or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB - Page 36

post #1051 of 1093
I bought the S5400 HTIB 2011 model, receiver HTR590, and have exact same audio dropout issues. Yesterday night I had 6 dropouts with clicking sound on receiver in first 30 minutes of watching Unstoppable (through Vudu, streaming HD). During audio dropouts, video keeps going on. It is extremely frsutating experience and not easy to reproduce. happens at random. Analog days were so good Anything digital seem to have reliability issues due to buggy software/firmware.
post #1052 of 1093
The only audio drop out I seem to be expieriencing is randomly the subwoofer quits working the light is still blue like its on but no speaker output, I just unplug it and plug it back in an it starts working again and volume doe
post #1053 of 1093
Sorry for the last post ending I sneezed and hit a button on the phone and it posted before I was done. Volume not doa but is then ok again after reset
post #1054 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathermurphy View Post


How is it?

Yo. So I was in Best Buy the other day. Saw this open box.

Def Tech Mythos 3 center channel speaker.
Marked down to $267 from $550

So I Grabbed it. Because as any discerning listener who owns of the 9300 HTIB will learn. The speakers leave something to be desired. I had to get it home, which was 6 subway stops away...and i had to walk 10 blocks with it.

I had them wrap it in bubble wrap and 5 bags

Got home.
Turned on HBO
As soon as i plugged it in my system sounded better than it had before

But
It sounded unbalanced.
Like the center sounded better than the rest of the speakers
So I re-ran the audyssey calibration
(then pumped up my rears and surrounds 5 db each.
Then Threw on my new "BATTLESTAR:GALACTICA" Complete series BluRay...

Very nice.

The difference:

The center channel they give you. While being THX certified when all used in tandem, sounds like ****. Muffled no crispness to the sound

The mythos 3, it's not so much that it gas crispness...as CLARITY. Full bodied clarity. And punch. Gunshots. Whispers. All sound damn good. I think it really shines when you crank it

Wow


No distort

And this sucker can reproduce bass great

So I just wanted to say I seriously recommend replacing your center channel at least once you purchase this excellent system

I can live with the rest Of the speakers for now.

For now.
LL
LL
post #1055 of 1093
I can't say I fully regret buying this system but if I could go back I probably and build my system in pieces. These systems are good for folks that want better sound than just the tv speakers and step up from sound bars. For me, I was unhappy with the strength of the center channel and poor performance with music. I'm thinking about selling the whole system and getting a new receiver and a pair of surrounds for a 5.1, and a sub as well.
post #1056 of 1093
the receiver in that system is okay, just get better speakers.
post #1057 of 1093
Yeah it is. I like it for what it is just more realistic power rating to know what we are getting out of it, is what I want. No issues so far, two years in
post #1058 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa-sd View Post

I bought the S5400 HTIB 2011 model, receiver HTR590, and have exact same audio dropout issues. Yesterday night I had 6 dropouts with clicking sound on receiver in first 30 minutes of watching Unstoppable (through Vudu, streaming HD). During audio dropouts, video keeps going on. It is extremely frsutating experience and not easy to reproduce. happens at random. Analog days were so good Anything digital seem to have reliability issues due to buggy software/firmware.

Audio drop out has been consistent for me since I bought this 8 months ago. Also, the audio will get unsynchronized sometimes--the audio will be anywhere from 1 to 4 seconds off with the video. Quite annoying, especially when I took it to our warranty repair provider and they said they couldn't replicate the problem and that nothing was wrong with it. I looked at them and basically said, "I'm sorry, but something IS wrong with it, and has been since day 1. I'm not stupid, and I'm not imagining this. So thanks for nothing." I contacted Onkyo and they simply referred me to another warranty service center. I'm getting fed up with people who are not helpful at all.
post #1059 of 1093
I wonder tho, this late model 9100 has made such huge success here in the forums...

and then the 9300 comes out and nobody cares.

and now the 9400 comes out and the same thing.

Is it the crisis?

I guess most people aren't enjoying the price...
post #1060 of 1093
I think its because the newer two are pretty much the same system with minor updates to the receivers(hdmi 1.4 etc) afaik.
post #1061 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateFg2 View Post

I think its because the newer two are pretty much the same system with minor updates to the receivers(hdmi 1.4 etc) afaik.

so it's like all the people in the forums who were to buy it already did? lol

It just amazes me cause after extensive research I can seriously say that this system is the best price for it's range and it exceeds some other models; its receiver is like a 1k receiver (just it) just like some other Onkyo models plus its speakers and the THX.... but it has a price tag for a receiver+speakers and it's really low for a THX certified.

It's just awesome, and it has support for so many great new stuff, like the 4k support now... and all of its network capabilities. I can say for SURE there aint no other bundle like this, not even Denon's and Sony's bundles are all crap with those plastic speakers...

So it's just it. I see people going for less expensive (even Onkyo products) but I think they are missing out just cause of some 200 dollars or 300, or so....
post #1062 of 1093
I think I didn't go wrong with my s9300thx...on top of everything else it syncs up perfectly with my panny gt35, as well as the nvidia gt430 in my htpc, which means excellent quality 3d movies on tap
post #1063 of 1093
My HT R-960 receiver (part of Home Theater Package HT-S100THX) started having issues recognizing HDMI sources too! Since it was out-of warranty (2 years), I contacted Visa Free Extended Warranty where I had charged this package. Yes they said it was covered an extra year, but needed an estimate for repairs.

On this claim I contacted my local Onkyo Service Center for an estimate per their instructions. In my case it was A+ Electronics Service Center in Carmel IN 46032.The owner, Dennis recommended I contact Onkyo first, even with an out-of-warranty receiver. I knew any factory repairs would be denied since it was bought "On-Line" at a discount from a non-authorized seller. Surprise! They covered repairs on this known issue anyway! Don't know if enclosing a copy of the service centers e-mail or that I had originally registered the product with them helped, and had all supporting documents they requested, made the difference, but the $125 modification was done at no cost to me.

To perform this modification there are 8 items replaced or added to the printed circuit-board. This modification works on about 60% of repaired receivers. If it fails a new circuit-board is installed, but the previously modified board must be returned to ONKYO for the service center to receive payment on both procedures. Hope this might help others.

My unit was purchased back on 01/2009 and this issues must now have been addressed on later receivers. Good Luck!
post #1064 of 1093
I've had the ht-s9100thx for a bit over a year now. I really enjoy it and think that it was one of the most enjoyable purchases I've made in recent years. Love listening to music and watching movies with surround.

I have one annoying problem with it that has come up recently. I've watched my first 3 Blu-Ray discs in the last month with my PS3 (connected through HDMI), and the audio will drop out once at random during the movie. The video continues to play. If I switch the input on the receiver, say to 'tuner', and then back to the PS3 input source (I have it set to 'DVD' input) the audio will resume and I can continue viewing the movie.

Fortunately this has only happened once during each viewing. I don't know if it's just a random bit-error/loss of synchronization or what?

I am using pretty cheap HDMI cables that I bought from Monoprice, I think 6' one from the PS3 to the receiver. With the added bandwidth of Blu-Ray maybe there is a signal issue that results in a bit-error that causes loss of audio decode link. Does that even make sense, can that happen?
post #1065 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil5 View Post

I've had the ht-s9100thx for a bit over a year now. I really enjoy it and think that it was one of the most enjoyable purchases I've made in recent years. Love listening to music and watching movies with surround.

I have one annoying problem with it that has come up recently. I've watched my first 3 Blu-Ray discs in the last month with my PS3 (connected through HDMI), and the audio will drop out once at random during the movie. The video continues to play. If I switch the input on the receiver, say to 'tuner', and then back to the PS3 input source (I have it set to 'DVD' input) the audio will resume and I can continue viewing the movie.

Fortunately this has only happened once during each viewing. I don't know if it's just a random bit-error/loss of synchronization or what?

I am using pretty cheap HDMI cables that I bought from Monoprice, I think 6' one from the PS3 to the receiver. With the added bandwidth of Blu-Ray maybe there is a signal issue that results in a bit-error that causes loss of audio decode link. Does that even make sense, can that happen?

I have had the same issues, but from day one with my receiver. The problem is also solved with a simple rewind, then when it plays again it takes a few seconds but reacquries the audio signal. I have already tried various HDMI cables and they didn't work. I've also tried three different blu ray players. In other words, the problem definitely lies with the receiver itself. My guess is HDMI handshake issues, I have similar problems with my cable that I run through the receiver. When I switch from a standard def channel to a HD one, the signal is lost. If I change the input on the receiver to something else, when I switch back it reacquires the HD signal over the HDMI cable.
post #1066 of 1093
I upgraded to the latest 1.4 HDMI (11 cables!) from Amazon, that now supports Ethernet, 3D and audio return, just in case that was the issue with the HT-R60 A/V receiver. I also went with the "Plain" not the Braided ones like I had, since they are more flexible. If anything these new cables made the "handshake" HDMI issue even worse. I also reset the receiver to Factory clear by pressing the VCR/DVR and the Standby buttons @ the same time when on (all settings will be erased) with no corrections to this known issue. With the receiver now repaired/modified I am again very pleased with my HT-S9100THX System.

More info
High-Definition Video and Audio in a Single Cable

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) has become the de facto standard for high-definition digital devices. It combines both audio and video into one convenient cable, so you can easily connect your HDTV to your A/V receiver, Blu-ray player, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, satellite dish, and other high-definition source devices. The AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet lets you take advantage of up to 1080p resolution and increased color depth on your HDTV. It also supports 3D television functionality.

Why Ethernet Matters

As the graphic to the left illustrates, getting ethernet to your numerous internet capable devices required either a wireless signal, which can decrease performance, or an additional dedicated cable from each unit to a connected internet source. Ethernet-ready HDMI cables allow you to still combine HD video and digital audio in one cable, with the added benefit of also being able to carry all of your favorite internet content.
Backwards Compatible with Previous HDMI Standards

This cable is backwards compatible with all previous HDMI standards, so you'll be able to use this cable with all your HDMI devices. When you connect two devices with different HDMI standards, they will automatically find the best available connection.
Shielding and Gold-Plated Connectors for Signal Purity

This HDMI cable features shielding and a durable, black PVC outer layer. The shielding provides defense against outside interference and helps maintain the integrity and purity of the digital signal.

The cable also features gold-plated connectors that resist corrosion while offering optimal signal transfer with lower distortion at the point of contact. The result of this dedication to the digital signal is sound and picture quality that is more true to the original.
post #1067 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaren View Post

I upgraded to the latest 1.4 HDMI (11 cables!) from Amazon, that now supports Ethernet, 3D and audio return, just in case that was the issue with the HT-R60 A/V receiver. I also went with the "Plain" not the Braided ones like I had, since they are more flexible. If anything these new cables made the "handshake" HDMI issue even worse. I also reset the receiver to Factory clear by pressing the VCR/DVR and the Standby buttons @ the same time when on (all settings will be erased) with no corrections to this known issue. With the receiver now repaired/modified I am again very pleased with my HT-S9100THX System.

More info
High-Definition Video and Audio in a Single Cable

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) has become the de facto standard for high-definition digital devices. It combines both audio and video into one convenient cable, so you can easily connect your HDTV to your A/V receiver, Blu-ray player, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, satellite dish, and other high-definition source devices. The AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet lets you take advantage of up to 1080p resolution and increased color depth on your HDTV. It also supports 3D television functionality.

Why Ethernet Matters

As the graphic to the left illustrates, getting ethernet to your numerous internet capable devices required either a wireless signal, which can decrease performance, or an additional dedicated cable from each unit to a connected internet source. Ethernet-ready HDMI cables allow you to still combine HD video and digital audio in one cable, with the added benefit of also being able to carry all of your favorite internet content.
Backwards Compatible with Previous HDMI Standards

This cable is backwards compatible with all previous HDMI standards, so you'll be able to use this cable with all your HDMI devices. When you connect two devices with different HDMI standards, they will automatically find the best available connection.
Shielding and Gold-Plated Connectors for Signal Purity

This HDMI cable features shielding and a durable, black PVC outer layer. The shielding provides defense against outside interference and helps maintain the integrity and purity of the digital signal.

The cable also features gold-plated connectors that resist corrosion while offering optimal signal transfer with lower distortion at the point of contact. The result of this dedication to the digital signal is sound and picture quality that is more true to the original.

All you need to do when looking for HDMI cables is look for High Speed HDMI cables that are certified and that the certification is available to you should you choose to review it. The version numbers are going away in January 2012 and there will be only 5 "flavors" of HDMI cables: High Speed, Standard, Automotive, etc. Each type of cable will handle the most current spec that is available for that cable type. If you buy from a reputable dealer who uses quality material in their builds, and who offers the certification to you, you'll be fine. Most of us will just use High Speed HDMI because that will support all of the formats that we're interested in and even the ones that aren't commecially available yet. You don't need to spend a ton of money on cables. Certification specs are are from HDMI Licensing, LLC.

HDMI High Speed:
Deep Color
xvYCC Color
Dolby Digital and DTS
DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless)
Dolby TrueHD (lossless)
ARC (Audio Return Channel)
4K, 1440p, 1080i/p, 720p, 480i/p
3D
HDCP Compliant
340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps
Ethernet (optional)
post #1068 of 1093
The new HDMI standard does not utilize the "1,4" designation any longer. As Otto aptly explained. . . HDMI High Speed is all you want. But if you can find someolder stock that lists them as 1.4 they can be found at great discounted prices!
post #1069 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaren View Post

With the receiver now repaired/modified I am again very pleased with my HT-S9100THX System.

How did you repair your receiver? I'd love to solve my audio drop out issues.
post #1070 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

How did you repair your receiver? I'd love to solve my audio drop out issues.

From my previous post of 8/07

Quote:
My HT R-960 receiver (part of Home Theater Package HT-S100THX) started having issues recognizing HDMI sources too! Since it was out-of warranty (2 years), I contacted Visa Free Extended Warranty where I had charged this package. Yes they said it was covered an extra year, but needed an estimate for repairs.

On this claim I contacted my local Onkyo Service Center for an estimate per their instructions. In my case it was A+ Electronics Service Center in Carmel IN 46032.The owner, Dennis recommended I contact Onkyo first, even with an out-of-warranty receiver. I knew any factory repairs would be denied since it was bought "On-Line" at a discount from a non-authorized seller. Surprise! They covered repairs on this known issue anyway! Don't know if enclosing a copy of the service centers e-mail or that I had originally registered the product with them helped, and had all supporting documents they requested, made the difference, but the $125 modification was done at no cost to me.

To perform this modification there are 8 items replaced or added to the printed circuit-board. This modification works on about 60% of repaired receivers. If it fails a new circuit-board is installed, but the previously modified board must be returned to ONKYO for the service center to receive payment on both procedures. Hope this might help others.

My unit was purchased back on 01/2009 and this issues must now have been addressed on later receivers. Good Luck!
post #1071 of 1093
Do you happen to have an invoice that has more details about the work that was done, such as replaced parts? And just to clarify--you contacted Onkyo, but they did not perform the repair, it was the service center you referred to? I wasn't sure on that point.

I have taken mine into a repair center but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave it back to me. Suffice it to say, I was pretty mad. I called them out and asked if they thought I was lying or just stupid and I assured them it was niether. I may have to mail it to Denver now as that is the nearest authorized service center since the one by my house already had a shot at repairing it and struck out.
post #1072 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

Do you happen to have an invoice that has more details about the work that was done, such as replaced parts? And just to clarify--you contacted Onkyo, but they did not perform the repair, it was the service center you referred to? I wasn't sure on that point.

I have taken mine into a repair center but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave it back to me. Suffice it to say, I was pretty mad. I called them out and asked if they thought I was lying or just stupid and I assured them it was niether. I may have to mail it to Denver now as that is the nearest authorized service center since the one by my house already had a shot at repairing it and struck out.

Sorry for any confusion, but I asked a nearby authorized Onkyo Repair Shop (e-mail) on this know issue, for an estimate of repair. They said to contact Onkyo first, even tho the receiver was Out-Of-Factory Warranty. I called Onkyo and FAXed them all receipts they required with the repair shops e-mail and in a few days the repair shop called and said they had received authorization from Onkyo to repair my unit and to bring it in. I listed their name in my post and you can contact them (e-mail/phone) if you have additional questions. This is a well documented repair for Onkyo Authorized repair shops, but maybe not for other shops. Just like car Dealerships some are just useless. Call A+ Electronics Service Center in Carmel IN 46032 and ask for Dennis. They know what they are doing and have a great working relationship with Onkyo. Sure you might have to pay for shipping, but much cheaper than buying a new A/V reviver as I was considering.


Good Luck!
post #1073 of 1093
Has anyone else had issues with the picture dropping and being replaced by snow and then a black screen? I wasn't sure if it was my TV or the receiver. Even if the receiver is off, it will still drop the picture as the signal is still passed through the receiver. So I disconnected by HDMI cable connecting the cable box to the receiver and connected it directly to the TV. No issues for two full weeks. I think it's safe to say now that this is an issue with the receiver, and perhaps related to the typical audio drop and HDMI handshake issues that others have experienced. I'll post a few pics of the screen that flashes persistently when watching anything connected to my receiver via HDMI.

I'm having issues getting the photos into my post. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I tried to upload them and it failed, I wonder if they're too large.
post #1074 of 1093
Has anyone had a problem where the unit shuts off by itself and then you have to turn it back on? Any suggestions?
post #1075 of 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj93byu View Post

Has anyone else had issues with the picture dropping and being replaced by snow and then a black screen? I wasn't sure if it was my TV or the receiver. Even if the receiver is off, it will still drop the picture as the signal is still passed through the receiver. So I disconnected by HDMI cable connecting the cable box to the receiver and connected it directly to the TV. No issues for two full weeks. I think it's safe to say now that this is an issue with the receiver, and perhaps related to the typical audio drop and HDMI handshake issues that others have experienced. I'll post a few pics of the screen that flashes persistently when watching anything connected to my receiver via HDMI.

I'm having issues getting the photos into my post. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I tried to upload them and it failed, I wonder if they're too large.

Yes I had this very issue and it was the HDMI decoder going bad. Service had to replace the HDMI board...
post #1076 of 1093
I've had to reset the transceiver. After that everything seems to be ok. I´m getting sound from all connected speakers (5.1 setting)

After that I want to optimize the sound with the audiyssey microphone setup. All the speakers are beeping, so far ok.
But then I am getting the error message that the front-speakers are not ok.

When I connect the two `7.1 speakers´ on the frontside connections of the receiver everything is ok.
So I conclude there is no problem with the receiver but with the original front-speakers.

Does anyone know what to do with this error ?

Thank you so far.

Greetz from a cold Netherlands.
post #1077 of 1093
Hi,

I also had some troubles with the Audissey set-up. It kept giving me errors like you said when I hooked my systme up in 5.1 conf. When connecting the 2 remaining loudspeakers, everything went fine. I don't know the reason. Also, that seemed odd to me to make a set-up in a 7.1 conf when I'm actually only using it as a 5.1. I guess that I disturb the setting by doing so, but the sound looks OK to me, so I left it that way

Oli
post #1078 of 1093
Has anyone tried to connect the Panasonic Blu-ray 3D player to the 9100? The player has two HDMI outs...one for video straight to the tv and one for audio to the receiver...having some trouble getting the audio to play. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #1079 of 1093
So any news on the 9500 for 2012?

I guess they won't mess it with the 9400 till next year, right?

it's pretty much ok for now, what do you guys think?

Haven't heard anything from Onkyo on their site, nor CES...
post #1080 of 1093
How do I setup the extra A/B (A+B) speakers to work with the 7.1 surround sound? I wire them in, but no sound comes out of them. Any help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater In A Box
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB