or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 13

post #361 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Lovely update, crashes immediately and won't let me do a re-install.
Bad enough the scheduler won't come up, now this thing won't work at all.

It's the TME update.
post #362 of 3814
I am running XP SP3 with a ASUS AH3450 graphics card and a revision C2 HAUPPAUGE 1212 HD PVR box that I purchased last month after surround sound beta drivers were posted. It seemed to work OK for the most part. I updated to the 1.1 drivers when they came out. It seemed to work about the same. Today I updated to the 2.0 drivers and then installed the totalmediaextreme_1.0.9.4_1.0.9.5_update and rebooted as instructed. The TME record program studdered and locked up the display. I quit TME and I tried using Graphedit to make a recording and that did not work at all. This led me to think the 2.0 driver was the problem. So I downgraded to the 1.1 driver and the the PVR box locked up with all three lights stuck on. I pulled out the power cord from the PVR box and the box reset. Now things seem to be working OK. This leads me to believe that the driver is the problem or maybe the PVR box needs to have the power removed and replaced to reset it. I will stay with the 1.1 driver for now unless I find out the 2.0 driver adds some improvements yet to be disclosed.
post #363 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricpotatoe View Post

I am running XP SP3 with a ASUS AH3450 graphics card and a revision C2 HAUPPAUGE 1212 HD PVR box that I purchased last month after surround sound beta drivers were posted. It seemed to work OK for the most part. I updated to the 1.1 drivers when they came out. It seemed to work about the same. Today I updated to the 2.0 drivers and then installed the totalmediaextreme_1.0.9.4_1.0.9.5_update and rebooted as instructed. The TME record program studdered and locked up the display. I quit TME and I tried using Graphedit to make a recording and that did not work at all. This led me to think the 2.0 driver was the problem. So I downgraded to the 1.1 driver and the the PVR box locked up with all three lights stuck on. I pulled out the power cord from the PVR box and the box reset. Now things seem to be working OK. This leads me to believe that the driver is the problem or maybe the PVR box needs to have the power removed and replaced to reset it. I will stay with the 1.1 driver for now unless I find out the 2.0 driver adds some improvements yet to be disclosed.

Try uninstalling everything and start from scratch. This worked for me.

Here's a copy of my post from the other thread with my experiences tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemeeich View Post

My experiences with new drivers/software.

Tonight, I first installed just the TME upgrade by itself. I got a couple of pop-ups saying that some folders containing files that needed to be replaced were locked and asking how to proceed (ignore, replace, etc.) I clicked what I thought would replace them. I was able to successfully burn a disk with 5.1 audio. Then I tried to do a new capture. This had stopped working. The preview would be fine, but as soon as I clicked "Capture" the counter started, the preview would go black, and nothing would be recorded. When I clicked stop, a message saying "capture failed" came up. Apparently those files never got upgraded.

Next I tried installing the new 2.0 drivers. Same issues with capturing.

Next I uninstalled TME completely. I then installed the 2.0 driver that I downloaded tonight. Next I put in the original install disk that came with the unit. I only installed the software from the disk (Step 2). Then I applied the TME software upgrade.

Now everything works perfectly. Captures work fine, the first couple of disks that I burned seem to be good.

As other people have said, the default file type is M2TS. It doesn't remember if you change it to TS. I use MPC Home Cinema to play files on my computer. It doesn't have any audio when playing M2TS files. (I'm sure just a codec issue - currently using CoreAVC and AC3filter) I did find that if a file is created as a M2TS, and you change the extension to just TS, the file then just plays fine in MPC Home Cinema.

Michael
post #364 of 3814
I see the 1.1 driver is back up on the site.
post #365 of 3814
Ok I think i`m a little uneducated here. Does this thing allow you to record hd from a sat box puts it on your pc and then able to send it out to either a xbox360 or back through the 1212 out to the original tv? No need for any other sort of streamer or extender?
post #366 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

Ok I think i`m a little uneducated here. Does this thing allow you to record hd from a sat box puts it on your pc and then able to send it out to either a xbox360 or back through the 1212 out to the original tv? No need for any other sort of streamer or extender?

you record using this device connected to a PC, You would playback using a PC or some other device, not the PVR itself. as far as the 360 I cant comment on, but as long as it can play transport streams I would assume so.
post #367 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

you record using this device connected to a PC, You would playback using a PC or some other device, not the PVR itself. as far as the 360 I cant comment on, but as long as it can play transport streams I would assume so.

So do you hook this upto a pc via component out or ethernet?
post #368 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

So do you hook this upto a pc via component out or ethernet?

neither, it connects to a PC via USB.
post #369 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

neither, it connects to a PC via USB.

Ah my bad I had this and something else crossed up. Ok what does the video loop do? Why is there a component out?

Nevermind found answer
post #370 of 3814
Can this unit record content to your pc and then send out via sagetv or xbox360 to a tv? Anyone?
post #371 of 3814
I am getting Microsoft Visual C++ runtime errors and the program terminates when I try to open a folder within the Total Media Extreme program to get a video file for playback or to use to create a disc. This makes the ArcSoft software useless except to capture video. I don't know for sure if this is a new problem for me since I have been using Graphedit and tsMuxer. tsMuxer causes sync issues and I want to be able to cut out commercials so I tried the ArcSoft software. I tried uninstalling all the TME programs and reinstalling without the recent update and I still have the same problem. Anybody have a similar problem or a possible solution?

I am running XP SP3 32 bit and my PVR is a C2 revision.

If I can't find a solution I may just send this thing back and wait for the hardware and software to mature, but I would like to straighten out the bugs if possible.

Thanks
Bill
post #372 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricpotatoe View Post

I am getting Microsoft Visual C++ runtime errors and the program terminates when I try to open a folder within the Total Media Extreme program to get a video file for playback or to use to create a disc. This makes the ArcSoft software useless except to capture video. I don't know for sure if this is a new problem for me since I have been using Graphedit and tsMuxer. tsMuxer causes sync issues and I want to be able to cut out commercials so I tried the ArcSoft software. I tried uninstalling all the TME programs and reinstalling without the recent update and I still have the same problem. Anybody have a similar problem or a possible solution?

I am running XP SP3 32 bit and my PVR is a C2 revision.

If I can't find a solution I may just send this thing back and wait for the hardware and software to mature, but I would like to straighten out the bugs if possible.

Thanks
Bill

I have no idea about the TME C++ runtime errors, but I'm curious as to the process you are using to cut commercials that is causing you to have sync errors.
post #373 of 3814
I figured out my C++ runtime crash problem. I renamed C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Videos where the program went to by default to C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Old Videos and then made a new folder called C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Videos and moved only the files made with the HD PVR into it. Then it did not crash. It did not like something that was there, possibly a thumbnail.db as it defaults to showing thumbnails instead of file details.

I use TSCutter to remove unwanted video. The sync problem between picture and sound happens if there are any glitches in the captured file. So far this is the best way for me until I can get TME to work better.

I got an TME update from ArcSoft tonight from the auto update online. Now I can't use the update posted on the Hauppauge web as it tells me I have the wrong version. I don't know how to tell what version I have. Is ther a way to tell?

I tried making my first Disc using ArcSoft tonight, but the program crashed.
It looks like there are still more issues to be resolved...
post #374 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricpotatoe View Post

I figured out my C++ runtime crash problem. I renamed C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Videos where the program went to by default to C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Old Videos and then made a new folder called C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\My Videos and moved only the files made with the HD PVR into it. Then it did not crash. It did not like something that was there, possibly a thumbnail.db as it defaults to showing thumbnails instead of file details.

I use TSCutter to remove unwanted video. The sync problem between picture and sound happens if there are any glitches in the captured file. So far this is the best way for me until I can get TME to work better.

I got an TME update from ArcSoft tonight from the auto update online. Now I can't use the update posted on the Hauppauge web as it tells me I have the wrong version. I don't know how to tell what version I have. Is ther a way to tell?

I tried making my first Disc using ArcSoft tonight, but the program crashed.
It looks like there are still more issues to be resolved...

I've suffered from the glitches also, I wrote a little program, that is very specific and may not work, it will demux the audio and pad it when it thinks the audio is behind the video(or ahead depending on how you look at it), it makes a little chirp when it inserts, but it usually keeps the audio and video in sync. I encode my captures, but it's the same problem, the audio and video usually stays in sync in the original ts file, but any cutting usually exposes the problem.

I'd be interested if it works for anyone else, I can upload it if you want to give it a try, it will demux the ac3 or aac audio, then you can mux this back in to the original ts and use it for the audio track instead of the original.
post #375 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I've suffered from the glitches also, I wrote a little program, that is very specific and may not work, it will demux the audio and pad it when it thinks the audio is behind the video(or ahead depending on how you look at it), it makes a little chirp when it inserts, but it usually keeps the audio and video in sync. I encode my captures, but it's the same problem, the audio and video usually stays in sync in the original ts file, but any cutting usually exposes the problem.

I'd be interested if it works for anyone else, I can upload it if you want to give it a try, it will demux the ac3 or aac audio, then you can mux this back in to the original ts and use it for the audio track instead of the original.

I bought VideoRedo which does a great job with non h.264 .ts video files. They are working on support for h.264 and when that happens I think that will solve my editing problems with h.264. I have found that setting my cable box to output 720P instead of 1080i has made files that I can cut cleaner with tsCutter. Also I use the simple GOP mode, although I have not tried other settings. If you want to post your utility somewhere I might give it a try it on my next "problem" file.

I found a way to find what version of TME I have. If I put the mouse cursor over the TMExtreme.exe file in windows explorer a pop up window shows among other things that I am running file version 1.0.9.5.

Now I need to find out why TME crashes when trying to make a disc.
post #376 of 3814
After uninstalling re-booting, testing and reinstalling the ArcSoft software that came with the HD PVR and the 1.0.9.5 update I have found that the update is crashing the TME Disc creation/burning application with my XP setup. So in my case the Hauppauge 2.0 firmware update and the ArcSoft 1.0.9.5 were both a bust. I am disappointed since the main reason I bought this device was to make Blu-Ray compatible discs for my PS3 with both HD and 5.1 surround sound. I would like to send the Dr. Watson crash files to either Hauppauge or ArcSoft so that maybe they can find and squash the bugs. If there is a representative from either company monitoring this form please PM me and I will send the data to you so that you can improve the product.

Thanks
post #377 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricpotatoe View Post

I bought VideoRedo which does a great job with non h.264 .ts video files. They are working on support for h.264 and when that happens I think that will solve my editing problems with h.264. I have found that setting my cable box to output 720P instead of 1080i has made files that I can cut cleaner with tsCutter. Also I use the simple GOP mode, although I have not tried other settings. If you want to post your utility somewhere I might give it a try it on my next "problem" file.

I found a way to find what version of TME I have. If I put the mouse cursor over the TMExtreme.exe file in windows explorer a pop up window shows among other things that I am running file version 1.0.9.5.

Now I need to find out why TME crashes when trying to make a disc.

The program is at:
http://www.rebkell.net/KLToolBox/PS_...S_analyzer.exe

it's really a raw interface, it's a hacked up program I found at codeproject the original source was located at: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/tra..._analyzer.aspx

Anyway, it has a clunky interface to select the file, when you get the file selected, and loaded, the default is 29.97 FPS w/AC3, you can change the fps and/or audio in the two drop down lists below the button entitled Create Synced AC3, this will create two files tsinfo.txt and another called MyAC3.ac3 or MyAC3.aac depending on what audio you selected.

It has worked for me, but I've only really used it for 1080i stuff w/AC3 audio. The object is to create an AC3 audio stream that should match the video and fill in any gaps it sees.
post #378 of 3814
Can you play the recorded files from the 1212 out from the pc to a external tv or do you need to use the video loop?
post #379 of 3814
I received a D2 unit from Amazon a few days ago. It came with the 1.1 drivers on a home-brew looking installation CD. Finally got a chance to try to get it up and running today.

Installed on Vista Ultimate 64, E6750 CPU, 4GB RAM, ATI HD3850 (8.11 drivers).

I initially tried the 2.0 drivers and the updated TME. I got a mish-mash of choppy preview video, black capture screens, or outright crashes of the capture application. Crashes were the most prevalent. Downgraded to 1.1 and the shipped version of TME. Still crashed.

I was just about to install XP on a separate partition, but decided to try one more time. I un-installed everything, and just installed the 1.1 driver and TME. I can now successfully capture video from within TME.

Problem is, I can't get it to playback. Clicking on TMT (either via the Start menu or from within TME) does nothing. I tried playing back the .TS file from Media Player Classic, but it won't play properly. I get a mostly blocky picture at the top, and gray screen at the bottom. Codec problem, I assume?

Can anyone offer advice to help with the playback? Thanks!

Edit: I installed a newer version of Haali Media Splitter, and can now view the .ts files from within Media Player Classic. Yay! Still can't get it to run from TME, though. It just won't start-up for me...
post #380 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

Can you play the recorded files from the 1212 out from the pc to a external tv or do you need to use the video loop?

Clipse, I already answered this question for you, you keep asking the same question differnet ways. This device records video, it is not a playack device.
post #381 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

Clipse, I already answered this question for you, you keep asking the same question differnet ways. This device records video, it is not a playack device.

Think I got the questions mixed up...

Once it records it does it put it to your pc which then can be outputted to a tv via media extender etc?
post #382 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post

Think I got the questions mixed up...

Once it records it does it put it to your pc which then can be outputted to a tv via media extender etc?


Yes, it makes a recording encoded to H264 .TS format. This file can be played back on any PC or extender that can decode this format.
post #383 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

I received a D2 unit from Amazon a few days ago. It came with the 1.1 drivers on a home-brew looking installation CD. Finally got a chance to try to get it up and running today.

Installed on Vista Ultimate 64, E6750 CPU, 4GB RAM, ATI HD3850 (8.11 drivers).

I initially tried the 2.0 drivers and the updated TME. I got a mish-mash of choppy preview video, black capture screens, or outright crashes of the capture application. Crashes were the most prevalent. Downgraded to 1.1 and the shipped version of TME. Still crashed.

I was just about to install XP on a separate partition, but decided to try one more time. I un-installed everything, and just installed the 1.1 driver and TME. I can now successfully capture video from within TME.

Problem is, I can't get it to playback. Clicking on TMT (either via the Start menu or from within TME) does nothing. I tried playing back the .TS file from Media Player Classic, but it won't play properly. I get a mostly blocky picture at the top, and gray screen at the bottom. Codec problem, I assume?

Can anyone offer advice to help with the playback? Thanks!

Edit: I installed a newer version of Haali Media Splitter, and can now view the .ts files from within Media Player Classic. Yay! Still can't get it to run from TME, though. It just won't start-up for me...

You may want to check your filter chain (e.g. with graphedit). MPC uses mostly internal filters, thus you get different results compared to TME.
post #384 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apap View Post

Yes, it makes a recording encoded to H264 .TS format. This file can be played back on any PC or extender that can decode this format.

Thank you very much! I`m new to the 1212 and extenders and I think I confused myself with what I was asking and wanted......
post #385 of 3814
What I'm really interested in doing is using this device to archive some programs I have on my Dish 622 DVR. I already have excellent playback of AVCHD from within PowerDVD 8 Ultra. I use it to play back material I've shot on my HD camcorder.

My concern is screwing up my really good HD playback by adding additional playback software and audio/video codecs. That's happened to me more times than I can count on other systems. I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit now.

Question is, can I install just the basic software with this Hauppauge device - allowing me to capture in AVCHD format and 5.1 audio, without installing a lot of extraneous stuff? I just want to do the capture, then use the other tools I already have to edit and create AVCHD folders for playback, and (most importantly) not screw up my other playback software.
post #386 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

Still can't get it to run from TME, though. It just won't start-up for me...

I had a similar situation but my system is very different from yours. By disabling hardware acceleration in one of the TME setup menus I was then able to play stuff back in TME "Theater", the third playback icon from the main menu.
post #387 of 3814
There aren't any setup menus in TME (that I've seen). I tried running the TME update, and now TMT will work. However, now the capture module crashes again (upon launch).
post #388 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

There aren't any setup menus in TME (that I've seen).

1. open TME
2. select third icon "Play video"
3. right click "total media theater" blue field anywhere
4. select "setup"
5. select "video" tab
6. make sure "enable hardware acceleration" is not checked

I don't know if this is your isssue but it helped my issue.

Good luck.
post #389 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

1. open TME
2. select third icon "Play video"
3. right click "total media theater" blue field anywhere
4. select "setup"
5. select "video" tab
6. make sure "enable hardware acceleration" is not checked

I don't know if this is your isssue but it helped my issue.

Good luck.

Thanks, I saw those menus. However, they are within TMT. That's my problem. TMT that ships with the PVR won't even launch, so I can't get to that menu. Updating to the newer rev allows TMT to launch, but crashes the capture module within TME. See my dilemma?

I'm thoroughly frustrated with Vista64, and am blowing away the partition as I type this. Installing XP and Vista32 as a dual-boot. Hopefully at least one of these will run the DVR properly...
post #390 of 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

Thanks, I saw those menus. However, they are within TMT. That's my problem. TMT that ships with the PVR won't even launch, so I can't get to that menu. Updating to the newer rev allows TMT to launch, but crashes the capture module within TME. See my dilemma?

I'm thoroughly frustrated with Vista64, and am blowing away the partition as I type this. Installing XP and Vista32 as a dual-boot. Hopefully at least one of these will run the DVR properly...

The recent software update would not work for me. I had to uninstall everything, then reinstall the 1.1 driver, and the "old" version of TME. Works fine now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread