or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Anyone have the Mitsubishi 149 series (w/ built-in soundbar)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone have the Mitsubishi 149 series (w/ built-in soundbar)?

post #1 of 113
Thread Starter 
I've had my eye on the Mitsubishi LT-46149, which has a built-in 16-speaker soundbar and subwoofer output for a reasonable approximation of 5.1 surround sound. (It also comes in a 52-inch model.) Even though it's been for sale on-line for well over a month, I haven't seen it in a store yet and haven't seen a single on-line review. I've been shopping for a 46" LCD for my bedroom, which I would pair with a soundbar (e.g., the lower priced Yamaha, the Zvox 420, the Sony HTCT100). But if the new Mitsubishi is of decent quality, the built-in sound would be a big plus for purchasing it.

Anyone have one? Seen and heard one? Seen a real review?
post #2 of 113
I have the same problem and am anxiously awaiting it's reviews.
post #3 of 113
Thread Starter 
I'll give it a bump just this once.

This tv seems like such an attractive combination of good specs, thin-bezel visual appeal, and high quality sound. Why is it practically invisible on the radar? Are Mitsubishis not considered first-tier products?
post #4 of 113
I feel Mits makes good tvs. I would definitly rank them as a top tier brand, maybe other people here feel differently about them. Sony and Samsung have had the spotlight for the last few years. If Mits make a LEDBL LCD I feel it would get them back in the game. I had a tube tv that I purchased back in 96 and I gave it to a relative in 04, and that tv is still working great.
post #5 of 113
I will have one soon, 46", next week or 2. They will be in some BB stores (in 52") at the end of this month. Can't wait to hear the sound bar but also see the PQ as it upreses everything to 1080p.
post #6 of 113
BTW, I just got an LG 50 series for the bedroom, 40", has the matte finish, stunning picture but the frame will rattle during explosions and rumbling sound effects. I eliminated it by setting the bass and treble to zero which surprisingly didn't degrade the sound. It has 24p but not 120hz. Again, PQ in league with Sammy 650.
post #7 of 113
Thread Starter 
Thanks "size14d" - Please post your impressions when you get the set.
post #8 of 113
There's a pretty favorable review of the LT-46149 on the hdguru website......
post #9 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post

Thanks "size14d" - Please post your impressions when you get the set.

Will do. Should be here by Friday.
post #10 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNW View Post

There's a pretty favorable review of the LT-46149 on the hdguru website......

Ah, thanks! Just the sort of review I was looking for. Takes me a big step closer to buying it.

Incredibly, Amazon has the 52" models of the 149 series selling for a few dollars LESS than the 46" (both around $2.5K). The 52" is bigger than we (well... my wife ) had envisioned in our bedroom, but maybe the thin bezel will moderate the size issue. It seems ridiculous to pass up on the larger size of the same series if the cost is the same.
post #11 of 113
Just got the 46inch( for my bedroom). VERY nice TV. I am the starter of the
"just got my Yamaha YSP 4000" thead. I am a huge fan of that technology, and I can vouch it is the same. Just like the Yamaha, it really needs a sub... but the surround effects are damn good, and it is wild to hear this big an envelope of sound coming from tV speakers.
Picture is great( although Blacks are not as good as Samsung and Sony LCDs)

For now, I am VERY happy. Can't wait to get a modest subwoofer hooked up.
post #12 of 113
I should have mine by the end of the week. Here is the sub I ordered for it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HMLP5A
post #13 of 113
Just got my subwoofer set up. Sony from
Best buy. Works fine.
I LOVE this television. Again, that Yamaha YSP technology
Coming out of JUST these television speakers is wild.
The picture is superb and ranks up there with best
LCD televisions.
post #14 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Just got my subwoofer set up. Sony from
Best buy. Works fine.
I LOVE this television. Again, that Yamaha YSP technology
Coming out of JUST these television speakers is wild.
The picture is superb and ranks up there with best
LCD televisions.

From the picture of the rear jackpack on the Mitsubishi website, it is not obvious how one gets a surround encoded audio signal from a DVD or Blue-Ray player into the TV for playing through the soundbar since there are no optical or coax audi input jacks shown.

Is the signal carried over HDMI?

Thanks.
post #15 of 113
How does the Diamond series compare to this one? PQ wise?
post #16 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

From the picture of the rear jackpack on the Mitsubishi website, it is not obvious how one gets a surround encoded audio signal from a DVD or Blue-Ray player into the TV for playing through the soundbar since there are no optical or coax audi input jacks shown.

Is the signal carried over HDMI?y

Thanks.

yes.
post #17 of 113
I got the 46" today. Still glued to it. I actually have 2 subwoofers to try with it and I currently have it set up with the Yamaha YST-SW216. While the sound bar is simply outstanding by itself the sub gives it that extra oomph that truly gives it a 3D audio effect. Its shipped in "Brilliant Mode", the super bright, high contrast "look at me" showroom setting. I turned it down to Bright during the day and now at night have it at Natural. Tons of ways to tweek the beautiful picture but I am satisfied the way it is now. I have played my PS3 games, NCAA 09 and Battlefield:Bad Company and watched Blu-Ray versions of Casino Royale, Twister and now I am watching Master and Commander. I also watched the first half of the NFL Kick Off game on Dish HD. I am using HDMI. The picture is OUTSTANDING...better color richness then my 37" LG50. But the soundbar and the ability to adjust it is what puts this series above any other flat screen out there. They were very smart to include the sub out. You can tweek every single channel to fit your room. No complaints at all and VERY satisfied so far.
post #18 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

I got the 46" today. Still glued to it. I actually have 2 subwoofers to try with it and I currently have it set up with the Yamaha YST-SW216. While the sound bar is simply outstanding by itself the sub gives it that extra oomph that truly gives it a 3D audio effect. Its shipped in "Brilliant Mode", the super bright, high contrast "look at me" showroom setting. I turned it down to Bright during the day and now at night have it at Natural. Tons of ways to tweek the beautiful picture but I am satisfied the way it is now. I have played my PS3 games, NCAA 09 and Battlefield:Bad Company and watched Blu-Ray versions of Casino Royale, Twister and now I am watching Master and Commander. I also watched the first half of the NFL Kick Off game on Dish HD. I am using HDMI. The picture is OUTSTANDING...better color richness then my 37" LG50. But the soundbar and the ability to adjust it is what puts this series above any other flat screen out there. They were very smart to include the sub out. You can tweek every single channel to fit your room. No complaints at all and VERY satisfied so far.


Agreed totally. Mitsubishi simply hit a home run with this. I am convinced now that I have had it 5 days, the picture is as good as ANY LCD television out there. I am a total Plasma person, and I am blown away by the picture. The sound..well.. it turns my bedroom instantly and with NO wires or clutter, into a small theater.
post #19 of 113
Do you guys know what stores have these on display? I would love to see one in action.
post #20 of 113
I've seen it (haven't heard it) at Best Buy and Tweeter (NH).
post #21 of 113
The 52" should be in Best Buy any time now.
post #22 of 113
I'm also wondering about the 149 series.

At the moment, I have an old Sony XBR2 model, and am looking to upgrade. I was debating between the Samsung 950, Sony XBR8, and the Mitsubishi 149.

I realize overall that the 149 is by far worse in terms of picture quality than the other two, and that the 149 doesn't have as good sound as a true surround system, but being $1000 less than the 950 and $3000 less than the XBR8 (when you throw in tax), plus not being an audiophile, if the audio's just good enough, it can save me another $1000+ on audio equipment, the overall price to quality could work for me. I guess I'm just happy with my XBR2's picture quality, and am wondering if it's at least as good as that.

I want to at the very least upgrade the TV in every category, and not have to take a step back in terms of picture quality. I can live with not having the absolute very best atm.

I guess the things I'm worried about are picture quality, blurring, and input lag. I know a couple people with the Samsung 750, and having a PS2 or Wii makes the games just unplayable due to input lag. There literally was a 3 second difference between their TV and my XBR2 on games. Does the 149 play nice with upscaling?
post #23 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTimes View Post

I'm also wondering about the 149 series.

At the moment, I have an old Sony XBR2 model, and am looking to upgrade. I was debating between the Samsung 950, Sony XBR8, and the Mitsubishi 149.

I realize overall that the 149 is by far worse in terms of picture quality than the other two, and that the 149 doesn't have as good sound as a true surround system, but being $1000 less than the 950 and $3000 less than the XBR8 (when you throw in tax), plus not being an audiophile, if the audio's just good enough, it can save me another $1000+ on audio equipment, the overall price to quality could work for me. I guess I'm just happy with my XBR2's picture quality, and am wondering if it's at least as good as that.

I want to at the very least upgrade the TV in every category, and not have to take a step back in terms of picture quality. I can live with not having the absolute very best atm.

I guess the things I'm worried about are picture quality, blurring, and input lag. I know a couple people with the Samsung 750, and having a PS2 or Wii makes the games just unplayable due to input lag. There literally was a 3 second difference between their TV and my XBR2 on games. Does the 149 play nice with upscaling?

I have no idea where you get the picture is far worse. It looks as good as a Samsung series 6 which is about the same as the 7 series and it looks better then the LG 50 series. I am using it with a PS3 playing NCAA 09 and Madden 09 and its phenomenal. The sound, especially with the subwoofer, is awesome. Totally pleased to the point that my next TV will be the 52" 149. The 52" should be in Best Buy now to see in person. Make sure you do the sound demo by pressing the menu and guide buttons together. Don't take just my word for it, check out what the HD Guru has to say: http://hdguru.com/266/266/ He ranks it near the top of LCD panels WITHOUT even considering the sound bar because of the good color rendition, fast motion picture sharpness and "fine HD bandwidth performance".
post #24 of 113
Is there a game mode with these TV's? The 149's are crazy priced, but the 148's which are the same w/o the sound bar are not bad.
post #25 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder45 View Post

Is there a game mode with these TV's? The 149's are crazy priced, but the 148's which are the same w/o the sound bar are not bad.

There are three modes, Brillant, Bright and Natural. I play my PS3 on here 90% of the time and use Bright in the day and Natural at night. There is a video button the remote to change settings so you don't have to go into the menu.
post #26 of 113
There is a very favorable review in this months issue of Sound & Vision. I just got it in the mail today. They were positive on the PQ and especially the sound. The only minus they listed was upconverted SD images looked soft and it was slow to switch between HD and SD.
post #27 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

I have no idea where you get the picture is far worse. It looks as good as a Samsung series 6 which is about the same as the 7 series and it looks better then the LG 50 series. I am using it with a PS3 playing NCAA 09 and Madden 09 and its phenomenal. The sound, especially with the subwoofer, is awesome. Totally pleased to the point that my next TV will be the 52" 149. The 52" should be in Best Buy now to see in person. Make sure you do the sound demo by pressing the menu and guide buttons together. Don't take just my word for it, check out what the HD Guru has to say: http://hdguru.com/266/266/ He ranks it near the top of LCD panels WITHOUT even considering the sound bar because of the good color rendition, fast motion picture sharpness and "fine HD bandwidth performance".

Totally agree. The picture is absolutely at the top of the LCD heap. I love this set and the build in sound projector is off the chart.
post #28 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

I have no idea where you get the picture is far worse. It looks as good as a Samsung series 6 which is about the same as the 7 series and it looks better then the LG 50 series. I am using it with a PS3 playing NCAA 09 and Madden 09 and its phenomenal. The sound, especially with the subwoofer, is awesome. Totally pleased to the point that my next TV will be the 52" 149. The 52" should be in Best Buy now to see in person. Make sure you do the sound demo by pressing the menu and guide buttons together. Don't take just my word for it, check out what the HD Guru has to say: http://hdguru.com/266/266/ He ranks it near the top of LCD panels WITHOUT even considering the sound bar because of the good color rendition, fast motion picture sharpness and "fine HD bandwidth performance".

OK, I went to a local home theater store, and brought one home. I was impressed at the store, except for a couple issues, and I brought home a display model which I have a week to test. If you can tell me how to resolve these, I'll keep it, but otherwise, I'm returnining this.

The TV takes a few seconds to turn on. I'd say about 10 seconds.

Also, the image has a double image. I tried setting the video to blu-ray, pc, cable, etc. I've tried changing color temps. I've tried turning off video noise, changing theater mode to on/off, etc. It's extremely apparent around white text on a black background (Just go to the PS3 menu to check it out). My Bravia is absolutely flawless in this respect, but the 149 is just horrible honestly. I'm hoping I just have it calibrated wrong, and it can be resolved, as overall, I liked the TV, but if these problems exist, they're just dealbreakers.

(My dream TV I want to look and act better than my computer monitor. I went all out on that, and it makes the Bravia look ugly in comparison).
post #29 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTimes View Post

OK, I went to a local home theater store, and brought one home. I was impressed at the store, except for a couple issues, and I brought home a display model which I have a week to test. If you can tell me how to resolve these, I'll keep it, but otherwise, I'm returnining this.

The TV takes a few seconds to turn on. I'd say about 10 seconds.

Also, the image has a double image. I tried setting the video to blu-ray, pc, cable, etc. I've tried changing color temps. I've tried turning off video noise, changing theater mode to on/off, etc. It's extremely apparent around white text on a black background (Just go to the PS3 menu to check it out). My Bravia is absolutely flawless in this respect, but the 149 is just horrible honestly. I'm hoping I just have it calibrated wrong, and it can be resolved, as overall, I liked the TV, but if these problems exist, they're just dealbreakers.

(My dream TV I want to look and act better than my computer monitor. I went all out on that, and it makes the Bravia look ugly in comparison).

Make sure the tv is not in power saver mode....that will explain why it takes so long to turn on...I have zero double image...it sounds like a signal problem or a bad HDMI cable...this tv sends out a flawless picture...don't give up on it....I owned a Sony and returned it...the Mits is far superior...
post #30 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by llabine1 View Post

Make sure the tv is not in power saver mode....that will explain why it takes so long to turn on...I have zero double image...it sounds like a signal problem or a bad HDMI cable...this tv sends out a flawless picture...don't give up on it....I owned a Sony and returned it...the Mits is far superior...

I originally thought it was the cables at the store, but even at my house, there's a horrible double image which just doesn't exist on my XBR. Even on the internal TV text, when on a black screen, it's just too apparent. I just don't think I could take a risk unless I saw a working model.

*EDIT*

Also, I checked that the power savings mode was off. I really do want to like this, but just a few major issues...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Anyone have the Mitsubishi 149 series (w/ built-in soundbar)?