or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread - Page 132

post #3931 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

i am looking at A/V stands that are fairly short -- most are either 20 or 22 ft tall.
...do i raise my 141 further off the ground?

My god, I would hope not - talk about neck pain!!!!

You might consider a Salamander Synergy x20 series cabinet (I have a Triple 20) as you should be able to adjust the shelves to house your center channel. Not sure if the top of your B&W center would be too high if you placed it on top of the x20 cabinet.

The attached pic shows my setup (albeit messy during break-in disc months ago) with my Polk CSi40 on top (7.5" tall), with plenty of air between it and the 141. Not sure of the height of the 141 off the floor at this moment...but if my geeky "mounting height calculator" spreadsheet is close, it shows about 34" aff to bottom of bezel.

post #3932 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The 141 "CAD" drawings have all the architectural dimensions.

according to the cad drawing the bazel is roughlty 2.5 inches long along the top and bottom and slightly larger along the sides. (~2.5 inches vs. ~2.7 inches)

can anyone reconfrim this? the CAD drawings explicetly give this info. i have subtracted the lengths of the plasma from the lengths of the bazle and devided by 2.

if any of you owners have a ruler handy, i'd REALLY apreciate an on the spot check of this info.

thanks in advance.
post #3933 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

My god, I would hope not!!!!

OOOPS.. i goofed, didn't I?

appologies folks.. inches 20-22 inches tall..

thanks for pointing that out... i didnt even notice!
post #3934 of 5267
long story short, i have a standard krp-ts01 stand without any screws - any thoughts on where to get a screw kit? last ditch effort will be waddling into home depot this weekend with the stand in tow...
post #3935 of 5267
I use a Salamander Synergy Twin 30. I have an Nautilus HTM-1 on top of it. I have the setup where I was more concerned with ensuring the FST and tweeters of the front speakers are lined up height wise. I don't recall how high my 141FD is mounted off the floor. But for the viewing distance I have and the use of a tilting wall mount, it's actually not that bad. I certainly don't notice much issue watching content on the panel.


post #3936 of 5267
Wow I love that setup. It almost has a 2001 A SPACE Odyssey feel. I love it and I'm envious.
post #3937 of 5267
nice Setup WonHung...

looks like the plasma is mounted (roughly) just under 5 ft off the ground. how far back from the front wall is yr very nice couch? i may have to mount it high and get a tilting mount -- we will see.

what is the cieling height where the Plasma hangs?

there is no way i am going to be able to place my center channel at the same height as the tweeter of the 804s.. i understand that this may be ideal, but even in their own photos, the B&W people have the centre channel on a sand well below the tweeters of the side channels -- so i figure it is acceptable.

i just spoke w\\ a 4th HT specialist (who doesnt work w\\ rotel or B&W) but knows both brands well and he mentioned -- "u know the 804s sound better when they are placed 2 feet from the wall, right" -- i had heard this, but dont really have that kind of space -- should i not even bother w\\ the floorstanding fronts?

btw i decided that i am going to run wires in the wall for the rear channels b/c the guy who renovated my current (older) place is a master at doing this in the most unobtrusive way and also b/c some of these furniture makers need like 6 months to get the furnitur I like so i figure i have a ton of time -- even if most HT guys do not want to snake the wires thru the walls and prefer to run them along the baseboard.
post #3938 of 5267
Apologies if this has been asked already but would someone have a link or could possibly email me the Service Manual for the 141FD or the KRP-600M (same manual I believe).

I am trying to enter the service factory mode to remove a blinking blue and solid red light on my 141FD, apparently this means I do not have a digital backup of my settings. After looking over another service manual for a TV, it mentions:

Service factory mode: In standby mode, turn off main
power switch (Bottom front left on Panel), push and
hold "Vol up" and "input keys" (in front of PDP), then
turn on main power switch. Press "DOWN" key once
"HOUR METER & P ON COUNTER" screen"--->
Record the number ---> Press "Power" key to exit

These instructions will not work on my monitor. WOuld someone have similiar instructions or the actual service manual for the 141FD they would be willing to send me?

Thank you.
post #3939 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

Apologies if this has been asked already but would someone have a link or could possibly email me the Service Manual for the 141FD or the KRP-600M (same manual I believe).

You can purchase one at the usual places.

However you still have a problem and need to place a service call.
post #3940 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post


These instructions will not work on my monitor. WOuld someone have similiar instructions or the actual service manual for the 141FD they would be willing to send me?

Thank you.

If I am not mistaken, you need a "service remote" for the 141. There is *no* magic code to access the service menu.
post #3941 of 5267
[quote=WonHung;17274227]I use a Salamander Synergy Twin 30. I have an Nautilus HTM-1 on top of it. I have the setup where I was more concerned with ensuring the FST and tweeters of the front speakers are lined up height wise. I don't recall how high my 141FD is mounted off the floor. But for the viewing distance I have and the use of a tilting wall mount, it's actually not that bad. I certainly don't notice much issue watching content on the panel.

Great looking room!

I have to ask, your last name wouldn't be Low would it.

ss
post #3942 of 5267
Would you know if ControlCal can give me access to the service menu? I'm not sure how much it costs to have a Pioneer tech service the TV to turn off a blinking light because I don't have a digital backup of my picture settings.
post #3943 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

Would you know if ControlCal can give me access to the service menu?

No
post #3944 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

I'm not sure how much it costs to have a Pioneer tech service the TV to turn off a blinking light because I don't have a digital backup of my picture settings.

You can get a service remote on ebay but you have a display with a two year warranty and a defect. Open box or no that means there's normally no charge.

By the way, even if you're right about the problem (that's it's a failed backup which is not about backing up your picture settings) the fix isn't to run a manual backup, the fix is finding out why there's an MDU issue and that means a service call.
post #3945 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I do not push the Green High/Low controls beyond +/- 2 on the SIgnature Series. As far as your settings below, where are your charts for these settings? They look fine, but I need to see the raw measurements behind them.
Here are my charts using a certified chroma 5.

 

141 8-24.pdf 46.55078125k . file

 

color 8-24.pdf 57.9033203125k . file
post #3946 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidpro View Post

wow i love that setup. It almost has a 2001 a space odyssey feel. I love it and i'm envious.

+1
post #3947 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I have to ask, your last name wouldn't be Low would it.

ss

post #3948 of 5267
[quote=sillysally;17276296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

I use a Salamander Synergy Twin 30. I have an Nautilus HTM-1 on top of it. I have the setup where I was more concerned with ensuring the FST and tweeters of the front speakers are lined up height wise. I don't recall how high my 141FD is mounted off the floor. But for the viewing distance I have and the use of a tilting wall mount, it's actually not that bad. I certainly don't notice much issue watching content on the panel.

Great looking room!

I have to ask, your last name wouldn't be Low would it.

ss

LMAO!!!
post #3949 of 5267
Folks,
I have a quick question about warranty.
If I were to purchase a 141 from an online store (as opposed to an "authorized" retail store), would Pioneer still honor the 2-year manufacturer's warranty?
By buying online, I can save on the sales tax. But not willing to compromise warranty.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Need to know ASAP.

Thanks in advance!
post #3950 of 5267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Folks,
I have a quick question about warranty.
If I were to purchase a 141 from an online store (as opposed to an "authorized" retail store), would Pioneer still honor the 2-year manufacturer's warranty?
By buying online, I can save on the sales tax. But not willing to compromise warranty.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Need to know ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Here are my thoughts:

I would never normally buy from a dealer which was not authorized as I dont think you would get a warranty BUT, in light of the fact 141s are so hard to find these days if it meant I would get a 141 with no warranty vs not getting one at all.....i would take it with no warranty...its that good.

YMMV
post #3951 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

nice Setup WonHung...

looks like the plasma is mounted (roughly) just under 5 ft off the ground. how far back from the front wall is yr very nice couch? i may have to mount it high and get a tilting mount -- we will see.

what is the cieling height where the Plasma hangs?

there is no way i am going to be able to place my center channel at the same height as the tweeter of the 804s.. i understand that this may be ideal, but even in their own photos, the B&W people have the centre channel on a sand well below the tweeters of the side channels -- so i figure it is acceptable.

i just spoke w\\ a 4th HT specialist (who doesnt work w\\ rotel or B&W) but knows both brands well and he mentioned -- "u know the 804s sound better when they are placed 2 feet from the wall, right" -- i had heard this, but dont really have that kind of space -- should i not even bother w\\ the floorstanding fronts?

btw i decided that i am going to run wires in the wall for the rear channels b/c the guy who renovated my current (older) place is a master at doing this in the most unobtrusive way and also b/c some of these furniture makers need like 6 months to get the furnitur I like so i figure i have a ton of time -- even if most HT guys do not want to snake the wires thru the walls and prefer to run them along the baseboard.

The ceiling height is a bit under 8'. The bottom of the plasma to the floor is about 45". And the distance from the plasma to my viewing position is about 12' maybe a bit less.

With regards to speaker placement, you really have to experiment with where they should go. I didn't measure exactly where I placed mine. But I know they're around 2' maybe a bit more from the back wall and at least that from the side walls. If you don't have the space to properly position your speakers, I would probably recommend in walls. But I'm more audio centered. I'm also one of those nuts that would prefer a phantom center over an improperly placed center or a center which at least doesn't match with the same driver compliment as my mains. I got into a disagreement with someone who is a "certified" installer on another forum. His stance was he would never certify a system without a center even if the center was substantially sub par either speaker wise or placement. Oh and just because B&W shows a center on a stand well below the plane of the mids/tweeters of the mains, doesn't mean this is entirely acceptable. They're trying to appeal more to the masses. But if I had my choice of having a center on a stand angled upward to the listening position versus cramming a center into a cubby hole in an entertainment center, I'd pick the free standing center on a stand hands down.

But if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would have pushed to get another N804 to use as my center channel so I would have identical speakers all the way around. Oh well, live and learn.
post #3952 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Great looking room!

I have to ask, your last name wouldn't be Low would it.

ss

LOL. Why yes....you got the joke. I didn't want to be entirely vulgar with my forum handle. Actually, I've thought about changing my screen name to something a bit more G rated. But I read a post here from one of the mods/admins saying changing screen names would be a hassle and cause all sorts of issues with the forum search function.
post #3953 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Not sure of the height of the 141 off the floor at this moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

nice Setup WonHung...

looks like the plasma is mounted (roughly) just under 5 ft off the ground...

I just measured my setup - the bottom of the plasma's bezel is just over 35" above the floor, and 14-1/4" above the top of my Salamander rack. We sit about 10'-6" from the screen and feel the mounting height is fine. If I had to take the panel off the wall for any reason, I might adjust the arms to lower it a few inches. That would put the centerline of the screen that much closer to eye level.

I installed our 141 with a tilting-style mount, thePeerless OneMount. Wide enough to attach to the Pioneer's wide mounting hole pattern, and beefy enough to hold two 141's. I also liked the fact that I was able to span across three studs with this mount.

Good luck and keep us posted!
post #3954 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Here are my thoughts:

I would never normally buy from a dealer which was not authorized as I dont think you would get a warranty BUT, in light of the fact 141s are so hard to find these days if it meant I would get a 141 with no warranty vs not getting one at all.....i would take it with no warranty...its that good.

YMMV

Thanks for the feedback.
I actually have a choice of going with an authorized dealer or with an online dealer. Going the online route would save me approx $500. The online dealer says that all I have to do is register the product at the Pioneer website and my warranty is good to go. I'm just not so sure. That's why I wanted to make sure hoping someone here would know for certain how this warranty stuff works.
You think it's better to pay the $500 more and go the authorized route?

Thanks again!
post #3955 of 5267
I went with a local authorized dealer just because of the delivery horror stories I read from those ordering off the Internet. Granted, they are probably just a small fraction of all those that have purchased their Kuros that way, but I wasn't willing to take a chance since these monitors are becoming rare.

As far as warranty is concerned, when I had my Pioneer AVR in for service, they required a copy of the original invoice. I imagine that they do the same with the Kuros. Whether they check the dealer listed on it before authorizing a warranty repair, I can't say, but the invoice tells all if they do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
I actually have a choice of going with an authorized dealer or with an online dealer. Going the online route would save me approx $500. The online dealer says that all I have to do is register the product at the Pioneer website and my warranty is good to go. I'm just not so sure. That's why I wanted to make sure hoping someone here would know for certain how this warranty stuff works.
You think it's better to pay the $500 more and go the authorized route?

Thanks again!
post #3956 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
I actually have a choice of going with an authorized dealer or with an online dealer. Going the online route would save me approx $500. The online dealer says that all I have to do is register the product at the Pioneer website and my warranty is good to go. I'm just not so sure. That's why I wanted to make sure hoping someone here would know for certain how this warranty stuff works.
You think it's better to pay the $500 more and go the authorized route?

Thanks again!

I'd pay the $500. It's not worth risking thousands just to save what amounts to be a few bucks in relative terms. Also, I would be highly suspicious of a dealer that tells you what they told you. I find it hard to even swallow a scenario where just registering your panel with Pioneer, even though you it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer, would activate the manufacturer's warranty. If this were the case, you would see a mad rush of people here on the forums doing it. Just based on this alone, lots of red flags are being raised with me about doing any business with them.
post #3957 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

You can get a service remote on ebay but you have a display with a two year warranty and a defect. Open box or no that means there's normally no charge.

By the way, even if you're right about the problem (that's it's a failed backup which is not about backing up your picture settings) the fix isn't to run a manual backup, the fix is finding out why there's an MDU issue and that means a service call.

I appreciate your comment. If I am right about the problem that it's a failed backup and an MDU issue, what sort of impact does this have on the life of the panel or picture quality?

I had bought this TV open item with 200 hrs of use so I thought it was relatively new. I am within my return period to bring it back and I will if I find any major problems with it. To add to this situation, I also bought an open item XBR8 that I have sitting right next to it for picture quality comparison. One of them is going back

I have always been an LCD person and very loyal to Sony for their quality products, but I had to buy the Elite to see what every videophile talks about. I'd like to think I have the pinnacle of both technologies in my living room duking it out. I am leaning towards the plasma for it's overall more natural look. My main concern with the plasma is it's reliability and buzzing issues.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your input as to the MDU and failed backup problem. If I am within my warranty period to have a Pioneer tech service the display I just may do that. Do they typically make house calls or will I have to haul this over to them?

Thanks again for your comments.
post #3958 of 5267
i saw the list of compatible wall mounts for the 141 in the op, but does anyone know of an alternate table top stand to the ts01?

my media center has 4 inch rails on each side of the top that the 141 doesn't clear attached to the ts01...
post #3959 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

If I am right about the problem that it's a failed backup and an MDU issue, what sort of impact does this have on the life of the panel or picture quality?
...
If I am within my warranty period to have a Pioneer tech service the display I just may do that. Do they typically make house calls or will I have to haul this over to them?

If it's just a failed back-up it might be relatively benign although if the primary memory has to be replaced the panel state will be lost. I wouldn't believe that that's the only problem though without a service call. Service would normally be in-home but I've heard that there's a maximum distance from the service facility. A call to Pioneer will get it sorted out.
post #3960 of 5267
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouhhan View Post

i saw the list of compatible wall mounts for the 141 in the op, but does anyone know of an alternate table top stand to the ts01?

If you mean you want it higher then the 6020 stand will lift it high enough to clear an undermount speaker.

See Adapting the Pioneer 6020 stand for use with the KRP-600M (A Guide with Pics) or in your case not adapting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread