or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread - Page 50

post #1471 of 3184
I did a search and couldn't find the answer, so at the risk of angering the regulars, here is my question: Why do I have to keep turning Dynamic Volume on every time I power up the receiver? For some reason when I turn that on in the menu (light goes green), it doesn't stay that way after I turn the power off. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1472 of 3184
the AVR should remember your Dynamic EQ/Vol preferences by input. Are you by chance using a Quick Select to turn on the receiver?
post #1473 of 3184
Nope - just the regular power button on the remote, or I'll use my Comcast cable box remote. Any ideas? When I turn DV on, is there something specific I need to do when exiting the menu to make sure it saves?
post #1474 of 3184
no, it just should, as long as "Auto Suround" has been left "on" in the setup menus (that's the default). does it do this on all inputs?

perhaps a microprocessor reset will help if all else fails...
post #1475 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

Nope - just the regular power button on the remote, or I'll use my Comcast cable box remote. Any ideas? When I turn DV on, is there something specific I need to do when exiting the menu to make sure it saves?

So you're saying that you set DynVOL to ON for a particular input source (eg. PS3) and then while on that same source you power down the 2309. Then upon powering up the 2309, that SAME source (rather than a different source) comes up with DynVOL set OFF? Most likely resetting the microprocessor should resolve the problem as suggested.

If a different source comes on, and even though you are using component out to the HDTV, did you by any chance set HDMI Control to ON? Have you set DynVOL to ON for all inputs (PS3, cablebox, etc)?
post #1476 of 3184
Got my 889 over the weekend at CC's liquidation sale and I have searched the forum for a solution of what I am attempting to do and did not have any luck in the solution. I am routing my HD cable box/DVR (using HMDI) through the 889, but when it comes to things like the evening news I don't need surround sound. What I want to do is to turn off the 889 but still have the video and audio routed to the TV (pass through) so I can listen via the TV's internal speakers. But when I press the off button on the remote I loose all audio and video to the TV. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #1477 of 3184
What you looking for is the HDMI CONTROL feature of the '09 models. If you search the 1909/789 for the term "HDMI Control" you will find many posts discussing this feature.

I believe you need to make sure HDMI CONTROL is set to "on", change the Denon to the correct input for the cable box, and then power down both the TV and the receiver (the receiver should go to "Standby" with the orange light around the power button). Then, when you power up the TV, it should now be receiving the "passed through" signal from the HDMI input of the cable box.

Someone please correct me if I have it wrong, I don't own an '09 model so I can't test exactly how it works.....
post #1478 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

What you looking for is the HDMI CONTROL feature of the '09 models. If you search the 1909/789 for the term "HDMI Control" you will find many posts discussing this feature.

I believe you need to make sure HDMI CONTROL is set to "on", change the Denon to the correct input for the cable box, and then power down both the TV and the receiver (the receiver should go to "Standby" with the orange light around the power button). Then, when you power up the TV, it should now be receiving the "passed through" signal from the HDMI input of the cable box.

Someone please correct me if I have it wrong, I don't own an '09 model so I can't test exactly how it works.....

thanks, I'll try that tonight.
post #1479 of 3184
Finally got around to setting up my new 2309 over the weekend, and I was thrilled that, between my own Denon history (with a 3802) and batpig's excellent guide, I only needed to crack the 2309 manual for about 30 seconds. Initial sound was excellent on the "Kind of Blue" SACD - it's some of the best sound I've ever heard out of my speakers. I look forward to running Audyssey once I finish setting up my room, especially since I have a fairly non-standard layout.

Coming from the 3802, tho, I'm flabbergasted by the 2309's remote. Older Denon remotes weren't exactly good, but they were still far, far better than this. Just...I mean...wow.
post #1480 of 3184
I'm interested (as I'm sure many others are) about your impressions coming from an older 3800 level model to a brand-new, but two steps down, 230X/88X model.

I'm sure there are many 380X owners out there wanting to upgrade to a new model with HDMI audio and Audyssey features, but don't want to dish out over a grand for a 3808CI, and they are wondering how much audio quality they will lose (if at all) buying something like a 2309/889 model. There was much discussion of this at one point in the 2809/989 thread, and many former 3802/3803 owners seemed pretty happy with the newer 2809.

I personally went 3803 > 2307CI > 888 within a span of a few months, and I am delighted with the current 888 model. I think the 3803 probably sounded a little better for 2-channel music, with extra grunt, better DAC's, and the AL24 processing, but the 888 overall is a superior unit. But I also haven't heard Dynamic EQ, so that could tip the scales further towards the new model.
post #1481 of 3184
After about 20 failed attempts to perform the magical microprocessor reset (pressing power, input mode, speakers at the same time), I gave up on that idea.

After messing around with it more, it seems that I was wrong, as I was in fact using Quick Select. Those convenient three buttons at the top of the remote that make it so easy evidently turn off Dynamic Volume. Dynamic EQ stays on, but DV goes off. Using the regular input buttons, it stays on. Frustrating. Is there a way to change the setting for the Quick Select inputs?
post #1482 of 3184
yes, just re-memorize them when you have things set up as you want. see your manual. I think you just have to press the button for a few seconds and it will blink and let you know it's been re-memorized.

(FYI - the microprocessor reset requires you to use the hard power button, the little push button next to the big "on/standby" button, however it doesn't look like you need it anymore!)
post #1483 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

After about 20 failed attempts to perform the magical microprocessor reset (pressing power, input mode, speakers at the same time), I gave up on that idea.

After messing around with it more, it seems that I was wrong, as I was in fact using Quick Select. Those convenient three buttons at the top of the remote that make it so easy evidently turn off Dynamic Volume. Dynamic EQ stays on, but DV goes off. Using the regular input buttons, it stays on. Frustrating. Is there a way to change the setting for the Quick Select inputs?

Jeremy, glad you got it straight. So instead of our telling folks to "try a complete microprocessor reset" can we tell 'em to just "Tebo" it?!
post #1484 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

After about 20 failed attempts to perform the magical microprocessor reset (pressing power, input mode, speakers at the same time), I gave up on that idea.

In case you need to do it another time, first press the small POWER button to ensure the AVR is OFF and not in STANDBY mode. Then you want to press and hold in both the INPUT MODE and SPEAKERS buttons first, THEN press the small POWER button to turn the AVR back on. When the display starts flashing in 1 sec intervals, you can release the INPUT MODE and SPEAKERS buttons.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Jeremy, glad you got it straight. So instead of our telling folks to "try a complete microprocessor reset" can we tell 'em to just "Tebo" it?!

I'm not changing my sig ....
post #1485 of 3184
woohoo! finally pulled the trigger and got my 2309ci from 6th ave for 595 shipped...gotta love their price match guarantee. Can't wait to get it and set everything up. As a first time Denon buyer, I'm sure I'll be using Batpigs guide quite a bit.
post #1486 of 3184
I just ordered mine yesterday from them. Onward now to speakers.
post #1487 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

What you looking for is the HDMI CONTROL feature of the '09 models. If you search the 1909/789 for the term "HDMI Control" you will find many posts discussing this feature.

I believe you need to make sure HDMI CONTROL is set to "on", change the Denon to the correct input for the cable box, and then power down both the TV and the receiver (the receiver should go to "Standby" with the orange light around the power button). Then, when you power up the TV, it should now be receiving the "passed through" signal from the HDMI input of the cable box.

Someone please correct me if I have it wrong, I don't own an '09 model so I can't test exactly how it works.....

After reading your excellent posts I decided that since the cable box only outputs 5.1 there really was not a point in routing through the 889. So I just ran a TOSLink to pickup the sound when I chose, but ran the hdmi directly into my set.

Thanks again.
post #1488 of 3184
that is actually a great option that we recommend frequently. a lot of people are really hung up on having only one cable to the TV, but if you are willing to switch the TV input now and then (or better yet have a Harmony to do it for you) the solution you found is actually the best of all worlds. In addition to freeing up an HDMI input in the receiver, you eliminate the possibility of "handshake" issues with the cable box, and you can watch TV with the receiver off and not have to leave HDMI Control on (which can cause its own issues).
post #1489 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy813 View Post

After reading your excellent posts I decided that since the cable box only outputs 5.1 there really was not a point in routing through the 889. So I just ran a TOSLink to pickup the sound when I chose, but ran the hdmi directly into my set.

Thanks again.

This is the setup I use as well with no HDMI handshake issues or channel delay changes at all with the HDMI going straight to the HDTV.
post #1490 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post

I just ordered mine yesterday from them. Onward now to speakers.

I'll be heading down that path by the end of the year I'm sure...gotta save up allll over again.
post #1491 of 3184
I understand I may be asking in a biased thread, but how would you rate SQ of ghe 2309 vs a Marantz SR5003. They're similarly priced and the 2309 has a few more features but, ultimately, I want the best sounding amp for my money. What do you think?
post #1492 of 3184
I am a bit confused between the difference between the Matrix setting and the PLIIx Cinema setting under Parameters. Both create a rear channel sound. What is the difference between the two?
post #1493 of 3184
Although very similar, Denon's DSP Matrix mode adds an adjustable 0-300ms delay (p. 76) to the simulated surround signals to "add a sense of expansion" (as the manual indicates).
post #1494 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post

I understand I may be asking in a biased thread, but how would you rate SQ of ghe 2309 vs a Marantz SR5003. They're similarly priced and the 2309 has a few more features but, ultimately, I want the best sounding amp for my money. What do you think?

Nah, we pride ourselves on our unbiased views here.....NOT!!
Seriously, Teeter,
I took a quick look at the AVS Marantz thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?t=1060855page and the immediate issue in the first few posts is NO DynEQ. I didn't have to read any further to find any other potential issues. No way I'd buy a new AVR without that huge upgrade in Audyssey which is in the '09 Denons.
As to model of Denon, I'm not sure why you selected 2309(which is a fine choice), but you can save $ without giving up much with a 1909-not a bad idea if you are still shopping speakers and are on a tight budget, as you could spend the difference on the speakers. And, if you are very discerning on SQ, have (or will have) good speakers and a few more bucks in the budget, also consider the 2809 (the "best sounding amp for my money").

BTW I read the Marantz owners manual and immediately found something else missing that all Denons come with standard-it isn't written in Denonese! But then again we have batpig to translate for us.
post #1495 of 3184
I just opened my 2309, and hooked up my stuff and had a few questions about the component to HDMI stuff...

I hooked up my Xbox 360 via the component in (DVD-1) and optical in (TV/Cable - 1), then using the V-AUX (which I renamed XBOX 360), I edited its assignments to use these audio and video ins.

At first there was no video, when I googled and found some posts on here about the Xbox needing to be set to lower than 1080i, I changed the Xbox setting to 720p. Then walla! I had video and sound. And it looks pretty good.

My question is, what scale is the video at when I see it? Its obviously 720p coming from the Xbox to the 2309 (component ---> HDMI), but then from the 2309 to my Samsung TV (1080p), does my TV automatically upconvert that that 720p signal to 1080p?

This won't be an issue when I get a new Xbox with HDMI, but for now just trying to maximize my picture quality.

I could set the Xbox back up to 1080p and use the components plugged directly into the back of the TV, to ensure I have 1080p signal being displayed. But wondered what the 2309 component switching was displaying?
post #1496 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

, does my TV automatically upconvert that that 720p signal to 1080p?

Yes. It has to as the only resolution a 1080p TV can display is 1080p. It's unlikely that the Denon video chip will do a better job of upscaling than the TV.
post #1497 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes. It has to as the only resolution a 1080p TV can display is 1080p. It's unlikely that the Denon video chip will do a better job of upscaling than the TV.

Its a Samsung HL-S6187W DLP TV...so I'm assuming it automatically converts signals to 1080p when it can. And thats what I'm asking, its not taking the 720p signal from the 2309 and saying "Oh here is a 720p signal, display it as 720p", it's actually saying "Oh here is a 720p signal, let me upconvert it to 1080p and display that!"...

Right?
post #1498 of 3184
see the video conversion section in my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#section_03

the Denon will take the 720p component video and output it at either 720p or 1080p over HDMI to the TV, depending on what resolution you select. You can set this up independently by input in INPUT SETUP > VIDEO. If you haven't touched any of the defaults, then it is still set at "AUTO" for resolution, which means it will just "talk" to your TV and see what the highest resolution it accepts is. In your case, I assumed it's scaling the 720p > 1080p, which means your TV isn't doing anything.

If you turn the i/p scaler to "off", it will pass through the 720p signal to the HDMI out and then the TV will be doing the 720p > 1080p conversion. Note that the scaler in the denon will not do 720p >1080i conversion (as indicated in the manual pg 40) so your choices are pretty much to do 720p straight through, or have the Denon do 720p > 1080p.

So if I were you, I would try it both ways. Leave the resolution on "AUTO" in the Denon, and just flip the i/p scaler on and off and see which way looks better. If the i/p scaler is on, the Denon will be doing the 720p>1080p conversion. If it is off, your TV will do it. Pick the winner!
post #1499 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

see the video conversion section in my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#section_03

the Denon will take the 720p component video and output it at either 720p or 1080p over HDMI to the TV, depending on what resolution you select. You can set this up independently by input in INPUT SETUP > VIDEO. If you haven't touched any of the defaults, then it is still set at "AUTO" for resolution, which means it will just "talk" to your TV and see what the highest resolution it accepts is. In your case, I assumed it's scaling the 720p > 1080p, which means your TV isn't doing anything.

If you turn the i/p scaler to "off", it will pass through the 720p signal to the HDMI out and then the TV will be doing the 720p > 1080p conversion. Note that the scaler in the denon will not do 720p >1080i conversion (as indicated in the manual pg 40) so your choices are pretty much to do 720p straight through, or have the Denon do 720p > 1080p.

So if I were you, I would try it both ways. Leave the resolution on "AUTO" in the Denon, and just flip the i/p scaler on and off and see which way looks better. If the i/p scaler is on, the Denon will be doing the 720p>1080p conversion. If it is off, your TV will do it. Pick the winner!

Thanks batpig, once again, you save the day! I'll do that, and see which one wins. While I do that, which of your best guess do you think has the better conversion? Denon or Samsung TV? (I'll tell you the winner)
post #1500 of 3184
Ok, I did the test with the on/off of the ip scaler...and well its really hard to tell, both look really good. My test subject was just playing a game of Halo and comparing the menu's and game play.

I think the off looks a tad better, its not as dark, the Denon seemed a little bit dark, but still good, but I'm not expert.

Would you think the TV or Denon would do the job better?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread