Originally Posted by Mike7733
New member, posted in the 3800 foum 1st, couldn't find this one untill now.
Ok, have owned my 3900 for 3 years now, never had a problem updating it.
yesterday, I downloaded version 1.18, from yamaha's site. I was on version 1.17 Seems something went wrong during the update to 1.18, I was using the usb port, not the internet to update. Update seemed to be going fine, then....near the end of the update it messed up, putting my 3900 to the point where the only thing I see on main receiver is "Main on" thats it.
Nothing works, receiver is DEAD it seems!!! Can't do any from of update now, nothing works. After reading the manual I tried pulling the plug, putting in the usb stick....different stick, same update 1.18 then holding in the "info" button, and pluging back in the 3900, this made the 3900 change to updatefirmware screen, but did nothing, just sat thier.
I am hoping thier is a way to recover from a failed update, but I don't know what else to try.....would love some idea's or help.
This was part of the 1.18 firmware .zip file in the .pdf. Good luck!
Case #1: Instead of UPDATE OK, an error message appeared on the display during updating or ERROR appeared when confirming the firmware version in Advanced Setup.
To recover, retry the update procedure of USB/Network from first step again.
In case the update has failed with network method, perform USB update method for recovery.
Case #2: Thumb Data Err / Firm Update appeared on the display.
1. Press MENU button. FirmUpdate, push MENU key will appear on the display.
2. Unplug the USB thumb drive and copy the update file again.
3. Insert the USB thumb drive in the USB terminal on the front panel.
4. Start firmware update by pressing the MENU button.
5. When UPDATE OK appears on the display, firmware update is completed. System will reboot automatically.
6. Power OFF the unit by pressing MASTER ON/OFF button on the front panel.
7. Remove the USB thumb drive.
Case #3: Firmware update doesn't start for other reasons. For example, the unit does not power up after the MASTER ON/OFF button is pressed. Or, DEVICE ERROR appeared on the front display.
1. Unplug the AC power cable from the back of the receiver.
2. Set the MASTER ON/OFF button on the front panel to ON.
3. Insert the USB thumb drive in the USB terminal located on the front panel.
4. Press and hold the INFO key and keep it pressed while you plug the AC power cable back into the receiver again. The front panel display shows FirmwareUpdate
5. The update will start automatically.
6. When UPDATE OK appears on the display, firmware update is completed. System will turn off and on again automatically.
7. Power OFF the unit by pressing MASTER ON/OFF button on the front panel.
8. Remove the USB thumb drive.