Originally Posted by Paul_Martinsen
I'm having an intermittent problem with my DVD playback on my 706. I've been trying to see if anyone has had the same trouble but couldn't find it described in the forum, so maybe I have the setup wrong or was unlucky enough to get a faulty unit.
I have a TX-SR706 + BD-35 Bluray player + PT-AX200E projector. I see intermittent green glitches during playback on about 2/3 of the DVDs & Bluray disks I've played on it. It usually only occurs 1-2 times during the movie, but 6 times on one disk.
This really ruins the movie as I sit there waiting for the glitches to occur. It is a shame because the sound is much nicer than on my previous system.
Incidentally, when I say "green glitch", I mean I see a very very short (maybe only a frame or two) flash of green during playback.
I've spent a month trying to figure out where the problem arises since I bought the Bluray player & 706 at the same time and I wasn't sure which was the culprit.
* No glitches if the video doesn't go through the 706. That is, I connect Bluray player to the projector (using an HDMI cable & HDMI repeater) & use optical digital cable from Bluray to 706. Of course, only dolby sound this way.
* No glitches if the video source is my laptop. That is, I play the DVD on my laptop and connect that to the 706 via HDMI. Playback on the laptop wasn't great though. Fast scene changes were sort of sluggish. However, I suspect the laptop is the culprit there.
* I never had any trouble during playback of the DVDs on my Yamaha system, though that was component video. I couldn't play Bluray on that system (hence the upgrade!).
* The glitches aren't repeatable. That is, if I "rewind" after seeing a glitch, it doesn't repeat in the same place.
* There was much discussion in this thread about overheating in early versions of the 706, but mine doesn't seem to run very hot. Also, it is the middle of winter here in New Zealand, so there is a bit of head room for temperature.
* If I use the HDMI repeater between the 706 & my projector I just see a blue screen. Sometimes it flashes as though it is trying to display an image, but it never stabilises. I imagined some kind of handshaking going on between the projector and the player that isn't working through the repeater & the 706. But if I connect the bluray player to the projector thru the repeater without the 706, playback is fine.
* The problem occurs both on standard DVDs and hi-def blu-ray disks, but I've tried setting the bluray output as standard DVD & letting the projector upscale. The projector often does a better job at upscaling, but the glitches remain when the signal passes through the 706.
* The bluray player has a "compatibility" mode. I had to turn this on to get a picture to begin with, but after I upgraded the bluray player's firmware it works in normal mode. I'm not sure what "compatibility" mode does, but the green glitches appear whether it is on or off.
* I have the 706 set to "pass-through" mode. Though from reading through this thread, it appears the 706 still decodes then recodes the HDMI signal.
The faultless playback when I connect the projector directly to the blu-ray player & the problem with the HDMI repeater when the 706 is in the loop has lead me, tentatively I must admit, to the conclusion that the 706 is the culprit. I couldn't find any settings that seemed relevant, but it could be I've not set it up properly.
I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's seen a similar problem or can offer suggestions that might fix the problem. If it is a known problem, it will be easier to convince the store they should fix or replace my unit.