Created an account just to post. These steps have previously worked for me. In fact Usually just removing the batteries and pressing the power button for 15 seconds then re-inserting batteries would work for me. Alas I went the full 9 yards several times and even went so far as to leave the tv unplugged for several minutes before continuing troubleshooting steps. I verified the remote is working as I turned on my digital camera phone and pointed it at the camera while pressing my power button on my tv remote. You can clearly see that flash being sent on the digi cam viewer screen. Which means My receiver is likely dead on the unit itself. It's about 2-3 years old now so out of warranty. Thankfully I use my tv mostly for my computer monitor as my 56". Instead of paying up the wazoos for repairs I thought outside the box. I downloaded a program called NirCmd for my 64 bit windows. Extracted the 3 files to my desktop then right-clicked and ran as admin the nircmd.exe. It copied to windows system folder and now my cmd (command line utility/DOS prompt) apparently has the ability to run all sorts of goodies! I tested by running a command "nircmd.exe screensaver". Bam right to blank screen! (black) I've got my screen saver set to 4 hours as I often watch tv in bed with my mouse beside me. My screen saver is set to plain black screen/nothing so when im ready to fall asleep i simply stop my streaming video, and click a shortcut on my desktop that automatically runs the cmd command and shuts off my monitor. to wake it back up simply move the mouse a little bit.
to create the click-able shortcut do the following after you've installed nircmd (free program)
1) right click desktop
2) new>text file, name the file anything you want, I called mine "Sleep"
3) click start button, type "folder options" in the "search programs and files" and click the one under the heading "control panel"
4) click view tab, change the radial button to "show hidden files, folders, or drives" and un-check the box for "hide extensions for known file types", click apply and close the window
5) open the text file you created on your desktop and type the following without the quotation marks opf coarse "nircmd.exe screensaver", click file save and close the text file
6) now change the file name extension from Sleep.txt to Sleep.bat
7) now go back to start button, type "folder options" in the "search programs and files" and click the one under the heading "control panel"
8) click view tab, change the radial button back to " don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" and re-check the box for "hide extensions for known file types", click apply and close the window
9) now simply double click the cogwheel (bat file) to shut your monitor off
to set your screen saver as blank, right click the desktop background anywhere and choose>personalize
in the lower right you should see "screen saver", click that and choose "none"
ive also got my logon screen disabled so alli do is move the mouse and it comes straight back into windows
Maybe a little off-topic but on the off chance anyone else is using their tv as a monitor I hope it helps someone else!