or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

< sigh >
when you import it with the wizard, you can change all the columns to text at the same time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

< sigh >
when you import it with the wizard, you can change all the columns to text at the same time...
Yes, I figured that out AFTER I did it the hard way. With step 3 of the wizard by doing Shift + Last col and ticking the text button . Anyway, now I have the spreadsheet to send to Harmony. BatPig's link to the codes wass very helpful. It was Logitec that threw in the wrinkle of wanting the codes submitted in Excel.

The way I brought the data in was to copy the data from BP into a Word file then using word find/replace I inserted a comma in all blank spaces. Then I removed the comma's from the titles and saved the file. Then I used wordpad to open the saved file and then saved it as a raw text file. I then used Excel>data>text file>import and the excel wizard recognized the file as a comma delimited file and when I selected comma it put all of the data into the correct boxes then on next I selected text>shift>last col and all data was recognized as text and imported correctly. I have not done anything with excel for years so I had forgotten most functions,

Seems like a lot of trouble to get My Denon AVR to work easy again. Now back to Logitec to get a new Harmony one or 900 smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your hellp.
Edited by generallee - 11/15/12 at 2:37pm
post #3092 of 3184
Hello all,

I'm a owner of a AVR-2309CI, which I've been overall very happy with. I have a few questions about this unit, lately its started to make a really loud noise when I turn on the entire system using my universal remote. Everything is off, turn the system on, and this go awful sound, not sure what it is, a big buzz, or like a big clipping sound maybe? It only lasts a few seconds and doesn't do it again, until another system start up. I can't tell, or haven't taken the time to see when its happening other than the system coming up, like when the remote changes from Xbox or BluRay to the UVerse HDMI input etc...its probably one or both of those. Are there others with this issue and do we know what causes it?

Secondly, I'm about to upgrade to a new LED 3D TV and I'm wondering if I should consider a change in my AVR? It seems there are a lot of simpler and less expensive models out there now that handle 3D HDMI switching etc...my unit is a few years old and doesn't handle 3D. Of course I don't have to use the AVR to do 3D BluRay switching, I could connect directly to the TV and use optical audio. I dont feel I've ever even used this unit to its full potential. Sure I've used the HDMI switching but it was bought for the future use in a real home theater. So that hasn't happened and the life of this is still good, but technology has changed and I'm just wondering if something newer woud be good to move to now?

I'm sure I could sell this 2309CI, not sure what they go for, and if thats enough to help fund a newer similar line model, or if I could step down in model line and pay for it with the proceeds from this sale? Or is just keeping it, running my only 3D component directly to the TV and optical audio and just be happy with what this unit has for the rest of the system.

Any advice?
post #3093 of 3184
I would suggest that you buy a optical cable first and if you are using a programable remote like Harmony make a new activity. That way one can try things out without disturbing the other functions. You could then use separate HDMI ports to get your TV signal VS your blue ray, Game, CD, Phono, LaserDisk functions. This is easy to do and cheap. As far as the Buzz, Try cleaning the contacts. U may have some cat pee on them. smile.gif
post #3094 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I would suggest that you buy a optical cable first and if you are using a programable remote like Harmony make a new activity. That way one can try things out without disturbing the other functions. You could then use separate HDMI ports to get your TV signal VS your blue ray, Game, CD, Phono, LaserDisk functions. This is easy to do and cheap. As far as the Buzz, Try cleaning the contacts. U may have some cat pee on them. smile.gif

The buzz is bad, loud and scary for about 2 seconds. No cats in the house, and no dogs able to pee back there, its pee free.
It happens when certain components are being HDMI switched to...just not sure which ones or why.

Some of the newer and cheaper Denon AVRs have better options than this one, stuff like Airplay, network capabilities etc...thats why I'm considering a sell and down grade.
post #3095 of 3184
It sort of defeats the purpose of having an AVR that decodes HD Audio and then hooking it up with optical for lossy audio. My suggestion: upgrade. I did this in the spring when my 889 had the HDMI board go out. The 2312ci that replaced it does HDMI 1.4a and has on screen display as well as being networked. I do believe it is a little weaker in the amp section because it is lighter but I don't play it that loud most of the time anyhow.
post #3096 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It sort of defeats the purpose of having an AVR that decodes HD Audio and then hooking it up with optical for lossy audio. My suggestion: upgrade. I did this in the spring when my 889 had the HDMI board go out. The 2312ci that replaced it does HDMI 1.4a and has on screen display as well as being networked. I do believe it is a little weaker in the amp section because it is lighter but I don't play it that loud most of the time anyhow.

Yeah, I'm not one to keep old technology around long, so I've already decided to upgrade. What do you think I should list my 2309CI for? I can put it on eBay or Amazon marketplace, $399 -$599?
I have the original box and manual and remotes and speaker microphone etc...

Then its what to upgrade to...the 2312CI I will look at, I don't listen to a lot of loud stuff either, but that was my intentions for this 2309CI, when I moved into my house or built one that eventually has a dedicated home theater room, I would. That hasn't happened yet, so right now I don't need to spend a lot for a lot of amps, yet. When that day comes it will be time to upgrade again anyway. So for right now selling this old one and getting something that is not so upper line, but can deal with all my components and still sound good, thats what I need.

Xbox, UVerse, 3D BluRay, and Apple TV. 4 HDMI inputs...do I need HDMI 1.4a is that the latest and greatest?
post #3097 of 3184
Most TV source broadcast is so poor it does not deserve bette than lossyr. Most netflix is 2 channel which the Denon can change to 5-1 or better. Even D* Hawaii 5.0 is broadcast in 5-* so my suggestion was a cheap way to try things out with a new 3D TV. Cleaning the inputs with alcahol wipes won't hurt anything and might even correct an intermittant short that is comming from a cable connection. But then if one is too lazy to trouble shoot, then spending bucks is just what the economy needs.
post #3098 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

Most TV source broadcast is so poor it does not deserve bette than lossyr. Most netflix is 2 channel which the Denon can change to 5-1 or better. Even D* Hawaii 5.0 is broadcast in 5-* so my suggestion was a cheap way to try things out with a new 3D TV. Cleaning the inputs with alcahol wipes won't hurt anything and might even correct an intermittant short that is comming from a cable connection. But then if one is too lazy to trouble shoot, then spending bucks is just what the economy needs.

If that is your source then you are correct.

For blu-ray and the like, there is lossless audio so if you have a blu-ray player, or better yet an HTPC, then lossless is the way to go.
post #3099 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Yeah, I'm not one to keep old technology around long, so I've already decided to upgrade. What do you think I should list my 2309CI for? I can put it on eBay or Amazon marketplace, $399 -$599?
I have the original box and manual and remotes and speaker microphone etc...
Then its what to upgrade to...the 2312CI I will look at, I don't listen to a lot of loud stuff either, but that was my intentions for this 2309CI, when I moved into my house or built one that eventually has a dedicated home theater room, I would. That hasn't happened yet, so right now I don't need to spend a lot for a lot of amps, yet. When that day comes it will be time to upgrade again anyway. So for right now selling this old one and getting something that is not so upper line, but can deal with all my components and still sound good, thats what I need.
Xbox, UVerse, 3D BluRay, and Apple TV. 4 HDMI inputs...do I need HDMI 1.4a is that the latest and greatest?

Take a look in the dedicated Denon XX12 and XX13 threads. The first few posts are awesome comparisons of the various models. Pick what you need that is in your price range. As the XX13's came out six months ago the XX12's are a little hard to find but are also going to be less money. You need HDMI 1.4a if you are going to pass 3D through the AVR to the TV, stripping the lossless audio in the AVR for immersive surround sound.
post #3100 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Yeah, I'm not one to keep old technology around long, so I've already decided to upgrade. What do you think I should list my 2309CI for? I can put it on eBay or Amazon marketplace, $399 -$599?
I have the original box and manual and remotes and speaker microphone etc...

You definitely won't get that much if it's defective! Even in perfect condition a model of that age is probably only going to fetch $250-300 on the used market.

Among newer models, the 21xx level is the best buy for 7ch models if you don't need high end features. If you only need 5.1 max then the 1713 is an awesome value.
post #3101 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You definitely won't get that much if it's defective! Even in perfect condition a model of that age is probably only going to fetch $250-300 on the used market.
Among newer models, the 21xx level is the best buy for 7ch models if you don't need high end features. If you only need 5.1 max then the 1713 is an awesome value.

If anybody knows what to recommend, batpig is it or jdsmoothie as well.
post #3102 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

Most TV source broadcast is so poor it does not deserve bette than lossyr. Most netflix is 2 channel which the Denon can change to 5-1 or better. Even D* Hawaii 5.0 is broadcast in 5-* so my suggestion was a cheap way to try things out with a new 3D TV. Cleaning the inputs with alcahol wipes won't hurt anything and might even correct an intermittant short that is comming from a cable connection. But then if one is too lazy to trouble shoot, then spending bucks is just what the economy needs.

Sorry generallee, I didn't mean to make it sound like your advice wasn't good, its exactly what I plan to do upon first getting the TV setup, as I won't be going out and buying a new TV and AVR at the same time. So dealing with it your way is most definitely going to happen. And I will clean the connects when I have it all taken apart and get that TV in place. I don't think the unit is defective, but I guess it very well could be if this "short" or "clipping" sound or whatever it might be continues. It could be the cheaper amazon cables I got, who knows. I plan to get all new cables from monoprice when the TV is purchased, so I hope the sound goes away.

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out the suggest threads and AVR units you all mentioned!
post #3103 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You definitely won't get that much if it's defective! Even in perfect condition a model of that age is probably only going to fetch $250-300 on the used market.
Among newer models, the 21xx level is the best buy for 7ch models if you don't need high end features. If you only need 5.1 max then the 1713 is an awesome value.

Thanks batpig, you've helped me out in the past, I think to even upgrade to this 2309CI, so I know your advice is solid. I don't even have 5.1 setup right now in this current home, but I'd imagine the next place we go to will have 5.1 or 7.1, not sure I need to spend the money for 7.1 right now though, when the value of the 1713 will satisfy my needs and give me some of the newer technology like the iPod/iPhone features. Thanks!
post #3104 of 3184
The 1713 is $449 and the 2113CI is $649, seems it has a few more features and extras over the 1713 that might make it worth the $200's more? The iPhone/iPad application that can run and set it up is pretty neat.

Maybe you all can explain it to me, but it seems like these two models are missing a lot of stuff on the back, especially when compared to my 2309CI and how the entire back has connections. I guess these are more bare bones, just the basic connections that most modern stuff needs such as 6 HDMI's in, speakers and not a lot of the extra older stuff I guess? And so the price seems to be a little lower than what I paid for my 2309CI years ago when new...because it was decked to handle anything you wanted to plug into it I guess?

Is that the major difference? Or like what would be the 2309CI model of today that is comparable to what it was back in the day?
post #3105 of 3184
Analog inputs are going the way of the Dodo bird.
post #3106 of 3184
The price is lower but you are also comparing lower level models. Your 2309ci had an msrp of $849, and the current 2313ci has an msrp of $899.

The reduction in analog inputs is a widespread trend especially in lower level models. If you look at th back panel of the 2313 you will see a much more complete input selection. But with entry level models, most people are just plugging in a few HDMI components. Almost all current consumer electronics devices have HDMI output.
post #3107 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

The price is lower but you are also comparing lower level models. Your 2309ci had an msrp of $849, and the current 2313ci has an msrp of $899.
The reduction in analog inputs is a widespread trend especially in lower level models. If you look at th back panel of the 2313 you will see a much more complete input selection. But with entry level models, most people are just plugging in a few HDMI components. Almost all current consumer electronics devices have HDMI output.

Ok I see what you're saying here folks, thanks.
So batpig, whats the $200 difference in the 2313CI and 2113CI, if I'm considering the 2113CI, I always consider the next one up for $200 more, but I'm curious what is the added features/functions?
post #3108 of 3184
Review post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of all the XX13 models.
post #3109 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Review post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of all the XX13 models.

Thanks jdsmoothie!
post #3110 of 3184
Well I read the reviews from jdsmoothie and batpig, and watched batpigs video on his web site and I'm going to take this unopened 1913 back tomorrow and upgrade to the 2113CI...the "sweet spot" and no brainer upgrade!
post #3111 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Analog inputs are going the way of the Dodo bird.

They are but I still need one for my Phono Pre-Amp. Got to have that. Of course the Pre-Amp I have has Toslink Output but I use the analog anyhow because digital out really doesn't matter at all in this application and I'm sure the ADC in my 2312ci is better than that in the ArcSoft Pre-Amp.
post #3112 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

You definitely won't get that much if it's defective! Even in perfect condition a model of that age is probably only going to fetch $250-300 on the used market.

That's not a bad price, $250-$300 I might just put my literally flawless 2309CI on eBay (accessories, original box, always worked fine, not even a scratch etc), just to see if it sells for $300-350...
Quote:
Among newer models, the 21xx level is the best buy for 7ch models if you don't need high end features. If you only need 5.1 max then the 1713 is an awesome value.

This one comes with Zone2, higher output etc and price difference shouldn't be more than $60-70 so I'd argue that 23xx is a better deal among used ones. smile.gif
post #3113 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Analog inputs are going the way of the Dodo bird.
I guess I will be going that way (dodo) also but I still have some great old Stan Getz, Jerry Mulligan 33's that I dig out of the trunk and play on my Bic turntable with a 50 year old Shure that still works. That is one reason I selected the 2309CI which has given me 4 years of flawless performance. The second reason is the mfg of the 2309CI was from Japan and the 1909 was China. Every item I buy made in China, I have found to be junk. I looked at possibly upgrading to a 3313 but see that the Denon is having serious problems with it's network card and has done nothing to fix it (correctly)? Is Denon now making all in China now?
Edited by generallee - 1/27/13 at 8:49am
post #3114 of 3184
Got a problem with audio with my denon 889.
I just moved into a new house and only have the ability to run 3.1 speaker setup for the foreseeable future.
I reran the initial audyssey setup and everything seemed to be ok. It seems to recognize my 3.1 setup but there are times when I'm playing movies with 5.1 or 6.1 source I will lose audio including speech almost as if it is not correctly downmixing to my 3.1 setup. I never have a problem with a stereo 2.0 source. I have double checked and surround speakers are set to off.
Am I missing something else or is this expected from time to time when downmixing 5.1 and above source to 3.1?
Thanks
post #3115 of 3184
Could just be badly recorded audio tracks, otherwise there shouldn't be any issue downmixing 5.1 to 3.1.
post #3116 of 3184
Hi, folks. Novice here with a question, if you all don't mind. I have a Denon 889, and to be honest I don't even remember how to use the remote, let alone how to hook up a phone player-which is what I'm asking help with.

I've looked through the manual, searched the internet and this forum(and including Batpig's guide), but I can't seem to find out what I need to do with the receiver to get sound out of my daughter's phono player. I'm sure it's simple, but I'm obviously lost trying to get this thing to work for her. I got it all plugged in, then I got lost, ha ha. Any help for the simple by you experts would be much appreciated.

I have a new record player; a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, if that makes any difference.
post #3117 of 3184
The 889 does have dedicated PHONO input jacks so if the turntable has a built-in pre-amp you can simply connect it to any of the analog audio inputs otherwise if it does not come with a pre-amp, you can connect to the PHONO inputs.
Edited by jdsmoothie - 2/27/13 at 7:25pm
post #3118 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 889 does not have dedicated PHONO input jacks so if the turntable has a built-in pre-amp you can simply connect it to any of the analog audio inputs otherwise if it does not come with a pre-amp, you'll need to purchase an external phono pre-amp which would connect between the turntable and the analog audio inputs.

Well, now I'm really confused. I plugged into L and R jacks marked "Phono" right about the center of the back of the receiver, in the area labeled "Audio". Also, when I ordered the phone player I talked to the owner on the phone and he asked which receiver I had, and he told me he knew that Denon receiver had a pre-amp for a turntable, so I did not need to order an external pre-amp.
post #3119 of 3184
Ah yes, hidden there in the middle, of course. Yes, you should be fine then so not sure why you're not hearing anything. You may need to connect a ground wire, although that shouldn't prevent audio at all. Simply select the PHONO source under the back flap on the remote.
post #3120 of 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ah yes, hidden there in the middle, of course. Yes, you should be fine then so not sure why you're not hearing anything. You may need to connect a ground wire, although that shouldn't prevent audio at all. Simply select the PHONO source under the back flap on the remote.

I've had the ground wire hooked up since the beginning. We tried pressing the phono button on the back of the remote, but nothing happens. The display continues to show Cable. It's a brand new remote(last one broke)and as far as I can tell the other remote buttons work. Is there something else I'm supposed to press to make that phono button work?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR 2309CI/889 Thread