or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA - Page 1008

post #30211 of 30711
erkq, you talk about "HDMI levels", but what you really seem to be talking about is a colorspace mismatch.

In the 51/05, the setting is described on page 41 of the user manual.
Quote:
HDMI Color Space

Auto The video signal that is output (YCbCr or RGB) is switched automatically.
YCbCr 4:4:4 Select this to output the video signals as YCbCr 4:4:4 signals.
YCbCr 4:2:2 Select this to output the video signals as YCbCr 4:2:2 signals.
RGB (16 to 235) Select this to output the video signals as RGB signals. Choose this if the colors seem too dense and all the dark colors are displayed in a uniform black when RGB (0 – 255) is selected.
RGB (0 to 255) Select this to output the video signals as RGB signals. Choose this if the colors seem too faint and the black seems too bright when RGB (16 – 235) is selected.

Normally it is recommended to set this to Auto. When set to Auto, the optimum video signals for your TV are output.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays to all!

Dan.
post #30212 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

erkq, you talk about "HDMI levels", but what you really seem to be talking about is a colorspace mismatch.
...

Thanks for responding!

Well, I think it's HDMI level mismatch. It's the 0-255 vs. 16-235, Enhanced vs. Normal, PC vs. Video problem. I'll put everything to "Auto" in the signal chain and see how that does.

So, when set to "Auto", how do you know whether to specify 0-255 or 16-235 when setting up a gamma calibration in CalMAN? How do you know what it's doing? I was trying to make it a determinant thing.
post #30213 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post


Thanks for responding!
Well, I think it's HDMI level mismatch. It's the 0-255 vs. 16-235, Enhanced vs. Normal, PC vs. Video problem. I'll put everything to "Auto" in the signal chain and see how that does.
So, when set to "Auto", how do you know whether to specify 0-255 or 16-235 when setting up a gamma calibration in CalMAN? How do you know what it's doing? I was trying to make it a determinant thing.

 

 

No, it's a color space mismatch as info_dan has said.  You can experience the same problem using component cables / component connections.

 

Normally, you would select the color space that produces the best black level.

post #30214 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post


No, it's a color space mismatch as info_dan has said.  You can experience the same problem using component cables / component connections.

Normally, you would select the color space that produces the best black level.

Well, thanks for your input everybody. I found what I needed in the "Initial Setup" menu. Never thought to look there, but I was getting desperate. Of course, no mention made of this in the owner's manual. I set everything in my disc players, Radiance and projector to 16-235 and all is good. Whew! Went through another auto-cal last night with CalMAN set to 16-235 and watched MIB III. Spec-TAC-ular! Fun movie too. My wife really enjoyed it!
post #30215 of 30711
I just purchased an Oppo 103 to replace my Elite BDP 05FD. Is the 05FD worth much on the street?
post #30216 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

Is the 05FD worth much on the street?

It's worth a lot more "in the home." cool.gif

All kidding aside, Amazon has a used one for sale for $228.05.
post #30217 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

I just purchased an Oppo 103 to replace my Elite BDP 05FD. Is the 05FD worth much on the street?

I should have mentioned that I also have my eye on the Oppo 103. I've enjoyed the 05 but it has also had its share of problems, along with ridiculously slow load times. The features on the Oppo are incredible and it really is quite "future-proof" (the "foreseeable" future, that is).
post #30218 of 30711
Hi, I have a 05-FD which my father got from work. It's faulty and out of warranty. How do I forcibly remove a disc from the blu-ray drive. We have taken off the top bit.
post #30219 of 30711
If the top is already off, then it's just a matter of inserting a strong paperclip in the right hole, as shown below.

Hope this helps!

Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor08 View Post


There is a way mentioned on the service manual, using what they call a Disc Ejection Rod, though it also says that you can use a 1mm long rod to do it.

It requires you to open the player's case. I'm attaching the manual's illustration

for this. So it's either opening the unit and trying again or sending it for repair.
LL
post #30220 of 30711
Do you know if it is possible to make the dvd part of the player region free with an Iphone? I know it is possible with some remotes but with an Iphone?
post #30221 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by oligregoire View Post

Do you know if it is possible to make the dvd part of the player region free with an Iphone? I know it is possible with some remotes but with an Iphone?

 

I think it's probably possible.

 

The BDP-51/05 only works with an infrared remote, no wifi.  So, you would need to have one of the accessory hardware devices and the application that allows the iPhone to send commands via infrared.  Then you would need to program the HEX code for a Pioneer service remote into the iPhone.

 

The hack involves the emulation of the Pioneer service remote, part number GGF1381.  I believe most people have preformed the hack using a Harmony or Pronto remote with the codes loaded to allow emulation of the service remote.  You'll need to do some searching for the remote codes and the necessary changes to the BDP-51/05 service menu; they maybe somewhere in this thread or goggle for them.

 

EDIT:  Or, if you're lucky enough to have or have access to the Pioneer service remote, it's an easier job.  The Pioneer service remotes seem to be next to impossible to find.
 

Good luck.


Edited by b curry - 1/1/13 at 10:11am
post #30222 of 30711
I programmed my Harmony as a Pioneer service remote and did it with no problems back when I did it. It was pretty simple to do if I remember correctly. I'm sure there's specific directions somewhere in this thread if you dig back far enough.
post #30223 of 30711
Hey All,

I am wondering if there are audio options for the 51FD? i ask because I have noticed there is a big difference in the base/sub level of movies played with my PS3 and my 51FD, with the PS3 being noticeably better.

thanks.
post #30224 of 30711
^^^ What is your setup?

- Are you using an AVR or directly to the TV?
- How is the 51FD connected? Digital (HDMI / Coxaxial / Optical) or analog (RCA cables)

There are quite a few options. Take a look in your manual, starting page 39 (Advanced settings)

Dan.
post #30225 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

I programmed my Harmony as a Pioneer service remote and did it with no problems back when I did it. It was pretty simple to do if I remember correctly. I'm sure there's specific directions somewhere in this thread if you dig back far enough.

I did the same with my Pioneer 320. I don't remember the exact procedure, but I do remember I had some trouble getting the appropriate codes to load on my Harmony remote, but once that was done the procedure was easy.
post #30226 of 30711
Hey Dan,

Connected to AVR through Optical Cable, PS# is using Optical as well. i Tried switching optical inputs on the AVR same result, the PS3 is producing a very noticeably better low end...
post #30227 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezzar View Post

Hey Dan,
Connected to AVR through Optical Cable, PS# is using Optical as well. i Tried switching optical inputs on the AVR same result, the PS3 is producing a very noticeably better low end...

 

You really need to think about using an HDMI connection and an AVR that offers some room correction EQ/Bass management.

 

HDMI will allow you to use the lossless codec's available on Blu-ray.  Room correction DSP and or Bass management will make a very noticeable difference in the overall sound quality.

post #30228 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezzar View Post

Hey Dan,
Connected to AVR through Optical Cable, PS# is using Optical as well. i Tried switching optical inputs on the AVR same result, the PS3 is producing a very noticeably better low end...

Ok, do you know for both the PS3 and the 51FD if, for each one, they are bitstreaming or decoding internally and sending PCM through the optical link?

Of course, I assume you're comparing the sound of each using the same source disc. Have you compared different types of discs (CD vs DVD vs Blu-ray)?

One thing you should definitely double-check, since you're not using HDMI, is that your "Output Terminal Priority" is set correctly. Look at page 49 of your manual and make sure it is set to "Digital Audio".

Dan.
post #30229 of 30711
Just bought an BD-93 from OPPO. Time to let one of my BDP-51FD's go to an appreciative home.

PM me if interested. I am in Phoenix, AZ

Mike K
post #30230 of 30711
Dan,

Yes, same source disk.

PS3 is set to Bitstream Direct, 51FD is set to Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital 1, and for DTS - DTS 1...what is optimal for 51fd?

what is preferred, bitsream or PCM?

Output Terminal Priority is set correctly

Don't run HDMI through my AVR because my AVR is a Denon 5805, the thing is a monster, but does not output 1080p through HDMI, only 1080i...my rev. anyway.

thanks again.
post #30231 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I should have mentioned that I also have my eye on the Oppo 103. I've enjoyed the 05 but it has also had its share of problems, along with ridiculously slow load times. The features on the Oppo are incredible and it really is quite "future-proof" (the "foreseeable" future, that is).

Hello

I purchased a BDP-103 two weeks ago to replace my BDP-51FD that broke.
I lost my laser unit as stated in several post of mine in the end of 51/05FD thread.
OK.
You know what?
I don't regret my purchase at all.
Better video and ANALOG audio despite I would have liked to buy the 105 that I did not have budget for.
Plus a lot of additional advantages and features and all work fine.
Go for it!

Luke
post #30232 of 30711
Elite BR Owners-

I am getting into BR this year & want an Elite player.
On my short-list is the BDP-09 or BDP-05. Which one would you recommend?

Happy New Year!
post #30233 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezzar View Post

Dan,
Yes, same source disk.
PS3 is set to Bitstream Direct, 51FD is set to Dolby Digital - Dolby Digital 1, and for DTS - DTS 1...what is optimal for 51fd?
what is preferred, bitsream or PCM?
Output Terminal Priority is set correctly
Don't run HDMI through my AVR because my AVR is a Denon 5805, the thing is a monster, but does not output 1080p through HDMI, only 1080i...my rev. anyway.
thanks again.

What is "optimal" always depends on environment, connections and user preferences, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to provide the user with a choice.

Bitstream vs PCM should yield identical results, if the AVR is able to decode. The only difference may be with regards to secondary audio, but we shouldn't bother with this at this stage.

To summarize:
- Your Output Terminal Priority for audio is set to Digital Audio
- You are connected through optical fiber
- "Dolby Digital Out" is set to Dolby Digital 1, DTS to DTS 1, which means you should be bitstreaming
- Your PS3 is also bitstreaming to the AVR through optical fiber

Yet you hear a sound difference between PS3 and 51FD... With the above info, I'm not sure how this would be possible. The AVR should be receiving the same digital info from both sources. There must be an option somewhere I'm not thinking of.

Two things I can think of:
1) The movie disk you are using (I assume from previous post that you have tested with only one disk, a movie) is defaulting to a different audio track between the PS3 and 51FD
2) Have you tried comparing a standard music CD?

Dan.
post #30234 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Elite BR Owners-
I am getting into BR this year & want an Elite player.
On my short-list is the BDP-09 or BDP-05. Which one would you recommend?
Happy New Year!

Why not a BDP-23FD? it was the 05's successor, and Ethernet updates make life a bit simpler. (yeah, I know, there may not be any more, but who knows...)

Dan.
post #30235 of 30711
By the way...
Anybody would have a way to modify my 51FD to add a digital input for internal DAC?

L
post #30236 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Elite BR Owners-
I am getting into BR this year & want an Elite player.
On my short-list is the BDP-09 or BDP-05. Which one would you recommend?
Happy New Year!

Neither. These are old machines. Newer ones are much quicker and have better error correction. My 51FD (similar to the 05) is now collecting dust, and I am eyeing an Oppo.
post #30237 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Neither. These are old machines. Newer ones are much quicker and have better error correction. My 51FD (similar to the 05) is now collecting dust, and I am eyeing an Oppo.

+1

Pioneer isn't what it use to be.
post #30238 of 30711
Also, those older players don't have internet connectivity, so no streaming and no ability to update firmware over the internet. And Pioneer will not keep updating firmware for their older models. Why are you interested in these older models? If for the analog audio DACs, they are better in the Oppo 105.
post #30239 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Elite BR Owners-
I am getting into BR this year & want an Elite player.
On my short-list is the BDP-09 or BDP-05. Which one would you recommend?
Happy New Year!

Hello

If I were you I would think twice about it.
Just ask yourself if this machine will be supported in the future.
The previous update (1.73) has been released exactly 10 months ago.
And by an obscure chinese company...not by Pioneer itself.
post #30240 of 30711
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I think it's probably possible.

The BDP-51/05 only works with an infrared remote, no wifi.  So, you would need to have one of the accessory hardware devices and the application that allows the iPhone to send commands via infrared.  Then you would need to program the HEX code for a Pioneer service remote into the iPhone.

The hack involves the emulation of the Pioneer service remote, part number GGF1381.  I believe most people have preformed the hack using a Harmony or Pronto remote with the codes loaded to allow emulation of the service remote.  You'll need to do some searching for the remote codes and the necessary changes to the BDP-51/05 service menu; they maybe somewhere in this thread or goggle for them.

EDIT:  Or, if you're lucky enough to have or have access to the Pioneer service remote, it's an easier job.  The Pioneer service remotes seem to be next to impossible to find.

 
Good luck.

Thanks for the answer but I can't find anything for Iphone over the internet (aka. "program the HEX code for a Pioneer service remote into the iPhone" or "program iPhone as a a Pioneer service remote").
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD Owners Thread / Vs 1.32 DTS-HD MA