or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Fringe" on Fox HD - Page 209

post #6241 of 6444
Today is the day. Feeling a little nostalgic.
post #6242 of 6444

I'm looking forward to it too, and glad to have caught my timer mistake last night.  TVGOS seems to be fading away this week, so without the guide for help, I manually extended the timer by an hour.  Oops!! I forgot that Fox prime time ends at 10, so the finale starts an hour early, rather than going an extra hour.  Close call! 

post #6243 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Today is the day. Feeling a little nostalgic.

And bittersweet. I've always thought of 'Fringe' as "the little sci-fi show that could." Against all odds - meaning lack of adequate Nielsen numbers - this show has always delivered for us beleaguered TV science fiction fans. Hate to see it end, but I'm glad they've been able to go out on their own terms. That's rare, especially in this genre.
post #6244 of 6444
Damn! I thought there was another week left (13 episodes), but forgot about the 2-hour finale, which is basically 2 episodes in a row.
post #6245 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

A very nice appreciation of Fringe, particularly of the acting. Spoiler-free, as far as I can see.

In the end, `Fringe' was all about identity
Very good read, thank you for posting that.
Quote:
Noble's performances, though, have been the show's tour de force. He has played Dr. Walter Bishop as an addled old man, a misguided genius, a ruthless technocrat and a combination of all three , plus a younger version of himselves. What's more, he played "Walternate," the alternate-universe defense secretary whose motives are shadowy but whose methods are downright cruel. Some of the show's most electric moments unfolded when Noble shared screen time with himself , not because of the differences in the characters but because of their similarities even under very different circumstances.

It's an absolute crime that Noble has not been recognized for his work on Fringe, that's probably what I'll miss most about this show, John Noble's performance as Walter Bishop.
post #6246 of 6444
This is it. In a few hours the sun will set on Fringe Division. I'm gonna miss this show. Wish it would have caught on with a larger audience. But then not all shows can be Honey Boo Boo. Here's hoping John Noble brings home an Emmy this year. IMO, he should have a mantle full. So long Fringe.
post #6247 of 6444

Here we go.

post #6248 of 6444
Giddy-up!
post #6249 of 6444
I KNEW IT...Walter was a replicant! tongue.gif
post #6250 of 6444
so why didn't time reset from Walternate discovering the cure (since September never should have existed)

What i've been thinking....


Walter has to remain in the future to keep the observers from existing - thus that explains why he disappears in 2015 (to keep the universe from creating a paradox)

But how do they explain the observers showing up before that point?

Walter could have disappeared in the 1980s after his Peter died - and the world should have gone on from there - Peter living in the Red with Walternate.

I dunno - I've got conflicting thoughts about this and cant get it together.

A lot of things could've been resolved if they decided the observers were from the Red universe - but it doesn't seem they went that route (unless I missed something)
post #6251 of 6444
I loved this series and am sad to see it go. I just hope they come out with a complete series blu ray set which includes a lot of extras because I still have a lot of unanswered questions. Sad to see it end.
post #6252 of 6444
I was nicely entertained for 2 hrs, but honestly, I hadn't a single clue what any of the timeline stuff was about at this point. It was over-convoluted for me to keep up with why and what they were up to. I don't even know what Broyles was trying to do. confused.gif

What was that hemorrhaging eye about, anyway?
post #6253 of 6444
I like the way they went about neutralizing the observers and loyalist with the white power in the air conditioning system.

Almost as sweet as slamming a car into Windom. I was kind of expecting lightening bolts shooting out of Olivia's hands.

Great series.
post #6254 of 6444
[quote name="Mr. Hanky" url="/t/1063404/fringe-on-fox-hd/6240#post_22849431"...snip...

What was that hemorrhaging eye about, anyway?[/quote]

Boy wonder was flexing his muscles.
post #6255 of 6444
Ohhhh!

Ha-ha...did you mean to say "white powder" or "white power"? tongue.gif
post #6256 of 6444
Quote:
Almost as sweet as slamming a car into Windom. I was kind of expecting lightening bolts shooting out of Olivia's hands.
But, was the the boy or Olivia? It sure looked like th boy. wink.gif

What was the deal with the white tulip?
What was in that letter to Peter from Walter?
What was the motion the bot did with his finger to his lips twice?
post #6257 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

But, was the the boy or Olivia? It sure looked like th boy. wink.gif

What was the deal with the white tulip?
What was in that letter to Peter from Walter?
What was the motion the bot did with his finger to his lips twice?

It was Olivia who killed Windmark. First she blew out the lights, then she smashed the bastard before he could teleport away. biggrin.gif

The white tulip was Walter's symbol of hope, his sign that God was listening to him. It refers back to another time travel episode (with Peter Weller). There were several of these throughout the series.

The tulip WAS what was in the letter. Walter intended it as a symbol of hope for Peter, too. I believe Peter understood that, based on his final reaction to seeing it.

I think the boy's "shush" was to let Olivia know that she didn't need to ask him for help - just be quiet and click her ruby slippers together so she and Peter could return to Kansas. The power was in her all along.

So, the "sacrifice" was exile and not death. And as Astrid said, "This isn't over, Walter." She was right. The plan worked. Walter exists in the future, waiting for a Fringe movie to come get him. biggrin.gif
post #6258 of 6444
Oh, and I owe someone a drink. No Etta, dammit!!! (I don't count little girl Etta, because that's not who I thought would be coming back before the end of the season.) I can't remember who I made the promise to, so PM me to claim the strawberry milkshake. biggrin.gif
post #6259 of 6444
Quote:
What was the motion the bot did with his finger to his lips twice?

He was saying to wait and the answer would come, like Astrids idea to use the shipping lane.
post #6260 of 6444
What's with all these unfortunate misspellings?...are you guys typing on iPads (with Apple's "stellar" spell corrector) or something? tongue.gif
post #6261 of 6444
I was honestly hoping for even a 2-3 second glimpse into the future, with a "Hello Walter", and it turns out the scientist that initially created the observers was William Bell. They could have done it using already recorded audio, and even a shot from the back, or of Walters face, to just give it that final what the hell moment.

Enough to leave a half decent question at the end, and bring more than sappy closure.
post #6262 of 6444
So much for my theory it would appear... no way my red-universe theory works with the way they "saved" things.

I too was wondering how the reset only goes back to 2015. A true reset would have wiped out all Observer intervention and changed all kinds of stuff.

But then I thought about it... and while I'm not sure I like it... here's what I think we should assume happens...

Walter + "Michael" go into the future to tell the scientists how to make better humans without sacrificing the emotions. Walter is trapped there anyway, and realizes that IF they don't create any of the Observer future, then Peter will be screwed over and probably never meet Olivia... so Walter works with the people of the future to help create the better humans AND at the same time, sends back better versions of the initial Observer team to do all their Observations.

Remember the part where September is explaining how "they never told us what our mission was"... so, ok, in the new future Walter + "Michael" helps to create... they still send back a team of 12 Observers... but this time it really is just busy-work to ensure that they do all the stuff that they did the previous time around... to ensure that Peter + Olivia + Etta get to 2015 where they were before the invasion happened.

It's the only plausible way to explain why everything didn't reset.

I'm not 100% happy with that as an ending, especially when left completely up to my conjecture... but probably any ending wouldn't have felt completely satisfying. Also, it does leave the door open for a movie or reunion show to explain further.
post #6263 of 6444
I'm sad to see it end. It was a fun ride. What was with the number 518 on Augusts(?) door? They kept highlighting it? Was it the title of a previous episode?
post #6264 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I'm sad to see it end. It was a fun ride. What was with the number 518 on Augusts(?) door? They kept highlighting it? Was it the title of a previous episode?

It was 513: season 5, episode 13.
post #6265 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

It was 513: season 5, episode 13.

Damn whiskey.redface.gif Thanks for that.
post #6266 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

So much for my theory it would appear... no way my red-universe theory works with the way they "saved" things.

I too was wondering how the reset only goes back to 2015. A true reset would have wiped out all Observer intervention and changed all kinds of stuff.

But then I thought about it... and while I'm not sure I like it... here's what I think we should assume happens...

Walter + "Michael" go into the future to tell the scientists how to make better humans without sacrificing the emotions. Walter is trapped there anyway, and realizes that IF they don't create any of the Observer future, then Peter will be screwed over and probably never meet Olivia... so Walter works with the people of the future to help create the better humans AND at the same time, sends back better versions of the initial Observer team to do all their Observations.

Remember the part where September is explaining how "they never told us what our mission was"... so, ok, in the new future Walter + "Michael" helps to create... they still send back a team of 12 Observers... but this time it really is just busy-work to ensure that they do all the stuff that they did the previous time around... to ensure that Peter + Olivia + Etta get to 2015 where they were before the invasion happened.

It's the only plausible way to explain why everything didn't reset.

I'm not 100% happy with that as an ending, especially when left completely up to my conjecture... but probably any ending wouldn't have felt completely satisfying. Also, it does leave the door open for a movie or reunion show to explain further.

Huh?

It's scifi. It isn't going to make complete sense. Just enjoy the ride. smile.gif
post #6267 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Ohhhh!

Ha-ha...did you mean to say "white powder" or "white power"? tongue.gif

I intended to say white powder......and boy, wasn't that some nasty stuff.

It struck me funny when Olivia and Peter were going through the building and we were seeing things popping out of observers stomachs, crawling out of their mouths.....and my personal favorate...the observer whose head was totally missing with blood stains splattered around the floor/ wall.
post #6268 of 6444
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

But, was the the boy or Olivia? It sure looked like th boy. wink.gif

What was the motion the bot did with his finger to his lips twice?

That also has me puzzled. Usually, the gesture means to be quiet. Maybe it had to do with trying to settle Olivia down so she could use her powers???? Don't know.
post #6269 of 6444
HDMe2:

Thanks man, I'll accept that as my official explanation.

Freaken writers... they should spend some time in the forums. smile.gif
post #6270 of 6444
Quote:
It was Olivia who killed Windmark. First she blew out the lights, then she smashed the bastard before he could teleport away.
But, if you remember the look on the boys face at the same time that I took as he was responsible. Also the timing of the cuts back & forth between the two. I just feel it could be either even though one would assume and thought it was Olivia, but as a curve ball, it could of been the boy.
Quote:
I think the boy's "shush" was to let Olivia know that she didn't need to ask him for help - just be quiet and click her ruby slippers together so she and Peter could return to Kansas. The power was in her all along.
Or, don't worry, I will take care of it, which is the way I interpreted the gesture which is the way I took it.. wink.gif
.
Quote:
It struck me funny when Olivia and Peter were going through the building and we were seeing things popping out of observers stomachs, crawling out of their mouths.....and my personal favorite...the observer whose head was totally missing with blood stains splattered around the floor/ wall
It didn't hit me at first until I saw the guy waving his hands at the imaginary bugs flying around and his face getting scratched. Remember the episode when that guy jumps out of the office window when those butterflies (?) he imagined attacked him?
Also remember the other episode where that squid (or whatever that was) came out of the guys stomach? Then the views of those with their heads blown off among others that seem to reflect other 'weird' episodes IIRC. wink.gif

.
Edited by videobruce - 1/19/13 at 6:16am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Fringe" on Fox HD