or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Shoppingdeals screens on E-Bay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoppingdeals screens on E-Bay

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
So how many of you have actually bought from shoppingdeals on E-bay? Result?

He sells the screen in the following link in many sizes and what feedback I have seen has been good.

(whoops, can't post URLs yet...search by seller "shoppingdeals")

I'm thinking of pairing this screen with an Optoma HD65; anybody out there have this setup and care to comment?
post #2 of 107
Someone over in the <$3K forums got one, showed some shots/thoughts on it in one of the HC1500 threads. Given the low cost and my less than discriminating tastes, I took the plunge and bought one. Should be shipping any day now.
post #3 of 107
Thread Starter 
Oh sweet! What size and aspect ratio did you go with? I'm still behind (waiting on some GCs to show up in the mail so I can order my projector).

What projector will you be using with it?

Thanks,
Josh
post #4 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by varghesejm View Post

Oh sweet! What size and aspect ratio did you go with? I'm still behind (waiting on some GCs to show up in the mail so I can order my projector).

What projector will you be using with it?

Thanks,
Josh

I went with the 110" 16:9, paired with my HC1500.

Coincidentally, just got my UPS shipping confirmation a couple hours ago, screen should be here Friday.
post #5 of 107
Thread Starter 
Man those are the same specs I am leaning towards. Gonna have to wait to shoot the projector on a white wall for a few days to be sure I like the size at our viewing distance ~12 ft..

What is your viewing distance?
post #6 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by varghesejm View Post

Man those are the same specs I am leaning towards. Gonna have to wait to shoot the projector on a white wall for a few days to be sure I like the size at our viewing distance ~12 ft..

What is your viewing distance?

right at around 12'. 110" is perfect for me, hope I don't want to go any bigger in the future, it's a stretch at 110 in my room (11'5" wall).

We've been watching at that size projected on a tan wall for right at around a month and love it. One thing to keep in mind, as I've been reading around on here I constantly hear people wish they'd gone bigger, VERY hard to find anyone that wishes they'd gone smaller.
post #7 of 107
Thread Starter 
Good to hear. Hope everything is to your liking. Hope you can post some pics or e-mail me some when its all setup.

I just ordered the HD65 - should be here Wednesday and I have an order to shopping deals in. I told him to hold off on building it til I get a change to throw up the size on the wall to be totally SURE.

Ya...I'm being ridiculously cautious for some reason, but I do agree that I have rarely if even seen anyone say on these forums that they wish they've gone smaller.
post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post

Someone over in the <$3K forums got one, showed some shots/thoughts on it in one of the HC1500 threads. Given the low cost and my less than discriminating tastes, I took the plunge and bought one. Should be shipping any day now.

That was me. The picture thread can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=pics+hc1500
post #9 of 107
terminatorbob,

A couple of questions..

I believe the frame with the black border is two pieces on the horizontal..is that right? Do you have any sag because of it?

How's the quality of the cloth of the black border? Is it black velvet or something else?
post #10 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

terminatorbob,

A couple of questions..

I believe the frame with the black border is two pieces on the horizontal..is that right? Do you have any sag because of it?

How's the quality of the cloth of the black border? Is it black velvet or something else?

I actually have the screen down right now while im painting the room. I will take some up close shots of the front and rear tonight. Im at work right now. I'll get back to you soon with some answers.
post #11 of 107
Here are the pics I promised











post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

terminatorbob,

A couple of questions..

I believe the frame with the black border is two pieces on the horizontal..is that right? Do you have any sag because of it?

How's the quality of the cloth of the black border? Is it black velvet or something else?


Oh and to answer your questions.

No I don't have any sag. after a few months of use the screen is still tight as a drum. It even sounds like one if you tap on it.

The quality of the cloth is ok. Its nothing fancy. Yes I believe it is velvet.
post #13 of 107
Thanks for posting the pictures.
post #14 of 107
terminatorbob, do you have a pic of the rear corner peice ?
He mentions something about interlocking peices and I'm curious if the corners are some how locked or are they held/secured together with the metal brackets.
post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

terminatorbob, do you have a pic of the rear corner peice ?
He mentions something about interlocking peices and I'm curious if the corners are some how locked or are they held/secured together with the metal brackets.

Its metal brackets. You can see them in the picture above of the backside.
post #16 of 107
I recently purchased a "shoppingdeals" screen on Ebay, too, so I thought I'd chime in. I went with the 110" and I'm shooting it with a HC1500.

I was mainly going for the budget build, so that is why it interested me. I'm not hugely talented in woodworking, just having moved from a condo to a house I don't really have a bunch of tools laying around either. That's why I decided against building my own. I also wasn't about to pay 1k for a pre-made screen, since my projector only cost $540 at Best Buy on clearance.

It will take you about an hour to get the screen basically setup. After that, it's going to take a good while to get the fabric pulled and stretched just right so there are no warps or ripples close the edges. It's a frustrating process, and it's best to be approached with a partner. My screen ended up being just slightly 'tweaked' or warped as the bottom left corner hangs off the wall just a few inches. I think it's my fault, and I probably need to pull the screen off the wall and re-adjust the fabric.

From the time I ordered to the time it was delivered by UPS was a little over three weeks, and this is clearly stated in his ad on Ebay.

Overall, I'd recommend this screen. Just be sure you have some time to get it all going and you'll be happy with it. I'm the kind of guy who likes to talk about how *little* I spent on my HT, and this is a nice component of that.
post #17 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by acc97a View Post

It will take you about an hour to get the screen basically setup. After that, it's going to take a good while to get the fabric pulled and stretched just right so there are no warps or ripples close the edges. It's a frustrating process, and it's best to be approached with a partner.

That's about how long it took me as well. Building the frame is the easy part.
Taking the time to patiently stretch the screen takes a while.
And yes, having an extra pair of hands to help stretch the screen helps alot lot so you aren't going back & forth between the front and rear to check for wrinkles before securing the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc97a View Post

From the time I ordered to the time it was delivered by UPS was a little over three weeks, and this is clearly stated in his ad on Ebay.

Same here. Took about 10 working days(M-F) to complete and 5 days to receive after shipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc97a View Post

Overall, I'd recommend this screen.

I'm also very satisfied with the screen & it's PQ.
I had an Elite M100UWH manual pull down screen and the small waves(very noticable in bright scenes and when images were panning left/right or right/left), small amounts of sparkling and seeing the screen texture on bright scenes was starting to bother me.

The screen material of the shoppingdeals screen has no screen texture, nice gain(about ~1.2), no sparkling and best of all, NO WAVES !

fyi-
My projector is a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 @ ~ 12 ft from the screen projecting "100".
post #18 of 107
Does anyone else have any input on this screen? Especially how hard it is to get the material wrinkle free and if the material is prone to hotspots?
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

Does anyone else have any input on this screen? Especially how hard it is to get the material wrinkle free and if the material is prone to hotspots?

I have no hot spots with my screen/projector setup.

It took me about 60-90 minutes to get the screen totally wrinkle free.
Getting the screen 95% wrinkle free is easy. It's the last 5% near the edges that takes some tweaking.
The last few wrinkles on the edges required me to get a second hand to help to pull while I tightened the screen/screw.
post #20 of 107
Thanks Plasmaman. What size did you get? I'm thinking about going up to a 120".
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75 View Post

Thanks Plasmaman. What size did you get? I'm thinking about going up to a 120".

100" @ 16:9/widescreen
post #22 of 107
I ordered a 16:9 110" version on Jan 12. I'll be replacing a 16:9 Dazian AT screen that I built in 2004. I'll be using a BenQ PE7800 until around March when I'll replace it with a BenQ W5000.
post #23 of 107
I also bought from this seller. I purchased a 120" screen and agree with all the comments that others have made regarding quality and assembly. My initial thoughts were that I was going to buy a Stewart StudioTek ( I think that's the model with about a 1.2 gain) but got worried that I might not be happy with a low/no gain screen and would be stuck with it because I spent several thousand dollars. I thought why not try this out and see if the gain works. If so, I can keep it having saved several thousand $, upgrade to a StudioTek if I thought the gains would be significant or ditch it and go with a high gain. At this point, I am likely sticking with the eBay screen.
post #24 of 107
I know a lot of people who have
post #25 of 107
I'm still waiting for mine, but hope to see it soon.
post #26 of 107
How heavy is this screen? And could it ever be disassembled if necessary?
post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck View Post

How heavy is this screen? And could it ever be disassembled if necessary?

I believe about 20lbs.
And it can be disassembled if needed. Just save the instructions.
post #28 of 107
Limulus, please post comments when you receive your screen!
post #29 of 107
Mine arrived today. I have only had time to check the contents. The frame appears to be well constructed and the velvet is also very nice. The actual frame is much wider than my current 16:9 (54x96) frame and heavier. The framing was nicely wrapped in three separate plastic packages. The corner brackets were attached to the two end pieces and those corner brackets were also wrapped to protect the other pieces. The screen material is also rolled and tightly wrapped in plastic. I have not opened it yet. The box arrived damaged, but I blame that on UPS. Fortunately, I live in Atlanta and the screen was shipped from TN. It arrived the day after it was shipped. I'll get it assembled this evening and post some additional thoughts and pictures. I would have taken pictures of the wrapped pieces but didn't think of it until too late. Take my word for it though, the individual pieces were properly wrapped and protected.

It is going to be heavier than my current Dazian AT screen and my diy frame. That screen is secured to the false screen wall with keyhole hangers that are available next to the picture hangers at Home Depot. I hope I can use the same method with this screen.
post #30 of 107
Done! My number one comment/suggestion to anyone buying this screen: Read the directions twice. Pay close attention to the part that says don't overtighten or press too hard. I've stripped the heads on a couple of screws. I used my big bad Hitachi cordless drill and probably should have used a screwdriver for the screen tension adjustment. My old Dazian At screen seems to be similar in brightness, but light can penetrate that screen and I'm pretty sure light won't penetrate this screen. I hope that brightens my DLP image. The bad thing about my Dazian screen was I couldn't use a center support brace because you could see it through the fabric!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Shoppingdeals screens on E-Bay