or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1006

post #30151 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post

Hi evil stewie, check out my post here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1054927/official-pioneer-elite-bdp-05fd-bdp-51fd-owners-thread-vs-1-32-dts-hd-ma/29910#post_21825257 the second part is most relevant there really is no way without the special CD. My 71 is still going fine, an oppo 93/103 will be cheaper than your original 71 but still pricey but I think worth it, it is as good in all respects, more flexible and much faster, I have oppo 93. The 103 I suspect will be a nice machine but be aware if you are into streaming etc that the 103 has Cinavia incorporated.


Not to mention the Oppos play SACD & DVD-Audio;)
post #30152 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Not to mention the Oppos play SACD & DVD-Audio;)

You are right that is what I meant by more flexible it just about plays anything, might as well add the incredible support, outstanding build quality and so far apparently high level of reliability. I am pretty pleased with mine but still really happy the 05 continues to plod on albeit that bit slower in my den.
post #30153 of 30708
Hello I need help!!!

My BDP-51's last update is 1.73
I have problem playing "The flowers of War" movie.
I have to mention...it's a DVD not a Bluray disk.
The machine simply don't recognize the DVD disk.
It displays :"_unknowndisk"
And I tried three different disks of the same DVD movie.
And the disk plays on an ordinary DVD machine, an old Pioneer DV-616 and even, others!
What's wrong???
Thanks

Luc
Edited by Luke123 - 11/26/12 at 11:46am
post #30154 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post

Hello I need help!!!
My BDP-51's last update is 1.73
I have problem playing "The flowers of War" movie.
I have to mention...it's a DVD not a Bluray disk.
The machine simply don't recognize the DVD disk.
It displays :"_unknowndisk"
And I tried three different disks of the same DVD movie.
And the disk plays on an ordinary DVD machine, an old Pioneer DV-616 and even, others!
What's wrong???
Thanks
Luc

Will it recognize and play any other DVD?  Try one and see.

 

It sounds like the red laser diode is dead.  If that's the case, probably time to buy a new machine if you want to play both DVD and Blu-ray in the same machine.  It's going to cost more than its worth to repair.  Make it an early Christmas present to yourself.

post #30155 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Will it recognize and play any other DVD?  Try one and see.
Hello B Curry

It always played DVD and Bluray Perfectly and it still does...except this one.
First time I see it fail like this!
I don't understand...normally it's a great performing machine.


Luke
post #30156 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post


Hello B Curry
It always played DVD and Bluray Perfectly and it still does...except this one.
First time I see it fail like this!
I don't understand...normally it's a great performing machine.
Luke

Region code maybe?  I don't know... 

 

If it's playing other DVD's OK it's hard to say.  Is it a disc from the factory or a copy?

post #30157 of 30708
It's a factory DVD disk.
The more I think about it the morere I think the solution is in an eventual Pioneer firmware update.
What do you think?

Luke
post #30158 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

Well I've retired my 51 for a denon, Had a lot of fun with the 51 and kinda hate to see it go but now that I have a faster player and can also play SACD's I'm happy.
good luck to all that still have the 51 and 05.

Do you know if your Denon utilizes Cinevia protection? Googled and couldn't find anything.
post #30159 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

Do you know if your Denon utilizes Cinevia protection? Googled and couldn't find anything.

I have no idea and really don't know how I would know.

Sorry....
post #30160 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

I have no idea and really don't know how I would know.
Sorry....
Easy, just play a BD-R that you've recorded a movie on and you'll get a message displayed stating that the media is not authorized for playback on the device and that users should visit the Cinavia web page for more information. The audio may be muted or stop playing alltogether.
post #30161 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

Do you know if your Denon utilizes Cinevia protection? Googled and couldn't find anything.

Didn't Cinevia die a deserved death?
post #30162 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post


Didn't Cinevia die a deserved death?

No, it's alive and well...

 

Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.

 

Cinavia is now required and part of the Blu-ray llicensing fee.

 

  • If you manufacture a Blu-ray player from 2012 on, you must pay a Cinavia llicensing fee.
  • If you include a Cinevia watermark on your disc's audio track you pay a licensing fee.
  • If you're a distributor, every disc that has Cinevia encoding on it and you distribute it, you pay a per disc royalty.
post #30163 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post

It's a factory DVD disk.
The more I think about it the morere I think the solution is in an eventual Pioneer firmware update.
What do you think?
Luke

I don't think so.

 

The firmware updates mostly address changes in AACS security or how Java has been implemented for Blu-ray.  It's doubtful that there would be any changes made for DVD at this point in time; especially at this point in time considering the age of these machines.

 

I would guess your machine is having some problem with the DVD media itself or something associated with it.  It would be interesting if you could rip the DVD and burn a new disc and see if it would work on your 51.

post #30164 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

No, it's alive and well...

Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.

Cinavia is now required and part of the Blu-ray llicensing fee.
  • If you manufacture a Blu-ray player from 2012 on, you must pay a Cinavia llicensing fee.
  • If you include a Cinevia watermark on your disc's audio track you pay a licensing fee.
  • If you're a distributor, every disc that has Cinevia encoding on it and you distribute it, you pay a per disc royalty.
Well I'm still hopeful. I see a bunch of "if"s and no "must" except for paying a fee. It doesn't say you have to use the technology.
post #30165 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post


Well I'm still hopeful. I see a bunch of "if"s and no "must" except for paying a fee. It doesn't say you have to use the technology.

 

 

I guess you over looked the words "mandatory" and "required".

 

The only hope is with the studios or production facilities who choose not to use Cinavia on Blu-ray or DVD discs.

 

Cinavia is part of the hardware/firmware of any Blu-ray player manufactured 2012 or later.  There are now over 100 known DVD/Blu-ray titles with Cinavia encoding.  Many movies shown at commercial theaters contain the Cinavia watermark.  If such a commercial movie has had a pirate recording made of it via camcorder and burned to a disc, Cinavia stays intact and active.  Sony Pictures Studios are a primary driver of the technology.

 

If you attempt to copy and play back any Cinavia encoded media on a Blu-ray licensed device with a build date of 2012 or later the media will not play properly.  Not to mention, the increase in the licensing fee and distribution royalty fee is passed along to the person who buys a Cinavia encoded disc or a new Blu-ray player.

 

There is no "hope" or "if" about it.


Edited by b curry - 11/28/12 at 1:43pm
post #30166 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post


I guess you over looked the words "mandatory" and "required".

The only hope is with the studios or production facilities who choose not to use Cinavia on Blu-ray or DVD discs.

Cinavia is part of the hardware/firmware of any Blu-ray player manufactured 2012 or later.  There are now over 100 known DVD/Blu-ray titles with Cinavia encoding.  Many movies shown at commercial theaters contain the Cinavia watermark.  If such a commercial movie has had a pirate recording made of it via camcorder and burned to a disc, Cinavia stays intact and active.  Sony Pictures Studios are a primary driver of the technology.

If you attempt to copy and play back any Cinavia encoded media on a Blu-ray licensed device with a build date of 2012 or later the media will not play properly.

There is no "hope" or "if" about it.

I do see those words. But they apply to the licensing fee, not use of the technology except for this quote: "Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012." But it is not clear if you are saying this or if they are saying this. It is very clear that you present the bulleted points as what they are saying. But these points do not say use of the technology is required. Only that payment is. It is odd, but that is what the words say.
post #30167 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post


I do see those words. But they apply to the licensing fee, not use of the technology except for this quote: "Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012." But it is not clear if you are saying this or if they are saying this. It is very clear that you present the bulleted points as what they are saying. But these points do not say use of the technology is required. Only that payment is. It is odd, but that is what the words say.
 
Cinavia technology is mandatory and required for a Blu-ray licensed device built in 2012 or later.
 
In other words a Blu-ray disc player or a streaming media player that has a Blu-ray license from 2012 forward will have Cinavia on the device as part of the hardware/firmware.  The prerequisite requirement to buy the Blu-ray license is to present the hardware and demonstrate Cinavia compliance.
 
Cinavia watermark on a disc is an option offered to a studio but not required.
 
July 20, 2011 — SAN DIEGO — AACS LA, LLC today announced that, pursuant to the provisions of its license agreements with Blu-ray Disc player manufacturers, the inclusion of the Cinavia technology from Verance Corporation will become mandatory for all Blu-ray Disc players as of February 1, 2012. 

Here's the link to satisfy your "you" vs. "they" confusion:  http://www.verance.com/AdminSavR/news/news_item.php?news_id=66
 
And some more links just for fun:
post #30168 of 30708
Thank you very much for your patience. Well crumb. This is "not so good news" indeed. My digging at wording comes from language used by conspiracy theorists. I'm sorry you're not one of them! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Quote:
Here's the link to satisfy your "you" vs. "they" confusion:  http://www.verance.com/AdminSavR/news/news_item.php?news_id=66
post #30169 of 30708
Have a very nice (original release) BDP-05FD unit if anyone is interested...............
post #30170 of 30708
Hello

In one of the preceeding post I mentionned a problem with UNKNOWNDISK for certain BR and DVD disks.
I tried to erase dada in BDMV...nothing...return to manuf's setting...no result.
What I'm discovering now is the this 3 years old machine can't read CD!!! Imagine...3 years!
I talk with a service guy in Pioneer Canada.
He thinks it's the laser unit that has to be changed and that service costs and shipping ...around $300.
Do you imagine? A three years old machine?
I was a fan of them but right now I'm reverting!
So decieved because I loved that machine. Specially the 2CH. output.
But sad to say ...what a piece of crap!
Aiming for Oppo 105 in long term and some sort of inexpensive machine for few months.
Have to figure out which one...

Luke
post #30171 of 30708
Shall I just totally jinx myself and my entire home theater...??? I've had this player for 5yrs...I think. I'm still lovin it and yes, it occasionally has to be upgraded. But it is still playing through my tried and true gigantic lump of metal HK-7200 and Emo XPA-3. Paired with my Pioneer FPJ1 pj and Audax HT speakers I still smile when I light up the screen biggrin.gif
post #30172 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post

Hey
Thanks for tour answer.
My updates have been done to 1.73.
Never move the machine from its place.
But don't laugh and watch out! It could happen to you ...you never know...sometimes in one week, one month or so?
When a gear is programmed to die it will just die. It's called a programmed piece of crap.
But you say:"Shall I just totally jinx myself and my entire home theater...???"
You don't have to do it to the entire system!
Luke

Programmed to die!!! Gosh I hope not. I haven't bought any HT gear in about 5yrs. The Oppo units are great and I still have one but it is an upscaling DVD player. I guess that is before BD. Now everything I see is 3D capable and I'm not interested in that. Those Oppos are all $1k. My FPJ1 projector is D-ILA and I don't think those will play 3D, so I hope my 51d keeps going.
post #30173 of 30708
Hey

Thanks for your answer.
My updates have been done to 1.73.
Never move the machine from its place.
Glad for you if your machine runs right.
But go tooo fast...don't laugh and watch out!
It could happen to you ...you never know...sometimes in one week, one month or so?
When a gear is programmed to die it will just die.
It's called a programmed piece of crap.eek.gif

Luke
Edited by Luke123 - 12/5/12 at 12:53pm
post #30174 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

Programmed to die!!! Gosh I hope not. I haven't bought any HT gear in about 5yrs. The Oppo units are great and I still have one but it is an upscaling DVD player. I guess that is before BD. Now everything I see is 3D capable and I'm not interested in that. Those Oppos are all $1k. My FPJ1 projector is D-ILA and I don't think those will play 3D, so I hope my 51d keeps going.

I simply don't care if it is 3D capable even if I don't need it.
It's tiny fraction of the cost.
I just want to have a great machine with excellent picture but reference 2 Ch. Audio outs.
The Oppo have excellent internal DA's, maybe one of the best out there.

Luke
post #30175 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post

Hello
In one of the preceeding post I mentionned a problem with UNKNOWNDISK for certain BR and DVD disks.
I tried to erase dada in BDMV...nothing...return to manuf's setting...no result.
What I'm discovering now is the this 3 years old machine can't read CD!!! Imagine...3 years!
I talk with a service guy in Pioneer Canada.
He thinks it's the laser unit that has to be changed and that service costs and shipping ...around $300.
Do you imagine? A three years old machine?
I was a fan of them but right now I'm reverting!
So decieved because I loved that machine. Specially the 2CH. output.
But sad to say ...what a piece of crap!
Aiming for Oppo 105 in long term and some sort of inexpensive machine for few months.
Have to figure out which one...
Luke

 

 

As I said earlier, I think your red laser diode is dead or dieing.  It's a known problem with these machines.

post #30176 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post


As I said earlier, I think your red laser diode is dead or dieing.  It's a known problem with these machines.

You think so? You think it's the red diode?
OK...I appreciate very much your advice.
I'm going to do it myself.
I'll change the whole laser assembly that can be had at eBay for around $15-$40 depending on the part number.
As I work in Audio I think I can fix it myself.
I'm someone with a hard skin!
If I succeed in repairing the unit I promise to make a complete report to help the others with this problem!
OK for now....Anybody has extra advices for me?
Thanks

Luke

PS. Holy s...! I'm not going to ship my unit and get ready to pay a $15 part and a 15 minutes operation for $400 or probably more including shipping+taxes!!! Zilchhhhh!
Or apply what these crooks usually suggest...the infamous B plan which consist into dropping a "not scratched/brand new looking"" player in the trash and buy another one. For...get...it!
post #30177 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post


You think so? You think it's the red diode?
OK...I appreciate very much your advice.
I'm going to do it myself.
I'll change the whole laser assembly that can be had at eBay for around $15-$40 depending on the part number.
As I work in Audio I think I can fix it myself.
I'm someone with a hard skin!
If I succeed in repairing the unit I promise to make a complete report to help the others with this problem!
OK for now....Anybody has extra advices for me?
Thanks
Luke
PS. Holy s...! I'm not going to ship my unit and get ready to pay a $15 part and a 15 minutes operation for $400 or probably more including shipping+taxes!!! Zilchhhhh!
Or apply what these crooks usually suggest...the infamous B plan which consist into dropping a "not scratched/brand new looking"" player in the trash and buy another one. For...get...it!

 

The red laser diode is used for CD and DVD.  Your earlier post stated you were having a problem reading DVD.  And now you've said you have problems with CD's so yes, it sounds like the red laser diode.

 

Good luck...

post #30178 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

The red laser diode is used for CD and DVD.  Your earlier post stated you were having a problem reading DVD.  And now you've said you have problems with CD's so yes, it sounds like the red laser diode.

Good luck...


Hello b_curry and thanks for replies.
A question for you.
From the best you may know...usually...does the laser assembly includes ALL laser diodes?

Luke
Edited by Luke123 - 12/6/12 at 7:37am
post #30179 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke123 View Post


Hello b_curry and thanks for replies.
A question for you.
From the best you may know...usually...does the laser assembly includes ALL laser diodes?
Luke

 

 

I believe they are part of the same board. But I have never seen the laser diode assembly for sale by itself or even a part number for it.  That doesn't mean that you can't buy it, just that I have never seen it available.

 

Most people have had to replace the entire drive; it's not cheap and it can be hard to find.  Pioneer USA lists the drive as no longer available.  Your $300 price quote for replacement sounds good to me as the drive alone, on the Internet if you can find one, is over $400.  The part number for the drive is VXX3325.

 

It's also not an easy job to replace the entire drive by yourself.  It does require some special software to flash the drive and machine that will allow them to recognize each other and a service remote.

 

Again, good luck...

post #30180 of 30708
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post


I believe they are part of the same board. But I have never seen the laser diode assembly for sale by itself or even a part number for it.  That doesn't mean that you can't buy it, just that I have never seen it available.

Most people have had to replace the entire drive; it's not cheap and it can be hard to find.  Pioneer USA lists the drive as no longer available.  Your $300 price quote for replacement sounds good to me as the drive alone, on the Internet if you can find one, is over $400.  The part number for the drive is VXX3325.

It's also not an easy job to replace the entire drive by yourself.  It does require some special software to flash the drive and machine that will allow them to recognize each other and a service remote.

Again, good luck...

Hello B_curry
Thanks for answer.
$300...that was a price I figured out myself based on estimation they gave me on the phone.
They said a laser diode would have to be replaced.
Since I work in electronics I knew such a bill is a joke. To not say...a rip-off!
Anyway I was on the phone to claim a free repair even if out of warranty. Don't laugh...you should know me!
Where I live, there is a specific law about this kind of bad-businessship...anyway.
I'm not going to fight on this...the real amount I will pay and trouble is too low.
OK.
Thanks for the part number and price list but I never bite such expensive meat!
From these guys's list...IEC power cord $37...El cheapo RCA cable...$18...Who are they?
So funny to read this...Who the hell will make business with these weasels?
A BDV-103XA, (probably a Sony or else manufactured drive...) that they rename VXX3325 and try to sell more than 5 or six times (not exagerating here...) the price...street price I mean.
I will be working in my player next week when I have a chance, isolate the problem, get a part number for ordering.
I bet you I will get the required part for less than $35.
Take a look here for fun. I don't say it's the right one but is just a fast basic search I made in 3 minutes.
The "needed part" could be here or elsewhere!
I'll figure out and make a future report.
Promise!

Luke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA