or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'True Blood' in HD on HBO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'True Blood' in HD on HBO - Page 8

post #211 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My money's on Sam right now...

Ya think? ... OTOH, they've made it pretty obvious even to the casual viewer, so don't discount the red-herring factor yet.
post #212 of 3651
Having read the books it's fun to read the speculation here.

Lois Smith as Sookie's grandma was great. That's a character that I'll miss watching.
post #213 of 3651
I'll watch the first season, then read the book(s). I can't see where this is going yet, so it's pretty entertaining. Hopefully, there will be enough differences not to spoil future seasons if I read on. Dexter's first season was close to the first book, but the last 2 diverged entirely, a good thing, since I like the series better than the books.
post #214 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I'll watch the first season, then read the book(s). I can't see where this is going yet, so it's pretty entertaining. Hopefully, there will be enough differences not to spoil future seasons if I read on. Dexter's first season was close to the first book, but the last 2 diverged entirely, a good thing, since I like the series better than the books.

The first two books were terrific, different from but just as good as the TV show. Unfortunately, the third, Dexter in the Dark, was not as good. There is supposed to be a fourth next year. I hope that Lindsay gets back in form with it.
post #215 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The first two books were terrific, different from but just as good as the TV show. Unfortunately, the third, Dexter in the Dark, was not as good. There is supposed to be a fourth next year. I hope that Lindsay gets back in form with it.

I've read all three. I'm with you...No.3 wasn't a bad read, but slipped into the fantasy/horror genre. Interestingly, we took a long road trip recently, 12 hours roundtrip. We decided an audiobook would work nicely and chose Dexter #2 which I had enjoyed in print. I don't recommend it. Lindsay's prose as narration and dialog works fine when you envision MCH doing it, but yawns as an audiobook.

Enough Dexter...back to True Blood
post #216 of 3651
I enjoyed this week's episode. I thought the scene that explained how Bill became a vampire was well done; Sookie's brain dead but, ah, sexually athletic brother continues to tickle me to death.

I listen to a lot of audio books and have learned that I am always at the mercy of the talent of the reader. Unfortunately, most of the actors and actresses who do read audio books have a level of talent ranging from modest to none. Nevertheless, A good book read by a talented actor is a treat. For example, listen to any of the Harry Potter books, which are read by Jim Dale. Wow!
post #217 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I enjoyed this week's episode. I thought the scene that explained how Bill became a vampire was well done; Sookie's brain dead but, ah, sexually athletic brother continues to tickle me to death.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how Bill became a vampire. The Civil War vampress didn't drain him, but she made him drink her blood. Well, Bill made Sookie drink his blood to recover from her beating and she didn't go all vamp on us. Do they clarify that process in the books? 'Cause it's a little confusing as presented in the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I listen to a lot of audio books and have learned that I am always at the mercy of the talent of the reader. Unfortunately, most of the actors and actresses who do read audio books have a level of talent ranging from modest to none. Nevertheless, A good book read by a talented actor is a treat. For example, listen to any of the Harry Potter books, which are read by Jim Dale. Wow!

That would be the same Jim Dale that currently narrates one of my favorite shows on TV - 'Pushing Daisies'. (shameless plug for a very good show that very much needs viewers, if last week's ratings are to be believed).
post #218 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I'm still a little fuzzy on how Bill became a vampire. The Civil War vampress didn't drain him, but she made him drink her blood. Well, Bill made Sookie drink his blood to recover from her beating and she didn't go all vamp on us. Do they clarify that process in the books? 'Cause it's a little confusing as presented in the show.



That would be the same Jim Dale that currently narrates one of my favorite shows on TV - 'Pushing Daisies'. (shameless plug for a very good show that very much needs viewers, if last week's ratings are to be believed).

Sorry arch...PD could gag a maggot it's so cute .
post #219 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I'm still a little fuzzy on how Bill became a vampire. The Civil War vampress didn't drain him, but she made him drink her blood. Well, Bill made Sookie drink his blood to recover from her beating and she didn't go all vamp on us. Do they clarify that process in the books? 'Cause it's a little confusing as presented in the show.

You may be right, although the girl vampire told Bill that he could never see his family again when they were standing outside his house. From this I inferred that she had made him a vampire

Quote:
would be the same Jim Dale that currently narrates one of my favorite shows on TV - 'Pushing Daisies'. (shameless plug for a very good show that very much needs viewers, if last week's ratings are to be believed).

One and the same. Dale is also a big time Broadway musical theater guy. He won a Tony in 1980 for his performance in the title role in Barnum. My wife and I saw him in that show and she liked it more than any other we ever saw. That was a great show, the then little known Glenn Close played the wife and a bunch of honest to goodness circus performers were in the cast.
post #220 of 3651
She said that if he didn't drink, he would die. So she had drained him.
post #221 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

The bottom line remains the same, though. It's a show about "others" and how they fit into society and the discrimination, fueled by intolerance/hate/ignorance, faced when trying to become "mainstream."

At any rate, at whatever level one wants to view this show, whether it be simply as a campy vampire story or something with deeper social meaning...

The problem with this whole premise is that - despite the show title and show marketing - it is not a vampire story. It is the Sookie Stackhouse story.

Since vampires are "in", then HBO and the show producers have increased the vampire references.

Also, Alan Ball characterizes his show as "popcorn for smart people", which makes it clear that people who did not find comedy in the first two episodes were taking things too seriously...
post #222 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggo View Post

She said that if he didn't drink, he would die. So she had drained him.

So, are we to infer that simply drinking vampire blood (as Sookie and Jason have done, as well as others looking to get the "V" high), won't make you a vampire, but if all your blood is removed and replaced with vamp blood, it will? How would a Vampire have enough blood in its body for two people? (I realize I'm probably overthinking it; but I am curious as the "rules" of this fantasy world.)
post #223 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

So, are we to infer that simply drinking vampire blood (as Sookie and Jason have done, as well as others looking to get the "V" high), won't make you a vampire, but if all your blood is removed and replaced with vamp blood, it will? How would a Vampire have enough blood in its body for two people? (I realize I'm probably overthinking it; but I am curious as the "rules" of this fantasy world.)

In typical Vampire lore, doesn't it just take being bitten by a Vampire to make you one? The trick is to not be drained completely by the attacking Vampire? At least, that's the way it's always been portrayed in all the Vampire movies I remember seeing.
post #224 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

In typical Vampire lore, doesn't it just take being bitten by a Vampire to make you one? The trick is to not be drained completely by the attacking Vampire? At least, that's the way it's always been portrayed in all the Vampire movies I remember seeing.

I guess that must be it because we've also seen people get bitten but not transformed. I was just wondering if it was explained better in the books.
post #225 of 3651
Hey Arch, since you're thinking it's Sam, I'm curious - what is his motive? I don't see why he would need to kill the two girls unless it's something related to bias towards vampires. I wonder if it's a townsperson who has a bias towards them, and lashes out at any 'human' that crosses that threshold.
post #226 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Hey Arch, since you're thinking it's Sam, I'm curious - what is his motive? I don't see why he would need to kill the two girls unless it's something related to bias towards vampires. I wonder if it's a townsperson who has a bias towards them, and lashes out at any 'human' that crosses that threshold.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his motives could be. But there's just so much about Sam that we don't know; he's a real cypher right now. And he seems like such a nice guy that any suspicion of him would be averted; which automatically makes him a suspect. My other bet would be the sheriff's deputy. Again, someone who you wouldn't suspect, but who could get away with it by hiding/planting evidence. One way or the other, the motive is probably vengeance on anyone who either had sex with a vampire, as those two girls did, or is overly sympathetic to them, as Grannie was. Obviously, this puts Sookie in some danger, but Tara is probably off the hook.
post #227 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Having read the books it's fun to read the speculation here.

Lois Smith as Sookie's grandma was great. That's a character that I'll miss watching.

Yeah, it's hard not to interject spoilers ever now and again. I've had to delete several already.

Mr. Ball has kept it on track so far, which is pretty unusual lately.

Even reading all the books, the series is still very entertaining.

Wonder if they will will do Anita Blake next????
post #228 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

Yeah, it's hard not to interject spoilers ever now and again. I've had to delete several already.

Would it be spoilerific if we could get some clarity as to how vampires are actually "made" from someone who's read the books, relative to the questions posted above? I'm thinking that's background color and not anything related to the plotlines...
post #229 of 3651
Just a guess, but the show seems to be following the Ann Rice method of vampire making. Drain them to the point of death, then feed them...they die and transform. We didn't see that happen to Bill (close to it), but that was what I assumed happened.
post #230 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Just a guess, but the show seems to be following the Ann Rice method of vampire making. Drain them to the point of death, then feed them...they die and transform. We didn't see that happen to Bill (close to it), but that was what I assumed happened.

Good call! I had forgotten that Rice had used the same scheme. I loved the vampire books that made her famous and some of the other stuff that she wrote early wasn't bad, either. Somewhere along the line, though, I thought she lost a step and I quit reading her.
post #231 of 3651
I may be mistaken, but I don't recall Bill's creation being mentioned in any detail in the books.

Hopefully I'm not conflating the process, but I remember; 1 - intent, 2 - difficulty of success, 3 - regulation by...things not yet revealed.
post #232 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Dude View Post

The problem with this whole premise is that - despite the show title and show marketing - it is not a vampire story. It is the Sookie Stackhouse story.

Since vampires are "in", then HBO and the show producers have increased the vampire references.

Also, Alan Ball characterizes his show as "popcorn for smart people", which makes it clear that people who did not find comedy in the first two episodes were taking things too seriously...

Ummm, you do know this is based off of a series of books, right?

How could HBO increase references that were already in the book?

Art
post #233 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Good call! I had forgotten that Rice had used the same scheme. I loved the vampire books that made her famous and some of the other stuff that she wrote early wasn't bad, either. Somewhere along the line, though, I thought she lost a step and I quit reading her.

Same here. I liked the Lestat character and read the first few, as well as, a few non vamp books, but related. The stories were sometimes interesting, but I just got tired of her style...and her later stuff just wasn't as good.
post #234 of 3651
Again, I'm a little late to the party as I finally watched the Ep last night and caught up on this thread.

Most of my thoughts have already been expressed, but I've been meaning to point out for some time now that I really enjoy the show's musical intro. Most shows will prompt me to FF right through the intro, but I always linger and watch this one through. It's got such a mixture of weird southern-gothic imagery that's just captivating. (I won't deny that the ample T&A in there is captivating too. )
post #235 of 3651
^^ I did the same with The Sopranos, always listened to the intro music. I do the same with Friday Night Lights(Explosions in the Sky).
post #236 of 3651
^^^One thing HBO does well is opening credits/music. There has been some really iconic stuff over the years, and this 'True Blood' opening continues that tradition. I thought the opening to 'Six Feet Under' was about as perfect as can be done. Even after I quit watching the show (a couple of seasons), I still would play the opening if I came across it. The opening to 'Deadwood' set the time, place, and mood perfectly. And I really, really loved the opening to 'John from Cincinnati' as well. I still have an ep on the DVR just so I can listen to it from time to time. Great stuff all around.
post #237 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

^^^One thing HBO does well is opening credits/music. There has been some really iconic stuff over the years, and this 'True Blood' opening continues that tradition. I thought the opening to 'Six Feet Under' was about as perfect as can be done. Even after I quit watching the show (a couple of seasons), I still would play the opening if I came across it. The opening to 'Deadwood' set the time, place, and mood perfectly. And I really, really loved the opening to 'John from Cincinnati' as well. I still have an ep on the DVR just so I can listen to it from time to time. Great stuff all around.

Rome...nuff said.
post #238 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Same here. I liked the Lestat character and read the first few, as well as, a few non vamp books, but related. The stories were sometimes interesting, but I just got tired of her style...and her later stuff just wasn't as good.


The first two vampire books were two of my favorite books. After that, they devolved into more mainstream.

As for making a vampire Rice's way, I think all they had to do was drink vampire blood. Lestat drained Louis to the point of death in order for him to make a decision - die now or live forever - tough choice
post #239 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Rome...nuff said.

Yep, Rome is another that I always sat through and enjoyed. Set the tone perfectly for the show.
post #240 of 3651
You guys are making me nostalgic for some of the best television ever...Deadwood and Rome...hope they come out on BD one day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'True Blood' in HD on HBO