or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Popcorn Hour A-110 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Popcorn Hour A-110 Owners Thread - Page 86

post #2551 of 2788
What are your video out settings on the PCH set to - output resolution, framerate etc?
post #2552 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Also, what is the container Wryker is using? I have confirmed that the A110 chokes on high bitrate mkvs (i.e. Avatar) but plays fine if the same movie is in an m2ts.

Every rip with ToNMT is either .ts or m2ts - no mkvs. It's not an audio loss/drop, and it's not the entire scene 'freezes' - it's certain items/people in-motion that 'strobe' for a few seconds. Zombieland had it a lot.
Video set to 24fps/1080p.
post #2553 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Every rip with ToNMT is either .ts or m2ts - no mkvs. It's not an audio loss/drop, and it's not the entire scene 'freezes' - it's certain items/people in-motion that 'strobe' for a few seconds. Zombieland had it a lot.
Video set to 24fps/1080p.

I'm sorry Wryker, if you previously said...but what's your display?

CD
post #2554 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I'm sorry Wryker, if you previously said...but what's your display?

CD

Do you mean my TV? Mitsy 73835. The BDs play fine on my PS3.
post #2555 of 2788
hey folks.. just fyi.. A-110 refurbs are $105 and in stock at the pch site. I just ordered one to set on the shelf for "just in case".

post #2556 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

hey folks.. just fyi.. A-110 refurbs are $105 and in stock at the pch site. I just ordered one to set on the shelf for "just in case".


Thanks for the info! Just ordered myself a back-up A-110.
post #2557 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

hey folks.. just fyi.. A-110 refurbs are $105 and in stock at the pch site. I just ordered one to set on the shelf for "just in case".


Considering, probably not a bad idea at all. Wish I had the dough to pick-up 2 or so.

CD
post #2558 of 2788
I'm new to this thread but have been reading up.I just purchased the a-110 used with 1 tb HDD installed. I connected it to my pc and used Ext2fsd to get it to recognise the drive on my pc via the slave usb port. However when I went to delete unwanted material on the drive (movies ,music,his old files) it wont allow me to, saying it's "write protected".
I've searched these this thread and the threads at mediatank..com to no success finding a solution. I hope someone has a solution here and thank you in advance for the help....looking forward to getting involved !
Thanks
post #2559 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by repomambo View Post

I'm new to this thread but have been reading up.I just purchased the a-110 used with 1 tb HDD installed. I connected it to my pc and used Ext2fsd to get it to recognise the drive on my pc via the slave usb port. However when I went to delete unwanted material on the drive (movies ,music,his old files) it wont allow me to, saying it's "write protected".
I've searched these this thread and the threads at mediatank..com to no success finding a solution. I hope someone has a solution here and thank you in advance for the help....looking forward to getting involved !
Thanks

You need to check the admin rights on the harddrive. This is a common issue - you need to set up the drive to allow read, write, edit access from your PC and PCH.
post #2560 of 2788
Does anybody know if there is any way to uniquely control two A-110s in the same location? In other words does the A-110 have the ability to switch to an alternative IR codeset? All of my equipment is in a media closet in the basement with a hardwired IR system. I'm guessing I'm out of luck but just figured I'd ask.
post #2561 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

You need to check the admin rights on the harddrive. This is a common issue - you need to set up the drive to allow read, write, edit access from your PC and PCH.

That was the problem though, I couldn't access the internal hard drive to do that.
I did use the EXT2FSD program and enabled it to run on start up of pc and it did eventually allow me to see the drive in "my computer". From there it locked up a few times and I needed to reboot my pc but eventually I did get what I wanted deleted and added onto it.

Thanks for the help!!
post #2562 of 2788
I have an A100 and an A110 on order. I would like to be able to play the files on USB drives that are connected to one unit on the other one. I have been testing this by trying to play the files on the 100's USB drive on a networked computer and on a ROKU HD1000 using the NFS server. They will play on either if the video bit rate is not too high otherwise I get a lot of skipping. If I copy one of the high bit rate files to the 100's internal hard drive it still skips using the NFS server but will lay perfectly connecting to 100 using UPnP. I have two full 2TB USB drives so copying all the files to the internal drive is not an option and even copying a single movie takes a hour or so is not usually practical. Any solution to sharing the USB drives with high bit rate files? If it matters the files are MPEG2 transport stream files and very roughly skipping occurs around 15 mbits per second. Files above 30 mbits per second will play OK using UPnP.
John
post #2563 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

I have an A100 and an A110 on order. I would like to be able to play the files on USB drives that are connected to one unit on the other one. I have been testing this by trying to play the files on the 100's USB drive on a networked computer and on a ROKU HD1000 using the NFS server. They will play on either if the video bit rate is not too high otherwise I get a lot of skipping. If I copy one of the high bit rate files to the 100's internal hard drive it still skips using the NFS server but will lay perfectly connecting to 100 using UPnP. I have two full 2TB USB drives so copying all the files to the internal drive is not an option and even copying a single movie takes a hour or so is not usually practical. Any solution to sharing the USB drives with high bit rate files? If it matters the files are MPEG2 transport stream files and very roughly skipping occurs around 15 mbits per second. Files above 30 mbits per second will play OK using UPnP.
John

For high bit rate files you need to use an http server such as myihome. To do this from one of the PCH you will need to install an internal drive and install the apps, one of which is myihome Lite. But I think people have had problems with high bitrate files between PCH with this. Could you put the USB drives on a PCH and stream them to the PCH from there using http? That is what I do to my two A-110 without issue.
post #2564 of 2788
I have an internal hard drive with a bunch of applications on it including myihome. I am not sure if anything other than a PCH can be a client for it though. So I don't know hot to test it. Can you see the attached USB drives using myihome? It might work since the UPnP server can work on high bit rate files. The problem with the UPnP server is that it can't see the USB drives.
Thanks John
post #2565 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

I have an internal hard drive with a bunch of applications on it including myihome. I am not sure if anything other than a PCH can be a client for it though. So I don't know hot to test it. Can you see the attached USB drives using myihome? It might work since the UPnP server can work on high bit rate files. The problem with the UPnP server is that it can't see the USB drives.
Thanks John

Good point, the other clients may only be able to see the internal drive and not the attached USBs, not sure.
post #2566 of 2788
I have a 1TB internal drive on my A110 and I've attached 7 USB drives. I can view every drive from my PC. Both the A110 and my PC are on my network. In the manual for the A110 it tells you how to map your USB connected drives to view on your PC. I'm at work so I can't look it up. Basically you 'add network drive', ensure all the drives have security set so you can access (read/write) to them, need the password (default is "1234") and then map the drive (something like 192.198.[it's IP address - you should make it 'static' otherwise you'll have to map the drives every time it connects to your network!]\\usb-a-1...) Like I said, I'm at work so I don't know the exact mapping address but it's in the tri-fold that came with the PCH. I rip from my PC directly to the mapped drives BD/HDDVDs.
post #2567 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I have a 1TB internal drive on my A110 and I've attached 7 USB drives. I can view every drive from my PC. Both the A110 and my PC are on my network. In the manual for the A110 it tells you how to map your USB connected drives to view on your PC. I'm at work so I can't look it up. Basically you 'add network drive', ensure all the drives have security set so you can access (read/write) to them, need the password (default is "1234") and then map the drive (something like 192.198.[it's IP address - you should make it 'static' otherwise you'll have to map the drives every time it connects to your network!]\\usb-a-1...) Like I said, I'm at work so I don't know the exact mapping address but it's in the tri-fold that came with the PCH. I rip from my PC directly to the mapped drives BD/HDDVDs.

True, but that is for PC to NMT...he is looking for NMT to NMT. I don't think myihomelite can see the usb drives, but someone else would have to confirm.

He could do as you said and map drives between the PCHs but that will choke on high bitrate files, need to use http.
post #2568 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

True, but that is for PC to NMT...he is looking for NMT to NMT. I don't think myihomelite can see the usb drives, but someone else would have to confirm.

He could do as you said and map drives between the PCHs but that will choke on high bitrate files, need to use http.

ah - got it. I've been unsuccessful viewing any BD over my network from either PC to PCH, PCH to PC, PCH to WD HD LIVE TV, WD HD LIVE TV to PCH, etc etc...always chokes and freezes.
post #2569 of 2788
What hard drives are everyone using with their 110? I just put in an order for one, but have no idea which drive solution is best. Internal, external, full size, laptop, usb, etc?? What are your thoughts?
post #2570 of 2788
I like Icy Docks on my PC and Popcorn Hours. Just move eSata drives between them.
post #2571 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I like Icy Docks on my PC and Popcorn Hours. Just move eSata drives between them.

So do you have your Icy Dock hooked up via the sata port inside the PH with cables coming out the side? If its hooked up via USB doesn't that defeat the purpose(transer speed) of using eSata?
post #2572 of 2788
No I have small hard drives in the Popcorn Hours and Icy Docks hooked up via USB, which is as fast as SATA transfer.
post #2573 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

No I have small hard drives in the Popcorn Hours and Icy Docks hooked up via USB, which is as fast as SATA transfer.

Man this thread sure is dead. What kind of drives are you using inside the PH Gary?
post #2574 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 View Post

Man this thread sure is dead. What kind of drives are you using inside the PH Gary?

It's dead because the A-110 is old, and just works (and when it doesn't, it's been around long enough that its owners usually know what to do). What's there to talk about?

CD
post #2575 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 View Post

Man this thread sure is dead. What kind of drives are you using inside the PH Gary?

Doesn't really matter. Any you find particularly quiet and cheap for the capacity you want which for me is small because I only keep the apps on them.
post #2576 of 2788
I have a WD Green drive in my PCH and use Fantom Green drives attached via USB since all of them spin-down when not in use to conserve energy. I'm not pleased that more and more BD rips are 'stuttering' on my A110 and wonder if that would go 'away' with the A200 and that video chip.
post #2577 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I have a WD Green drive in my PCH and use Fantom Green drives attached via USB since all of them spin-down when not in use to conserve energy. I'm not pleased that more and more BD rips are 'stuttering' on my A110 and wonder if that would go 'away' with the A200 and that video chip.

I have yet to have one that stutters, all via apache http on PC.
post #2578 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I have yet to have one that stutters, all via apache http on PC.

HTTP is definately the only way to go if you have high bitrate on the A100/A110.

I used myIhome for the past couple years and now have moved to Unraid with webserver installed. Seems just as good so far.

A-110 is a very solid, capable streamer.
post #2579 of 2788
Zombieland is a prime example that I've posted in several forums that stutters a lot. All of my rips are to HDs directly connected to the PCH (not streamed). If you have it, watch it at the 10% mark when the kid steps forward towards Woody Harrelson - stutter there and then a short time later when the kids does a 'warm-up' before exploring the truck that's off the road. I see it in Cars at the beginning when the helicopter flies over the arena (it's not the entire frame that stutters - just the action part) on Quantum Solace there are examples and I have many more...and it's not due to USB since Cars is on the internal HD.
post #2580 of 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

HTTP is definately the only way to go if you have high bitrate on the A100/A110.

I used myIhome for the past couple years and now have moved to Unraid with webserver installed. Seems just as good so far.

A-110 is a very solid, capable streamer.

BD/HDDVD rips included? Don't know how HTTP is 'better' than having the drive directly plugged into it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Popcorn Hour A-110 Owners Thread