or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › ISF Professionals who can calibrate the Pioneer 9G Non-Elites (PDP-5020FD/PDP-6020FD)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ISF Professionals who can calibrate the Pioneer 9G Non-Elites (PDP-5020FD/PDP-6020FD) - Page 4

post #91 of 223
Anybody calibrate 5020s near DETROIT, MI
post #92 of 223
Hi Everyone,

Anyone recommandation for a professional to calibrate my 6020 in the detroit, michigan area?

Appreciate any info!
post #93 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand1987 View Post

Anybody calibrate 5020s near DETROIT, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post

Hi Everyone,

Anyone recommandation for a professional to calibrate my 6020 in the detroit, michigan area?

Appreciate any info!

Doug Weil covers that area..

I believe Chad Billheimer does as well.

Doug Weil at Clearly Resolved / Lion AV Affiliate - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Based in St. Louis, covering the Midwest and the Southeast.
Chad Billheimer at HDTVbyChadB.com - ISFccc [8G] [9G] - Ohio/Virginia based - Tours to Texas, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Chicago, Baltimore and most areas in between.

I have notified both of your Posts...

EDIT: Summit HDTV covers that area too.
post #94 of 223
I just posted this question in the 9G Kuro Settings/Issues thread, but now I'm thinking that this might be a better place to ask:

I am having my 5020 professionally calibrated next week and I received an email suggesting that I black out the room as much as possible for the calibration, even suggesting that I should consider covering all of the windows with black trash bags. My 5020 resides in a room that is open to much of the rest of the house and gets fairly bright (although it only gets direct sunlight for a small portion of the afternoon - not when the calibration is being done).

How anal do I need to be about darkening the room for the calibration? I'm spending a fair bit of money here, and I'd hate to think that I'm not getting my money's worth by calibrating in a lit room. If the day is dark and dreary, then the room should be fairly dark; if the day is bright and sunny then the room will be bright too. Is it important that I make every effort to get the room dark, or should I just leave it alone and let the pro do his best with the conditions he is given?
post #95 of 223
Thread Starter 
Chris Eberle and/or Fred Dietzel cover your area and I have asked them to respond directly to you in this Thread..

Chris Eberle at Precision Video - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Serving New York Metro, Westchester, Hudson Valley, Albany, New Jersey, Connecticut and Eastern Pennsylvania.
Fred Dietzel at Enhanced Audio & Video - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Serving South central Pennsylvania.
post #96 of 223
It is very important that the room be as dark as possible, preferably with no ambient light shining onto the display at all. This is especially critical during gray scale measurements and calibration. Any light reflecting off of the display will be picked up by the calibrators color analyzer or colorimeter and skew those measurements.
post #97 of 223
I would echo Fred's comments. The room should be as dark as possible to ensure accurate measurements. At some point though, the black level and white level should be set in light typical to the room. This is important so that shadow detail is preserved and contrast is maximized. Room lighting will affect the human perception of the darkest details. Black levels set in a dark room will look crushed when the lights are on or there is sunlight coming in a window.
post #98 of 223
Hello,

Summit HDTV serving calibration needs in Southeast Michigan and Toledo, OH since 2004.

Thanks!
post #99 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Doug Weil covers that area..

I believe Chad Billheimer does as well.

Doug Weil at Clearly Resolved / Lion AV Affiliate - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Based in St. Louis, covering the Midwest and the Southeast.
Chad Billheimer at HDTVbyChadB.com - ISFccc [8G] [9G] - Ohio/Virginia based - Tours to Texas, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Chicago, Baltimore and most areas in between.

I have notified both of your Posts...

Yes, I live in Ohio and Detroit is not far at all. I'd be happy to do them.
post #100 of 223
Hi All,

Does anyone do calibrations for the 5020 in the Dallas, TX area?
post #101 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabopper View Post

Hi All,

Does anyone do calibrations for the 5020 in the Dallas, TX area?

Milton Krueger, Chad Billheimer and David Abrams.. contact info in Post #1
post #102 of 223
Doug Weil will also be coming back to Dallas in the near future.
post #103 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

Doug Weil will also be coming back to Dallas in the near future.

Good to know..
post #104 of 223
Thread Starter 
Finally, the List is sorted by the Calibrator's home state
post #105 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabopper View Post

Hi All,

Does anyone do calibrations for the 5020 in the Dallas, TX area?

Hello dabopper,

I will be back in Texas in May and would be happy to include you on the tour. For more information please visit www.avical.com or email me directly at dave@avical.com.

Regards,

Dave
post #106 of 223
Nobody does Iowa? Des Moines, Iowa specifically... Any recommendations?
post #107 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Nobody does Iowa? Des Moines, Iowa specifically... Any recommendations?


Hi,

Shawn Byrne at Sound Advice AV Calibration - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Serving Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas and Iowa.
Jeff Meier at AccuCal - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - National Tours (AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MO, MS, NC, NJ, NV, NH, NY, OK, OH, PN, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WV).
Chad Billheimer at HDTVbyChadB.com - ISFccc [8G] [9G] - Ohio/Virginia based - Tours to Texas, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Chicago, Baltimore and most areas in between.
post #108 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Hi,

Shawn Byrne at Sound Advice AV Calibration - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - Serving Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas and Iowa.
Jeff Meier at AccuCal - ISFccc [8G] [9G] [M] - National Tours (AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MO, MS, NC, NJ, NV, NH, NY, OK, OH, PN, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WV).
Chad Billheimer at HDTVbyChadB.com - ISFccc [8G] [9G] - Ohio/Virginia based - Tours to Texas, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Chicago, Baltimore and most areas in between.

Thanks, and I'll be in contact with Shawn when the time is right.
post #109 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post

Hi Everyone,

Anyone recommandation for a professional to calibrate my 6020 in the detroit, michigan area?

Appreciate any info!


I would contact Chad Billheimer at HDTVBYCHADB.COM

He has calibrated 4 of my units and he is going to be calibrating my new 151FD very soon. I can't say enough about this guy and the work(magic) he has done. He is located just north of Dayton, OH... He would travel up your way.

Thanks,
post #110 of 223
Just picked up a Pro 111FD...


anyone in chicagoland area (joliet) i was thinking about do it in the spring time...
post #111 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler 08 View Post

Just picked up a Pro 111FD...


anyone in chicagoland area (joliet) i was thinking about do it in the spring time...

I usually calibrate in the Chicago area at least once a month. Congratulations on a great choice!


Ken Whitcomb
post #112 of 223
I'm in Oakland, CA. I see many names in CA, although only 3 appear to service the SF/Bay Area. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?
post #113 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post

I'm in Oakland, CA. I see many names in CA, although only 3 appear to service the SF/Bay Area. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations?

Here are two who work in the Bay Area.

David Abrams
dave@avical.com
http://www.avical.com/

Robert Busch
busch@netdex.com
www.buschhometheater.com
post #114 of 223
also
chuck williams....you can find him on www.lionav.com
post #115 of 223
Thread Starter 
Hi,

Chuck doesn't have ControlCAL yet..

I'll contact him...
post #116 of 223
My gut reaction was that this was wrong... I would love to hear your thoughts.

ME: That sign says you do ISF calibrations.
GEEKSQUAD GUY: We do.
ME: Do you do them on the Pio 5020FD?
GEEKSQUAD GUY: We do.
ME: You mean you use a disk to calibrate the screen by "eye"?
GEEKSQUAD GUY: No, we use the **INSERT TECHNICAL SENSOR NAME HERE**
ME: How much?
GEEKSQUAD GUY: couple hundred


Do you think they are doing the same calibration that everyone is reading about on this thread? Greyscale, CG etc? I got the impression that an ISF calibration was an ISF calibration. From this guy, I got the feeling that an ISF calibration was working to a certain standard and from there its all in the skill and knowledge of the user. Meaning that every calibration is going to be different based on the calibrator. Or do we really think that bestbuy is doing calibrations?
post #117 of 223
Thread Starter 
Not for Movie..
post #118 of 223
**sheepishly**
movie mode??
post #119 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuncHwagon View Post

....From this guy, I got the feeling that an ISF calibration was working to a certain standard and from there its all in the skill and knowledge of the user. Meaning that every calibration is going to be different based on the calibrator. Or do we really think that bestbuy is doing calibrations?

A calibration is a calibration...... that doesn't mean it's a good or bad calibration. The calibrators skill set and equipment are extremely important. A professional, independent, calibrator has his reputation to protect. A BB calibrator is an employee, required to follow company policy...... If one thinks they can get professional calibration results from a salesman trying make a TV sale, bargaining/hard-selling a calibration deal, then having a calibrator sent out to do the calibration vs. discussing your calibration with the calibrator, who's only goal is getting the best calibration results, it's your decision. I get many calls where the main interest is in the price, not the calibration results, the calibrators skills or equipment used.

I guess it could be like buying a used car, do you choose a used car sales man or a private party? Best advice is to do your research and don't be pressured into buying a calibration.
post #120 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuncHwagon View Post

**sheepishly**
movie mode??

Movie is the most accurate on the 9G Non Elites. With proper calibration using ControlCAL, the 9G NE's grayscale can be identical to the Elite's and the gamut will improve (one side benefit). This isn't the case with the other AV Selections.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › ISF Professionals who can calibrate the Pioneer 9G Non-Elites (PDP-5020FD/PDP-6020FD)