or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread - Page 151

post #4501 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Thanks Raster8, howdo I check for shorts at speaker connections. Remember, I bought this used and it arrived this way so I have never had it working so I do not know if the speaker connections may have shorted out. Luckily I got my money back so I have $0 in the unit but I sure would like to get it working. Thanks for your help.

Good deal...so you have $0 in the unit

At least that helps compensate for your time...as I agree with you..its probably not worth it to send the unit out to an Onkyo repair facility

Interesting...this is the 2nd bad used Onkyo receiver you have purchased in the last few months correct?

I replied to you in the 875 forum as well about this one

As I recall you stating about 3 months ago, or so, you had purchased another that was damaged/broken

Good luck to you on getting the unit working

As for the flashing light in the rear corner of the unit...interestingly enough I am not sure I have ever noticed that in my 875
I have seen it in my PrSC885 preamp though


Warren
post #4502 of 5049
Any one need a non working 876(Black), complete with remote, power cord, manual, set up mic, am and fm antennas. Receiver and all accessories in excellent condition cosmetically, remote works perfectly. PM me with your offers if interested.
post #4503 of 5049
Did the 3008 solve all of the 876 issues? mine is starting to have some video issues and trying to justify why I would buy another onkyo. Also I've ran a fan on mine since day one and at the price these units cost that just does't seem right. Also this probably isn't the place but what are some other units in this price range I should compare to?
Thanks for any help Ryan
post #4504 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRYAN View Post

Did the 3008 solve all of the 876 issues? mine is starting to have some video issues and trying to justify why I would buy another onkyo. Also I've ran a fan on mine since day one and at the price these units cost that just does't seem right. Also this probably isn't the place but what are some other units in this price range I should compare to?
Thanks for any help Ryan


The good news is that it might have
I say that with a question mark...but I haven't seen the widespread HDMI board issues in the 3007 forum...and that unit has been out long enough to rear those issues

As for buying another Onkyo...dunno..you will have to make that choice. Nothing close to in its price range with the same features and performance. Look at the 3008 prices on Newegg on the weekends. Reliability has been somewhat sporadic, on the older units, and fixing an HDMI board with your own coin doesn't make financial sense
My thought is that these were truly products where you should purchase the extended warranty

If you buy another one..I would extend the warranty for sure


Warren
post #4505 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRYAN View Post

Did the 3008 solve all of the 876 issues? mine is starting to have some video issues and trying to justify why I would buy another onkyo. Also I've ran a fan on mine since day one and at the price these units cost that just does't seem right. Also this probably isn't the place but what are some other units in this price range I should compare to?
Thanks for any help Ryan

Denon 3311/4311. And yes the 3008/5008 have also had some sporadic problems. There's a thread here detailing those problems. I also use a 876 but it will be my last Onkyo product for a while. The build quality for an AVR of this price range is just not there IMO.
post #4506 of 5049
Thanks guys I'm really torn between the 3008 and 3311/4311. I really like the sound and video of the 876 and it sounds like the newer models are even better for both manufactures. I have three onkyo receivers already, the other two are still rockin, just feel a little gun shy droppin 1200 dollars on a unit that is worthless after two years of use.
post #4507 of 5049
If you buy another one..I would extend the warranty for sure

I was always under the impression a extended warranty was a waste of money, I lost that gamble this time HA HA!
post #4508 of 5049
Breaking news I still have a warranty on my 876! guess it's off to get repaired!!
post #4509 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Denon 3311/4311. And yes the 3008/5008 have also had some sporadic problems. There's a thread here detailing those problems. I also use a 876 but it will be my last Onkyo product for a while. The build quality for an AVR of this price range is just not there IMO.

I have not heard the 3311 or 4310...but when MHT was having their blowout sale in December I bought a 4310 with the intention of replacing my 875 with it

No way....I am not sure when Denon came up with that pricing on those units
Amp wise it was a bit step down from the 875

Feature set on it was great and it was definitely a techie piece

It sounded nice and I understand many have liked it as a preamp..however for me it lacked the muscle I needed


Warren
post #4510 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRYAN View Post

Breaking news I still have a warranty on my 876! guess it's off to get repaired!!

Good deal!!

Sounds like you will be good to go in a few weeks
And if it is the HDMI board you get one very expensive repair done for free

I just hope the replacement boards are better than the originals...I just had the repair done 6 months ago..under warranty


Warren
post #4511 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbud View Post

Thanks for the input guys. I'm either going to take it somewhere local and hope for the best, or sell it as is and replace. Been reading about the newer models - the 3008/5008 and Denon's 4311/3311's. Seems like some interesting features.

Well I took it to a local shop and surprise, surprise, they couldn't replicate the problem. They said that they called onkyo just to see what they would suspect the problem to be and were told that either the control board or dsp board would likely be the cause of the issue, but that they couldn't sell the parts to this local dealer, I'd have to send the unit to Onkyo for the repairs...

So - I brought it home, hooked it back up and sure enough, the noise is still there. I have no idea how they didn't hear it...

Here's the odd thing - I decided to do a RESET of the receiver, and the problem appeared to go away, with just the default settings. I then went in to set the speaker levels in setup, and sure enough the problem was back (but only while setting the levels.) I can literally set the front Left speaker (or any other speaker) levels up and down and the crackling can be heard from the surround right channel. I just don't understand that. The REAL CRAZY thing though is that once I got out of the levels adjustment, the problem simply is not there at all. I tried mutliple movies, cd's, tv shows and hear no issues at all. I haven't run through the Audyssey setup because I feel like the audyssey processing will cause the issue to occur with everything again. One thing I could try would be to re-run the audyssey setup, see if it occurs again, then turn off audyssey and see if it goes away. I could predict that this will happen, but I'm TOTALLY confused as to why the act of setting levels would cause the problem to show up?? I don't know enough about the inter-workings of this equipment to know if there is some relation to the dsp board, audyssey, and setting the levels. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm sorta happy as at least now the receiver is usable again, albeit I will certainly miss the audyssey room correction...
post #4512 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

Can someone verify that 3D works using this method above?

I am questioning if Oppo can be configured to output audio only from one of its twin-HDMI outputs.

I realize this is an old post, but for those looking for a fix for this issue in the future, you're over thinking the problem. There is no need to output audio only from either HDMI port.

You are going to run one hdmi cable to the 876, and one to your tv. On your tv you'll have two cables coming in, one from the 876 (say hdmi 1) and one from the Oppo (hdmi 2). When you want to watch a blu ray disc you will need to switch the input on the tv from 1 to 2. Since you'll have the internal speakers on the tv disabled, or in the alternative the volume on the tv turned to zero, you won't be getting any sound anyway from that input.
post #4513 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Thanks Warren for those words. I have been buying used audio/video equipment for 25 years and trust me, like you, I know the questions to ask and I know how to cover my A _ _. Yes I did get my money back within 24 hours via paypal from the seller. I am a very good judge of character, knock on wood, when it comes to reading people via long distance. Knock on wood, I have yet to ever get stung. Thanks again for the concern and cautious advice. Don't think its worth sending to a repair shop. I may try to see if I can find someone local to look at it though.

Just curious, if you got your money back why do you still have the unit
post #4514 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

Just curious, if you got your money back why do you still have the unit

I think he has at least 2 broken units now..if not 3

if one has been buying and selling used equipment for 25 years ..I question the situation of having so many broken units that are simply taking up space.
I agree with him its likely not worth fixing...but to me time and trouble and of course not having a a functioning unit is worth something.
As I have said before..I would have a difficult time buying one of these units from an unknown person without a warranty...and/or a very nice demo showing me the HDMI ports were all operable.
These units have way too many of those issues and I have had one replaced in my current 875...and the cost to fix, according to the shop would have been more than I paid for receiver itself..were it not for the warranty


Warren
post #4515 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

I realize this is an old post, but for those looking for a fix for this issue in the future, you're over thinking the problem. There is no need to output audio only from either HDMI port.

You are going to run one hdmi cable to the 876, and one to your tv. On your tv you'll have two cables coming in, one from the 876 (say hdmi 1) and one from the Oppo (hdmi 2). When you want to watch a blu ray disc you will need to switch the input on the tv from 1 to 2. Since you'll have the internal speakers on the tv disabled, or in the alternative the volume on the tv turned to zero, you won't be getting any sound anyway from that input.

I am not sure how the Oppo 3D player works with its 2 HDMI outputs

But..I have both the Samsung 7900 and Panasonic 300 3D capable units with 2 HDMI outputs

Both players have settings in the set up menu that send video only and audio only to a specific HDMI output based on the setting you make

Works well..set it one time and you are done


Warren
post #4516 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I think he has at least 2 broken units now..if not 3

if one has been buying and selling used equipment for 25 years ..I question the situation of having so many broken units that are simply taking up space


Warren

Hey guys what does it matter to you how many broken units I have, what I buy and what I own, and what I sell is my own business. You guys sound like 2 old ladies with nothing better to do than talk about what someone else has that has nothing to do with nothing you are doing.

For your info, I have 2 broken units, 1 805 which needed a new HDMI card which I received and installed today off Ebay and which I am going to list on Ebay tomorrow, and second, I have a broken 876 which I took to a local shop last week and they are going to see if it is repairable, if so I will keep it, if not I will sell as is for parts. I am currently running an 805 in my personal ht so that would be a third unit that I own. I HOPE THIS CLARIFIES MY BUSINESS FOR YOU LITTLE LADIES, DON'T LET YOUR TEA AND TEA CAKES GET COLD NOW WHILE YOU READ THIS.

PS - I still have the broken 876 because UPS did not want it back.

Golffnutt
post #4517 of 5049
Sent my reciever to colorado today we'll see what they find. Running my 807 now, man what a differance in sound and video.
post #4518 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRYAN View Post

Sent my reciever to colorado today we'll see what they find. Running my 807 now, man what a differance in sound and video.

How much of a difference are you talking about?
post #4519 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbud View Post

Well I took it to a local shop and surprise, surprise, they couldn't replicate the problem. They said that they called onkyo just to see what they would suspect the problem to be and were told that either the control board or dsp board would likely be the cause of the issue, but that they couldn't sell the parts to this local dealer, I'd have to send the unit to Onkyo for the repairs...

So - I brought it home, hooked it back up and sure enough, the noise is still there. I have no idea how they didn't hear it...

Here's the odd thing - I decided to do a RESET of the receiver, and the problem appeared to go away, with just the default settings. I then went in to set the speaker levels in setup, and sure enough the problem was back (but only while setting the levels.) I can literally set the front Left speaker (or any other speaker) levels up and down and the crackling can be heard from the surround right channel. I just don't understand that. The REAL CRAZY thing though is that once I got out of the levels adjustment, the problem simply is not there at all. I tried mutliple movies, cd's, tv shows and hear no issues at all. I haven't run through the Audyssey setup because I feel like the audyssey processing will cause the issue to occur with everything again. One thing I could try would be to re-run the audyssey setup, see if it occurs again, then turn off audyssey and see if it goes away. I could predict that this will happen, but I'm TOTALLY confused as to why the act of setting levels would cause the problem to show up?? I don't know enough about the inter-workings of this equipment to know if there is some relation to the dsp board, audyssey, and setting the levels. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm sorta happy as at least now the receiver is usable again, albeit I will certainly miss the audyssey room correction...

So... No one has any knowledge of the interworkings of this thing - that would have thoughts as to why during speaker level setup I would hear this noise but not during normal playback? I haven't had the chance to run audyssey yet, I'm kind of afraid to, as I'm not getting the issue. Anyone ever try to manually calibrate the 876 or other similar receiver using the equalizer settings or know of any good documentation/reading to help me through the process?
post #4520 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hey guys what does it matter to you how many broken units I have, what I buy and what I own, and what I sell is my own business. You guys sound like 2 old ladies with nothing better to do than talk about what someone else has that has nothing to do with nothing you are doing.

I HOPE THIS CLARIFIES MY BUSINESS FOR YOU LITTLE LADIES, DON'T LET YOUR TEA AND TEA CAKES GET COLD NOW WHILE YOU READ THIS.

PS - I still have the broken 876 because UPS did not want it back.

Golffnutt

Hey, my question was based on your post that made little sense to me. If somebody sells something to me that either doesn't work or is not as advertised, I would certainly get my money back. And I would return that persons property to them, rightfully so. Hence my question, which really didn't require a jackass response like the one you posted.

But obviously you're an internet tough guy, and you want to play. So, okay let's play:

Why someone would get their money back AND keep somebody elses property is more than just a little odd to me. Unless they are running some kind of a scam.

You follow up by saying you still have the merchandise because, to quote "UPS did not want it back."

Really? Why WOULD UPS want it back? UPS wasn't the seller were they? Was the item damaged in shipping? If so you surely would have been recompensed by UPS, not the Seller, as you originally posted, right? Unless of course you're running some kind of scam.

Given your reaction to my intially innoccuous post, your jackass attack of that post, and what I perceive to be some general shadiness, my advice to anyone I know would be to stay far far away from you.

We done playing now?
post #4521 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I am not sure how the Oppo 3D player works with its 2 HDMI outputs

But..I have both the Samsung 7900 and Panasonic 300 3D capable units with 2 HDMI outputs

Both players have settings in the set up menu that send video only and audio only to a specific HDMI output based on the setting you make

Works well..set it one time and you are done


Warren

I get what you're saying, the only point I'm trying to make is you really don't NEED to take that step. Each time you want to watch a 3d blu ray disc, you're still going to have switch the input on the tv

Just two different ways of looking at it I guess
post #4522 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

I get what you're saying, the only point I'm trying to make is you really don't NEED to take that step. Each time you want to watch a 3d blu ray disc, you're still going to have switch the input on the tv

Just two different ways of looking at it I guess

True..unless we are talking a Panasonic or Samsung blu ray and or TV combination

Either/or will turn on the TV and change the input automatically when you turn the blu ray player on

Warren
post #4523 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hey guys what does it matter to you how many broken units I have, what I buy and what I own, and what I sell is my own business. You guys sound like 2 old ladies with nothing better to do than talk about what someone else has that has nothing to do with nothing you are doing.

For your info, I have 2 broken units, 1 805 which needed a new HDMI card which I received and installed today off Ebay and which I am going to list on Ebay tomorrow, and second, I have a broken 876 which I took to a local shop last week and they are going to see if it is repairable, if so I will keep it, if not I will sell as is for parts. I am currently running an 805 in my personal ht so that would be a third unit that I own. I HOPE THIS CLARIFIES MY BUSINESS FOR YOU LITTLE LADIES, DON'T LET YOUR TEA AND TEA CAKES GET COLD NOW WHILE YOU READ THIS.

PS - I still have the broken 876 because UPS did not want it back.

Golffnutt


I don't really care how many broken units you have..honestly I was just wondering how after 25 years of skill and buying and selling used electronics how you end up with so many broken Onkyos

Add to that the fact that months ago...5 at least..you were talking about the broken 805 you had...
As I recall you bought another unit...and said that it was broken as well shortly after that time
I assumed this 876..months later was yet a third unit
As I recall from a post months ago you said you were on a limited budget..perhaps under extreme examination by the spouse

So...from the broken 805 to now has been months
Myself like you..has been buying and selling A/V for years...not 25 years like you...but perhaps 10
That being said I have yet to end up with two brick receivers and months of time without either one operable

But anyway..best of luck to you
The UPS thing doesn't make sense to me in regard to you still having possession after being refunded money...I have never seen a UPS claim work that way

but ok
good luck with the 805..certainly you understand that is a downgrade from a working 876 in every way


Warren
post #4524 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

True..unless we are talking a Panasonic or Samsung blu ray and or TV combination

Either/or will turn on the TV and change the input automatically when you turn the blu ray player on

Warren

...not if you disable HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control, aka AnyNet, VieraLink, RIHD, BraviaLink, etc.) in each device.
post #4525 of 5049
True

But I leave mine enambled as I like the convenience of the feature...and ironically it turns on a couple of my receivers as well that are Pioneer and Onkyo products

...and this of course takes the step out....as you mentioned earlier...of having to change the TV's input mode in order to watch another source


Warren
post #4526 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I don't really care how many broken units you have..honestly I was just wondering how after 25 years of skill and buying and selling used electronics how you end up with so many broken Onkyos

Add to that the fact that months ago...5 at least..you were talking about the broken 805 you had...
As I recall you bought another unit...and said that it was broken as well shortly after that time
I assumed this 876..months later was yet a third unit
As I recall from a post months ago you said you were on a limited budget..perhaps under extreme examination by the spouse

So...from the broken 805 to now has been months
Myself like you..has been buying and selling A/V for years...not 25 years like you...but perhaps 10
That being said I have yet to end up with two brick receivers and months of time without either one operable

But anyway..best of luck to you
The UPS thing doesn't make sense to me in regard to you still having possession after being refunded money...I have never seen a UPS claim work that way

but ok
good luck with the 805..certainly you understand that is a downgrade from a working 876 in every way


Warren

Let me set you straight once and for all then I don't want to discuss this matter ever again. Here's how I ended up with 2 not 3 broken units.

I owned an 805 which I bought used about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago the HDMI card went out on it like it did on thousands of 805's. I can't control poor quality control on Onkyo products and neither can the seller who sold it to me. Worked great for about 2 years.

When the 805 went bad I bought another used 805 (about 6 months ago) to replace it. I still use it today, works great.

I had a chance to buy an 876 for $450 (shipping included) so I did. Figured well this would be an upgrade to my 805 and its a good price so what the hell. This is the receiver that UPS dropped and slightly dented the back right hand corner. Unit was DOA.

When I called UPS to file a claim they asked me to send them 11 pictures, different angles, packaged, unpackaged, etc. I did that and emailed them to the address they sent me. That was about 4 months ago. Never heard back from UPS or the guy that sold me the 876 so I guess he got his money from UPS. When I received the 876 and it was DOA I immediately called the seller and told him it was DOA. Being the honest gentleman that he was he immediately sent me my $450 back via paypal. UPS has never asked me to send them the 876, as a matter of fact they told me on the phone that they probably would not want the 876 back. This is just the way UPS handles claims this day and age. If you have never heard of this like you said in your post then it is probably because you have not had a claim lately.

To your comments insinuating that I made bad buys eventhough I have been doing this for 25 years please hear this. Neither of these defective units were the seller's or my fault. The defective 805 was 100% Onkyo's fault as we all know too well the story of defective HDMI boards. The second defective unit, the 876, was a damaged unit by UPS. I hope this explains to you what has happened since you seem to want to know, for some ungodly reason, every little thing that has happened to my 2 buys over the last 4 months.
post #4527 of 5049
an interesting story to be sure...especially on the UPS claim side considering their current damage/reimbursement policies and the burden of proof that they put on the shipper...and yes I have had claims with both Fed Ex and UPS


But..ok
based on your opinion of Onkyo reliability, that you stated through your personal experiences, I find it quite surprising that you still purchase them...especially used with no warranty
IMO...an 876 that has no warranty( and unverifiable history) is no bargain for $450....even if it worked for 3 months the HDMI board could go at any time and then you have another brick
I just sold one of my 875's for that price...but it was in warranty when the guy bought it

But anyway

again...good luck to you


Warren
post #4528 of 5049
I'm hoping that you are done dissing another poster cause it's getting rather boring.
post #4529 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I'm hoping that you are done dissing another poster cause it's getting rather boring.

You don't have to read the post you know.
post #4530 of 5049
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

an interesting story to be sure...especially on the UPS claim side considering their current damage/reimbursement policies and the burden of proof that they put on the shipper...and yes I have had claims with both Fed Ex and UPS


But..ok
based on your opinion of Onkyo reliability, that you stated through your personal experiences, I find it quite surprising that you still purchase them...especially used with no warranty
IMO...an 876 that has no warranty( and unverifiable history) is no bargain for $450....even if it worked for 3 months the HDMI board could go at any time and then you have another brick
I just sold one of my 875's for that price...but it was in warranty when the guy bought it

But anyway

again...good luck to you


Warren

Continue to buy Onkyo only because it is the best bang for buck, particularly on the used market. Denon, the closest and best competitor in my eyes, is usually about 50% higher for the same spec AVR. When you are disabled and living on a fixed income every dollar counts. Thanks for the good luck, I will probably need it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR876 Owners Thread