or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony Next Generation Blu-ray Mega Changer Anticipation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony Next Generation Blu-ray Mega Changer Anticipation Thread - Page 16  

post #451 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbraga View Post

I ordered mine on monday, and to my surprise it was here today, but I cannot get my esscient vision to find it, has any one got it to work with there escient?
chris

Escient has not yet done the work on it yet. They still don't even know if they're going to control it via HDMI or RS232. This from the mouth of Escient earlier this week.

It will be months before we'll be able to see an Escient user interface. I'm assuming that yours will be able to work via firmware or software upgrade.

Nick
post #452 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg777 View Post

I should have been more specific James. It is in fact the time it takes to load the metadata from Gracenote that I was referring to. And now that I've had time to think about it for as many disks I loaded it wasn't really that bad. Less than a minute per disk. I have edited my post above.

Jim

Cool, Jim. Yeah, that was my inclination as well, less than a minute per disc is "doable". Much different than a music library where you could have tens of thousands of albums, artists, songs, etc.

Real happy for you guys. Hope the unit does 95% of what we're hoping for.

James
post #453 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Much different than a music library where you could have tens of thousands of albums, artists, songs, etc.
James

Ouch! Now that would be torture.
post #454 of 650
I called them and they do not know what happened. They just revamped their website and looks cooler, but in the process the BD Mega changer got lost
post #455 of 650
Just to comment on sbg777's kind words. My theater is controlled by a PC (not an HTPC) but a fanless, dead quiet, black box hidden in a cabinet. The control is a Pronto PRO directing the PC from a very nice GUI over WiFi.

The theater has always had as one of its modules a DVD librarian which handles all DVD's or BR discs. It is driven by DVD Profiler which is where I register my discs as I buy them. The librarian shows tiles only on the main screen 50 at a time. Click on a title and the full DVD profiler information record for that disc is brought to the screen. Titles can be viewed by date entered or alphabetically. Click on Play and the correct changer is selected, the correct slot accessed, and the disc is played. At the current time for a BR disc it tells the viewer to insert the dicc in the BR player and click OK, the player having been powered up and the tray opened. I have been waiting for the BR megachanger for obvious reasons.

The same code, the Librarian, exists for the Pronto Pro (9600 or 9800 only due to LCD real estate), but does require access to a server to get the information from.
post #456 of 650
Any pics of the GUI up yet?
post #457 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gufazi View Post

Any pics of the GUI up yet?

The GUI from the HES-V1000 is, I believe, the same as on the changer. I'm trying to bring up photos from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiscus View Post

HES-V1000 Review Owner Review

HES-V1000 in all its glory

Clicking on the BD/DVD option brings up the titles of loaded movies.



Manuals and marketing info.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=HESV1000

Thanks,

Nick
post #458 of 650
for those of you with an Escient - with this gui - why do I need the Escient integration - other than to integrate my DVD's, Ripped DVD's and now BluRay all in on simple GUI. This may be sufficient to organize my Blu-Ray discs. If so - I may opt for the 200 disc changer which is the unit that does not work with the Escient.
post #459 of 650
If anyone's brave enough to unscrew the top cover, I'd be very interested to see a picture of the changer mechanism... That's if it's not hidden underneath circuit boards.

How easy is it to use the GUI?

Also, does it play PAL DVDs?
post #460 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

for those of you with an Escient - with this gui - why do I need the Escient integration - other than to integrate my DVD's, Ripped DVD's and now BluRay all in on simple GUI. This may be sufficient to organize my Blu-Ray discs. If so - I may opt for the 200 disc changer which is the unit that does not work with the Escient.


The other unit is also 400 discs.

This GUI does give Escient fans--like me--something to think about. It is not as good as Escient's, but it is leagues better than what Sony offered before.

Nick
post #461 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

The GUI from the HES-V1000 is, I believe, the same as on the changer. I'm trying to bring up photos from another thread:
Thanks,

Nick

That is what the GUI is like.

Jim
post #462 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus wood View Post

If anyone's brave enough to unscrew the top cover, I'd be very interested to see a picture of the changer mechanism... That's if it's not hidden underneath circuit boards.

How easy is it to use the GUI?

Also, does it play PAL DVDs?

The GUI is very simple to use. I don't have any PAL DVDs so I can't comment on that.

Jim
post #463 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

The other unit is also 400 discs.

This GUI does give Escient fans--like me--something to think about. It is not as good as Escient's, but it is leagues better than what Sony offered before.

Nick

I'm a huge Escient fan too but I don't know if it's $4k better than the default GUI of the Sony. I guess if I could pick up a used one for well under $2k I would consider it.

Jim
post #464 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg777 View Post

I'm a huge Escient fan too but I don't know if it's $4k better than the default GUI of the Sony. I guess if I could pick up a used one for well under $2k I would consider it.

Jim

Yes, I think this GUI is going to be an obstacle for Escient. The truth is that the main attraction to the Escient GUI is the colorful cover art that identifies the disc, and you get that with this model.

Escient's Vision series has a controller for $2000, that controls only one changer. You then go up to $4000, but it will control 3 changers. There's also a $6000 model, but the difference between the two is how much of your standard DVDS can be stored on a hard drive, which can then be exported to multiple rooms in the house.

I'll determine after living with it for awhile whether I really need an Escient, and there's no issue now, since the Escient units cannot yet control this changer.

By the way, if anyone is interested in using BD Live with this player, you need to buy a $20 (or less) external storage device, identified in the manual. I ordered mine last night from Amazon, a 4gb device.

Happy changing.

Nick
post #465 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Yes, I think this GUI is going to be an obstacle for Escient. The truth is that the main attraction to the Escient GUI is the colorful cover art that identifies the disc, and you get that with this model.

Escient's Vision series has a controller for $2000, that controls only one changer. You then go up to $4000, but it will control 3 changers. There's also a $6000 model, but the difference between the two is how much of your standard DVDS can be stored on a hard drive, which can then be exported to multiple rooms in the house.

I'll determine after living with it for awhile whether I really need an Escient, and there's no issue now, since the Escient units cannot yet control this changer.

By the way, if anyone is interested in using BD Live with this player, you need to buy a $20 (or less) external storage device, identified in the manual. I ordered mine last night from Amazon, a 4gb device.

Happy changing.

Nick

I haven't spoken with a dealer, but from Escient's own website there are several misstatements above.

First, the reason for the Escient is that if you want to use more than one changer, you need to use Escient as I don't think there is any way to get one interface for multiple changers just using the Sony changers.

Second, for the prices, the 2K model supports 1 changer with no internal HD, the 4K model supports 4 changers with 1TB internal for ripped DVD's, and the 6K model also supports 4 changers with 2tb for ripped DVD's.

The sweet spot seems to be the 4K model as that allows for control of up to 1,600 Blu-Rays.

There is an also an 8K server for DVD's only, but at that price for 4TB, the Kaleidescape system seems like a better deal for SD DVD's.

Additional info here: http://www.escient.com/literature/visionsellsheet.pdf
and here: http://www.escient.com/press/release...nCEDIA2008.pdf
post #466 of 650
There is also a complete solution for controlling the Escient system using the Philips Pronto PRO as the remote. This solution provides full control and cover art. I did not write it but I know the writer well and he only produces products a professional programmer can be proud of.

My solution involves a PC server and no Escient controllers, my Compatriots solution uses no PC but does require the Escient controller. We obviously talk to each other. They both are functionally identical at a high enough level. They allow you to select discs with an interactive GUI housed in a hand held remote control and command the changers to load and play the disc.
post #467 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Yes, I think this GUI is going to be an obstacle for Escient. The truth is that the main attraction to the Escient GUI is the colorful cover art that identifies the disc, and you get that with this model.

Escient's Vision series has a controller for $2000, that controls only one changer. You then go up to $4000, but it will control 3 changers. There's also a $6000 model, but the difference between the two is how much of your standard DVDS can be stored on a hard drive, which can then be exported to multiple rooms in the house.

I'll determine after living with it for awhile whether I really need an Escient, and there's no issue now, since the Escient units cannot yet control this changer.

By the way, if anyone is interested in using BD Live with this player, you need to buy a $20 (or less) external storage device, identified in the manual. I ordered mine last night from Amazon, a 4gb device.

Happy changing.

Nick

I own a escient dvm 552 with 5 sony changers, I also own a vision which I am going to use with up to 4 changers someday I already have 2 , but escient is draging there feet and I cannot connect them.
I also used to own the sony hes 1000 server with 200 blueray changer, which I sold and bought the vision to replace it.

The escient menu and catalog system blows the sony out of the water, thats why I bought the vision unit.
In april of 2008 sony came to my house, (2 engineers from japan, and a market reserach guy) to do a study on how I was using the hes-1000 they went to 2 others people houses also, at the time less then 120 hes-1000 had been sold.

They wanted to know what would make there unit better, One of the things I told them how the escient menu was much better, they had me turn it on and they video taped the screen as I scrolled around on it. they agreed it was easier to navigate and faster.
I already have close to 400 blu-rays that why 1 unit with sony's guide is not really a option for me.
chris
post #468 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

I haven't spoken with a dealer, but from Escient's own website there are several misstatements above.

If the two higher end support four changers instead of three, then that's wrong. Don't know where you get "several misstatements," though. Where?

Quote:


First, the reason for the Escient is that if you want to use more than one changer, you need to use Escient as I don't think there is any way to get one interface for multiple changers just using the Sony changers.

I'm sure that's right. But I didn't mention anything like that.

Quote:


Second, for the prices, the 2K model supports 1 changer with no internal HD, the 4K model supports 4 changers with 1TB internal for ripped DVD's, and the 6K model also supports 4 changers with 2tb for ripped DVD's.

Right, and the difference is how many DVDs you can store on the hard drive. I said that, too.

Thanks,

Nick
post #469 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbraga View Post

In april of 2008 sony came to my house, (2 engineers from japan, and a market reserach guy) to do a study on how I was using the hes-1000 they went to 2 others people houses also, at the time less then 120 hes-1000 had been sold.

They wanted to know what would make there unit better, One of the things I told them how the escient menu was much better, they had me turn it on and they video taped the screen as I scrolled around on it. they agreed it was easier to navigate and faster.
I already have close to 400 blu-rays that why 1 unit with sony's guide is not really a option for me.
chris

It's absolutely amazing to me that Sony's own engineers would not even know about the Escient user interface. I own 6 Escient units (4 DVDM100s, and 2 DVDM300s) and, I think, 8 Sony DVP-CX777ES units. The Escients have been controlling Sony changers for at least 5 years, and a few Kenwood changers as well. You could argue that the very reason for Escient's existence was, at one time anyway, keyed strictly to the existence of Sony changers, so you would think that Sony would know about them.

Even a bit of rudimentary research on competition should tell them that. Escient is owned by D&M Holdings (Denon & Marantz).

I'm probably at about 250 Blu-rays, so I hear you.

While the Escient interface is far more elegant, it was absolutely necessary with the DVD changers. I wouldn't call it that indispensable with this GUI on the Sony. To each his own, though. I'll probably wind up with an Escient at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Nick
post #470 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbraga View Post

I own a escient dvm 552 with 5 sony changers, I also own a vision which I am going to use with up to 4 changers someday I already have 2 , but escient is draging there feet and I cannot connect them.
I also used to own the sony hes 1000 server with 200 blueray changer, which I sold and bought the vision to replace it.

The escient menu and catalog system blows the sony out of the water, thats why I bought the vision unit.
In april of 2008 sony came to my house, (2 engineers from japan, and a market reserach guy) to do a study on how I was using the hes-1000 they went to 2 others people houses also, at the time less then 120 hes-1000 had been sold.

They wanted to know what would make there unit better, One of the things I told them how the escient menu was much better, they had me turn it on and they video taped the screen as I scrolled around on it. they agreed it was easier to navigate and faster.
I already have close to 400 blu-rays that why 1 unit with sony's guide is not really a option for me.
chris

Chris - I own an Escient Vision also but I highly doubt I will ever own more than 400 Blu Rays. I also understand that Escient will only work with the ES version. Therefore - I am wondering if it makes any sense to spend an extra $800 to integrate the Sony player with my Escient now that Sony has a better GUI. I guess it is only money - but I also want a new projector.
post #471 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

It's absolutely amazing to me that Sony's own engineers would not even know about the Escient user interface. I own 6 Escient units (4 DVDM100s, and 2 DVDM300s) and, I think, 8 Sony DVP-CX777ES units. The Escients have been controlling Sony changers for at least 5 years, and a few Kenwood changers as well. You could argue that the very reason for Escient's existence was, at one time anyway, keyed strictly to the existence of Sony changers, so you would think that Sony would know about them.

Even a bit of rudimentary research on competition should tell them that. Escient is owned by D&M Holdings (Denon & Marantz).

I'm probably at about 250 Blu-rays, so I hear you.

While the Escient interface is far more elegant, it was absolutely necessary with the DVD changers. I wouldn't call it that indispensable with this GUI on the Sony. To each his own, though. I'll probably wind up with an Escient at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Nick

nick-
these guys were from sony japan and there only job was to work on the hes-1000 server, I think it is a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand.
I have a lot of sony stuff, including sonys distrbutuion system, and they were not familiar with it.
chris
post #472 of 650
By no means am I convinced there won't be a way to control multiple changers through the Xross Media bar. Seeing that a PS3 and multiple changers could all be easily connected to a LAN via ethernet, what would be the obstacle for a PS3 or "base" changer from locating, consolidating, and controlling multiple changer libraries?

Nothing, as far as I can tell.

I honestly know little about this escient system you guys are speaking of, other than it seems to be an extremely pricey alternative to using the Xross GUI, even if it does offer superior control and/or display.

Just my $.02

James
post #473 of 650
Thread Starter 
I'd like to weigh in on a few issues. #1: 400 BD's. You could not have convinced me that I would eventually buy more than 400 DVD's over a decade ago, but once I bought the Escient DVDM-100 and 3 CX777ES changers, I was off and running. I have at least 700 DVD's in my collection and it happenned relatively fast. I do have about 100 slots empty as the rest are filled with SACD's and CD's. My point is: Once you buy the CX7000ES, you WILL start buying blu-ray's at a alarming rate. Just because! #2: The Escient. The Escient was a key component to the changers because of the internet based cover art and information. Hand typing each entry, along with getting more than one changer to play together was a real pain in the butt. The GUI was a joke and the Escient was (at that time) close to the creation of the microwave oven. If the CX7000ES can acquire cover art on its own, the only real issue will lie with those with more than one changer. Oh, and let me just say that Escient has been awful when it comes to cover art support for SACD's. #3: Piggyback. What happens when the end user reaches 400 BD's and needs another changer? Can Changer #2 begin at disc #401? #4: Cost. The CX777ES had a msrp of $800.00. I also own a M555ES CD changer that had a msrp of $700.00. The CX7000ES has a msrp of (wait for it) $1,900.00?????? Are you sh#@in' me? What's up with that? No SACD support? No wi-fi capability? No dual HDMI outputs? Jeez, Louise! The least Sony could have done was throw in a BD title or two and a HDMI cable in the box. As a owner of four ES changers, I'm completely floored by the retail price of this unit. I thought the money I spent for the PS3 was fair for what it did and could do, but this is rediculous. It feels like Sony is selling me a $1.00 per foot speaker cable for $15,000.00 because the letters ES are etched in gold on the terminals.
post #474 of 650
Thread Starter 
Qualifier: Clearly, I am a big fan of NOT having to open a cabinet, eyeballing through hundreds of BD jackets looking for a movie, removing the disc and hand feeding it into a single disc machine (or worse-having others fingerprint the $28.00 disc and hand feed it). The 11K bucks + required to fill the CX7000ES is justification enough to warrant a lower price for the changer.
post #475 of 650
good summary! However - I am sure that it is because it costs 8K-11k to fill this bad boy up - Sony is thinking what's another 2k for these guys.

I also love my 4 existing Sony Changers - but $1900 just does not feel right
post #476 of 650
Of course it doesn't feel right, Richard. It is ISN'T right.

There's nothing wrong with paying a premium for a premium product, but at nearly a 240% increase, for marginally "improved" performance (if at all...some are not crazy about the artificial edge enhancement of the "reality enhancer one bit) and an extra 4 years on a warranty, it's nearly robbery, truth be told. BTW the Richard, you'd be spending $1100 more to gain the Escient control seeing the CX is $799 and the ES is $1899.

And this is coming from the guy who is INCHES away from purchasing one just because he's so impatient.

Seeing you can purchase a 3 year extended warranty for $150 for the CX right from Sony's site, are you telling me we're spending $1000 for the reality enhancer, an extra year or two of warranty and possibly needless Escient connectivity?

good grief. This is not a bash on anyone who has bought the ES, btw. Like I said, only a miracle will keep me waiting for the CX. But, if I do spring for the ES, I know I'll be laughing at myself in 90 days when I think about getting 95+% of the product for 40% of the price in the CX.

The end game is: Sony knows the "impatiency game of the well-heeled consumer" FULL-WELL, and currently prices the ES accordingly. This is nothing new, as they've been playing this game with their televisions for decades. I feel the real dilemma for those who are waiting will arrive when the CX hits the streets and Sony IMMEDIATELY drops the "price hold" of the ES and consumers are able to then purchase the ES for around $1300 after a bit...right where it probably should have been priced to begin with. Then, you could have a reasonable, honest, debate on whether or not the unit warrants the extra $500 (still a 60+% increase!) or so over the CX (assuming you can't nab a CX for $700ish shortly after its release ).


James
post #477 of 650
Question to those who bought the 7000ES already:
In the cases when Gracenote does not recognize the disc:
Can you manually enter the art work and title?
post #478 of 650
Well, hindsight is always 20/20, so when the $800 model arrives, it's quite possible that the "ES" on the front will look a lot like "HH"--as in Ha Ha, idiot, you couldn't wait a few months?

But . . . do not discount the ability to be controlled by Escient. We may see some reasonableness in pricing from Escient that makes things more palatable. Although I'd bet anything that BD playback on the players is identical.

This is not a great justification for paying the extra buck, but, aside from general impatience, there is no other justification. So we can justify purchasing these things, just not very well.

To make matters worse, mark my words on this: You will see the ES readily available at a significant discount from $1900, once the $800 model is available. But that may be a bit more salt than my wounds can handle.

Nick
post #479 of 650
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by czalamar View Post

Question to those who bought the 7000ES already:
In the cases when Gracenote does not recognize the disc:
Can you manually enter the art work and title?

That's a good question. I didn't see a keyboard plug or hear mention of manual inputs with this unit, either.
post #480 of 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by czalamar View Post

Question to those who bought the 7000ES already:
In the cases when Gracenote does not recognize the disc:
Can you manually enter the art work and title?

Yes, but as far as I know you have to use the remote to do so.

Jim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony Next Generation Blu-ray Mega Changer Anticipation Thread