal up-converted to HDMI was 720p (even if the source was 1080i!!) which rendered the connection scheme used above a no go. It did pass HDMI to HDMI fine so its best effort was as an HDMI switch which meant no benefit from the Faroudja chip and it made the OSD non-functional over HDMI. Bottom line: Good marketing, non-functional performance, poor show.

MCACC vs Audyssey
I ran the quick version of MCACC. I liked the fact that it runs a number of different tests/tones to specifically test for different parameters. I thought it did a good job with the quickie set up option. The quickie set up is a one microphone position system vs Audyssey that uses multiple microphone positions and one set of test tones at each position. MCACC distances were accurate, as were intial levels IMO. MCACC did set all speakers to large (as does Onkyo's implementation of Audyssey).

MCACC is very tweak-able and very visible, much different than Audyssey, even to the extent of being able to upload data into your PC and viewing the results in graphic format. I will get more into the intricacies of MCACC as time goes on. Bottom line: Out of the box initial/quickie MCACC setup = OK, no major issues.

The Onk 705 comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT that utilizes up to 8 microphone positiions. Different than MCACC, you would position the microphone, it runs a low to high chirp through each speaker and then you reposition the microphone to the next seating area. This repeats until you have done a minumum of three up to a max of eight positions. What Audyssey does with the info is unknown to me as you use it or not. No accessibility to its EQ or parameter data, curves, etc. I've always liked what it did and I suspect that Audyssey's algorithms are probably pretty sophisticated, especially for opening up the sweet spot. Bottom Line: Good product, different approach than MCACC. Call it a tie Audyssey vs MCACC. This may change one way or the other as I tinker with MCACC.

Audio
I don't pretend to have critical listener status, just a couch potato. Both AVR's sound fine to me, I'll leave the "detailed", "warm", "bright", etc to others with better or more discerning hearing. BTW, I'm running a 6.1 set up until I finish some speaker repair.

Both receivers come with more DSPs/listening modes than one could possibly know what to do with. Some are different, Onk has a bunch of Onk designed DSPs more inclined to 2 channel stuff (don't use 'em) and Pio has a bunch of coloration schemes called Advanced Surround Mode that let you add effects/emphasis to movies, games, music, etc. Big list. Probably won't use 'em.

Both Pio and Onk handle DD THD, MCH PCM, DTS HD MA and the rest of the DD and DTS DSPs. Both will allow you to create back channels for just about any source, including MCH PCM. Both have a Pure mode and a semi pure or direct mode. Both have THX DSPs.

I don't play loud so any egregious sins such as clipping or or excessive distortion at the top end of the dB scale weren't noticed. Bottom line: Pio '01TXH and Onk 705 serve my audio needs fine.

General & Other & Small Change:
I wish I had a nickel for every mention of (excessive) heat regarding Onkyos. The worst I can say about the Pio VSX-01TXH and heat is if you place your hand on it you can barely tell it's on. To Pioneer +++++

The Pio still uses Large and Small speaker settings and the crossover setting is universally applied to all small speakers. With the Onk each speaker or speaker pair can have its own xover setting starting at 40hZ and going up in increments of 10hZ. To Onkyo +++++

The Pio Elite is better looking, I like the amber display. To Pioneer ++

The Onk 705 allows for presetting listening mode based on source material and the input you have selected. For example you can tell it to always use DD PLIIx for all DD 5.1 material when watching/listening to DVD. You can tell it if DTS comes on via the DVD port to use Neo:6, etc. Or you can set it to use the last mode you selected if valid. Very useful. I haven't found the equivalent in the Pioneer. To Onkyo +++++

The Pio has a USB port on the front panel that will accept a USB memory stick. I used it to run some speaker tests with .mp3 files of sine wave tones from 5hZ to 22khZ. You get full functionality, forward-reverse-pause-random, etc. Just like playing via a CD player, but more convenient. A lot easier than burning CDs. To Pioneer +++++

Both the Pio and the Onk come up a little short in the functions that are available without having to drill down in a Menu. On the Pioneer I'd like to see things like Dialog Enhancement available with a Harmony button push instead of having to go into Audio Parameters when the wife says she can't hear what they're saying. I note that the IR codes and Pronto codes are available on the Pio website (that do include Dialog Enhancement). All I have to do is figure how to get them in my Harmony? Guess I'll call Harmony for help.

The Onk has the ability to control start up volume. On AVR startup you can preset a volume level. Very useful when you turn the system on when everyone else is sleeping. Onkyo +++

Techie Stuff
Both the Onk 705 and the Pio '01 have the ability to be firmware upgraded. Both use a CD for DSP updates and both use the serial port for Main firmware. Both companies keep user available upgrades to themselves and use service centers for the actual upgrades if available. Firmware for the Onk has been widely "leaked" and there have been many user performed upgrades. I haven't read where any Pio firmware has been made available to users, over or under the table.

Both AVRs use a 32 bit Renesas Main CPU. The Onk uses an NEC chip for video/HDMI and the Pio uses another Renasas variation. Both AVRs use the excellent SI 9134/35 HDMI transmitter & receiver. This chip set has an excellent reputation in the HDMI anti-jitter campaign. I believe the Faroudja chips are identical, if I recollect correctly.

The Pio remote is hard to use at first although there is a plethora of options, impossible to use in dim lighting. Ditto to the Onk. No biggee, Harmony user, just a PITA.

Customer & Technical Service
Onkyo CS & TS are legendary. They are so bad that they have to be trained in this way. Their shoddy and arrogant treatment of customers is perhaps the main reason for jumping product lines even though I feel I have spent a great deal of time learning and understanding the 705 operations.

My initial experience with Pioneer Customer Service started out poor. I had ordered A VSX-1018AH-k direct from Pioneer with a promo coupon ($389). I received absolutely no feedback on ship date. Emails went unanswered for weeks. Poor show. Finally after a couple of weeks Pio contacted me and said they had over sold the 1018 but for $20 they would upgrade me to the VSX-01TXH for $20 and they had them ready to ship. Right thing to do. Getting it out of their warehouse took a few days but I think they did a stand up job of eventually taking care of their customers. Pioneer +++

Once again sorry for the wind. I'm still learning the Pio '01 so if any glaring errata is noticed, my apologies, and please set me right.
post #986 of 3258
Quote:


My initial experience with Pioneer Customer Service started out poor. I had ordered A VSX-1018AH-k direct from Pioneer with a promo coupon ($389). I received absolutely no feedback on ship date. Emails went unanswered for weeks. Poor show. Finally after a couple of weeks Pio contacted me and said they had over sold the 1018 but for $20 they would upgrade me to the VSX-01TXH for $20 and they had them ready to ship. Right thing to do. Getting it out of their warehouse took a few days but I think they did a stand up job of eventually taking care of their customers. Pioneer +++


I'm very please with Pioneer customer service.
post #987 of 3258
Gents - I have poured over the manual and the forum in regards to my VSX-03; I cannot find the answer to my question. I apologize in advance if I missed it somewhere:

Is there a way to watch one video feed on HDMI1 and listen to music on the CD analogs at the same time? I like to watch sports some times with my music in the background. Any ideas ??

thanks!
post #988 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman View Post

Gents - I have poured over the manual and the forum in regards to my VSX-03; I cannot find the answer to my question. I apologize in advance if I missed it somewhere:

Is there a way to watch one video feed on HDMI1 and listen to music on the CD analogs at the same time? I like to watch sports some times with my music in the background. Any ideas ??

thanks!

It has come up a few times (possibly in some of the other Pioneer Receiver threads), but I haven't seen anyone provide a solution. I do it by routing my D* video directly to my TV, bypassing the receiver (which gets the audio portion via an optical connection). But I don't know of any way to do this if you want to run all video through the receiver so you can have only one cable to the TV.
post #989 of 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

It has come up a few times (possibly in some of the other Pioneer Receiver threads), but I haven't seen anyone provide a solution. I do it by routing my D* video directly to my TV, bypassing the receiver (which gets the audio portion via an optical connection). But I don't know of any way to do this if you want to run all video through the receiver so you can have only one cable to the TV.

yeah i am doing HDMI to my receiver. I may have to call Pioneer see if they know anything.
post #990 of 3258
Quote:


I may have to call Pioneer see if they know anything.

Let us know what you find out. I wanted to do the same thing and I tried messing with the input source setup but couldn't get it to work. Audio over HDMI must be higher priority. Sounds like a firmware update could address but from what I've read on this forum, Pio doesn't generally do updates.

I didn't try to connect via component from one source and optical from another but I think that should work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official VSX-01TXH and VSX-03TXH Owners Thread