or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread - Page 236

post #7051 of 7069
That's indeed how Netflix works. Luckily I have my computer close, so I move all the frequently watched items to the front. I bought mine in Sep 2009. I am now starting to have some problems with certain Bluray disks that won't play. Not sure if it is the player or just the firmware. The last update was in 2008 and there isn't anything newer on the website, so I'm guessing they are no longer supporting it.
post #7052 of 7069
I have a Samsung BD-2550 and I recently upgraded to a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. I'd like to know from anyone who has upgraded, what do I have to expect in improvements with a newer player?

Is it worth keeping this player for a bedroom that doesn't currently have a Blu-ray player (but will barely get used) or better to sell it now while it still has value? I also have a DVDO Iscan Pro that looks like it's getting ebay'd or craigslisted if I put the Samsung for sale.
post #7053 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnapena View Post

I have a Samsung BD-2550 and I recently upgraded to a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. I'd like to know from anyone who has upgraded, what do I have to expect in improvements with a newer player?

Is it worth keeping this player for a bedroom that doesn't currently have a Blu-ray player (but will barely get used) or better to sell it now while it still has value? I also have a DVDO Iscan Pro that looks like it's getting ebay'd or craigslisted if I put the Samsung for sale.

Not sure how much resale value that the old Samsung player would have as a current model Samsung with more features, brand new, and a warranty can be purchased for $79.99. The Netflix client in the BD-2550 is out of date. But if you want a player in the bedroom for BR's and DVD's then it may be worth keeping. Or upgrade to something newer and give it away as a hand me down to friends or family.
Edited by anettis - 4/25/13 at 5:13am
post #7054 of 7069
Anettis, would the new player for $79.99 have just as good video quality. I thought the HQV was what made this special. I could be mistaken as I haven't followed this player in awhile.
post #7055 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnapena View Post

Anettis, would the new player for $79.99 have just as good video quality. I thought the HQV was what made this special. I could be mistaken as I haven't followed this player in awhile.

I think it was special back in the day, but that was years ago. Anyway I replaced both my Samsung BD-2550's with Samsung BD-F5900's, which is a step up from their cheapest current year model. It has all sorts of apps available (in addition to Netflix and Pandora), supports 3-D, internet browsing capability, can use a wireless keyboard, can access DLNA content (on a PC or NAS), etc. I am blown away by how much things have changed. While I did not do any direct comparisons of picture quality, like most technologies I believe in general BR players get cheaper and better over time, particularly when comparing two players from the same manufacturer that are years apart. Perhaps some other owners of the BD-2550 can chime in with a comparison to newer units.
post #7056 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnapena View Post

Anettis, would the new player for $79.99 have just as good video quality. I thought the HQV was what made this special. I could be mistaken as I haven't followed this player in awhile.

The general consensus is that the output for blu rays from modern blu ray players are very similar.
DVD upconversion and processing can vary and there are some more advanced BR players -- eg Oppo -- that help with that.
Also, DVD-A/SACD playback is an issue for some (increasingly fewer) people.

Mike
post #7057 of 7069
Hi, everybody!

I was recently given a BD-P2500 by a buddy who upgraded to an Oppo. It worked fine when he last used it. When I brought it home, I updated the firmware to 2.8 (mistake, I know) and now it won't play blu-ray disks. Plays regular DVD's fine, but it either chokes up trying to load or says the blu-ray isn't playable. It's done this for all the disks I've tried. Reflashing and resetting to factory default didn't help.

I'd like to try to downlevel it to 2.7, but I can't find the files anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get them from?? All the links I've found on a Google search are dead. mad.gif
post #7058 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslack View Post

Hi, everybody!

I was recently given a BD-P2500 by a buddy who upgraded to an Oppo. It worked fine when he last used it. When I brought it home, I updated the firmware to 2.8 (mistake, I know) and now it won't play blu-ray disks. Plays regular DVD's fine, but it either chokes up trying to load or says the blu-ray isn't playable. It's done this for all the disks I've tried. Reflashing and resetting to factory default didn't help.

I'd like to try to downlevel it to 2.7, but I can't find the files anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get them from?? All the links I've found on a Google search are dead. mad.gif

I know it's a long thread (I've been a 2550 owner for years), but I also know that some folks used to keep local/personal copies of the firmware; if you can sort/search through it, you might find those posts. My 2550 is still my everyday DVD/BD player, and while the Netflix client may be old (it still does the job), the video quality on this player is still top-notch even compared to modern more expensive players (and I use it with a projector as well).

Hopefully it's not too late for you, but my motto (with all CE devices) is: only upgrade when absolutely necessary for a required feature.
post #7059 of 7069
I tried searching the thread, but I only found one guy who had older firmware and the link he gave was dead.

However, I got it working last night!! I reflashed the 2.8 firmware again and then unplugged the player from the power source. After letting it sit and plugging it back in again, it actually played a blu-ray! It's till a little temperamental, so I'd still like to find the 2.7 firmware if I can.
post #7060 of 7069
Funny to see this thread rise to the top again. I just unboxed my old 2550 for spare bedroom use and came to the forum to look up reviews of more recent players.

I might have some firmware lurking on my PC somewhere. I'll take a look later today.
post #7061 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslack View Post

Hi, everybody!

I was recently given a BD-P2500 by a buddy who upgraded to an Oppo. It worked fine when he last used it. When I brought it home, I updated the firmware to 2.8 (mistake, I know) and now it won't play blu-ray disks. Plays regular DVD's fine, but it either chokes up trying to load or says the blu-ray isn't playable. It's done this for all the disks I've tried. Reflashing and resetting to factory default didn't help.

I'd like to try to downlevel it to 2.7, but I can't find the files anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get them from?? All the links I've found on a Google search are dead. mad.gif
As luck would have it, I have a few older versions of the firmware and the 2.7 version is one of them. I can't tell you whether or not you'll be successful in downgrading, FW usually isn't capable of that, but maybe so in this case.

Anyway, if you can figure out a way where I can get it to you (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), I'll be glad to, just PM me... wink.gif -TD
post #7062 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

As luck would have it, I have a few older versions of the firmware and the 2.7 version is one of them. I can't tell you whether or not you'll be successful in downgrading, FW usually isn't capable of that, but maybe so in this case.

Anyway, if you can figure out a way where I can get it to you (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), I'll be glad to, just PM me... wink.gif -TD

Try posting it in this thread as an attachment, just in case this question comes up again.

Files might be too large for that.

This is the only version I have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5g3l2il19zpmqn/090407_01_BDP2550_XAA.RUF.zip
Edited by VisionOn - 8/3/13 at 10:32pm
post #7063 of 7069
Got it! I'll give it a try later if this thing continues to act up. Thanks a lot!!
post #7064 of 7069
Is there a trick to getting this thing to see the lower level firmware? I put the file I got above on a USB key, installed it in the port on the player, it saw it and connected it, but when I go into the system menu to update the firmware, it tries to use the ethernet. Am I missing a step here?
post #7065 of 7069
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslack View Post

Is there a trick to getting this thing to see the lower level firmware? I put the file I got above on a USB key, installed it in the port on the player, it saw it and connected it, but when I go into the system menu to update the firmware, it tries to use the ethernet. Am I missing a step here?

Try killing your ethernet connection and/or turn off BD Live in the menu (I do that anyway...so it doesn't check for updates).
post #7066 of 7069
I did that, but still can't get the player to update the firmware off the USB key. Even changed the date on the 2.7 file to make it newer than 2.8, but still no go.
post #7067 of 7069
Try doing it via CD (I did one of mine that way). After that, I'm out of ideas...
post #7068 of 7069
SUCCESS!!!

Got the CD firmware from tomd51 and flashed the player down to 2.7. Now it seems *fingers crossed* to be working. It's played all three of the blu-rays I have in the house! Woo-hoo!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot everyone, especially you Tom!
post #7069 of 7069
Right on!! cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread