or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 177

post #5281 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

WTF happened to Jones?? Everyone here assumed he was the 'key' to all of this and now his character is vapor (literally).

I don't know exactly what happened to Jones, but one thing I remembered is that Jones originally died by getting sliced in half by Peter Bishop. And Jones essentially turned to ash on the same side that Peter sliced off. So maybe there's some correlation there? As to why he turned to ash I have no idea... or even why the beatdown he received was enough to kill him. Color me confused too.

Overall I was a little underwhelmed with this particular episode. Yeah it was cool to see Bell back but if this were the 2nd to the last episode ever, I would have been severely disappointed. Let's hope the season finale brings it all together (Bell, Jones, the universes, the Observers, etc.). Although I really don't see how it could.
post #5282 of 6444
I feel fairly certain that Jones is gone for good. (FYI, the actor is playing Professor Moriarty in the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies).

Since there supposedly wasn't a second ending shot, next week is supposed to come to a conclusion intended to be a reasonably satisfying end to the series. It should be interesting .
post #5283 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I feel fairly certain that Jones is gone for good. (FYI, the actor is playing Professor Moriarty in the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies).

More importantly, he portrays Lane Price on Mad Men.
post #5284 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

More importantly, he portrays Lane Price on Mad Men.

True, but how is that more important ? He does get many more hours of work doing that, of course.
post #5285 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Loved the episode for the intensity and the "surprise" appearance of a certain individual...

Otherwise though it felt all over the place...2 amazing, huge catastrophes contained by the Fringe division way too easily/quickly...and until (if) we find out why I don't understand the motive behind creating those 2 types of fringe events.

What will also be interesting to watch for next week is the fact that the finale was made as a series finale so will it include things like:

1) September told Olivia that "she had to die"

2) Who is this "Mr. X" that was going to be the one to kill her?

As well as any other question that has been left unanswered...when the showrunners created this finale it had to be thought of as their last chance to tie things together at the time...should be interesting to see what they've done with it...

In the preview for part 2 of the season finale, Jessica Holt says, "This was a future he didn't foresee."

Jessica Holt was the woman that Olivia saved by reducing Jessica's temperature. I think this will be a significant event in part 2 of the season finale, but we will have to wait to find out what it really means.
post #5286 of 6444
I liked the Musak verison of Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face" at the beginning
post #5287 of 6444
Did anyone else think it was more than a little lame the way Olivia "moved" Peter like a puppet when he was fighting with Jones? I don't know--I just didn't buy it.
post #5288 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

Did anyone else think it was more than a little lame the way Olivia "moved" Peter like a puppet when he was fighting with Jones? I don't know--I just didn't buy it.

I thought I was a bit too convenient that she suddenly developed advanced telekinesis when in the past her control has been mostly technopathy.

It did look a bit stupid too. If Olivia had that amount of control it would probably have been easier just to take control of Jones.
post #5289 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

More importantly, he portrays Lane Price on Mad Men.

More more importantly is that he is also the son of the actor Richard Harris.

They sound very alike. I'm amazed I never realized until last month.
post #5290 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I thought I was a bit too convenient that she suddenly developed advanced telekinesis when in the past her control has been mostly technopathy.

We've seen her exercise control over electricity (electrokinesis) but not actually controlling electronics to make them do something specific that she wants them to do (like Micah in Heroes) which would be technopathy. She has that power to cross between universes and when she was a child she exhibited pyrokinesis in at least one instance, blasting a room while she huddled in a corner, terrified. Who knows what she can do? I think that they mostly just make her capabilities up as they go along .
post #5291 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

More more importantly is that he is also the son of the actor Richard Harris.

Now that surprises me.
post #5292 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

Did anyone else think it was more than a little lame the way Olivia "moved" Peter like a puppet when he was fighting with Jones? I don't know--I just didn't buy it.

It reminded me of those dopey commercials for that Hugh Jackman boxing robot movie.
post #5293 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclancy View Post

I liked the Musak verison of Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face" at the beginning

+1 What no love for " Alex " ? Yeah running Nimoy's name in the credits which run over the action and can't be avoided really kills the surprise. Did Jones get electrocuted before he went ashes to ashes?
post #5294 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I don't know exactly what happened to Jones, but one thing I remembered is that Jones originally died by getting sliced in half by Peter Bishop. And Jones essentially turned to ash on the same side that Peter sliced off. So maybe there's some correlation there? As to why he turned to ash I have no idea... or even why the beatdown he received was enough to kill him. Color me confused too.

Me too. Earlier on in the season we saw Olivia shoot Jones point blank to the face and it did nothing. He "rebuilt" his body on a subatomic level, if I recall. So how he just suddenly turned into ash after a fist fight is beyond me. Makes no sense.
post #5295 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I don't know exactly what happened to Jones, but one thing I remembered is that Jones originally died by getting sliced in half by Peter Bishop. And Jones essentially turned to ash on the same side that Peter sliced off. So maybe there's some correlation there? As to why he turned to ash I have no idea... or even why the beatdown he received was enough to kill him. Color me confused too.

In both time lines, Jones transports out of the German prison. And he suffers from the same side effect in both, the loss of molecular cohesion. Olivia shoots Jones in both time lines too. First, right before Peter cuts him in half in the Season 1 finale and again this season after she is held hostage and Jones is escaping through the portal. Both times the bullets pass right through him. So even though he looks better in this timeline, he is still unstable at the molecular level. And I saw it the same as acebreathe. I don't think he died from the beat down. The last punch knocks him down onto the cables for the transmitter and they show a shower of sparks. He was electrocuted and then his face disintegrates because he is unstable.
post #5296 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Me too. Earlier on in the season we saw Olivia shoot Jones point blank to the face and it did nothing. He "rebuilt" his body on a subatomic level, if I recall. So how he just suddenly turned into ash after a fist fight is beyond me. Makes no sense.

I don't recall him ever claiming to have rebuilt himself. The only thing I remember being discussed is when Peter first meets him while in the holding cell, Peter suggests that he recovered due to DNA grafts. Jones doesn't acknoledge Peter's guess one way or the other. I just assumed that was the same procedure the Asian shape shifter stole from the kidnapped ex-MD scientist that perfected the new shape shifters. And presumably, what Jones bartered with Col. Broyles to cure his son. But who knows, I doubt we will get an answer either way.
post #5297 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

I don't recall him ever claiming to have rebuilt himself. The only thing I remember being discussed is when Peter first meets him while in the holding cell, Peter suggests that he recovered due to DNA grafts. Jones doesn't acknoledge Peter's guess one way or the other. I just assumed that was the same procedure the Asian shape shifter stole from the kidnapped ex-MD scientist that perfected the new shape shifters. And presumably, what Jones bartered with Col. Broyles to cure his son. But who knows, I doubt we will get an answer either way.

In the episode "The End Of All Things", Olivia tried preventing Jones from crossing the portal and shot him in the neck (I just assumed it was the face) which had no effect on him. Jones then said and I quote, "It seems there are some fringe benefits to having ones body reassembled on an atomic level". He never used the word "rebuilt", but "reassembled" pretty much means the exact same thing.

So again, how he crumbled after an electric shock baffles the mind when he was apparently impervious to bullets or resistant to conventional injury.
post #5298 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

So again, how he crumbled after an electric shock baffles the mind when he was apparently impervious to bullets or resistant to conventional injury.

I don't know why that would be baffling.

You can shoot a lump of jell-o... and the bullet goes right through... but electrocute it, and the jell-o melts.

The electricity would disrupt his body's tenuous cohesion at the molecular level... a bullet would not.
post #5299 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

We've seen her exercise control over electricity (electrokinesis) but not actually controlling electronics to make them do something specific that she wants them to do (like Micah in Heroes) which would be technopathy. She has that power to cross between universes and when she was a child she exhibited pyrokinesis in at least one instance, blasting a room while she huddled in a corner, terrified. Who knows what she can do? I think that they mostly just make her capabilities up as they go along .

I only take it as her abilities are finally developing into a usable state. How emotionally invested she is to that particular moment seems to be a strong contributing factor. When it comes to Peter (after falling in love with Peter), I suppose the possibilities are limitless, figuratively. Who knows...maybe they have been perfecting this in the bedroom all along? Of course, we would never be privy to the specifics...
post #5300 of 6444
Check me on something:

Blue Olivia received cortexiphan as a child. She displayed various uncontrolled abilities throughout her life.

Red Olivia never had cortexiphan.

We learned in S3 that Olivia's genetic makeup was permanently changed by the cortexiphan.

Amber Olivia also received cortexiphan as a child, but also recently was given more by Jones.

So these new manifestations could be the product of those "booster shots." As far as we know, she is the only person ever to be treated with cortexiphan as a child and again as an adult, right?

(Side note: I would hesitate to try to classify these new abilities as "classic" superpowers, like "the ability to absorb heat" or "the ability to control someone else's body." I'm getting more of a vibe of "the power to change reality," or the ability to "make it so." She may not be consciously deciding "I'm going to siphon off this thermal reaction" or "I'm going to take control of Peter's body," but rather "I want this woman to cool down" and "I want Peter to win this fight."

Just speculating out loud, here.
post #5301 of 6444
It makes sense to me!...except she did seem to take a pretty direct role in marionetting Peter's motions. That one is hard to explain in any other way than it looked.
post #5302 of 6444
Don't forget... our Olivia did get some boosters as an Adult in the old timeline. Pretty sure she had some to help her crossover to rescue Peter.

I know she used some to get back home when Alternate-Broyles was helping her to escape.

However, those other Cortexiphan-kids didn't get any as an adult (as far as we know) and many of them had issues as adults in the old timeline... but I guess not so much in the new timeline.

Basically, there are some yet-to-be-connected dots.
post #5303 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I know she used some to get back home when Alternate-Broyles was helping her to escape.

Was that cortexiphan, or more of the same drugs Walternate was using initially?

Even if it was, though, that edition of Olivia is not the one we're seeing now. Even if she has BluLivia's memories now, her body has a different history, one that not only includes the Florida experiments but also being raised by Nina. No telling what differences there might be.
post #5304 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

We've seen her exercise control over electricity (electrokinesis) but not actually controlling electronics to make them do something specific that she wants them to do (like Micah in Heroes) which would be technopathy. She has that power to cross between universes and when she was a child she exhibited pyrokinesis in at least one instance, blasting a room while she huddled in a corner, terrified. Who knows what she can do? I think that they mostly just make her capabilities up as they go along .

We now know Olivia is the Kwisatz Haderach.
post #5305 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

We now know Olivia is the Kwisatz Haderach.

This is almost appropriate, since she should be able to navigate the paths of time as well or better than the Observers. And Cortexiphan is the Spice!
post #5306 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Was that cortexiphan, or more of the same drugs Walternate was using initially?

Even if it was, though, that edition of Olivia is not the one we're seeing now. Even if she has BluLivia's memories now, her body has a different history, one that not only includes the Florida experiments but also being raised by Nina. No telling what differences there might be.

Definitely Cortexiphan... Walternate discovered it by interrogating Olivia...

I know it is a different Olivia now... but the question I was responding to was whether or not this incarnation was the only adult who ever got additional Cortexiphan boosters.
post #5307 of 6444
I've always read this thread to see what theories you guys have and what not, but I usually just sit back and enjoy the show. Since the 2nd half of season one, I haven't really had anything to complain about.

But this past episode was bad. It's like they flew through several episodes-worth of plot points, so it felt sort of like a jumbled mess. I usually just go along with what Walter says when he comes up with explanations, but for some reason I didn't buy it at all this time around. Combine that with the Real Steel puppetry, Olivia and Peter going to that location without backup (what the what?), and Alex and Walter's horrible B-movie action sequence, and I was laughing for all the wrong reasons.

Hopefully the next episode makes up for it. One bad episode out of dozens is pretty remarkable, but it sure would have been an assy way to close out the series.
post #5308 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I believe they almost had to have him back in the series. At least it made up for the disaster 'lost it's way' episode a few weeks ago.
I didn't see his name in the credits (which was kinda nice) and events leading up to his entry pretty much told me just who was back.

WTF happened to Jones?? Everyone here assumed he was the 'key' to all of this and now his character is vapor (literally).
Has to be the fastest exit of a central character I have seen in some time.

One exits as fast as another re-enters.

Isn't the guy who plays Jones the same dude who plays the British chap partner at the ad agency on Mad Men?
post #5309 of 6444
Maybe the "Real Steel" was an extension of Nick Lane's powers. He had a rooftop full of folks standing on a ledge, basically under his control...

v/r,
C-F
post #5310 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Isn't the guy who plays Jones the same dude who plays the British chap partner at the ad agency on Mad Men?

Yes

See some of the previous posts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD