or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 2854
Picked up a 354 this weekend at BB to give it a try. Love it except for the fact it doesn't like to play nice with the PS3.

Thought I would add that the television announcer voices drop in NCAA 09. Very similar in style to MGS4 and GTA4. Everything plays fine except the voices are missing. Switching surround mode and then back to auto fixes it until next time it happens.

I'm new here (1st post) and don't know too much. The sound that seems to drop is normally scripted voice/dialouge, independent of the rest of the normal game sounds, and I would assume is supposed to come through the center channel. Anyone know of a way to figure out if it is the center being dropped or sent somewhere it's not supposed to go?

Will probably be returning it next weekend and going back to my old sony reciever until this issue has been figured out.
post #32 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapDoctor View Post

Picked up a 354 this weekend at BB to give it a try. Love it except for the fact it doesn't like to play nice with the PS3.

Thought I would add that the television announcer voices drop in NCAA 09. Very similar in style to MGS4 and GTA4. Everything plays fine except the voices are missing. Switching surround mode and then back to auto fixes it until next time it happens.

I'm new here (1st post) and don't know too much. The sound that seems to drop is normally scripted voice/dialouge, independent of the rest of the normal game sounds, and I would assume is supposed to come through the center channel. Anyone know of a way to figure out if it is the center being dropped or sent somewhere it's not supposed to go?

Will probably be returning it next weekend and going back to my old sony reciever until this issue has been figured out.

I really hope HK addresses the issue ASAP, like in the next couple of weeks or so. I mentionned earlier that I ended up buying a Pioneer 1018 to test and compare. Well, it's growing on me. The sound is really close to the HK after a little bit of tweaking and figuring out the system. It's even better, less harsh for some songs, like Dani California from the Chili Peppers. But most importantly, it WORKS! I have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI audio, and I can hear everything, including the XMB clicks. The bluray movies play great with the HD audio codecs (so far). Oh, and it's dead silent, you can stick your ear against it, no fan noise whatsoever. But I'd say the biggest inconvenient is how convoluted the setup is, and how miserable the layout of the remote is (which is sort of a non issue thanks to my Harmony remote, but still...it's more complicated than a graphical calculator!).

Anyway, I'm giving HK 30 days or so (before the return period expires) to either come up with or at least announce firmware fix. If they don't, I'm returning the HK and keeping the Pio. I do like pretty much everything better in the HK, except for the fact that it just doesn't work with the PS3.

It's like buying a BMW that would have just a little problem: the hood pops up every now and then, while you're driving, and the only workaround is to turn off the AC and leave it off.
post #33 of 2854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by piki-iki View Post

I really hope HK addresses the issue ASAP, like in the next couple of weeks or so. I mentionned earlier that I ended up buying a Pioneer 1018 to test and compare. Well, it's growing on me. The sound is really close to the HK after a little bit of tweaking and figuring out the system. It's even better, less harsh for some songs, like Dani California from the Chili Peppers. But most importantly, it WORKS! I have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI audio, and I can hear everything, including the XMB clicks. The bluray movies play great with the HD audio codecs (so far). But I'd say the biggest inconvenient is how convoluted the setup is, and how miserable the layout of the remote is (which is sort of a non issue thanks to my Harmony remote, but still...it's more complicated than a graphical calculator!).

Anyway, I'm giving HK 30 days or so (before the return period expires) to either come up with or at least announce firmware fix. If they don't, I'm returning the HK and keeping the Pio. I do like pretty much everything better in the HK, except for the fact that it just doesn't work with the PS3.

It's like buying a BMW that would have just a little problem: the hood pops up every now and then, while you're driving, and the only workaround is to turn off the AC and leave it off.

First off...good analogy. I might start using that now

I completely agree though. I'm out of the building until Wednesday, but I'm going to dig up our H/K rep's contact info and try to dig some information out of him regarding the firmware update. I can always use the old "I have customers screaming in my ear, threatening to return your products" line. Works like a charm with every manufacturer
post #34 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post

First off...good analogy. I might start using that now

I completely agree though. I'm out of the building until Wednesday, but I'm going to dig up our H/K rep's contact info and try to dig some information out of him regarding the firmware update. I can always use the old "I have customers screaming in my ear, threatening to return your products" line. Works like a charm with every manufacturer

Oh yes! Please do!
post #35 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalheadisme View Post

RGB: Full has a benefit for PS3 games- the setting shouldn't really make a difference for blu-ray movies, but it can also be beneficial in calibration.

This is something I have done extensive homework on and the PS3 must be set to automatic. This is because all games are output in RGB but BR is output in YbCR or whatever its called. Don't ask me why but that is what PS3 does. With that said BTB/WTW very much effects color saturation on BR movies because those settings effect YbCr signals only. This can be confirmed on the "official" PS3 thread.
post #36 of 2854
I just picked up a 354 last night at one of the local BBs as well.

I was able to get all my sources hooked up and everything going through the TV last night in about an hour, but I ran out of speaker wire so I am having to wait for a purchase from monoprice to come in and then I'll have my speakers hooked up in 5.1.

Anyways, I found that the initial setup to be quite easy, I was readily able to get everything functioning using the remote and the very nice OSD, including renaming and assigning all of my inputs. Once I get the speaker wire in, I'll get to work on that.

As for the PS3, I can also confirm that I do not hear the XMB clicks when there is no other audio. As far as BR performance, I have not yet had a chance to test out their performance.
post #37 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by piki-iki View Post

I really hope HK addresses the issue ASAP, like in the next couple of weeks or so. I mentionned earlier that I ended up buying a Pioneer 1018 to test and compare. Well, it's growing on me. The sound is really close to the HK after a little bit of tweaking and figuring out the system. It's even better, less harsh for some songs, like Dani California from the Chili Peppers. But most importantly, it WORKS! I have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI audio, and I can hear everything, including the XMB clicks. The bluray movies play great with the HD audio codecs (so far). Oh, and it's dead silent, you can stick your ear against it, no fan noise whatsoever. But I'd say the biggest inconvenient is how convoluted the setup is, and how miserable the layout of the remote is (which is sort of a non issue thanks to my Harmony remote, but still...it's more complicated than a graphical calculator!).

Anyway, I'm giving HK 30 days or so (before the return period expires) to either come up with or at least announce firmware fix. If they don't, I'm returning the HK and keeping the Pio. I do like pretty much everything better in the HK, except for the fact that it just doesn't work with the PS3.

It's like buying a BMW that would have just a little problem: the hood pops up every now and then, while you're driving, and the only workaround is to turn off the AC and leave it off.

I found the SQ difference night & day, in favor of the 254 by a long shot.

You hear no fan because there is no fan in the 1018.
post #38 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkbucket007 View Post

I found the SQ difference night & day, in favor of the 254 by a long shot.

You hear no fan because there is no fan in the 1018.

So, you jumped ship. I did too. But I am giving myself 30 days to see which one I'm gonna keep. I do like the sound of the HK better, and if I knew FOR SURE that HK would completely fix the PS3 issue, I wouldn't even consider the Pioneer. But, is HK REALLY gonna fix the PS3 issue, or just tell us that we're SOL. I wouldn't mind waiting, but you said it yourself, if HK doesn't fix their bugs, the Pioneer will find its way back into your home!

One thing I noticed in favor of the Pioneer too is that is doesn't run nearly as hot as the HK, even without the fan.
post #39 of 2854
I'm still waiting on my 354 from SoundPros, but was wondering where the issue in MGS4 on the ps3 can be replicated?

If the issue is similar to what my dad had going on, I fixed that by going into manual audio setup and only checking the LPCM 5.1 at the lowest bitrate- so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried that.
post #40 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalheadisme View Post

I'm still waiting on my 354 from SoundPros, but was wondering where the issue in MGS4 on the ps3 can be replicated?

If the issue is similar to what my dad had going on, I fixed that by going into manual audio setup and only checking the LPCM 5.1 at the lowest bitrate- so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried that.

I tried that, but it didn't help in GTA IV. I tried all sound modes in the manual setup, to no avail.

BTW, I confirm that switching to bitstream while connected with HDMI audio does NOT fix the GTA IV missing dialogs. Only optical out works.
post #41 of 2854
I am on hold again with Harmon Kardon...but...as I'm holding I am thinking moving this discussion out of the main forum was a mistake.

We know this thread is here and will look for it, but for those who have just purchased doesn't it make more sense for all information to be in the "Official owners thread". For future reference if someone buys one (and say there is a firmware fix) wouldn't those new owners goto the official owners thread and search.

I'm not a heavy poster on this site so really just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. I know the number of postings irritated the people in the group not having the issues...but it seems to be a bit of sweeping under the rug to me.

Hope to have something from HK on this call...the hold music is awful!

Shawn
post #42 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhus View Post

I am on hold again with Harmon Kardon...but...as I'm holding I am thinking moving this discussion out of the main forum was a mistake.

We know this thread is here and will look for it, but for those who have just purchased doesn't it make more sense for all information to be in the "Official owners thread". For future reference if someone buys one (and say there is a firmware fix) wouldn't those new owners goto the official owners thread and search.

I'm not a heavy poster on this site so really just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. I know the number of postings irritated the people in the group not having the issues...but it seems to be a bit of sweeping under the rug to me.

Hope to have something from HK on this call...the hold music is awful!

Shawn

Shawn, please let us know what they tell you. I called HK and the person I had on the line said (or pretended) that they had never heard of a problem with the PS3 that was not directly related to a user's misconfiguration of the PS3...
post #43 of 2854
Does anyone out there want to comment on upgrading from a 347 to the new 354?? Is it worth it?? I am thinking of upgrading, but the rash of all these problems on these boards really has me concerned. Yes, I do own a PS3 and I love it. So not using the PS3 is not an option, even though it sounds like this is not really a PS3 issue as much as a receiver - pcm issue. My 347 is certainly not bug free, but I don't have any of these audio synch or video problems I am hearing about with the new 354. For those of you that upgraded, let me know, is it worth it?!?!? And if it is worth it to know, the upgrade will not cost me anything more in the end.
post #44 of 2854
I did get a call back from HK today (while I was on hold with their Tech Support irritated because they hadn't called me back ).

I talked to Andrew at HK yesterday (Monday) and although he did initially say that there were no documented issues on this he did take the initiative to follow up with the engineers.

So I think this was a good start...

His call back to me today was that they are still investigating and he will call me back tomorrow. So in short still no answer but I am encourged that someone appears to be taking ownership on this at HK.

I really don't want to take this receiver back!!!

Shawn
post #45 of 2854
Copied from my post in the Anticipation thread. It is a problem with the sub being extremely loud using LPCM from the PS3.

Quote:


Basic setup info

I am using a 5.1 setup, not 7.1.

Playstation 3 connected to AVR254 through HDMI @ 1080p

HTPC connected to AVR254 through HDMI @ 1080p

HD cable box connected to AVR254 through HDMI @ 1080i


I had a very weird audio problem when I was testing Blu-Ray discs with my Playstation 3 last night. I was testing 5th Element BR with both the TrueHD5.1 and LPCM5.1 tracks and both did not sound 'right'. Sounded like the SUB was super loud at parts, especially when the Mangalores are grunting. Also, the special effects sounded muted. Casino Royale Blu-Ray sounded pretty much the same with the LPCM track. I checked and adjusted the following settings but did not fix the issue.



-Double-checked my Playstation 3 audio output setting was set to Linear PCM (decoding is done by PS3 as it cannot bitstream HD audio thru HDMI)

-Changed x-over settings (80hz for front, 100hz for center/surrounds, sub is set to 10”)

-Checked that all audio processing in the OSD menu was 'off'

-Lowered the level adjust for the sub to -10db than any other channels, still sounded louder than other channels

-Ran the test tones to make sure I didn't hookup my speakers wrong



There is another forum member at AVSForum that is experiencing the similar problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1411

Quote:


HOOPY and Jehanzeb, can you do me a favor and listen to a specific part in the Fifth Element Remastered BR? Try both DD5.1 and LPCM5.1. Start on the chapter when the diva starts singing. Notice the parts when the Mangalores speak (in bold below) and also when Leeloo fights the Mangalores. Please report back what you hear.

For me, when the Mangalores are speaking the speech is faintly audible but the grunting is very loud. The sound effects during the fight scene (punches, etc) sound muted.

01:27:49,600 --> 01:27:50,900
Show time.

01:29:43,200 --> 01:29:46,800
I have a ship in trouble
requesting permission to dock.

01:29:47,000 --> 01:29:49,800
Put him in the docking garage.
Inform security.

01:29:50,300 --> 01:29:53,200
- Permission granted for one hour.
- More than I need.

01:30:08,200 --> 01:30:10,400
Champagne for the Diva.

01:30:10,700 --> 01:30:12,200
I'll take it.

01:30:46,400 --> 01:30:48,400
I found it.

01:31:23,300 --> 01:31:24,300
Get her!

01:32:58,400 --> 01:32:59,900
It was an ambush.

01:33:03,500 --> 01:33:05,400
If it's war they want...

01:33:05,500 --> 01:33:07,700
it's war they'll get!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14077994
post #46 of 2854
It's complicated as far as the different threads are concerned. For an example, on the Denon 3808 there's 3 main threads, all equally very active. There's a main owner's thread, a firmware tracking thread, and a bugs, undesired features, enhancements desired thread. Granted, the HK models may not need any firmware thread, so maybe if this thread ends up as a catch all for most of the problems, two threads would suffice. I've already included a link from the owners thread to this to help point readers here. Actually, there's another HK thread called the anticipation thread and I'm sure that will continue to grow. Despite member flabioh's typo on Harman spelling and non-US model numbers in the title, that thread been the first exposure to these two models for many of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhus View Post

I am on hold again with Harmon Kardon...but...as I'm holding I am thinking moving this discussion out of the main forum was a mistake.

We know this thread is here and will look for it, but for those who have just purchased doesn't it make more sense for all information to be in the "Official owners thread". For future reference if someone buys one (and say there is a firmware fix) wouldn't those new owners goto the official owners thread and search.

I'm not a heavy poster on this site so really just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. I know the number of postings irritated the people in the group not having the issues...but it seems to be a bit of sweeping under the rug to me.

Hope to have something from HK on this call...the hold music is awful!

Shawn
post #47 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhus View Post

I did get a call back from HK today (while I was on hold with their Tech Support irritated because they hadn't called me back ).

I talked to Andrew at HK yesterday (Monday) and although he did initially say that there were no documented issues on this he did take the initiative to follow up with the engineers.

So I think this was a good start...

His call back to me today was that they are still investigating and he will call me back tomorrow. So in short still no answer but I am encourged that someone appears to be taking ownership on this at HK.

I really don't want to take this receiver back!!!

Shawn

There have been like 20 guys that have called HK now with issues re: the ps3 and every time they are told there are no open issues re: the ps3 by the HK tech. HK is giving us the runaround. I have personally read many posts on those other 254 threads where people called them to tell them about these issues and they play the dummy about it. They do know and they ARE aware. Let them know that you know they are lying to you when they call back. This is beginning to be hilarious with that tired old line. Either they have the worst customer support/ incident documentation system in the world or they are all liars.
post #48 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escrotumus View Post

There have been like 20 guys that have called HK now with issues re: the ps3 and every time they are told there are no open issues re: the ps3 by the HK tech. HK is giving us the runaround. I have personally read many posts on those other 254 threads where people called them to tell them about these issues and they play the dummy about it. They do know and they ARE aware. Let them know that you know they are lying to you when they call back. This is beginning to be hilarious with that tired old line. Either they have the worst customer support/ incident documentation system in the world or they are all liars.

I agree. This is ridiculous. I too was told that "nah, never heard of an issue with the PS3, besides user errors, when they don't know how to connect the console". Riiiiight. I just sent yet another email to HK's tech support, to try and get an update on the resolution status...It just gets my goat when people think that I'm gonna be dumb enough to buy their bulls**t. Hey, I do some tech support myself, and I know exactly how it works!
post #49 of 2854
Why not just come out and say "We know about the problem and our engineers are working as fast as they can to fix it. We will have a firmware update ASAP to address your problem."

The run around sounds more like they cannot fix it and don't want anyone to know until they cannot return their units. I would think that is not the case but why lie?

I was looking hard at the 254 before I bought my new unit (Onkyo). I didn't because of a good deal, but I would have went another route by now. I guess loyalties still run deep in the AVR world. I stuck with Onkyo because I really like the sound. It looks like many of you are going to stick it out with H/K because of loyalty. I just hope you get your fix soon.
post #50 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Why not just come out and say "We know about the problem and our engineers are working as fast as they can to fix it. We will have a firmware update ASAP to address your problem."

The run around sounds more like they cannot fix it and don't want anyone to know until they cannot return their units. I would think that is not the case but why lie?

I was looking hard at the 254 before I bought my new unit (Onkyo). I didn't because of a good deal, but I would have went another route by now. I guess loyalties still run deep in the AVR world. I stuck with Onkyo because I really like the sound. It looks like many of you are going to stick it out with H/K because of loyalty. I just hope you get your fix soon.

I agree totally. Why the game? Why not just say you are working on it? Unless you don't intend on fixing it.

It's gonna be a hard call for me in about 25 days. I really enjoy the HK sound (my first HK), but these issues (plus the thing gets pretty hot) have me thinking I'm gonna regret it a year or 2 down the road. I hope to be upgrading other HT parts by then, not buying a new reciever.

As far as loyalty goes, I would agree. It's easy to want a new model if you were happy with an old one you had. I love my old trusty Yamaha, but I want a warmer sound, so that kinda leaves me out in the cold (hence the "HK experiment").

realjeep
post #51 of 2854
As a former AVR 247 owner, I have been watching this thread, as well as the other threads relating to the 254/354. Just curious to see if HK would have better luck with the new models than the 247. Looks like the new one has some problems.

I am sure many of those who have purchased the new models are aware of the problems that were experienced with the 247. One of those problems was a "handshake" issue with HDMI. In my case, the center channel dialogue would drop-out with various bluray DVD's. As far as I know, that issue was never fully resolved. I believe the 247 was first released around April of last year. It was near the end of the year before a firmware update was released, and then around February 08 before a second firmware update was available. Many users had difficulty installing the updates due to problems with USB/serial cable compatibility problems.

I am posting this information for those that are hopeful that HK well come up with a quick firmware update to resolve the issue with the PS3. Given that it took the better part of a year for HK to release an update for the 247, any quick fix for the AVR 254 seems unlikely.

On the plus side, I found HK tech support to be fairly responsive with a genuine attitude of helpfulness. (Andrew was very good.) Unfortunately, it did not appear that the techs always were provided all the information they needed to do their job.

Further, what appears to be happening with the 254 is another example of HK not fully testing a new product and getting the bugs out before the product is released for sale.
post #52 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos View Post

As a former AVR 247 owner, I have been watching this thread, as well as the other threads relating to the 254/354. Just curious to see if HK would have better luck with the new models than the 247. Looks like the new one has some problems.

I am sure many of those who have purchased the new models are aware of the problems that were experienced with the 247. One of those problems was a "handshake" issue with HDMI. In my case, the center channel dialogue would drop-out with various bluray DVD's. As far as I know, that issue was never fully resolved. I believe the 247 was first released around April of last year. It was near the end of the year before a firmware update was released, and then around February 08 before a second firmware update was available. Many users had difficulty installing the updates due to problems with USB/serial cable compatibility problems.

I am posting this information for those that are hopeful that HK well come up with a quick firmware update to resolve the issue with the PS3. Given that it took the better part of a year for HK to release an update for the 247, any quick fix for the AVR 254 seems unlikely.

On the plus side, I found HK tech support to be fairly responsive with a genuine attitude of helpfulness. (Andrew was very good.) Unfortunately, it did not appear that the techs always were provided all the information they needed to do their job.

Further, what appears to be happening with the 254 is another example of HK not fully testing a new product and getting the bugs out before the product is released for sale.

Yikes! If history is to repeat itself, then I guess my hope of getting a firmware upgrade within the next 30 days is unrealistic.

With the 247, was there also an overwhelming majority of users experiencing clear and easy-to-reproduce problems? Did they play the same little game of pretending that nothing was wrong with their unit as well? I'm sure I could wade through the 247 owners thread to find my answer, but I am a little worried at the idea of reading hundreds of pages of complaints about HK...
post #53 of 2854
Yes, an overwhelming number of users had the same problems. Check the first post in the 247/347 thread. When I entered the fray in late 2007, I believe the problems had been identified. My experience with HK support was generally positive. HK was aware of the issues. Unfortunately, HK did not have the will, or the ability, to solve all the issues. For example, some support techs complained that the 247 did not work right because the technology was "too new." They shipped me two replacement units, first a refurb and then a new one. None of the 3 units I had would work correctly. HK refunded my money and I finally gave-up. I now own a Onkyo 605. The 605 may not have as warm a sound, or as sharp a look, as the 247 or 254, but it works as designed. Zero aggravation and less expensive. Works for me.
post #54 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos View Post

I am posting this information for those that are hopeful that HK well come up with a quick firmware update to resolve the issue with the PS3. Given that it took the better part of a year for HK to release an update for the 247, any quick fix for the AVR 254 seems unlikely.

I had followed the 247/347 and now the 254 and this was what I was afraid of. I hope it won't take them that long again to rectify this. In any case, to those that are affect I feel for you and I sincerely hope it gets resolved soon. As for me, I love my 335 and I'm sad I had to draw the line on Harman, but at this time I went with the Denon 1909.
post #55 of 2854
I currently have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI to my avr-254. I have the PS3 to output bitstream through hdmi for bluray and PS3 titles, the selection of audio codecs were selected manually. The only ones i chose was DD 5.1 and the one under that, and left the LPCM codecs that are already selected by the ps3 that you cannot uncheck. Everything else is not checked. So far i have played MGS4 for 4 hours straight and there hasn't ben any cutout at all. The reciever always indicates that it is in the 5.1 state, and "Dolby Digital" has not left the display. I have also tried GT4 (not GTA4) and "Dolby Digital" continues to be displayed. (sorry these are the only two games i have) Also, Stargate Continuum seems to be playing fine.(my only bluray movie) I just got both these units a few days ago, well i've had them for about a week. Anyway, the only that still doesn't stay consistent is the clicking during the PS3's menu, however, that really doesn't bother me and have sinced just turned it off. sigh.....I want to try some regular dvd's and older games but, im in the process of downloading a GT4 video and its taking forever and there's no cancel option and i'm tired.... anyhoo, i will update on that tomorrow... oh yeah, MP3s and movies playback fine, no dropouts.
post #56 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I had followed the 247/347 and now the 254 and this was what I was afraid of. I hope it won't take them that long again to rectify this. In any case, to those that are affect I feel for you and I sincerely hope it gets resolved soon. As for me, I love my 335 and I'm sad I had to draw the line on Harman, but at this time I went with the Denon 1909.


Yeah, funny thing is, i had the 347 before i got my 254, and i went through the process of updating it after reading the issues on the forum, and this was recently like 3 weeks ago i did this update. Now sad to say, i'm one of those members who's eagerly waiting for the update on this new reciever....hope it doesn't take that long...
post #57 of 2854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g~fella View Post

I currently have my PS3 hooked up through HDMI to my avr-254. I have the PS3 to output bitstream through hdmi for bluray and PS3 titles, the selection of audio codecs were selected manually. The only ones i chose was DD 5.1 and the one under that, and left the LPCM codecs that are already selected by the ps3 that you cannot uncheck. Everything else is not checked. So far i have played MGS4 for 4 hours straight and there hasn't ben any cutout at all. The reciever always indicates that it is in the 5.1 state, and "Dolby Digital" has not left the display. I have also tried GT4 (not GTA4) and "Dolby Digital" continues to be displayed. (sorry these are the only two games i have) Also, Stargate Continuum seems to be playing fine.(my only bluray movie) I just got both these units a few days ago, well i've had them for about a week. Anyway, the only that still doesn't stay consistent is the clicking during the PS3's menu, however, that really doesn't bother me and have sinced just turned it off. sigh.....I want to try some regular dvd's and older games but, im in the process of downloading a GT4 video and its taking forever and there's no cancel option and i'm tired.... anyhoo, i will update on that tomorrow... oh yeah, MP3s and movies playback fine, no dropouts.

Thats good to hear, but the problem was never with the PS3 bitstreaming. The problem creeps up when you allow the PS3 to decode the audio itself and transmit the signal as PCM (which you need to do with Blu Ray anyway, as the PS3 can't bitstream lossless audio).

The AVR 254/354 loses the PCM lock anytime there is no sound coming through the PCM signal for more than a second or two (eg-a pause menu in a game, or idling on the XMB). Then, when the PCM signal is live again, it takes the AVR a second or two to re-lock the PCM signal and play the audio. This results in the clicking of the XMB being inaudible, and the first few seconds after pausing the game inaudible.

See if switching your PS3 to all PCM causes problems. If it does, welcome to the club. If it doesn't, then I want to hear what other settings you have active. I'm trying to rule out any variables before I talk to the Harman/Kardon rep tomorrow. Trust me guys, I plan on dropping the hammer on him. Hopefully that will light a fire under their firmware engineer's collective asses.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I'll be mentioning ALL of the problems. Not just the PCM/PS3 issue. That includes the rattling fans, The Bridge II issues, center channel audio problems.....basically everything in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14390578

Hope that clears up any confusion
post #58 of 2854
New PS3 firmware (2.42) out today, does that fix anything? Guess not...
post #59 of 2854
"Thats good to hear, but the problem was never with the PS3 bitstreaming. The problem creeps up when you allow the PS3 to decode the audio itself and transmit the signal as PCM (which you need to do with Blu Ray anyway, as the PS3 can't bitstream lossless audio)."

Sorry Jay, question then. Is that all lossless audio codecs? I just bought the new Stargate movie on Bluray(Stargate Continuum); this movie has DTS HD Master Audio, During playback, the reciever will show DTS....wait...How do you know if the reciever is playing in DTS or DTS HD, would it show up? Or is this even possible with the PS3. maaan forgive me, its early morning and i'm rushing to type this before rolling out to work. I will look for the answer to this newbie question. I know there is some post that explains all this. What i did notice is that with bitstream, the ps3 info says DTS multi-channel and the reciever displays DTS but switching to LPCM and choosing those audio codecs the PS3 info now says DTS-HD MA and the reciever displays Multi-Ch PCM. It's morning time and i cant reeally crank it up to hear the diff. Anyway gotta go. my apologies for any added confusion to this thread.
post #60 of 2854
That goes for both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD at least. When sending PCM, your receiver will never display the source codec, it will only show PCM. This is correct, as the PS3 already decoded the stream and is sending uncompressed PCM.

You will get sound, the problem is dropouts. Read the first post for description of the problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread