or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › URC MX-880 Unbelievable!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

URC MX-880 Unbelievable!!! - Page 2

post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

Seriously... lol.
A thousand words saved.
Haha.. I feel so immature.

LOL is right, I guess.

The two posts above might be representative of the maturity and professionalism of at least some of URC's "authorized" dealers.

bandphan should send that cartoon to URC, to paste on their site as a "LOL" flip to their end-users.

As I said, where URC products are concerned, Buyer Beware is the rule.
post #32 of 99
Seriously, Some feel they got shafted when URC made changes to the buisness model. As for never purchasing them, thats another issue and is basically taking money away from my family If one wants a do it your self remote, there are few to choose from. I respect the fact that persons would like to setup their own remote, but I also respect the fact that "complete control and home theater master" want to be branded in the same way as other higher end ci remotes. Most buyers that have good a relationship with a B&M store would almost always have access to the software, if needed
post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

LOL is right, I guess.

The two posts above might be representative of the maturity and professionalism of at least some of URC's "authorized" dealers.

bandphan should send that cartoon to URC, to paste on their site as a "LOL" flip to their end-users.

As I said, where URC products are concerned, Buyer Beware is the rule.

Go ahead and tell on us. I am sure your viewpoint is very impartial.
We can have your parents talk to our parents and settle this.
Maybe if someone did not make such dramatic definitive statements, they would not get offended by being mocked on public forums by sometimes knowledgeable posters and not dealers (on my part.)
post #34 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

Most buyers that have good a relationship with a B&M store would almost always have access to the software, if needed

We've copied the appropriate software onto a CD for those customers who want to save money and do it themselves - with the caveat that any help they need will be provided at an hourly rate.
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

I personally would never recommend URC, nor would I ever buy one of their products.

Neither would I

I have 3 URC remotes all purchased before their decision to pull the rug out from under us. Yes they were all bought from authorized dealers and yes i have access to the software. I hate the fact that the software no longer has a live update feature. Every time i need an update i have to go back on the site and re-download the software. That in itself is a PITA but half the time the updated software is posted a week or more later (sometimes much more than a week) than the live update version.

I just needed a new remote and opted for the harmony 1000. It has its faults and i would much prefer to be using a new URC but i refused to get handcuffed again.
post #36 of 99
You must be updating your gear every 2 days for a week delay to be a big issue. Also, in the majority of cases you can use older gear or step down gear and have the same codes. For example, use a Denon 3806 or Denon 2808 or the Denon Discrete Codeset in place of codes for the Denon 3808. Then if those 3 options are not enough, you can learn the codes manually.
Handcuffs.. indeed. I and others have brought up this point mutiple times.
You seem to be a unique anomaly of a customer. Can't get them all, but your regression to Harmony is interesting.
post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

You must be updating your gear every 2 days for a week delay to be a big issue. Also, in the majority of cases you can use older gear or step down gear and have the same codes. For example, use a Denon 3806 or Denon 2808 or the Denon Discrete Codeset in place of codes for the Denon 3808. Then if those 3 options are not enough, you can learn the codes manually.
Handcuffs.. indeed. I and others have brought up this point mutiple times.
You seem to be a unique anomaly of a customer. Can't get them all, but your regression to Harmony is interesting.


I am using an older code for my SC-05, I am using the VSX-03TX and while just about everything works, the one button that doesn't is also the most used. The volume button doesn't work, i have tried using the hex and also tried learning the button but no joy. So for the time being im using 2 remotes.
post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post

I am using an older code for my SC-05, I am using the VSX-03TX and while just about everything works, the one button that doesn't is also the most used. The volume button doesn't work, i have tried using the hex and also tried learning the button but no joy. So for the time being im using 2 remotes.

And Live Update is the problem here?? Odd logic.

That is extremely odd that the Hex did not work nor learning it as well. Pioneer is not a company known to play around with their IR signals like say B&O. Do some more research on the hex manipulation if you have time.

There are members on this board who illegally provide the URC updateable software, but that is not the problem here. I would bet it is user error AKA user denial, but only you can know for sure.
post #39 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

And Live Update is the problem here?? Odd logic.

Yes, if you dont see how live update adds to the problem then you are not understanding what im saying. This is just an isolated incident but it happens every time i buy a new component. As i sit here and wait for URC to add my equipment to their database I had to fill out their forms once a week or every two weeks while waiting. Guess what im still waiting and some of these components have been out going on 6 months. Give me a break. As for the user error? Very possible, i should clear up something however, it works except when pressing the button it goes up .5 if you hold the button it doesnt continue to go up. if i press it 10 times it goes up 5 steps.

As far as users illegally giving out the updateable software, its much appreciated. I was given the complete control suite, never even knew it existed. I appreciate it being offered by one of the members here. It wouldnt install under Vista but thats a small price to pay for having control of my remotes again.

Thanks, that kind of help is virtually non existent on remote central.
post #40 of 99
OMG. Is that really it? You just want it to repeat..

Go read some on RC. Every remote since the MX500 in my memory has an easy way to deal with this. The procedure is only slightly different for learning and PC based remotes.

Seriously, please don't complain about URC when the problem is your lack of experience with the remote and the software. You can figure this out.

There are plenty of valide reasons to complain about URC.
post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

OMG. Is that really it? You just want it to repeat..

Go read some on RC. Every remote since the MX500 in my memory has an easy way to deal with this. The procedure is only slightly different for learning and PC based remotes.

Seriously, please don't complain about URC when the problem is your lack of experience with the remote and the software. You can figure this out.

There are plenty of valide reasons to complain about URC.

No, my complaint was the lack of Live Updates, and the way the policy went into effect, thats now solved. Regardless I will never buy another URC product.

Oh and BTW I'll complain about anything I like
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post

Oh and BTW I'll complain about anything I like

I know a lot of these folks.
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

I know a lot of these folks.

Yea much like the guys who think its ok to post in a condescending tone.
post #44 of 99
This is one of the reasons why the signal to noise ratio on the HT forums has become so low. You fixed your remote yet? <--- less condensation now, lol
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

You fixed your remote yet? <--- less condensation now, lol

Not yet Tommy ive been having too much fun playing with this new "illegal" software you enlightened me to.
post #46 of 99
My local authorized dealer has the MX810 listed in the store for $399.95 (although none were on the shelf and would have to be ordered), and no less than 3 of the folks on the floor on Saturday stated that "any URC MX350 and above have to be programmed by us" and when asked about programming "that cost is $300 per unit". If you add the MRF260 to this for $149, it is an absurd cost for an RF solution, and I know they are just trying to play the "reserved for our integrated installs" strategy to sell the bigger deal. I just shook my head and walked out. I don't think they have ever sold an 810, and are only familiar with MX900 as a high end solution. It's beyond me why someone would pay over $900-1000 (add appropriate tax) for a RF solution. They seem to be stuck on the $5-15K complete install customer where "cost" isn't part of the equation like "I want the Pioneer Elite setup over there, installed, with URC solution please". I was ready to make the jump to RF for 2 systems but with this attitude, I'll just have to wait for a Harmony One RF to get a color screen w/icons and self-configuration or update capability at a realistic price point. From the posts in this thread, it sounds like the Windows software lacks capabilities that must be compensated for by the knowledge of the "authorized" dealer to make up for the sparse database or menu punchthrough. If anyone has some 'ideas' for me, fire off a PM to me. I'm also currently looking for a Denon 2808Ci and a Panny AX200 if that is any incentive
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rotorhead View Post

My local authorized dealer has the MX810 listed in the store for $399.95 (although none were on the shelf and would have to be ordered), and no less than 3 of the folks on the floor on Saturday stated that "any URC MX350 and above have to be programmed by us" and when asked about programming "that cost is $300 per unit". If you add the MRF260 to this for $149, it is an absurd cost for an RF solution, and I know they are just trying to play the "reserved for our integrated installs" strategy to sell the bigger deal. I just shook my head and walked out. I don't think they have ever sold an 810, and are only familiar with MX900 as a high end solution. It's beyond me why someone would pay over $900-1000 (add appropriate tax) for a RF solution. They seem to be stuck on the $5-15K complete install customer where "cost" isn't part of the equation like "I want the Pioneer Elite setup over there, installed, with URC solution please". I was ready to make the jump to RF for 2 systems but with this attitude, I'll just have to wait for a Harmony One RF to get a color screen w/icons and self-configuration or update capability at a realistic price point. From the posts in this thread, it sounds like the Windows software lacks capabilities that must be compensated for by the knowledge of the "authorized" dealer to make up for the sparse database or menu punchthrough. If anyone has some 'ideas' for me, fire off a PM to me. I'm also currently looking for a Denon 2808Ci and a Panny AX200 if that is any incentive

Rotorhead,

The software is not terribly difficult to use but the lack of updates is annoying from URC. The hex codes were available for my Pioneer Elite receiver 3 months ago and nearly 6 months ago for my Pioneer TV and neither is in the URC database yet. Their policy in which they release software is ridiculous as well but thats been beaten to death. URC makes great remotes but they decided to appease their installers first and the customers second. Since they decided on that policy i have decided to switch manufacturers.

Harmony isn't a bad option but make no mistake about it, you have much more control with the URC remotes and can get very detailed. If your setup isnt very involved im sure the Harmony line will do just fine. I bought the Harmony 1000 primarily because of the big icons so my mother could work the TV's when she comes over to watch the kids. Ive grown to like it alot. It does everything i need. I haven't been using it very long but the one downside I see is there is no way to enter hex codes.
post #48 of 99
Thanks for the response, and I currently have a Harmony 550 that I want to replace due to the inconsistent performance, slow response, non-tactile number buttons that make direct channel entry on a Comcast HD box a real pain in the ass when compared to the URC products on RF. And the wife just despises using it, it never works for her and she has no patience for stepping through the help menu when something doesn't come on during the activity macro. The complexity of an AV receiver is also a problem when you haven't spent the time to configure all of the possible activities it can do, like "FM Radio, XM Radio, Play a CD (using the DVD player with appropriate reciever settings)." After I got the Xbox MCE with an XIR all dialed in as an activity on the 550 I thought I was finished with activity configs. Can't believe I want to suffer through setting up all of it again
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

There are plenty of valide reasons to complain about URC.



I currently own a MX 350, MX810, MX850, KP900, and have a MX980 on order and the few complaints I have is my Vista loaded computer does NOT like to do the live updates. I finally found a program to use in place of ActiveSync so I can upload from my personal laptop instead of my work laptop. The other small complaint I have is that even with a narrowband base station I still incur a bit of interference with things. The power coming into my house enters near where my main room is. When I am close to that corner, I get very spotty response. Never the less, URC remotes are a very nice control solution. There's always better options out there, which is true in any case, but for the price and the amount of control that can be used, its a great option(even if they don't like Vista computers ).
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance47360 View Post

I currently own a MX 350, MX810, MX850, KP900, and have a MX980 on order and the few complaints I have is my Vista loaded computer does NOT like to do the live updates. I finally found a program to use in place of ActiveSync so I can upload from my personal laptop instead of my work laptop. The other small complaint I have is that even with a narrowband base station I still incur a bit of interference with things. The power coming into my house enters near where my main room is. When I am close to that corner, I get very spotty response. Never the less, URC remotes are a very nice control solution. There's always better options out there, which is true in any case, but for the price and the amount of control that can be used, its a great option(even if they don't like Vista computers ).

The Vista issues have been a recurring issue that was supposed to be squared away by now except on the MX950. Lots of installers are no longer complaining.
The MX810 I never touch. For the fractional difference in real price the MX880 every single time.
The "beta" MRF250 taught a lot of people a lot of different ways to attack RF issues. The MRF260 and 350 have been almost full-proof. Most RF emanates as a spheroid. With proper placement, you can "usually" avoid those issues.

Cross your fingers for Windows 7 issues . I will always have an older laptop with XP Pro and a serial connection just in case.
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

The Vista issues have been a recurring issue that was supposed to be squared away by now except on the MX950. Lots of installers are no longer complaining.
The MX810 I never touch. For the fractional difference in real price the MX880 every single time.
The "beta" MRF250 taught a lot of people a lot of different ways to attack RF issues. The MRF260 and 350 have been almost full-proof. Most RF emanates as a spheroid. With proper placement, you can "usually" avoid those issues.

Cross your fingers for Windows 7 issues . I will always have an older laptop with XP Pro and a serial connection just in case.




I only got the MX810 because my g/f loved the feel and look of a Harmony890 and I didn't want to incorporate one of those into my setups. I didn't pay anything for it anyways due to points for product anyways.
post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance47360 View Post

I currently own a MX 350, MX810, MX850, KP900, and have a MX980 on order and the few complaints I have is my Vista loaded computer does NOT like to do the live updates. I finally found a program to use in place of ActiveSync so I can upload from my personal laptop instead of my work laptop. The other small complaint I have is that even with a narrowband base station I still incur a bit of interference with things. The power coming into my house enters near where my main room is. When I am close to that corner, I get very spotty response. Never the less, URC remotes are a very nice control solution. There's always better options out there, which is true in any case, but for the price and the amount of control that can be used, its a great option(even if they don't like Vista computers ).

I own a MX-700 and finally after upgrading the TV and adding HDDVD and a Blu Ray player thought I would re program my remote.

Uh oh, the live update returned an error message and indicated I would have to get my dealer invloved. I researched where I bought this unit and it was through an EBAY experience - blast!

I called URC told them I have 2 of their remotes and (MX-500 too) explained my issue, discussed winning Lotto numbers and the weather. I asked for the upgraded SW with live update capability. The young lady cheerfully took my serial number of the remote and within 5 minutes I had an email with the link to the new SW.

Works like a champ!

Great service from URC.
post #53 of 99
I like URC. I like the remotes and bases. I really dislike some of their practices. They never should have sold any of there pro/CI remotes thru any retail channels. Now that they have, there is no margin left of the remote. We sell them at cost, in our systems. We do however charge a lot for the programing. I have had a customer want the purchase the remote from us and program it himself. I showed him where he could buy the remote on-line for less than I pay. We did the system, then I programed a remote for myself. In a few weeks we compared remotes, he paid me for the programing.
post #54 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

The MX810 I never touch. For the fractional difference in real price the MX880 every single time.

What is the difference between the MX810 and MX880?

They look like the same remote control.
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailn View Post

We did the system, then I programed a remote for myself. In a few weeks we compared remotes, he paid me for the programing.


Thats a really good idea, I bet people would opt for professional programming over and over if they were able to see it prior to buying it. I don't know how feasible it is for installers to do this on very complex systems but I think the idea is great.
post #56 of 99
Well the job was rather large, and I'm nuts and really do like programing the remotes. It was not your run of the mill install. BSS BLU-80 dsps, 13 crown amps, and the list goes on.

Our bus. model has changed a lot. We are really a value added company now. We are not in the selling boxes business, we are in the design/build, and programming business; infact if we never pull another wire again I would be quite happy. It is so much better to just build racks and ship them out with drawings for the installer.

We now do what we love: auralization and designing systems.
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

What is the difference between the MX810 and MX880?

They look like the same remote control.

The programing software is different and a couple of buttons. The 810 is way more hackable.
post #58 of 99
"hackable"?

I don't think I agree with that. For complex systems you have to trick-fux the 810 much more to get it to do what the 880 can do. The 810 is very simple to program IF what you are doing falls within the range of what the prowizard software is designed to do.
post #59 of 99
I mean with multiple favorites each with custom graphics for buttons instead of text. The 880 only allows 1 favorites activity. I do agree that it would be an installers nightmare but as an end user I love it.
post #60 of 99
BUMP! for assistance

A couple of serious questions if you please. Noted Price difference seems to be $50. I have never owned a URC remote before.

1. What are page jumps? (It has been noted that the 810 won't do them)

2. 880 only can do 1 page of icon favs, correct? This means only 6 icon activities, or channel fav icons in a device??? vs. unlimited on the more hackable 810, or do I not grasp the favorites correctly?

3. Both can handle T.O.A.D.s equally, right? 810 through state memory and the 880 thru variables. I have two toad devices currently (main is tv)

4. Other 810 pros or cons? I will save the $50 if the wizard is no big deal breaker after all I would have to learn to program thru the MX editor as well anyway.

Thanks for all responses!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › URC MX-880 Unbelievable!!!