or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Hisense USDTV db2010 Digital Tuner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hisense USDTV db2010 Digital Tuner - Page 2

post #31 of 77
Thank you!!! Much appreciated. Good luck at your new job. Great work...

DavCorn
post #32 of 77
Anyone ever have a problem with their box just refusing to turn on at all? We have had 3 boxes in the family for at least a couple years. All were updated to the newest firmware last fall and worked pretty well.

This month 2 of the three now refuse to turn on at all. Both indicator lights on the right remain red. They cannot be turned on using the remote nor using the button on the face of the boxes. They have been unplugged and plugged back in with no luck.

I could see one box breaking b/c of something internally, but two at the same time? Is there any other way to "trick" the box into turning on? Perhaps someone else has had a similar problem and found an easy fix?

Thanks!
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbs View Post

DavCorn,

Were you able to update the firmware on all the units you have? I got one from ebay and I cannot get it to accept a new firmware and I have tried just about all the versions available on dogleg69's site. If you are able to update the firmware, do you mind explaining how you do it? Thanks.

On my unit, when I first power up the device, it wants to go thru diagnostics. It says something about testing the DS2505, then it tests the led's, and then it asks to put a flash drive to test the usb port. After all this, it says to connect the antenna. After a few seconds, it says the picture and audio should be showing and to use the + and - buttons to change channels. But there is no picture. Except for + and - buttons, no other buttons on the remote works, not even power. It does not look like the unit even went thru a channel scan. So basically, the unit powers up, goes thru diagnostics, and hangs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jtbs

JTBS,

I have the same problem....were you able to resolve it? I can't get the firmware update to work at all (linux or windows version) - and none of the menu buttons work.

I'm looking to send it back to the guy I bought it from on ebay.
post #34 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftdkn View Post

JTBS,

I have the same problem....were you able to resolve it? I can't get the firmware update to work at all (linux or windows version) - and none of the menu buttons work.

I'm looking to send it back to the guy I bought it from on ebay.

If you have the same problem as jtbs, then you have a brand new box straight from the Hisense factory in China. You can tell if you have diagnostic/test software by seeing if the box asks you questions like:

- press the X button
- is the green light on
- now is the red light on
- do you see X on the screen
- etc....

Those are not the exact questions, but something like that. This is the initial software developed by USD and given to Hisense to put on at the factory in China. I can only speculate that USD did not want to let the real firmware out of their possession. So, they gave the manufacturer a simple test firmware. You need special firmware to fix this problem.

You can either IM me in this special case or send it back to whoever you bought it from.
post #35 of 77
I just bought a new reciever and cannot figure out the readme instructions.

- Unzip the contents to a directory

- Open a command prompt

- cd to

- Plug in at least a 16MB USB stick.

- Note what drive letter was assigned to the USB stick.

- Run the command: "dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\put_usb_drive_letter_here:"

- For example, if the USB is drive g:, then run "dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\g:"

- Unplug your USDTV box.

- Plug in the USB key.

- Plug the USDTV box back in.

- Wait. When completed, unplug the box, the USB stick and plug the box back in.



Please help me get what i need onto my USB flash drive! Thanks Feel free to IM me if you prefer.
post #36 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

I just bought a new reciever and cannot figure out the readme instructions.

...

Please help me get what i need onto my USB flash drive! Thanks Feel free to IM me if you prefer.

What version of software is on the System Info screen today? Look for USDTV logos when starting and on the Sys Info page. You need to determine if you have a subscription or FTA box. After that, we can go from there.
post #37 of 77
It is a brand new box - and must be subscription because it always asks to scan for channels and then says no USDTV channels were found. I can not get to any System screens or any other screen.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain View Post

Anyone ever have a problem with their box just refusing to turn on at all? We have had 3 boxes in the family for at least a couple years. All were updated to the newest firmware last fall and worked pretty well.

This month 2 of the three now refuse to turn on at all. Both indicator lights on the right remain red. They cannot be turned on using the remote nor using the button on the face of the boxes. They have been unplugged and plugged back in with no luck.

I could see one box breaking b/c of something internally, but two at the same time? Is there any other way to "trick" the box into turning on? Perhaps someone else has had a similar problem and found an easy fix?

Thanks!

Fool, I have exact same problem as I posted before you. No one seems to know the fix. I'm holding on to the unit as I don't think its broken.

Since then, I got another one from eBay. I'm finally getting around to setting it up this morning as is. I still don't understand how to retrieve the firmware upgrade.
post #39 of 77
Ok, I figured out how to rtieve firmware. I saved it on my harddrive for the time being until I find a zipdrive to transfer it to.

Going back to my older USDigital that quit working (only red pwr light), I'm wondering if its a remote code problem. However, if thats the case, the unit won't work even when you press the pwr button right on the unit.

Does anyone by chance know what might be wrong? Help would be appreciated.
post #40 of 77
bookmark
post #41 of 77
Good luck getting it onto your USB zipdisk and having it work. I am good with computers and I cant get it to work. No one here wants to help either.
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

Good luck getting it onto your USB zipdisk and having it work. I am good with computers and I cant get it to work. No one here wants to help either.

I'm sorry but updating a box isn't that difficult. All the answers are in this thread. Of course if your box is having strange issues, it may be a while to get an answer.

I followed the link to get the firmware file for windows, put it on a usb key and followed the instructions in the readme.txt file. I believe it says put the key in the back of the unit, pull the plug and plug it back in, then it updates itself. I've done this 4 times now without issue. Hope that helps!
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

I just bought a new reciever and cannot figure out the readme instructions.

- Unzip the contents to a directory

- Open a command prompt

- cd to

- Plug in at least a 16MB USB stick.

- Note what drive letter was assigned to the USB stick.

- Run the command: "dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\put_usb_drive_letter_here:"

- For example, if the USB is drive g:, then run "dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\g:"

- Unplug your USDTV box.

- Plug in the USB key.

- Plug the USDTV box back in.

- Wait. When completed, unplug the box, the USB stick and plug the box back in.



Please help me get what i need onto my USB flash drive! Thanks Feel free to IM me if you prefer.

True it shouldnt be that hard but, not one seems to want to explain my original question above. What the hell is "cd to " specifically.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

True it shouldnt be that hard but, not one seems to want to explain my original question above. What the hell is "cd to " specifically.

I believe that would be whatever directory you used in the first step.

Here's what I did; I went here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14424130, followed the link and grabbed the file called usdtvUpdate295ForWindowsFAT.zip, extracted it to a thumbdrive and and followed the reame.txt directions.

Do you have such an old version of firmware that you need to make the file yourself?
post #45 of 77
cd = Change directory
is the directory you created to unzip the file contents into
post #46 of 77
Yes I need to make it my self. It is still a subscription box. I figured meant the directory, but I just cant get it to work. Do I need the < > ?
post #47 of 77
You shouldn't - just make a directory (MD foo)
unzip file into the directory foo
fire up a dos prompt
probably sitting in c:\\windows
cd\\ -to change to c:
c:
c:CD foo
C:/foo

and go from there
post #48 of 77
You lost me in all this:
cd\\ -to change to c:
c:
c:CD foo
C:/foo

I unzipped the files to E:\\dd293
Is it possible for someone to give me an exact step by step what to type in Dos Prompt?
Also what is the dd.exe file in there for? Do I need to click on it? Nothing I do works. Thx
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

You lost me in all this:
cd\\ -to change to c:
c:
c:CD foo
C:/foo

I unzipped the files to E:\\dd293
Is it possible for someone to give me an exact step by step what to type in Dos Prompt?
Also what is the dd.exe file in there for? Do I need to click on it? Nothing I do works. Thx

Exact Step by Step for DD Instructions

- Put at least a 16MB USB Flash Drive Into the Computer
- (I will assume it is drive G
- Unzip the contents of the zip file to a folder of your choice (I will assume you used C:\ emp)
- Click Start > Run
- Type cmd
- Press Enter
- Type C:
- Press Enter
- Type cd \ emp
- Press Enter
- Type dd.exe if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\G:
- Press Enter
- Wait for correct bytes in / bytes out to show
- Unplug your USDTV box.
- Plug in the USB key.
- Plug the USDTV box back in.
- Watch as it loads the new firmware (will take several minutes and show on the screen what it is doing)
- Wait. When completed, unplug the box, the USB stick and plug the box back in.
post #50 of 77
Thx for finally helping me with some easy to follow directions! It appeared to actually write to the drive, but the light never did stop flashing and when I put it in the USDTV box it just flashes twice like always, and nothing happens. I think I have a wal mart box or something.
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowanudist View Post

Thx for finally helping me with some easy to follow directions! It appeared to actually write to the drive, but the light never did stop flashing and when I put it in the USDTV box it just flashes twice like always, and nothing happens. I think I have a wal mart box or something.

How big is the USB key that you are using. The DD method would probably work best with an exactly 16 MB usb flash drive. I have never tried it myself.
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg69 View Post

If you have the same problem as jtbs, then you have a brand new box straight from the Hisense factory in China. You can tell if you have diagnostic/test software by seeing if the box asks you questions like:

- press the X button
- is the green light on
- now is the red light on
- do you see X on the screen
- etc....

Those are not the exact questions, but something like that. This is the initial software developed by USD and given to Hisense to put on at the factory in China. I can only speculate that USD did not want to let the real firmware out of their possession. So, they gave the manufacturer a simple test firmware. You need special firmware to fix this problem.

You can either IM me in this special case or send it back to whoever you bought it from.


Hello Dogleg69;
I've tried through out this forum to see whether I could get any instructions for this specific problem. I IM'd you as well. Please help me to fix this uint, I can't send the unit back to seller as it was sold AS-IS on ebay.

jtbs, ftdkn;
Have you able to flash your test firmware?

Thank you and help is much appreciated.
post #53 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmie View Post

Hello Dogleg69;
I've tried through out this forum to see whether I could get any instructions for this specific problem. I IM'd you as well. Please help me to fix this uint, I can't send the unit back to seller as it was sold AS-IS on ebay.

jtbs, ftdkn;
Have you able to flash your test firmware?

Thank you and help is much appreciated.

Answer on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post15605034

Solution is available if anyone is having the same problems.
post #54 of 77
hi, just a quick question, i have a hisense db 2020 reciever with 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) system software. it seems to work fine picking up most channels. my question is what does the software upgrade do for my reciever? thx
post #55 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizcan79 View Post

hi, just a quick question, i have a hisense db 2020 reciever with 2.7.15(2.4.18-15) system software. it seems to work fine picking up most channels. my question is what does the software upgrade do for my reciever? thx

You can read all the details of the release notes at:

http://www.mediafire.com/dogleg69

A summary is:


2.9.5 - 2008-10-13
-----

- Fix/Add magic sequences for people without orginal remote.


2.9.4 - 2008-08-07
-----

- Add Timers (allows you to hook up a VCR or DVD-RW and change channels).
- Keep the EPG information upto date while box is off.
- Turn off automatic channel rescanning.
- Only get the time from the channel set in the Set up System Time UI.

2.9.3 - 2008-03-17
-----

- Update the /usr/share/zoneinfo files with the new DST rules. Fixes the daylight saving time issue.


2.9.2 - 2008-01-29
-----

- Expose the diagnostic, revert/toggle NAND flash and nightly update menus.
- Comment out the auto software update (therefore we shouldn't need the nighty update menu).


2.9.1 - 2006-05-22
-----

Last known release before all of the USDTV engineers were let go because of bankrupcty. Do not know the difference between 2.7.15 (last offical release) and 2.9.1.



So, the main things are timers, fixing daylight savings time and keeping better system time.
post #56 of 77
Have a USDTV box version 2.7.15. for about two years. Has worked great until about a month ago. Takes sometimes 30 minuets or more to receive most local digital channels without the picture cutting out to Channel XX is off the air, Check Antenna Then most channels are fine with a few pixilations now and then. The broadcast towers are in a cluster 8 miles away. The strange thing is that I usually can receive the only PBS station that is on 10 VHF and a local NBC sub channel that is the Weather Pulse. The main NBC channel drops out. The signal strength meter reads bouncing anywhere from 0 to 95%.
Have an outdoor antenna to receiving my signal and just replaced it with a Clearstream C2 hoping that would fix my problem. Also have an older TV in a bedroom that runs off a JVC dvd-vcr with digital tuner using the same antenna that has had no problem receiving anything.
My question is has anyone had a similar problem?
Is their a known fix? Or is my box on its way out?
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavCorn View Post

I loaded the 294 firmware (windows version). It seams to have broken the ability to change the resolution/output connector with the guide/aspect/guide/# key-presses. Anyone else notice this. Same thing happens with a HT-7012 box. If someone else could check theirs, I'd appreciate it. I love the update. The scheduling feature is especially appreciated. I'm pretty new to this forum, I hope this hasn't been addresses already.

Also, I have been trying to sell a number of the DB-2010 boxes in the northern Utah region, with no luck . Is $45 too much? I seams that people here do not realize the value of these boxes, or they just have too much money and waste it on cable. Anyone have any suggestions on how to sell them.

Considering the original cost to buy one at Wal-Mart was only $20 and electronics only depreciate in value, $45 is a lot of money to ask for one of these. Then add shipping to the deal? Deal breaker. Sorry.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilresendez View Post

Considering the original cost to buy one at Wal-Mart was only $20...



Where did you come up with that? The non-subscription boxes from Wal-Mart originally went for $300.00.
post #59 of 77
nevermind finally figured it out
post #60 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihoodoo View Post

nevermind finally figured it out

orig - was:

i have a usdtv that i got from walmart at a Oregon store years ago it still works good but i have software 2.5.61 (2.4.18-7)
i am having problems getting the pre 2.7.15 file dd293.zip first of all i cannot get it to unzip to only way to unzip is foo also where do i put this folder any help would be a big help also i am having problems with command prompt
C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>CD TO FOO
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>C:\\
'C:\\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>C:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>C:\\FOO
'C:\\FOO' is not recognized as an internal or external command
operable program or batch file.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\E:
'dd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>cd to
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>dd if=x293.dd of=\\\\.\\e:
'dd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\brad>

Glad you figured it out. My apologies for putting in the directions. I incorrectly thought that people would understand that the less than and greater than means "replace with the directory you unzipped the file into" and that foo is a common term in programming. My bad on that.

Again, my apologies for the confusion. I'm glad you were able to get if fixed though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Hisense USDTV db2010 Digital Tuner