or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread - Page 12

post #331 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post

My experience with this receiver is that it does not "pass thru" the signal without screwing with it first which can cause many different anomolies. I hope that Onkyo fixes this problem with a firmware update soon, but i doubt it.

Have you tried turning off the OSD?
post #332 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendustweb View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how to explain this, but I will try my best. I know this thread deals with EDID Override so you can have sound via HDMI. However, I haven't even made it past my video settings.

I just got the Onkyo TX-SR806 today. In preparation for this, I created a .inf file based on the instructions in this thread. As far as I can tell, the driver worked and the monitor was recognized as EDID Override. However, this was when I plugged my HDMI cord directly into my TV. When plugged directly into the TV, ATI CCC recognizes the monitor by its model number. My TV (Maxent MX-58HPT51) has a native resolution of 1360 x 768 and will go up to 1080i. On my HTPC, while viewing Vista's desktop, the only way to see anything is to set the resolution at 1360 x 768. When I run VMC, it is set to run at 1080i which looks fine.

Fast forward to today. I plugged everything into the TX-SR806. When I started the receiver, my monitor looked like crap. I have the receiver set to "Through," but it keeps trying to force 1080i on Vista's desktop which is causing me all sorts of problems.

I also noticed that when the HTPC is plugged directly into the TX-SR806, the monitor driver changes to "Generic Plug and Play Monitor" (not EDID Override) and ATI CCC recognizes the monitor as TX-SR806.

I realize that 1360 x 768 is not necessarily a supported resolution with this receiver. However, for my use, I don't need upscaling or any of that fancy video crap. I simply want my 1360 x 768 resolution to pass through the receiver with audio.
Am I correct that once I have the TX-SR806 plugged in, I need to update the monitor driver to EDID Override? Also, if I am able to update the driver (which contains the EDID settings for my TV), will I be able to run 1360 x 768 through this receiver?

Please tell me I am not SOL. Even though this receiver adheres to standard NTSC TV resolutions only, surely there is a way to override this.

Please help. I have 30 days to figure this out before I decide whether to send it back.

You can try turning off the OSD Immediate Display. (pg 92 of the manual)

That feature REQUIRES the receiver to use a format that is standardized. "Pass Through" just means it will output the same standardized resolution it receives.

People don't understand that for the receiver to have that fancy volume indicator it MUST run the signal through its chips to overlay it.

My feeling is though that this won't work, you will need to set your video card to output a standardized resolution. Have you tested that? I bet you would not be able to see a difference...
post #333 of 1830
I will try setting the video card to normalized settings tonight. I tried it previously and every time I did, the Onkyo "locked up" my TV for 15 seconds and then reverted back to the resolution it had originally selected.
post #334 of 1830
I ordered my SR-806 a few days ago and it's arriving tomorrow. I'm praying that setting the receiver to "passthrough" and turning off the OSD avoids the blue dots issue, but I'll post if it doesn't. I want my projector to handle the scaling and the receiver to handle the audio.

I bought the 806 as an upgrade to an older (pre-HDMI) Onkyo SR-800 and I'm really looking forward to hearing the full potential of Blu-ray with the new HD audio codecs (DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD). However, if I can't avoid the blue dots issue with this receiver, I'm going to have to bypass it and connect the HDMI cables directly to the projector while using optical/coaxial audio into the receiver.

My question is this... Is there any other way to get the HD audio to work without using HDMI cables?

I've read that it can also be achieved by connecting to your receiver via an S/PDIF? Is that correct? Here is the link for reference: http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/DTS-HD.html
post #335 of 1830
I was just yesterday trying set-up the passthrough on my new 806 as well. After a couple of setting changes I got it to work. It did not mess anything up. Check out pg. 94 of the manual for help on setting the pass through.
post #336 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgrad98 View Post

My question is this... Is there any other way to get the HD audio to work without using HDMI cables?

I've read that it can also be achieved by connecting to your receiver via an S/PDIF? Is that correct? Here is the link for reference: http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/DTS-HD.html

The 806 does not have 7.1 RCA inputs, so you will need HDMI to get HD audio formats.

S/PDIF is only good for DTS "Encore" or regular old DTS. The article is correct, and states that for DTS HD and MA you need HDMI.
post #337 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by trabbic View Post

The 806 does not have 7.1 RCA inputs, so you will need HDMI to get HD audio formats.

S/PDIF is only good for DTS "Encore" or regular old DTS. The article is correct, and states that for DTS HD and MA you need HDMI.

Yes it does have 7.1 channel analog input. However, You need a blu ray player with analog output.
post #338 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

Yes it does have 7.1 channel analog input. However, You need a blu ray player with analog output.

So if I'm understanding correctly, if I own the Panny BD55 Blu-ray player, which has analog outputs, and the SR-806, which has the 7.1 channel analog inputs, I should be able to hear the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD correctly? Is there a difference in sound quality between using the analog inputs and HDMI, or is it identical (but using different connections)?

I'll probably try it both ways, but man what a jungle of wires I'm going to have behind the SR-806 if I use the analog inputs!!!

Thanks for all the replies.
post #339 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgrad98 View Post

So if I'm understanding correctly, if I own the Panny BD55 Blu-ray player, which has analog outputs, and the SR-806, which has the 7.1 channel analog inputs, I should be able to hear the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD correctly? Is there a difference in sound quality between using the analog inputs and HDMI, or is it identical (but using different connections)?

I'll probably try it both ways, but man what a jungle of wires I'm going to have behind the SR-806 if I use the analog inputs!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Technically there is no difference. The benefit is with HDMI there is one cable, with analog audio from your BD55 there is 9 including the one for video. Either way will give you that Hi-def audio.
post #340 of 1830
you can hqve anywhere up to 10 connections via analog pending on which connection you use for video
post #341 of 1830
What effects does setting the THX Subwoofer and Boundary Gain Control (BGC) settings to ON have? Does AVR have to be on one of theTHX settings for this to apply? When I set these options to ON, I don't hear any differences in the sound. My sub is an Epik Knight and is effective to below 15 hz.
post #342 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by math wizard View Post

What effects does setting the THX Subwoofer and Boundary Gain Control (BGC) settings to ON have? Does AVR have to be on one of theTHX settings for this to apply? When I set these options to ON, I don't hear any differences in the sound. My sub is an Epik Knight and is effective to below 15 hz.

http://www.thx.com/technologies/bgc.html


I think it works in all modes that use the subwoofer.
post #343 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

Yes it does have 7.1 channel analog input. However, You need a blu ray player with analog output.

You are of course correct, I own this reciever and can't believe I made that mistake
post #344 of 1830
Hope this is not an old subject but I couldn't look through all those pages...

I have a 5.1 setup and also have two speakers in different rooms hooked up to Zone 2 on the receiver. I can get musice from the Tuner to play through all 7 speakers but when I choose a different source for zone 2 or try to play sound through all 7 speakers from DVD, CBL/SAT, etc I can't get sound in the zone 2 speakers. I've tried with all modes and the manual says you should go with ALL Channel Stereo. Isn't working. Please help if you can.
post #345 of 1830
Tyler50, The manual also says the souce for zone 2 must be analog, if your trying to play a digital source it will not work.
post #346 of 1830
Is there a way to run another cable directly from the cable box to the receiver to get around this? I tried running a coax from the DTV box to the receiver but get nothing. I'm not certain how I would select the input either.
post #347 of 1830
Coax for audio is digital, you need to use the red and white RCA (analog) connections for zone 2.
post #348 of 1830
Sounds good. I will try that thanks.
post #349 of 1830
OK, so I just purchased an 806. Hooked everything up, setup 1080P output on HDMI, OSD on. Loaded up the PS3, and went to the dashboard, no blue dots, even after the reciever got hot, nothing.

While in there, I noticed however that it doesn't display the OSD while in the dashboard or a game. OSD comes back on movies, and works fine.

Is this the same behavior that others get, or is this a new "fix" for the blue dots?
post #350 of 1830
the dot scene issue sounds weakened signal issue whilst the amp is in boot up once it has ran for a bit the fault then removes itself off screen. i'm doubting this issue can be fixed with a firmware update as it relates to amp power up process...



if you want to give the contacts a bit of compressed air just in case it's a dirty connection somewhere... if this fails to cure the issue then the cableis at fault somewhere...
post #351 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

the dot scene issue sounds weakened signal issue whilst the amp is in boot up once it has ran for a bit the fault then removes itself off screen. i'm doubting this issue can be fixed with a firmware update as it relates to amp power up process...



if you want to give the contacts a bit of compressed air just in case it's a dirty connection somewhere... if this fails to cure the issue then the cableis at fault somewhere...

I think we are talking about different things. Here is a topic discussing the blue dot issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095817
post #352 of 1830
is the 806 worth the extra 75 bucks over the 706? And i read a post were it said that this receiver isnt good for a small room! is that correct?
post #353 of 1830
Thread Starter 
Actually, I think this is really good small room receiver. I could see some poeple saying this reciever isnt good for small rooms because you dont really need 130w/channel so you would kind of be wasting money. I think that makes it a better reciever to buy really. It will give you some "future proofing" if you decide to dedicate a room for a home theather, movie, etc..you will have the extra power needed for a larger sized room.
post #354 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang View Post

is the 806 worth the extra 75 bucks over the 706? And i read a post were it said that this receiver isnt good for a small room! is that correct?

I am with you here... I just purchased the 706 yesterday and it is due to arrive today. Now I see the 806 on sale for close to the same $.

However, the only real differences I see are:
  • 130w v. 100w
  • thx ultra2 v. thx select2
  • thx processing (on 806)
  • 5 v. 4 HDMI inputs
  • detachable AC cord

My room is 13Lx16W and is partially open to the rear (dinette & kitcehen). I am going to be running 5.1 Definitive Mythos Gem XL w/Mythos 3 Centre. It is the family room and only HT room for now, but the future will see a dedicated HT in the basement when we finish it.

Is it really worth the hassle to try and return the 706 and order the 806 from somewhere else? Logistically, it would be a pain in the butt!
post #355 of 1830
I wanted the extra headroom of the 806. In theory, a receiver with a higher power threshold should produce cleaner power at reasonable volumes since the amps aren't working as hard.
post #356 of 1830
I got the 806 the other day and for some reason im not sure if its my imagination or not the picture doesnt look as crisp and defined as it did when i had it connected directly to the TV. I have a HD scientific atlanta box using HDMI. Also a PS3 with HDMI. Ever since ive run it through this reciever the picture quality seems to have gone down some. Also my subwoofer seems to be less powerful as well. A little confused to say the least.
post #357 of 1830
Is there a fix for the blacker than black problem? I did a search but couldnt find anything.
post #358 of 1830
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfernan88 View Post

I got the 806 the other day and for some reason im not sure if its my imagination or not the picture doesnt look as crisp and defined as it did when i had it connected directly to the TV. I have a HD scientific atlanta box using HDMI. Also a PS3 with HDMI. Ever since ive run it through this reciever the picture quality seems to have gone down some. Also my subwoofer seems to be less powerful as well. A little confused to say the least.

The 806's video processing is known to be less then stellar...you could always run HDMI to the tv then optical to the reciever for the audio.



To OnMedic: I didnt mention the THX listening modes but I really like the THX mode for anything that isnt encoded for surround sound or really ****** DD encoded movies. It does a great job of redirecting the dialogue from the left and right into the center and making a decent synthetic surround field.
post #359 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfernan88 View Post

I got the 806 the other day and for some reason im not sure if its my imagination or not the picture doesnt look as crisp and defined as it did when i had it connected directly to the TV. I

Try running it in pass through with the OSD turned off. You won't be able to see the volume control setting on your TV but some say this setting improves the PQ.

Discussions on how to do that are a few posts up.
post #360 of 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGrunt0307 View Post

The 806's video processing is known to be less then stellar...you could always run HDMI to the tv then optical to the reciever for the audio.



To OnMedic: I didnt mention the THX listening modes but I really like the THX mode for anything that isnt encoded for surround sound or really ****** DD encoded movies. It does a great job of redirecting the dialogue from the left and right into the center and making a decent synthetic surround field.

I'd be interested to know who runs straight to the TV via HDMI from their cable/sat box, then uses optical out to the 806, versus cable/sat to 806 via hdmi and then 806 to tv via hdmi.

I use the latter setup and seems like my picture quality is just fine, but maybe I'm missing out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Onkyo TX-SR806 Reciever thread