or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread

post #1 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Hi All,

Since I will be taking delivery of a Denon AVR 2309CI unit this Friday, I thought that I would get this thread started. This post is a placeholder, so that I can post my initial thoughts and, later, a review of the unit, as well as answer any questions.

My original intent was to purchase an 889 model, as I did not feel that I needed the extra features that the 2309 model offered. However, when I found the 2309 on Amazon in stock, with overnight shipping a mere $4, I had to pull the trigger on it.

This unit will be replacing a Denon AVR 2805. I like my 2805 a lot, but with it not having any HDMI connections, it became increasingly frustrating to use. My wife will love the volume leveling features, as she is always complaining about the volume of commercials vs the shows themselves.

I will be hooking up 2 DirecTV HR-20s, an Oppo 981 DVD player, a PS3, an Xbox 360, and a Wii to the system, which will feed into my Samsung DLP 7178. My current plan is to feed the Xbox 360 & Wii thru component connections (neither has HDMI connections) and the other 4 via HDMI.

Look for my initial impressions either Friday night or Sunday (I have an all-day commitment on Saturday)...

Don
post #2 of 3184
Awesome! Look forward to your initial impressions
post #3 of 3184
Please stay up friday night, Don, OK?
post #4 of 3184
Is it official or just presumed that these have no pre-outs in the USA version?
post #5 of 3184
Almost positive its official
post #6 of 3184
Why bother with a placeholder post when you don't have a review ready to go -- so that you can be the first/owner of the official 2309 thread?

What if someone else has a review ready to go before you, they'll have to create another thread or liaise with you to get it added here.
post #7 of 3184
Denon needs to get off their asses and update their website. We need to read up on the manual before we can make a decision on all the features. Also anyone know the availability of the AVR-889... trying to save a few dollars here and there on a new purchase.
post #8 of 3184
Don, first order of business, what is the GUI like? Commodore 64 like or somewhat more "modern"?
post #9 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r View Post

Why bother with a placeholder post when you don't have a review ready to go -- so that you can be the first/owner of the official 2309 thread?

What if someone else has a review ready to go before you, they'll have to create another thread or liaise with you to get it added here.

My intention was not to step on any toes. If someone else wants to post the first review, fine. I will retire this thread...

Geez, who the hell cares about "first owner"?
post #10 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

Is it official or just presumed that these have no pre-outs in the USA version?

No pre-outs is bad news. I wonder why they included them with the UK model and not the US model.
post #11 of 3184
Is the 889 available anywhere yet?
post #12 of 3184
It appears that the 2309CI is available at www.listenup.com, and the listing includes a picture of the rear panel.
post #13 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprhooligan View Post

No pre-outs is bad news. I wonder why they included them with the UK model and not the US model.

Maybe a trade for the XM/Sirius radio part we don't get? (Why would we...) Probably trying to keep the cost equal or close.
post #14 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_look View Post

It appears that the 2309CI is available at www.listenup.com, and the listing includes a picture of the rear panel.

Here is the picture of the rear panel:
LL
post #15 of 3184
how come Denon USA is not providing pre-outs on 1909 and 2309... whereas both UK models have pre-outs. I dont have a need to use pre-outs but its something that can be used at a future time.
post #16 of 3184
if you want pre-out you will need to get a 2809
post #17 of 3184
Thread Starter 
I emailed Denon's webmaster about the missing 2309 manual from their website. He said that they were working on the problem. Hopefully, that means that we should see the online manuals soon!!
post #18 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

I emailed Denon's webmaster about the missing 2309 manual from their website. He said that they were working on the problem. Hopefully, that means that we should see the online manuals soon!!

I still don't see anything online at Denon USA site concerning 2309? But it would be nice if they publish the manual for us to read!

I think it is amazing that the AVR-2309 is shipping and Denon has nothing on their web site concerning this model.
post #19 of 3184
Do we know yet of there will be a quick "info" OSD over HDMI (volume, signal input type, etc.) for all resolutions? It sounded like this wasn't the case for the 1909.
post #20 of 3184
I'm anxious to hear more about this receiver as well.
post #21 of 3184
Has she turned up yet?
post #22 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort1951 View Post

Has she turned up yet?

Yep, the UPS man just left. I am not blown away with how Amazon
packaged the receiver. I am not going to post a lot of unboxing pictures,
especially since we have quality pictures of the front and back of the receiver already posted to this thread.

I will be back in a little bit with my initial impressions. If you have any specific questions, let me know. Since I NOW have the manual, I can look stuff up as well. By the way, I am not going to making use out of the zone 2 feature, so other than looking up stuff in the manual, I will not be much help there...

Back in an hour...

Don
post #23 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp View Post

Don, first order of business, what is the GUI like? Commodore 64 like or somewhat more "modern"?

First question answered: The 2309 has the older, "Commodore 64" graphics...
post #24 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Do we know yet of there will be a quick "info" OSD over HDMI (volume, signal input type, etc.) for all resolutions? It sounded like this wasn't the case for the 1909.

I am getting an on-screen display over HDMI right now. I cannot confirm yet if it is there for all resolutions...
post #25 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

I am getting an on-screen display over HDMI right now. I cannot confirm yet if it is there for all resolutions...

Sorry, I might be wrong here. When I was listening to the tuner, the OSD was present over HDMI. Now that I have my DirecTV receiver plugged in, I am not getting an OSD any longer. Give me some more time to read thru the manual before I comment further on this issue...
post #26 of 3184
Looks like these features are for the AVR 2809.
post #27 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearth View Post

I am getting an on-screen display over HDMI right now. I cannot confirm yet if it is there for all resolutions...

there are some confounding variables here, just to be clear:

1. the OSD is what appears when the screen blacks out and the C64 graphics pop up, like when you are adjusting surround parameters. the 2309 should have no trouble displaying the OSD over HDMI, since it has been doing this since the 2307.

2. what the other guy I believe was asking about was different, that is overlaying on-screen information, like the Volume Bar, OVER the video signal when outputting HDMI. AFAIK the 2308 could do this when the input was s-video/composite 480i transcoded to HDMI output, but it could NOT do it with component/hdmi input to HDMI output.
post #28 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

there are some confounding variables here, just to be clear:

1. the OSD is what appears when the screen blacks out and the C64 graphics pop up, like when you are adjusting surround parameters. the 2309 should have no trouble displaying the OSD over HDMI, since it has been doing this since the 2307.

2. what the other guy I believe was asking about was different, that is overlaying on-screen information, like the Volume Bar, OVER the video signal when outputting HDMI. AFAIK the 2308 could do this when the input was s-video/composite 480i transcoded to HDMI output, but it could NOT do it with component/hdmi input to HDMI output.

Thanks, batpig!

I can confirm that both of these items are the same for the 2309...
post #29 of 3184
Thread Starter 
Another initial impression:

Switching between HDMI sources, the screen goes blank for about 3 seconds (audio starts about 1.5 seconds after the button push). On my old 2805, switching between
Component sources was nearly instantaneous. I guess this is something that I will get use to over time..
post #30 of 3184
that's just an HDMI thing, the display/AVR have to resync to the new source/resolution. very common....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread