or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

so how is the new beta driver's working for everyone?

Working fine for me using rcTVCap to record. No problems.
post #332 of 3814
AC3 5.1 & 2.0 works perfectly for me with the new drivers but another longstanding problem has gotten worse. I use 3 of these with Sage and occasionally one of them would stop responding and the recording will fail. If I was watching the recording live Sage would give a "No Signal" error. To correct this, I would simply power cycle the offending unit by the front power button.

Since upgrading to the beta driver this problem has increased tenfold in frequency and the additional symptoms where Windows starts telling me that that a the offending unit is a hi-speed USB device connected to a lo-speed port, and the device starts connecting and disconnecting from Windows itself has started happening occasionally. The only way to get everything working is to reboot the PC and power cycle the HD-PVR's by unplugging them.

All my USB ports are hi-speed ports, BTW.

S
post #333 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

Works great for me, but I don't use the ArcSoft software.

what software are you using to burn avchd discs??
post #334 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

what software are you using to burn avchd discs??

I don't burn anything...
post #335 of 3814
So, the other day I was attempting to watch a Blu-ray disc using PowerDVD, and it immediately crapped out telling me that I didn't have HDCP support. I went to the Cyberlink advisor, and it told me the same thing, that my DVI connection did not have HDCP support.

Now, I have an Nvidia 8400GS, which has HDCP support, and in the past, I have been able to watch Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles with no problem. What is even stranger is at some point in the past, I had a similar issue where for no apparent reason (I hadn't installed any new software, but it might have been caused by a Windows system update) my HDCP was apparently broken. I tried reinstalling PowerDVD and updating the video drivers only to find that the only way I could get HDCP working again was to do a system restore back to the point before Cyberlink started crapping out on me.

So, that's why I'm not exactly sure it is the new beta driver that is causing the problem. What I am certain of, however, is that I did a system restore back to the point right after installing the beta driver, and HDCP still doesn't work. I have heard of issues where multichannel soundcards can affect HDCP video cards. I spent about 4 hours last night trying to fix the problem before I gave up and switched over to an analog VGA connection. At this point, I think the most likely candidate is the updated Hauppauge driver, but if anyone has another theory for why HDCP just suddenly stopped working, I'm all ears. Like I said, it wasn't the first time this happened.
post #336 of 3814
I need some help. This thing needs to be hooked to a pc correct? Its not just like a PVR tivo like system that you plug into your sat box? And control it on the tv?
post #337 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

I need some help. This thing needs to be hooked to a pc correct? Its not just like a PVR tivo like system that you plug into your sat box? And control it on the tv?

Correct.
post #338 of 3814
I just received and installed my 1212 vD1 today, it works fine but I have a problem with the Titantv remote scheduler. It won't come up all the way on my Dell XPS 420/ sony HDTV system. Not enough of the scheduler appears on my screen to do anything with it. Any solutions?
post #339 of 3814
Until the new version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme is available you can not burn AVCHD disks with 5.1 audio.
Audio encoded with 5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.

But here is a method I have experimented with and works as follows:

1. Capture 5.1 audio & video with Hauppauge beta driver.
2. Use Arcsoft TME to author AVCHD to hard disc.
5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.
3. Download the free Tsmuxer program from http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
4. Install Tsmuxer and convert the captured TS files to M2TS format.
5. Rename the converted M2TS files as 00000, 00001, 00002, .........
6. Copy renamed files to replace the files in STREAM directory of BDMV structure generated by TME with the AC3 2 channel audio.
7. Burn BDMV structure to DVD with ImgBurn(free) from http://www.imgburn.com/
post #340 of 3814
Can anyone recommend a program that will easily cut out the commercials? There's a bunch listed in the beta driver release, not sure which one will do that without being too complicated.
post #341 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

Until the new version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme is available you can not burn AVCHD disks with 5.1 audio.
Audio encoded with 5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.

But here is a method I have experimented with and works as follows:

1. Capture 5.1 audio & video with Hauppauge beta driver.
2. Use Arcsoft TME to author AVCHD to hard disc.
5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.
3. Download the free Tsmuxer program from http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
4. Install Tsmuxer and convert the captured TS files to M2TS format.
5. Rename the converted M2TS files as 00000, 00001, 00002, .........
6. Copy renamed files to replace the files in STREAM directory of BDMV structure generated by TME with the AC3 2 channel audio.
7. Burn BDMV structure to DVD with ImgBurn(free) from http://www.imgburn.com/

Just to be sure, are you getting discreet 5.1 on the avchd disc or just matrixed 5.1?
post #342 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

Until the new version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme is available you can not burn AVCHD disks with 5.1 audio.
Audio encoded with 5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.

But here is a method I have experimented with and works as follows:

1. Capture 5.1 audio & video with Hauppauge beta driver.
2. Use Arcsoft TME to author AVCHD to hard disc.
5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio.
3. Download the free Tsmuxer program from http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
4. Install Tsmuxer and convert the captured TS files to M2TS format.
5. Rename the converted M2TS files as 00000, 00001, 00002, .........
6. Copy renamed files to replace the files in STREAM directory of BDMV structure generated by TME with the AC3 2 channel audio.
7. Burn BDMV structure to DVD with ImgBurn(free) from http://www.imgburn.com/

I think you are making this more complicated than you need to. I was playing with TSMuxer tonight and all I had to do to create an AVCHD disk that would play on my PS3 with 5.1 sound (verified) is to load the captured TS file into TSmuxer then select Blu-Ray as the output type.

Take the folders created by TSmuxer and burn to a DVD using UDF 2.5 (be sure to set it to 2.5 - I was using Nero and default was not 2.5, but 1. something)

In TSMuxer you can automatically set up chapter points, or specify by time. There are no menus - but I don't care for any anyway.

Plays great on my PS3.

I also had great success using TS Muxer to create a M2TS file that streamed to the PS3 using TVersity.

Good luck.
post #343 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

I think you are making this more complicated than you need to. I was playing with TSMuxer tonight and all I had to do to create an AVCHD disk that would play on my PS3 with 5.1 sound (verified) is to load the captured TS file into TSmuxer then select Blu-Ray as the output type.

Take the folders created by TSmuxer and burn to a DVD using UDF 2.5 (be sure to set it to 2.5 - I was using Nero and default was not 2.5, but 1. something)

In TSMuxer you can automatically set up chapter points, or specify by time. There are no menus - but I don't care for any anyway.

Plays great on my PS3.

I also had great success using TS Muxer to create a M2TS file that streamed to the PS3 using TVersity.

Good luck.

There are no menus with TSMuxer.
If you need a real BDMV with menus wait for the new TME,
in the mean time use the method I have used if you cannot wait.
post #344 of 3814
Cool work around for menus. I should have made it clearer that Tsmuxer does not make them. It's a great program for quick and easy AVCHD discs though and I'd like to thank the posters above for the suggestion.

I think it needs to be emphasised that the DVD needs to be burned using UDF 2.5 . I didn't do that at first and had trouble playing my disc.
post #345 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansell View Post

Cool work around for menus. I should have made it clearer that Tsmuxer does not make them. It's a great program for quick and easy AVCHD discs though and I'd like to thank the posters above for the suggestion.

I think it needs to be emphasised that the DVD needs to be burned using UDF 2.5 . I didn't do that at first and had trouble playing my disc.

what kind of troubles, all this talk got me interested, and I created a blu-ray with tsmuxer and copied the folders to a DVD and it wanted to play, but wouldn't quite work.

PowerDVD showed Green Screen with Audio, ArcSoft started playing w/no Audio and then it would just go black, skipping forward to another chapter would get the video back and then it would go black again. I tried just playing the m2ts file from the DVD with PowerDVD and it appeared to play it fine, ArcSoft said it didn't support an m2ts file. I just burned the disk from the Vista menu, would UDF 2.5 probably fix these problems?

Edit: Also I'm using the OEM version of PowerDVD that came with the LG HDDVD/Blu-ray drive, and the version of TME that came with the HD-PVR
post #346 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

what kind of troubles, all this talk got me interested, and I created a blu-ray with tsmuxer and copied the folders to a DVD and it wanted to play, but wouldn't quite work.

I only tried playing it with my PS3. It recognized it as an AVCHD disc, but when trying to play, it gave up before even showing anything with a message "unable to play disc". Turns out Nero was buring as UDF 1.2 or something like that. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Re-burning as UDF 2.5 played without a hitch on the PS3.
post #347 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post

AC3 5.1 & 2.0 works perfectly for me with the new drivers but another longstanding problem has gotten worse. I use 3 of these with Sage and occasionally one of them would stop responding and the recording will fail. If I was watching the recording live Sage would give a "No Signal" error. To correct this, I would simply power cycle the offending unit by the front power button.

Since upgrading to the beta driver this problem has increased tenfold in frequency and the additional symptoms where Windows starts telling me that that a the offending unit is a hi-speed USB device connected to a lo-speed port, and the device starts connecting and disconnecting from Windows itself has started happening occasionally. The only way to get everything working is to reboot the PC and power cycle the HD-PVR's by unplugging them.
S

I believe the new drivers activate a 5.1 chip which was previously dormant. This could contribute to overheating. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on this, but I have heard that and it makes sense. I also had only very rare signal losses with the original drivers, but it happened a lot more frequently with the new drivers so that (along with many other problems) caused me to just RMA my unit. Note my unit was a C2 (and before that my original C1 would only record for about a minute before having to power cycle).

The HD-PVR hardware is not reliable. Is it always the same unit? If so I'd call Hauppauge for an RMA and hope you have better luck with the next one.
post #348 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post

The HD-PVR hardware is not reliable.

The HD-PVR hardware has never not been reliable for me.

Or rather, it has performed flawlessly for me. Beta 5.1 drivers and all.
post #349 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post

The HD-PVR hardware is not reliable.

The only issue I have is with the IR blaster. Using Firewire to change channels instead, the HD-PVR performs flawlessly for me and I have one from the first batch shipped.
post #350 of 3814
I'm having a problem with my HD-PVR that I've been unable to resolve. Regular lock ups of the box occur, often when I've had a computer problem, reloaded software or sometimes even after a power failure.

To get the HD-PVR to work again it must be power cycled. I've had to cycle the power probably 50 times since I purchased the box last summer.

Since I've been running beta versions of Beyond TV I've been very patient with the problem, but last night after a power failure, the HD-PVR did not recover and again had to be physically powered off and on. This has also occurred with the Arcsoft application, but I rarely use it so haven't seen it often.

Anyone else having this problem, or do I have defective hardware?
post #351 of 3814
Since going to final 5.1 drivers I've been running 24/7 (rctvcap) since fri morning when I installed those drivers. If you are having that many lockups requiring a power cycle I think it might be time for an RMA. When I was on the beta I was having very similar lockups but maybe only once every 24-48 hrs (which is still way too much).
post #352 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

Since going to final 5.1 drivers I've been running 24/7 (rctvcap) since fri morning when I installed those drivers. If you are having that many lockups requiring a power cycle I think it might be time for an RMA. When I was on the beta I was having very similar lockups but maybe only once every 24-48 hrs (which is still way too much).

I'm beginning to realize I've probably had small glitches ever since I've had the unit, they don't really cause any problems with the original .ts file, but if you re-encode they can create lip sync problems, I never could figure out what was going on. But on some shows, very random and a pretty small pct, my recordings will skip a beat.

I've been reading ISO/IEC 13818-1 until my head hurts, but all the streams reset their continuity counters at random times during some of my recordings. Like I said the original .ts won't really have problems because of the Time stamps that are inserted in the program stream, but when I demux and re-encode the videos the sync will sneak in.

Dr1394 on this forum and drmpeg on doom9 has a program xport that will check out streams for discontinuities and I'm finding a few here and there. It drives me buggy when I get those small lip sync problems, usually around .1 seconds, I keep trying to figure out if it's off or not.

Edit: I should also add that I'm not sure that the problem isn't caused by the feed into the box, I use Directv component out and it may just have a drop of signal that actually causes the HDPVR glitch.
post #353 of 3814
For those of you having trouble getting recordings to stream to your ps3 (like I was) you can go to this link: "www.jamespurl.org/node/11" (sorry I don't have enough posts to place a hyperlink) to get things working properly. I like to put all my videos and music on a Lacie 1TB NAS to stream my media. It worked like a charm for me.
post #354 of 3814
Any word on possible support for Vista Media Center?
post #355 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Any word on possible support for Vista Media Center?

That would be nice, especially since I still can't get the stupid schedualer to work.
post #356 of 3814
Hi guys!

My cable company here in Switzerland has switched to a set top box that can't put out a composite or s-video signal. There's no HD yet, just SD. The only output it offers is an RGB Scart output, which I can't convert to a signal my ATI 550 Theater Pro is able to process. So I need to find a way of dealing with an RGB signal. Enter new Hauppauge box.

The question is, can I run it on my system?

I run SageTV under XP-sp3 on a Northwood 2.8 gig HT system, 1gig RAM, Radeon 9500 (128mb). So no dual core here and only 128mb on my graphics card. But then again, I'm not trying to watch 1080 or even a 720 stream - all I can get (for now) is SD stuff. Am I going to be OK with one of these units?

BTW, I was looking at getting one of those Sweetspot/PDI deluxe cards until I saw this - but this seems like a much better choice for the same money. In particular, the Sweetspot cards don't work well with SageTV, and though I'm an old Dscaler guy, I would miss time shifting, EPGs and a lot of other nice features of SageTV. Also, the Sweetspot cards can't handle an HD stream, whereas as this one would have me future-proofed, so that I could use the box with a HD signal on a more powerful system.

What say?
post #357 of 3814
Grrrrr! I guess that's what I get for buying a used 1212 on ebay, but it didn't come with the software CD. I downloaded TME from the Arcsoft site but from the screen caps that I've seen it doesn't seem to have some of the options as the version that ships with the 1212 . Is there any place to download the software CD that ships with the 1212?

TIA,

Bruce...
post #358 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem3 View Post

Grrrrr! I guess that's what I get for buying a used 1212 on ebay, but it didn't come with the software CD. I downloaded TME from the Arcsoft site but from the screen caps that I've seen it doesn't seem to have some of the options as the version that ships with the 1212 . Is there any place to download the software CD that ships with the 1212?

TIA,

Bruce...

Some pieces (drivers, scheduler) can be downloaded from Hauppauge's site (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html), but that does not include Arcsoft.
post #359 of 3814
Hauppauge has updated the support site with a new driver and an update to TME which supports creating AVCHD disks with 5.1 Dolby...

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html
post #360 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicspell View Post

Hauppauge has updated the support site with a new driver and an update to TME which supports creating AVCHD disks with 5.1 Dolby...

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html

Lovely update, crashes immediately and won't let me do a re-install.
Bad enough the scheduler won't come up, now this thing won't work at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread