or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA - Page 54  

post #1591 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Yep - I built many a Heathkit in my day too. Still have them up in the attic. (Hey - is mid 50's considerd an old person ?)

not by us mid 60's folks . Loved those Heathkits, but their VFO's had a chirp.
post #1592 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

Obviously I'm not any younger since I knew what you were talking about, just no gray hairs (lucky genes I guess).

Which implies you still have hair
post #1593 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Heytow View Post

Which implies you still have hair

hair? what's that?

i too loved those heath kits... even though i was never the best in the world at assembling them...
post #1594 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Yep - I built many a Heathkit in my day too. Still have them up in the attic. (Hey - is mid 50's considerd an old person ?)

Nah, just seasoned, and usually wiser.
post #1595 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

hair? what's that?

i too loved those heath kits... even though i was never the best in the world at assembling them...

I made a mess of a couple of simple kits, and I never got past the second cassette on the Heathkit Novice-class morse code training program. All those little dits & dahs sounded the same to me. Even so, it was fun!
post #1596 of 2797
SA1 -- Yes there are 83's in beta testing, and I know one of them (but I can't divulge who).

John Ballentine -- I didn't think you young squirts knew about Heathkits. How about Eico? The Eico FM receivers and Williamson power amps were better than the Heathkits, IMHO (they had better quality transformers and capacitors).

I am still using my Heathkit scope though. It did have two problems, their retrace transistor had a marginal frequency response. I managed to find a faster one (with slightly more gain) in my junk box, and it worked just fine. It also used a 15V capacitor in a 15.25V circuit and it crapped out after about 8 hours of operation. I replaced that one with a 25V capacitor from Radio Shack. After those 2 problems, I took it in to work and ran a burn-in test on it for 168 hours (1 week, 24/7). It's been working ever since.
post #1597 of 2797
The irony here with all this talk and lack of any patience is that when this player is available(early next year), very few people are going to be in a position to buy after the derivative market crashes(expected mid January).
post #1598 of 2797
You say that like everybody owns derivitives.
post #1599 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You say that like everybody owns derivitives.

Most likely Mauro means after the Tsunami effect from the (credit) derivative mkt crashing.....


Mr. Demchak and (at the time) his small group at JPMorgan are the ones credited for creading the first CDS.... a $45 trillion to $60 trillion market now.

Very interesting article I'd reccomend, here http://www.portfolio.com/views/colum...h/?refer=email


If you are into "gloom & doom", some gurus expect the prime loan mkt to collapse around March 09.... that would dwarf e'm all and make this current state of affairs look like child's play

Gman
post #1600 of 2797
Toys and market calls all in one place. One stop shopping at its finest.
post #1601 of 2797
...and while you guys are talking doom & gloom, I'll keep buying up those cheap stocks.....

post #1602 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

SA1 --

John Ballentine -- I didn't think you young squirts knew about Heathkits. How about Eico? The Eico FM receivers and Williamson power amps were better than the Heathkits, IMHO (they had better quality transformers and capacitors).

My father, who is 94 now, used to build Eico kits. This was for his Hi-Fi (pre stereo) outfit.
post #1603 of 2797
Here you go
LL
post #1604 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

Here you go

Wow!
My dad still has that Heathkit receiver -- minus BR.


Mike
post #1605 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

Here you go

nice

remember many of the early Heath kit designs had non isolating power supplies (transformers had one side grounded) with 2 wire plugs that were not polarized, so you could end up with a hot chassis between units

that is how I got my curly grey hair
post #1606 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

here you go

ar-15?
post #1607 of 2797
in response to this player (i just found out today, i know i know, i should come by these parts MORE OFTEN!), I CAN'T WAIT!!!

a few questions:
- i know the spex aren't officially out yet, but there shouldn't be any reasons why DVD-Audio MLP will be excluded right? i have a reasonable collection of both DVD-Audio and SACD and would luv to buy ONE single player to play lossless music whether it comes in the form of BD, DVD-A MLP or SACD.
- again, 2early to tell, but i would hope DSD is bitstream, even 983 didn't have that, only the 970 i believe. i know practically speaking it doesn't make a difference, i'm just OCD .
- is DVDO=ABT? what're the differences in upscale? i would think that at this price range, 983's ABT should be included.
post #1608 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

- i know the spex aren't officially out yet, but there shouldn't be any reasons why DVD-Audio MLP will be excluded right? i have a reasonable collection of both DVD-Audio and SACD and would luv to buy ONE single player to play lossless music whether it comes in the form of BD, DVD-A MLP or SACD.

That's the hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

- again, 2early to tell, but i would hope DSD is bitstream, even 983 didn't have that, only the 970 i believe. i know practically speaking it doesn't make a difference, i'm just OCD .

The only OPPO that has been able to bitstream DSD is the 980H (the 970HD can't do it because it's only HDMI v1.1, and the 983H can't because the video processing section downstream of the Mediatek chip gets in the way somehow). Don't know about the BDP-83 yet, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

- is DVDO=ABT? what're the differences in upscale? i would think that at this price range, 983's ABT should be included.

Yes, DVDO=ABT (with Anchor Bay being the parent company). The DVDO products use ABT chips, just as the 983H does - and as the BDP-83 will (using the ABT2010 that later 983H's use, which is based on the ABT102/ABT1018 combo that the original 983H platform used).
post #1609 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

- i know the spex aren't officially out yet, but there shouldn't be any reasons why DVD-Audio MLP will be excluded right? i have a reasonable collection of both DVD-Audio and SACD and would luv to buy ONE single player to play lossless music whether it comes in the form of BD, DVD-A MLP or SACD.

The original comments from Oppo were that they wanted to include DVD-A, but it wasn't working in the demo model.

Quote:


- again, 2early to tell, but i would hope DSD is bitstream, even 983 didn't have that, only the 970 i believe.

980.

Quote:


- is DVDO=ABT? what're the differences in upscale? i would think that at this price range, 983's ABT should be included.

VRS=ABT. It looks to be built on the same platform as the 983.

-Bill
post #1610 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

in response to this player (i just found out today, i know i know, i should come by these parts MORE OFTEN!), I CAN'T WAIT!!!

a few questions:
- i know the spex aren't officially out yet, but there shouldn't be any reasons why DVD-Audio MLP will be excluded right? i have a reasonable collection of both DVD-Audio and SACD and would luv to buy ONE single player to play lossless music whether it comes in the form of BD, DVD-A MLP or SACD.
- again, 2early to tell, but i would hope DSD is bitstream, even 983 didn't have that, only the 970 i believe. i know practically speaking it doesn't make a difference, i'm just OCD .
- is DVDO=ABT? what're the differences in upscale? i would think that at this price range, 983's ABT should be included.

When they are done you should be able to play all ten of the DVD-Audio titles ever produced. DVD-Audio makes the 6k or so titles in SACD sound large which is large next to the current number of Blu-ray titles. At least the studios seem willing to push Blu-ray unlike SACD or DVD-Audio.

If the audio DACs are the same quality as the ones the rest of the Oppo range use they will be functional but not much more than that. If you use the analog outputs you can cringe at the sound of DVD-Audio, SACD and the other formats equally. They used about the cheapest audio dac available. Plan on using the HDMI audio transmission.
post #1611 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post


If the audio DACs are the same quality as the ones the rest of the Oppo range use they will be functional but not much more than that. If you use the analog outputs you can cringe at the sound of DVD-Audio, SACD and the other formats equally. They used about the cheapest audio dac available. Plan on using the HDMI audio transmission.

From the reviews I've read the Oppo players sound pretty good for DVD-A and SACD playback. Supposed to be the best bang for the buck out there.
post #1612 of 2797
The 980H and 983H use a Cirrus Logic CS4361 DAC. Earlier players used the DAC that was built into the Mediatek chip, I believe.
post #1613 of 2797
so DVD-A isn't confirmed yet =(. but i don't have a lot of these anyways =P. just another wish-list item. if it does, then this is the standalone player i've always wanted =P.
post #1614 of 2797
Waiting makes one stronger?
post #1615 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

If the audio DACs are the same quality as the ones the rest of the Oppo range use they will be functional but not much more than that. If you use the analog outputs you can cringe at the sound of DVD-Audio, SACD and the other formats equally. They used about the cheapest audio dac available. Plan on using the HDMI audio transmission.

Nonsense! Some audiophiles prefer the sound of properly implemented Cirrus Logic DAC's. Sure, there may be better DAC's available, but the performance difference is negligible, and most certainly not proportional to the price premium for those other DAC's.

There was a time that Burr-Brown DAC's were the only ones to have, because their technology and performance was leaps ahead of the competition. That is no longer true. When doing a fair comparison of the DAC's, by using the identical amplification stages, sound reproduction equipment, and properly treated listening environment, in a blind test, it would be pretty much impossible to hear any difference at all.

Using statements such as "functional but not much more", or "cringe at the sound", are highly exaggerated and inflamatory... and definitely cannot be attributed to the DAC's.

Gary
post #1616 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

When doing a fair comparison of the DAC's, by using the identical amplification stages, sound reproduction equipment, and properly treated listening environment, in a blind test, it would be pretty much impossible to hear any difference at all.

Gary

Have you done this?
post #1617 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

Nonsense! Some audiophiles prefer the sound of properly implemented Cirrus Logic DAC's. Sure, there may be better DAC's available, but the performance difference is negligible, and most certainly not proportional to the price premium for those other DAC's.

There was a time that Burr-Brown DAC's were the only ones to have, because their technology and performance was leaps ahead of the competition. That is no longer true. When doing a fair comparison of the DAC's, by using the identical amplification stages, sound reproduction equipment, and properly treated listening environment, in a blind test, it would be pretty much impossible to hear any difference at all.

Using statements such as "functional but not much more", or "cringe at the sound", are highly exaggerated and inflamatory... and definitely cannot be attributed to the DAC's.

Gary

More expensive DAC's result in better sound quality to the market segment that wants to believe that. Double blind tests have never deterred the group that wants to believe something from believing it and it has always been that way with this hobby. I have been buying home audio equipment for over 40 years now and many expensive options that are not audible to me are the choice of others and I have long given up arguing about it. His subjective opinion is fine with me, I don't agree with it but he can voice it.

My Oppo DV-980H sounds better than my Denon DVD-2910 to me, but the difference isn't great and I sure wouldn't argue with someone that feels differently. I don't have a more expensive player to compare and I know both are modest players in terms of price.

Chris
post #1618 of 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

Nonsense! Some audiophiles prefer the sound of properly implemented Cirrus Logic DAC's. Sure, there may be better DAC's available, but the performance difference is negligible, and most certainly not proportional to the price premium for those other DAC's.

There was a time that Burr-Brown DAC's were the only ones to have, because their technology and performance was leaps ahead of the competition. That is no longer true. When doing a fair comparison of the DAC's, by using the identical amplification stages, sound reproduction equipment, and properly treated listening environment, in a blind test, it would be pretty much impossible to hear any difference at all.

Using statements such as "functional but not much more", or "cringe at the sound", are highly exaggerated and inflamatory... and definitely cannot be attributed to the DAC's.

Gary

These all in one dacs are the low budget Cirrus-Logic chips, they make much better ones. Would you say the same if they used the cheapest video de-interlacer and scaler chips? I can say that about my 6 year old DVD player for video, on my 4 year old Vizio 30" LCD I wouldn't see much difference between that and a 983, but I would see a dramatic difference on a good, large 1080p set. Same goes for audio, it is good enough for casual use on a cheap system, analog audio is hardly their forte.

I think Oppo is compromising in the right area, but it needs to be pointed out so that people don't have unreasonable expectations, in the long run you should not use the analog output section but go digital if you care about sound, use the analog section as a bridge until you get an HDMI-1.3 cable receiver or controller.

Finally, better audio and video is a game of chasing diminishing returns, you can pay quite a bit more for relatively small improvements in both (and frequently get neither as well), but they are noticeable and I do cringe at the sound of low budget players. My speakers are the equivalent of a really good 60" 1080p set.
post #1619 of 2797
To whom might interest I did a blind comparison between my 983 and teac vrds20 who is not famous for his dacs. The teac won! So I hope they are implementing a good dac section on the new83.
post #1620 of 2797
I get a kick out of some of the responses here. One person seems to be highly dismissive of putting SACD and DVD-Audio into these units for sound quality reasons.

I have a 970, and it sounds very good. It sends a nice PCM bitstream over HDMI to my receiver. I had a 980 for a brief period, and it send the full bitstream over HDMI. Not that I could tell the difference, and the 970 (once Oppo repaired the broken video board) actually worked better with my receiver than the 980.

I would not buy an Oppo unless it was a superset of at least the 970, if not the 980. Frankly...all this anchor bay stuff does not really stir my emotions. I am happy with my 970 video output...maybe it is because much receiver and TV do quite a bit of processing too.

If they leave out DVD-Audio....guess I'll just buy a cheapo Panasonic and move on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › First pics of Oppo's upcoming BDP-83 BD/DVD/SACD player from CEDIA