or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Sons of Anarchy' on FX HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Sons of Anarchy' on FX HD - Page 3

post #61 of 1214
'Sons of Anarchy' to go for another spin
FX gives drama 13-episode second-season order
By Kimberly Nordyke

Oct 6, 2008,


FX has picked up "Sons of Anarchy" for a second season.

The motorcycle-club drama from creator/exec producer Kurt Sutter has been given a 13-episode order for its sophomore run, with stars Charlie Hunnam, Katey Sagal and Ron Perlman on board. John Linson and Art Linson also exec produce the drama, from Fox 21 and FX Prods.

While first-run episodes of the drama are performing modestly, FX cited the series' cumulative viewership numbers in announcing the pickup. On a weekly five-telecast cume basis, "Sons" is averaging 3.5 million adults 18-49, and the fourth week of the show delivered 1% more viewers in the demo than its premiere week. In total viewers, the series is averaging 5.4 million on a cumulative basis and is off only 3% from its premiere.

"We've never had a drama hold up so consistently in its first five weeks on the air," FX president/GM John Landgraf said. "It hasn't buckled in the face of broadcast competition, and it's fantastic from a quality standpoint."

New episodes air at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...be41f2468f254e
post #62 of 1214
It definitely deserves it...best new show on TV
post #63 of 1214
LOL ... so after 5-6 weeks, I finally figured out the acronym SAMCRO(w) ... and this after being a Mil-rat for 10yrs ... I'm so ashamed.
post #64 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1 View Post

'Sons of Anarchy' to go for another spin
FX gives drama 13-episode second-season order
By Kimberly Nordyke

Oct 6, 2008,


FX has picked up "Sons of Anarchy" for a second season.

The motorcycle-club drama from creator/exec producer Kurt Sutter has been given a 13-episode order for its sophomore run, with stars Charlie Hunnam, Katey Sagal and Ron Perlman on board. John Linson and Art Linson also exec produce the drama, from Fox 21 and FX Prods.

While first-run episodes of the drama are performing modestly, FX cited the series' cumulative viewership numbers in announcing the pickup. On a weekly five-telecast cume basis, "Sons" is averaging 3.5 million adults 18-49, and the fourth week of the show delivered 1% more viewers in the demo than its premiere week. In total viewers, the series is averaging 5.4 million on a cumulative basis and is off only 3% from its premiere.

"We've never had a drama hold up so consistently in its first five weeks on the air," FX president/GM John Landgraf said. "It hasn't buckled in the face of broadcast competition, and it's fantastic from a quality standpoint."

New episodes air at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...be41f2468f254e

Yowsuh!

To quote the most overused line on the show:

"Its ALL good"

(except maybe Jax, although he has become a little more tolerable, but not much)

_________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #65 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

LOL ... so after 5-6 weeks, I finally figured out the acronym SAMCRO(w) ... and this after being a Mil-rat for 10yrs ... I'm so ashamed.

5-6 weeks?? Okay, turn in your cut, you're out of the club!

____________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #66 of 1214
The tattoo removal was BRUTAL!!! They aren't messin' around. The Jax character is getting better. I'm so pleased its already been renewed.
post #67 of 1214
Another very well done and entertaining episode tonight. This was very light on the violence, and brought it back to the characters very well I thought. Too many gunfights in too short a time frame would really get out of hand on the reality scale. I thought this episode was very good.

Oh, and Peg Bundy is awesome!!! Talk about emotions on overload!!! Great move with the skateboard too. Tony Hawk ain't got sh*t on her!!!
post #68 of 1214
I enjoyed it...
post #69 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Yup, another real quality ep while the plot continues to thicken. I'm impressed by how well they are weaving the character development and the action, to keep both solid AND plausible. Love the new ATF chick. When can we expect the smackdown between her and Gemma?

____________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #70 of 1214
I just cant wait till next week to see what Jax does to det. kohn.
post #71 of 1214
Man I love this show. Great dialog and the new ATF chick is a hoot (and HOT). This has to be one of the best shows this season, IMO.
post #72 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Man I love this show. Great dialog and the new ATF chick is a hoot (and HOT). This has to be one of the best shows this season, IMO.

To quote Bill Murray - "That's the Fact, Jack"

__________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #73 of 1214
this episode was very good.
post #74 of 1214
shot on Panavision Genesis (resolution is 1920x1080) digital camera

other Television series shot with the Panavision Genesis include Night Stalker, Conviction, What About Brian, Justice, 3 Lbs.



http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirm...F7533A7D809EDF
post #75 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspaz View Post

shot on Panavision Genesis (resolution is 1920x1080) digital camera

other Television series shot with the Panavision Genesis include Night Stalker, Conviction, What About Brian, Justice, 3 Lbs.



http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirm...F7533A7D809EDF

So, would this be the only successful series shot with that camera? That's almost as bad as having a Superman curse...
post #76 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

So, would this be the only successful series shot with that camera? T

according to this the 2008-2009 season of Law & Order (the main series) is now shot on the same camera.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1032558&page=2

as well as SHOWTIME'S 'THE TUDORS'
http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirm...47801DFB53D8A8
post #77 of 1214
Another great episode last night...this show is all quality.

It really seems like the rift between Jax and Clay really seems to be building...can't wait to see where this goes...
post #78 of 1214
I agree. They are definitely writing this for the long haul. Obviously there's more to last nights story than even Lowell knows. Loved the name choice there by the way...idiot Lowell the mechanic Some people still have a sense of humor.

For all the "I hate Jax 'cause of his tough-guy walk" behavior you must be rejoicing now!!! I'm sure the writers heard your comments and now, after last night's barbershop incident, have a legitimate reason to have him gimping around like a wanna-be tough guy!!! Don't you feel better now? I'm joking of course, 'cause it never really bothered me that people didn't like it. I thought it added to his insecurity and youth. Ron Perlman, grizzled veteran, doesn't need to "act" tough with his walk because he is the size of a bear! That, and I'm 99% certain there's a grave somewhere with Jax dad in it...filled with bullets from a certain SAMCRO leader.

I have to think that's where they are going with that story line. Set up a power play between the old-guard and new-guard in the group. I'll be interested to see if they have the balls (figuratively speaking since they did cut a guys' off already) to off some of these main players involved thus far. I don't think Jax can carry the show alone without Perlman and the other lunatics (including the REALLY weird dude who felt up the corpse). But that sure seems to be the way they are carrying these story lines. There HAS to be a confrontation eventually. It can't be strung along forever nor forgotten about.

Oh, and how great was the boxing match at the end? I laughed my arse off at that one! 'Half Sack' is a riot!
post #79 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

That, and I'm 99% certain there's a grave somewhere with Jax dad in it...filled with bullets from a certain SAMCRO leader.

Yeah they had been hinting it since the beginning but this episode left very little room for doubt on what happened.

One thing and its just minor. When they said "samcro rehab" did they mean they were gonna take him somewhere and let him dry out or just take the guy out and execute him?
post #80 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

One thing and its just minor. When they said "samcro rehab" did they mean they were gonna take him somewhere and let him dry out or just take the guy out and execute him?

I took it to mean he was rehabing at the shop .
post #81 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

Yeah they had been hinting it since the beginning but this episode left very little room for doubt on what happened.

One thing and its just minor. When they said "samcro rehab" did they mean they were gonna take him somewhere and let him dry out or just take the guy out and execute him?

I took that as meaning an either/or. No reason to lose an asset unless it becomes clear that it has become a potential liability. If Lowell can clean up his act, he's still a good mechanic and offers value to the MC.

OTOH, if he can't and might jeapordize the MC because of things he knows concerning the SOA and his father, well it won't be a great idea to let someone who knows where the bodies are buried and is stuck on 'junk', to be hanging around for the ATF or some other fed group, or rival MC to exploit.

I can't exactly say why, but I'm getting the feeling that Lowell is more than what he seems, and that there might be an interesting tie-in between him, his dad, Jax's dad, Clay, and the real power-that-be, Gemma.

As to the long term possibilities for an impending gang rift for power, obviously every week cannot be sustained by a showdown between the old guard and new guard, so I suspect that much of it will be dedicated to the politics and cross-overs between that SOA factions and the rival groups.

Btw, I'm still trying to figure out exactly why Clay sent Half-sack over the edge at the boxing match, when it would likely inure to the MC's financial detriment generally? That one may come back to haunt him someday in the future.

____________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #82 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Btw, I'm still trying to figure out exactly why Clay sent Half-sack over the edge at the boxing match, when it would likely inure to the MC's financial detriment generally? That one may come back to haunt him someday in the future.

I think that Clay had no intention of pissing off Half-Sack like that. He gave Cherry Butt his blessing, she hugged Clay, and Half-Sack just happened to look at them when the hug took place.
post #83 of 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

I think that Clay had no intention of pissing off Half-Sack like that. He gave Cherry Butt his blessing, she hugged Clay, and Half-Sack just happened to look at them when the hug took place.

That is correct. That is also why Clay took the blame for it. Considering they had that fight fixed, supposedly, I'm sure they can just have him take a dive later and still make a ton.
post #84 of 1214
Which is kind of strange, if you think about it. Knowing that SOA could have half-sack take a dive at any time, why would the others running the fights want to take such large bets from them AGAINST half-sack? We're talking serious money here. And shouldn't SOA now need way MORE money than they did before since they lost all those bets???

Holes aside, this was another great ep. Certainly seems like the 'skeletons in the closet' will all come out over time. And I like Jax's character, personally. I don't think he's a tough-guy wannabe at all - he is one, and will be more and more conflicted when it goes against his sense of what's right in the code of honor he maintains.
post #85 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Man, I always thought there was something a little weird about Jay Karnes' character on 'The Shield', but nowhere even close to the league of the stalking cop last night.

Another really fine episode for what will likely turn out to be one of the very best new series of the summer/fall.

Good to see Mitch reappearing through the Stargate in order to try to set the SOA's and the Mayan's gun barrels at each other, while both would just as soon kill him. Half-Sack's theft of the ambulance was also pretty funny, and sonuvabitch, it actually turned out to br useful. Other than having just half-a-sack, this guy's leading almost as charmed a life as Jax

And am I the only one who thinks the Gemma-Tara throwdown is going to hit even before the Jax-Clay rumble?

_________________________________________________

Palladin

Chance favor the prepared mind
post #86 of 1214
I love this show! A great episode and a glimpse of what is to come with the Mayans and SOA. I was so glad the ATF agent got what was coming to him. He annoyed the piss out of me. Something about his mouth and the way he acts just bugged me. Always looked like he was about to hurl or want to stick out his tongue (similar to Scott Wolf...ugh!). Anyway, the follow up after the ATF struggle was genius! Sex after death. Good times.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask is did they explain the scar on Gemma's chest? They focus in on it during the intro and I don't recall it ever being discussed in episodes thus far. Maybe I just missed it?
post #87 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

I love this show! A great episode and a glimpse of what is to come with the Mayans and SOA. I was so glad the ATF agent got what was coming to him. He annoyed the piss out of me. Something about his mouth and the way he acts just bugged me. Always looked like he was about to hurl or want to stick out his tongue (similar to Scott Wolf...ugh!). Anyway, the follow up after the ATF struggle was genius! Sex after death. Good times.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask is did they explain the scar on Gemma's chest? They focus in on it during the intro and I don't recall it ever being discussed in episodes thus far. Maybe I just missed it?

Don't know either. I never noticed it until last night, and not sure it was ever shown before. IIRC, the whole congenital heart issue which might create a scar came from the Teller side of the family. Still a lot of back story to go, but I wouldn;t be totally shocked to learn it was a tattoo that had something to do with Jax's dad, and that Gemma had it removed by her own initiative to prove her loyalty to Clay, or perhaps because Clay was insistent it be removed once they hooked up and knocked off Teller. Anyone else have the backstory on this?

___________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #88 of 1214
If I recall correctly, from the first episode discussing Jax's baby and the family heart defect, it came from her side (Gemma) of the lineage. She touched her chest and scar at one point in a discussion with Jax regarding that and saying that they had strong wills to survive and such. I'm 99% certain that is where the backstory on the scar came from and that Jax had a similar issue as his own son when he was born. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure.
post #89 of 1214
I missed the first couple of episodes and haven't had a chance to watch them online yet. Who is the mother of Jax's baby?
post #90 of 1214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

If I recall correctly, from the first episode discussing Jax's baby and the family heart defect, it came from her side (Gemma) of the lineage. She touched her chest and scar at one point in a discussion with Jax regarding that and saying that they had strong wills to survive and such. I'm 99% certain that is where the backstory on the scar came from and that Jax had a similar issue as his own son when he was born. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Well, if you got it DVR'd and are that certain, I'll take your word on it, but I remember that discussion from the pilot a little bit differently. My take was that Gemma was trying to reassure Jax, by telling him how strong his father's bloodline was while they were talking about the incubated baby. And I think she made some kind of reference to Jax having a younger brother who died from the same congenital heart problem. We'll see.

In any case, I'll be disappointed if the show doesn't revisit gemma's rack (push-up bra or not), on a semi-regular basis.

______________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Sons of Anarchy' on FX HD