or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 2

post #31 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The uber-voluptuous Joan Holloway on 'Mad Men' is played by the uber-voluptuous Christina Hendricks, who many of us remember fondly - very fondly, I might add - from her breakout role as Saffron "Reynolds" in the late, great series 'Firefly', already referenced here by lwien a few posts above. Certainly a woman worthy of a restraining order.

Oh Geez, now I'm ashamed. Saffron (I still think of her as Mrs. Mal) was responsible for a couple of great eps and probably should have been a regular part of the cast if the show didn't tank so early on. I always thought Joan looked slightly familiar, but I don't recall Saffron looking quite so, 'cough' umm, 'robust' (best euphemism I can think of at the moment) during her FF stints. Hot, well assembled and athletic, yes. But nowhere like how she is currently.

____________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #32 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Oh Geez, now I'm ashamed. Saffron (I still think of her as Mrs. Mal) was responsible for a couple of great eps and probably should have been a regular part of the cast if the show didn't tank so early on. I always thought Joan looked slightly familiar, but I don't recall Saffron looking quite so, 'cough' umm, 'robust' (best euphemism I can think of at the moment) during her FF stints. Hot, well assembled and athletic, yes. But nowhere like how she is currently.

Check those eps out again, especially the second one she was in ("Trash"...?). She certainly looked...impressive...in those frilly blouses. Much sexier, IMO, than that armored personnel carrier, complete with twin pointed missile launchers, of a dress she's usually painted into on MM. Now, excuse me; a cold shower awaits.
post #33 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Check those eps out again, especially the second one she was in ("Trash"...?). She certainly looked...impressive...in those frilly blouses. Much sexier, IMO, than that armored personnel carrier, complete with twin pointed missile launchers, of a dress she's usually painted into on MM. Now, excuse me; a cold shower awaits.

Mad Men is a 'period piece', and obviously she was intended to be our first line of defense in the midst of the Cuban missle crisis. Slim Pickens was merely backup.

________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #34 of 6444
Hendricks also had a nice arc on Life last year.
post #35 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I find this shocking, just shocking. That perfect skin, perfect bone structure, cute-as-a-button figure seductively hidden behind those perfectly tailored power suits - and this is what clinched it for me - that glorious mane of perfectly coiffed straight red hair, nary a strand out of place even as she was being spun into a giant cocoon or being violated by invasive alien probes. Oooh-la-la! No, my friends; a thousand times no. Dana Scully was a thinking man's sex symbol, no matter what head you may have been thinking with.

Hmmmm, in light of recent events, wonder if DD ever hit on that?

preach on, brother!

I image googled Anna Torv, and... well, let's hope the show is good.
post #36 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The uber-voluptuous Joan Holloway on 'Mad Men' is played by the uber-voluptuous Christina Hendricks, who many of us remember fondly - very fondly, I might add - from her breakout role as Saffron "Reynolds" in the late, great series 'Firefly', already referenced here by lwien a few posts above. Certainly a woman worthy of a restraining order.

ohmygod, you're right. I never made the connection because on MM they pumped her vavavoom up to 11.
post #37 of 6444
SD on WBFF in Baltimore. HD on WTTG in Washington.
post #38 of 6444
HD quality not that great!
post #39 of 6444
Giaccino is a talented dude, but he needs to distinguish the sound design; sounds a bit too much like Lost. The opening scenes did, anyway.
post #40 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I find this shocking, just shocking. That perfect skin, perfect bone structure, cute-as-a-button figure seductively hidden behind those perfectly tailored power suits - and this is what clinched it for me - that glorious mane of perfectly coiffed straight red hair, nary a strand out of place even as she was being spun into a giant cocoon or being violated by invasive alien probes.

Hey, you took my quote out of context! I'm saying she started out homely, and then got VERY hot as the series progressed (by 2nd season?). C'mon, look at her in the first episode! Was her hair even red?...maybe barely? The make-up crew sculptured her in unbelievable ways from that point. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I'm saying they keyed in on her native features to great success!
post #41 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Giaccino is a talented dude, but he needs to distinguish the sound design; sounds a bit too much like Lost. The opening scenes did, anyway.

And Lost sounds just like Alias. He's a one-trick pony. I expect he'll inject the Star Trek theme with a whole lot of shrill violin action as well.
post #42 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

SD on WBFF in Baltimore. HD on WTTG in Washington.

WBFF went to HD at 8:19.
post #43 of 6444
I'm liking it so far.
post #44 of 6444
Im hooked.
post #45 of 6444
Thread Starter 
When did you guys see this? Can't wait for tonight. Will record it then watch....I hate commericals!

cheezz
post #46 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Oh Please! Based upon what I saw on Late night TV, Torv has about as much presence as a glass of skim milk. OTOH, Gwneth Paltrow can be smart-sexy by just reciting the dictionary.

Jennifer Garner always seemed like a total dunce in person. That didn't prevent her from being compelling on Alias.
post #47 of 6444
Thought it was a great show. Most network shows I like and start to watch end up canceled though.
post #48 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezz View Post

When did you guys see this? Can't wait for tonight. Will record it then watch....I hate commericals!

cheezz

NOT much Commericals... Mostly Movie trailers.
post #49 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_o_00 View Post

Thought it was a great show. Most network shows I like and start to watch end up canceled though.

You and me both
post #50 of 6444
Wow....that was a great premiere. This might be the best show FOX has put on in a very long time. Very well written, directed and acted and it looked and sounded absolutely fantastic in High-Def. My only hope is they can continue the momentum through the season and if they do, I feel we are in for the next Lost. I can see this show going very far and being one of those AAA shows on TV.

Loved the 60 second commercials too (even though I fast forwarded through most of them )
post #51 of 6444
Hopefully this show lasts. It looks interesting.
post #52 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Giaccino is a talented dude, but he needs to distinguish the sound design; sounds a bit too much like Lost. The opening scenes did, anyway.

It did but a lot of the rest was different....I enjoyed the score. It really polishes a series and makes it seem more like a feature film than a TV show.
post #53 of 6444
LOST repackaged, no thanks.
post #54 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike-dude View Post

LOST repackaged, no thanks.

I don't know if you've watched Lost in awhile, but the main characters are stuck on an island....unless I'm mistaken, Boston isn't an island...
post #55 of 6444
Well part of it was shot in Manhattan (I recognized the corner of Broadway and Chambers) which is an island. . .

But I do agree it's not Lost. What bugged me though is why would a doctor locked up in a mental institution be wearing colored contacts?
post #56 of 6444
With all the strings Olivia was pulling to get things done in her investigation, I'm going to call bs on her being unable to get access to Walter without his son's help. Like the government can't get someone out of an institution if it is believed that they can help a top-level case!?

Liked the show enough to hook up the ol' season pass...for now, anyway.
post #57 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post

With all the strings Olivia was pulling to get things done in her investigation, I'm going to call bs on her being unable to get access to Walter without his son's help. Like the government can't get someone out of an institution if it is believed that they can help a top-level case!?

Liked the show enough to hook up the ol' season pass...for now, anyway.

I think the reasoning behind that was that Broyles didn't want to bring any unwanted attention to the yet unsolved case. They didn't know that getting Walter out of the Mental Institution would lead to (somewhat) resolving the case. There were definitely some plot holes...but nothing giant that really took you out of the premise...
post #58 of 6444
Great pilot. Looks very promising ..
post #59 of 6444
Meh, decent show.

Honestly, if it weren't for the show's sense of humor, particularly with the mad scientist, I'd already be out. The main drama isn't very good at all.

Several of the comic relief moments were very funny. Loved 3/4 of the cast sitting there eating Chinese, watching Spounge Bob and hanging out with a cow. The show desperately needs to keep this element, because their science is outright dumb and their dramatic effect is limited. If this show works at all it is going to be with a bit of that House or Firefly element of likable characters and good humor amid the drama.

Kinda reminds me, in the basic dynamics of the cast, of Men in Trees. You have a female lead who at best is interchangeable surrounded by a strong supporting cast of much more enjoyable characters than her. Fortunately the lead actress isn't as overtly unlikable as Anne Heche was on men in Trees.

Has absolutely terrible monster-of-the-week potential. I mean in an Outer Limits TOS way... ugh...

I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray they keep their sense of humor.
post #60 of 6444
Note to self:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Never tell someone you love them, because that means you will be snuffed out or horribly disfigured within the next act of the show you are on.


Wow, what a start- is this supposed to be the "gross you out Halloween" episode? I will hate to see what the real Halloween episode will have in it...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD