or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'True Blood' in HD on HBO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'True Blood' in HD on HBO - Page 2

post #31 of 3651
Well, it's obviously getting some mixed reviews here. But I'm in for the season.

- Tom
post #32 of 3651
I liked it. It has a nice use of surroundsound, btw.
post #33 of 3651
I liked it and I'm definitely looking forward to more Sookie Stackhouse. I finally have something to watch on Sunday nights again.
post #34 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

At this rate, I expect HBO to offer edgier programming in the future

I'm still disappointed they killed Preacher but this made it to air. Preacher was something different and edgy. This seems to be just more of the same vampire stuff we've seen before.
post #35 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by grydlok View Post

I watch the entire episode. My opinion doesn't change. The black chick had a southern accent that would make a Cajun cringe, but her gay brother didn't???

I'll give you that, along with a few other little annoyances I noticed in the show.

I didn't say it was great, just that it was not that bad. As rebkell stated I'm looking forward to more Sookie Stackhouse.
post #36 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'd have probably been more interested if it was just about a telepathic waitress. You don't see that as often.

Most recently in 'Heroes', season 1, character "Charlie". Murdered by a super-powered villain in a particularly gruesome manner. Let's hope Sookie survives longer.
post #37 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Most recently in 'Heroes', season 1, character "Charlie". Murdered by a super-powered villain in a particularly gruesome manner. Let's hope Sookie survives longer.

Yeah I liked her but she wasn't telepathic, she had the instant memory ability.

I can't believe you forgot that was Matt Parkman's ability.
post #38 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yeah I liked her but she wasn't telepathic, she had the instant memory ability.

I can't believe you forgot that was Matt Parkman's ability.

Right you are. There are so many super-powered heroes and evildoers on TV I tend to get them muddled up sometimes.
post #39 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Most recently in 'Heroes', season 1, character "Charlie". Murdered by a super-powered villain in a particularly gruesome manner. Let's hope Sookie survives longer.

Boy, you'll look for any excuse to turn the conversation in the direction of redheads, won't you? Yeah, I was real disappointed when they killed off Charlie, with her hot girl-next door look. And then she lost a limb on Pushing Daisies IIRC. What a hard luck story. If there were Heroes trading cards, I'd swap 3 Claires for 1 Charlie like a shot.

I think Jayma Mays is overdue for a Maxim Moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I can't believe you forgot that was Matt Parkman's ability.

Don't forget the ability to crash land jumbo jets on trees.

__________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #40 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

If there were Heroes trading cards, I'd swap 3 Claires for 1 Charlie like a shot.

+1

I liked True Blood and will stick with it.
post #41 of 3651
Wow - I must be in the minority. I thought the show was fantastic. Fastest 60 minutes of TV i've seen in quite a while.

I'm definitely hooked.
post #42 of 3651
Good start. I am definitely gonna continue watching. It definitely held my interest.
post #43 of 3651
They recast the bartender/best friend Tara since the version I saw. The series should pick up speed as some of the 'secrets' are revealed.

Old: Brook Kerr - smoking hot (as the kids say)
New: Rutina Wesley - playing her with less sass
post #44 of 3651
Hmm - I suppose if Mr Ball tosses enough T&A at us, we'll buy into quite a few no nos. Southern Western Bayou accents (BTW, you only get one, so make up your mind) Women that are way too hot for a bar out in the middle of nowhere. Bleeders?

Vampires are kinda like Xmen. Out in the open, but no quite mainstream. I get it, they're a race now. All misunderstood - it's not their fault? Fill the screen with undue prejudice.

Not that I'm opposed to seeing every square inch of Anna Paquin, but jeez can a Kiwi do drawl?

HBO - Dexter sliced your market share and dumped it into the bay 2 years ago - get over it, and keep trying
post #45 of 3651
IMO HBO should have run the first two episodes back to back.
post #46 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Boy, you'll look for any excuse to turn the conversation in the direction of redheads, won't you? Yeah, I was real disappointed when they killed off Charlie, with her hot girl-next door look. And then she lost a limb on Pushing Daisies IIRC. What a hard luck story. If there were Heroes trading cards, I'd swap 3 Claires for 1 Charlie like a shot.

I think Jayma Mays is overdue for a Maxim Moment.


Don't forget the ability to crash land jumbo jets on trees.

__________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

lol how many tv shows did you mention in that post?
post #47 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

IMO HBO should have run the first two episodes back to back.

Agree - Ep2 adds a little history for the 2 mains. It also piles on with the apparent orgy going on in the main cast.

Californication meets Queen Of The Damned Cajun Style.
I think the Faux news/Bill Mayer crap is a little much.
We'll see if the Pirate's Stew script works or not.
post #48 of 3651
really good show surprised no more people have commented on the show...much better than generation kill
post #49 of 3651
Thumbs down. The bar is now definitely lower than it ever was for HBO.

What did HBO do different in the glory days, who is responsible for original series not being as great as they used to be?
post #50 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 View Post

What did HBO do different in the glory days, who is responsible for original series not being as great as they used to be?

In a word, they got cheap. This, from a company that generated a billion dollars in profit a couple of years ago. What they're doing with all that cash since they're not re-investing much of it in programming is anyone's guess. I know what mine is.
post #51 of 3651
It enjoyed the first episode, I'll continue to watch it.
post #52 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

lol how many tv shows did you mention in that post?

Not sure. That was never my intention, but somehow during my very slow typing, stream of conciousness jumped in and ran with the ball.

And I refuse to take responsibility for the actions of the left hemisphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

In a word, they got cheap. This, from a company that generated a billion dollars in profit a couple of years ago. What they're doing with all that cash since they're not re-investing much of it in programming is anyone's guess. I know what mine is.

Copping Meth from Walter White?

Hey, I was a very long-time HBO fan (about 15 - 20 years), but I switched over to SHO a year or two ago, and have never looked back.

____________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #53 of 3651
i'll keep watching.
post #54 of 3651
Generally speaking I don't like the vampire genre, and I wasn't excited about this at all.

It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I will continue watching.
post #55 of 3651
I loved it, but then again I'm a sucker for anything vampire related.
post #56 of 3651
I liked it but I can see why some people would be offended by the accents. They were all over the place. Looking forward to Episode 2.
post #57 of 3651
I liked it. The most important factors in any TV series are concept, casting, and writing, it seems to me. The vampire concept isn't new but Ball's spin that they are now "out of the casket," as it were, because of the availability of ersatz blood is inspired. As to casting, Paquin is a tremendously appealing young actress, who even manages a plausible southern accent. And what show wouldn't be made better by the presence of William Sanderson and Chris Bauer? This week's episode's writers managed to walk a knife edge between comedy and drama, which I liked a lot. I am looking forward to more.
post #58 of 3651
It's a show I'd watch if nothing else was on, I guess that's not saying much. All they did was tweak the standard vamp storyline a bit and that's supposed to draw us in? Sorry, no --at least for me and a number of others here. I'm on the fence about dumping HBO, this show isn't in the plus column, sorry.
post #59 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I'll give you that, along with a few other little annoyances I noticed in the show.

I didn't say it was great, just that it was not that bad. As rebkell stated I'm looking forward to more Sookie Stackhouse.

I'm recording the series for my gf. I think she may like it. I'll let her judge.
post #60 of 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I liked it. The most important factors in any TV series are concept, casting, and writing, it seems to me. The vampire concept isn't new but Ball's spin that they are now "out of the casket," as it were, because of the availability of ersatz blood is inspired.

I wouldn't say this was inspired. It's just Alien Nation for the gay generation. Throw in little substitute blood from various other vampire shows and movies and that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't pitch it like that. "It's like Alien Nation, except with vampires!"

One thing I think is pretty interesting and slightly flawed in the show is the concept of Tru Blood. Real variants are actually better. They don't need refrigeration, have very long shelf life and can be used to match any blood type. They don't need different products like they sell in the show.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'True Blood' in HD on HBO