or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 561

post #16801 of 17094
I just got a Sony nx-720 3d tv, and according to the official thread there 3d will work fine with a high quality 1.3 hdmi cable. My question is whether I can go through the sc-07 which I'm using to connect to the tv. I only have 1 hdmi connection to the tv as the equipment is located in a different room.
post #16802 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug33 View Post

I just got a Sony nx-720 3d tv, and according to the official thread there 3d will work fine with a high quality 1.3 hdmi cable. My question is whether I can go through the sc-07 which I'm using to connect to the tv. I only have 1 hdmi connection to the tv as the equipment is located in a different room.

No - SC-07 does not support 3-D.
post #16803 of 17094
Hello folks,

Just got a used SC-05 in very good condition. I also have a BDP-51FD that I got awhile back also used for $40 . My question is: I'd like to try PQLS so I set the receiver and the bd player to "auto" for PQLS but when I played a CD, I didn't see any indicator on the receiver or the DB player. Am I missing something? How can you tell if PQLS is engaged?

TIA

Martin
post #16804 of 17094
Guess i will hunt around and see if i can find some old stock 05 or SC07's laying around for a great price. I will only use the AVR for my Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI, Pioneer Elite 05 FD and a Oppo 83, and the Optical out for a 9G Kuro and RF7 setup. I have no need for 3D, streaming or any Ipad or I phone crap.
post #16805 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtnguyen View Post

Hello folks,

Just got a used SC-05 in very good condition. I also have a BDP-51FD that I got awhile back also used for $40 . My question is: I'd like to try PQLS so I set the receiver and the bd player to "auto" for PQLS but when I played a CD, I didn't see any indicator on the receiver or the DB player. Am I missing something? How can you tell if PQLS is engaged?

TIA

Martin

HDMI Control must be turned ON for pqls to work and FWIW don't bother. You won't be able to hear any difference and HDMI Control makes a mess of user friendliness.
post #16806 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Guess i will hunt around and see if i can find some old stock 05 or SC07's laying around for a great price. I will only use the AVR for my Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI, Pioneer Elite 05 FD and a Oppo 83, and the Optical out for a 9G Kuro and RF7 setup. I have no need for 3D, streaming or any Ipad or I phone crap.

What do you plan on using the optical out for?
post #16807 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 View Post
HDMI Control must be turned ON for pqls to work and FWIW don't bother. You won't be able to hear any difference and HDMI Control makes a mess of user friendliness.
I agree. The system turns on the TV when I just want to listen to music
post #16808 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

What do you plan on using the optical out for?

I use the optical out from the Kuro into the AVR. It is used to carry audio from cable thru the wall, no cable box, spilt and fed into two S- VHS VCR's for time shifting cable, and it is used for OTA- HD. Cable thru the wall sounds dull as it is only stereo, OTA-HD does sound pretty good. So the AVR is not used in anyway for cable thru the wall or OTA-HD other than the Optical in. Only the BD and DVD players are input into the AVR via HDMI.

My bedroom setup my not rock with cable tru the wall, but DVD and BD will tear the house down.
post #16809 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtnguyen View Post

Hi folks,

I can get a 20 month old SC-07 for $525 shipped. Is this a reasonable price?

This receiver is 20 months old, so I'm kind of concerned about the life left since I've read a couple of posts above about the sudden death of these machines.

Or should I get a new SC-25 for 700 shipped? I'm not really into 3D so the SC-35 doesn't appeal to me very much. Besides it uses different DAC chips.

Please advise.

TIA

Martin

Whoa! I'm away for awhile,and now there are "sudden deaths".Mine is 33 months old,with heavy use.Whats killing them?All my units have had heavy use (up to 15hr's per day) and never killed one.
post #16810 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT3 View Post

Whoa! I'm away for awhile,and now there are "sudden deaths".Mine is 33 months old,with heavy use.Whats killing them?All my units have had heavy use (up to 15hr's per day) and never killed one.

No problems with my SC-07. Though, I've been eyeing the new flagship SC-57. I wonder what the pricing will be but I'm sure if I wait a few months, it will be heavily discounted.
post #16811 of 17094
My left speaker terminal isn't working or went tits up. Anybody else have this issue?
post #16812 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

My left speaker terminal isn't working or went tits up. Anybody else have this issue?

I think someone posted a similar issue,that turned out to be a loose connection,inside the unit.Prob a bad solder joint.
post #16813 of 17094
Now it is working again. I am pleased, I didn't want to take it into a service center. I did a factory reset and am redoing MCACC. Is it actually better to warm up my speakers prior to this?
post #16814 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

I did a factory reset and am redoing MCACC. Is it actually better to warm up my speakers prior to this?

I've read this somewhere.....so don't know if it is a fact.
Most of the time, I let my unit warm up for around 15-20 minutes, and run MCACC twice.
post #16815 of 17094
I bought my SC-07 open box 36 months ago, and have never had a problem.

The 51FD/SC-07 combo does not do multi-channel PQLS.
post #16816 of 17094
Guys, I powered on my SC-07 today and I'm getting no sound from it. I've tried all I can think of and nothing works. It powers on, the display shows normally, but there is no sound from any source.

Can anyone help me out? Do you recommend me resetting the unit?
post #16817 of 17094
Did anything happen since it last worked? any configuration change? Child (or significant other...) got hold of the remote?

First, the REALLY basic things to check, which I assume you did, but just in case...:
- Volume?
- Mute?
- Speakers A/B?
- Proper input selected? (Which and how many input channel lights are lit?)

Second:
- Try to limit the components involved. Try the FM tuner, for example.

Third:
- Try to have the SC generate the test tone noise: Home menu -> Advanced MCACC-> Manual MCACC -> Fine Channel Level, and you will get the test tone in the left channel. Enter and use up/down arrows to test the other speakers.

If none of those options produce sound, then yes a reset would be a good try, but check your speaker connections as well (low chance that all would be unplugged, though).

Dan.
post #16818 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

Guys, I powered on my SC-07 today and I'm getting no sound from it. I've tried all I can think of and nothing works. It powers on, the display shows normally, but there is no sound from an source.

Can anyone help me out? Do you recommend me resetting the unit?

The SC-07 I sold (quite a while ago) did the same thing. Everything worked perfectly except there wasn't any sound. Pioneer ended replacing one or more boards.
post #16819 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The SC-07 I sold (quite a while ago) did the same thing. Everything worked perfectly except there wasn't any sound. Pioneer ended replacing one or more boards.

Dammit!! Alright, I'll call Pioneer tomorrow and see what they can do. It's out of warranty, so I wonder how much this is going to cost me.

This is pretty disappointing. I'm not having very good luck with a company I spent a butt load of money with. I used to have a cheap Kenwood receiver, and that thing last me 10+ years. I've since had a $2200 BD player (09FD) that had to be serviced within two years and now my $2200 receiver has to be serviced right out side the warranty period (I've had it about 2 1/2 years). Not a very happy Pioneer customer right now.
post #16820 of 17094
I recently bought an external hard drive and would like to plug it into the USB connection on the front panel of my SC-05 to play my music files, but when I make the connection, I'm unable to locate the hard drive through home media gallery. I've posted to Western Digital forums (the hard drive manufacturer), but thought I'd post here too in case anybody has a tip.

I've enabled sharing of the hard drive and tried accessing it through the ethernet connection of the SC-05, but can't find the device on my network either.

edit: looks like I need to format my hard drive to FAT 32
post #16821 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT3 View Post

Whoa! I'm away for awhile,and now there are "sudden deaths".Mine is 33 months old,with heavy use.Whats killing them?All my units have had heavy use (up to 15hr's per day) and never killed one.

I'm two years three months old with my 07, but I did have the main board replaced under warranty due to a bad HDMI port. My feeling is overheating, I see a lot of peoples set ups with their units stuffed in cramped spaces. Pio says to at least allow 15 or so inch's for overhead. I'm like 12" with plenty of open space in my TV stand. I also have an old Kenwood HTiB that's like 16 yrs old and still going strong, and I feel it will out last today's electronics that I bought three/four years ago. I don't see my SC-07 lasting this long but I hope to be proven wrong.
post #16822 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 View Post

HDMI Control must be turned ON for pqls to work and FWIW don't bother. You won't be able to hear any difference and HDMI Control makes a mess of user friendliness.

TJ7:

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes opinions on this vary (widely) - the PQLS does make some difference when you compare transports without the feature connected to the same receiver (all using HDMI, all using same cables) and all using same power sources and speakers.

It's a very subtle difference some can hear (the Jitter effect) but is more pronounced depending on the non-PQLS sources you have connected playing the same CD source materials. Some non PQLS gear has very low jitter so the difference is not really present by comparison.

I can affirm that on my professionally calibrated SC-07, with the same CD source material (quiet source material - not compressed rock, pop etc) I sometimes favor the PQLS transport. My two sources are DV58AV -HDMI Control no PQLS and 05FD - PQLS HDMI Control enabled. Pure Pioneer system (with the SC-07 and a Pioneer 111FD plasma in the same chain).

I can't speak to a non-Pioneer system so YMMV as may our ears.

My point of reference is vocals from old quiet analog masters (Dean Martin 1950's recordings for example). There i hear slight diffrences in tonality (and no I can't describe it better than to say the 05FD is slightly superior in that regard). Could be mojo but I can hear a difference with some discs and some music.

Does it make a difference for all music? No - not on pop, not on compressed junk - probably because the recording and mastering don't help with the low dynamic range.

Do the transports differ yes - but digital is digital right? Ha.

Bottom line - if I had to get a transport for the SC-07 and I could get a 51FD or a 05FD cheap for single disc playback - I'd pay an extra $50-100 for it.

PS - you can turn the display off with the display remote and playback will continue. Yes it is a pain.
post #16823 of 17094
eldithomaso, the real question is... If you turn on/turn off PQLS while listening to the 05FD, do you hear a difference?
post #16824 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

eldithomaso, the real question is... If you turn on/turn off PQLS while listening to the 05FD, do you hear a difference?

I tried numerous times and wasn't talented enough to hear any difference. Let alone to say one was actually better than the other.
post #16825 of 17094
Anybody know if the FAT requirement for an external hard drive to be plugged in directly to the SC-05 USB port, is also required to share an external hard drive over the network while it's plugged into a desktop PC?

I can't seem to find mine on the network. It's a western digital my book essential and is non-FAT.
post #16826 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

eldithomaso, the real question is... If you turn on/turn off PQLS while listening to the 05FD, do you hear a difference?

I will have to try and report back. If it's only transport differences then we cam safely say the 05fd is a better transport than the 58
post #16827 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

TJ7:

I have to respectfully disagree...

I understand and if I had my way my 07, 51FD and 5020 e-lite would all be playing nice and I would be able to make the most of all the settings. But, I use an Oppo 981 HD for SACD and also have a HTPC in the mix. Harmony 900 gives me the capablities I need so HDMI Contol is now off (along with any possibility of PQLS).

I did try it and found any benefit of PQLS was confounded by the mess HDMI Control made of absolutely everything. My solution was to turn off HDMI Control and suffer any shortcomings of that decision.

"...too bad the 07 can't do PQLS without HDMI Control turned on" was my final answer.
post #16828 of 17094
My electricity when out for a split second and my SC05 which was hooked up to a surge protector along with my other AV equipment will not turn on. The Advance MCACC led just slowly blinks. Am I sol?
post #16829 of 17094
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post

My electricity when out for a split second and my SC05 which was hooked up to a surge protector along with my other AV equipment will not turn on. The Advance MCACC led just slowly blinks. Am I sol?

Try this:

Solution for the dreaded flashing "Advanced MCACC" light on the SC-05: I was told to press the down button (of the 4 circular buttons) on the front panel at the same time as the ON/OFF multizone button (on the right side of the panel). This reset the system immediately. I was warned only to do this once and if it didn't work, to take it to the authorized service center. I believed this saved me many hours of work as well as days to weeks without my main receiver.
post #16830 of 17094
By the way the search function can be very helpful when trying to find an answer to a question like the one you had
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread