or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › NHL '09 - Just get it. Trust me. Run. NOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NHL '09 - Just get it. Trust me. Run. NOW!

post #1 of 131
Thread Starter 
Being born and bred in the southern United States I don't really follow hockey (although I do seriously enjoy going to the games and I found the sport interesting) and so I haven't focused much on the hockey games that EA or 2K have been putting out.

But... I read some pretty enthusiastic reviews about NHL '09 so I went out yesterday and bought the game.

Wow. Guys - this game is amazing. I've obviously got some hockey strategy learning to do b/c the commentators keep bashing me for always trying to dump it in the middle and for my turnover ratio but still - this game is one of the most enjoyable sports games I've ever played. The controls are ingenuous and once you get the hang of them you are fully immersed into the action. It's honestly that fluid.

I haven't tried online play yet b/c I'm not good enough and I'd certainly annoy my teammates by not playing my position properly but I look forward to doing that once I get the hang of the game.

Anyway - just my two cents on what I feel is truly and excellent game. Run, don't walk, to your nearest game shop and buy this game.
post #2 of 131
I am a huge hockey fan already and loved last years game. This years is truly amazing, lots of fun to play the Be a Pro both online and offline. When you play online with some people who are decent and pass when they should it makes for some good hockey!

By the way, training camp starts today......GO WINGS!
post #3 of 131
Thread Starter 
The biggest issue I've been having is getting used to the shooting controls. I seem to want to use the right analog stick to shoot AND aim instead of just using it to shoot while using the left analog stick to aim. I'll get it with time though - I've only played it for a grand total of two hours so far.

Since you're a hockey fan maybe you can help me out. Is a "poke check" simply using your stick to try to knock the puck free? And when I do this do I use the right analog stick to point my stick to where I want it to go? I haven't mastered this at all yet.

One last question - if I'm on defense and I'm guarding the center I assume I can't check him while the puck is elsewhere right? I can only stand there and guard him and try to use the lift stick maneuver to annoy him right?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #4 of 131
My team could use a few more people that know hockey, at least somewhat well. We're 8-5 so far. Send me a FR and I'll send you a club invite.

One of our losses came in a shootout and it was entirely decided by AI. This is the single dumbest thing about the game. If none of the human players scores in the shootout, it does NOT cycle back around through the order of humans and it decides the winner entirely based on the AI.

Another loss came when one of our own players somehow shoved the puck through our own goaltender.
post #5 of 131
this is a must buy for me. Pay day tomorrow
post #6 of 131
If NHL 09 had controls like they had about 10 years ago, I'd want to get it. But for some reason, if you pick the non-analog controls you can't do everything, which sucks (at least it was that way in the demo). I don't really like the analog controls at all--I don't really understand why it's such a big deal, it seems gimmicky.

The other thing that bothered me about the demo is that there isn't any speed burst. I don't understand that. When playing hockey there's definitely a fast speed and a 'high gear' speed. Why did they remove that?

Taylor34

p.s. if these items are actually in the game, please let me know--I can only base this off of the demo.
post #7 of 131
online is still full of bull sh#* but not even close to last year. After getting 15 goals scored on me only to win 16-15 in ot I've quit playing and only play on full online teams, it's fun'r too.
post #8 of 131
If you've played with the analog sticks since '07 came out, you'd probably agree that they're much better than single button shooting.......much more realistic feeling.
post #9 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

online is still full of bull sh#* but not even close to last year. After getting 15 goals scored on me only to win 16-15 in ot I've quit playing and only play on full online teams, it's fun'r too.

?!?! Just about every game I've played ends 2-1 or 1-0. I play Be a Pro online. BaP is the only way to play the game now.
post #10 of 131
16 goals????? Your goalies suck. I always try to play the goalie and right now I have a 1.23 GAA with a 94% save percentage. I am working hard to get to 95%, my last 2 games I only allowed 1 goal so I figured it would help but I only saw 17 shots combined.
post #11 of 131
With the disk errors looming for this game and EA still can't fix the Tiger woods and Madden freezes, screw this game and EA!!!
post #12 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

With the disk errors looming for this game and EA still can't fix the Tiger woods and Madden freezes, screw this game and EA!!!



Disc errors? Never seen or heard of one with NHL 09. But it happens on other games of mine that are brand new. It's a 360 issue, not EA. Really, EA is not as evil as you like to tell yourself. They made the best sports game probably ever with this title and revolutionized the skateboard genre with Skate, among others.
post #13 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

The other thing that bothered me about the demo is that there isn't any speed burst. I don't understand that. When playing hockey there's definitely a fast speed and a 'high gear' speed. Why did they remove that?

Taylor34

p.s. if these items are actually in the game, please let me know--I can only base this off of the demo.

When you're carrying the puck, tap the right bumper. Your player will bump the puck out a couple feet in front of himself, and skate a little bit faster. Just like pros do when they're breaking up ice on the rush.
post #14 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy the Goalie View Post

When you're carrying the puck, tap the right bumper. Your player will bump the puck out a couple feet in front of himself, and skate a little bit faster. Just like pros do when they're breaking up ice on the rush.

which is 10,000 times more realistic than a speed burst button

I supposed there should also be a super aim button for FPS games? You know, for those times when you REALLY need that kill.
post #15 of 131
2k9's main selling feature this year? Zamboni races!
post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post



Disc errors? Never seen or heard of one with NHL 09. But it happens on other games of mine that are brand new. It's a 360 issue, not EA. Really, EA is not as evil as you like to tell yourself. They made the best sports game probably ever with this title and revolutionized the skateboard genre with Skate, among others.


Here is some info for ya Cygnus and it's not the 360. The problem is that EA can't figure how the HD cache's info correctly. All my other games work fine.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/09...che-time-bomb/
post #17 of 131
I had a disc read error on Viva Pinata last week (brand new) and Bad Company last month (also brand new). To say the 360 wouldn't suffer from a hardware issue like a disc read error at this point is downright laughable. Sure, maybe a game can be at fault, but the 360 itself is far from blame when it comes to hardware problems.

Oh well, it's your overly-predictable hate EA and ignore any good they do loss...
post #18 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

I had a disc read error on Viva Pinata last week (brand new) and Bad Company last month (also brand new). To say the 360 wouldn't suffer from a hardware issue like a disc read error at this point is downright laughable. Sure, maybe a game can be at fault, but the 360 itself is far from blame when it comes to hardware problems.

Oh well, it's your overly-predictable hate EA and ignore any good they do loss...

It's not me predicting, it's a proven fact as shown on the link. I can't even play a full game of Madden and Tiger Woods always freezes after the skill challenge screen. My Battlefield works perfectly fine from day one release. It's the EVIL EA SPORTS CREW!
post #19 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

If you've played with the analog sticks since '07 came out, you'd probably agree that they're much better than single button shooting.......much more realistic feeling.

I don't quite understand the point of the right analog for shooting. It seems a lot easier just to use a button. Why move the right analog stick back and forth when I can just hold 'x' and get the same result? Perhaps it may 'feel' more like you're shooting, but in my opinion it makes the controls clunkier.

Taylor34
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

Another loss came when one of our own players somehow shoved the puck through our own goaltender.

That happened to me too (in single player though) and the offending player then celebrated the goal with other team!
post #21 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

I don't quite understand the point of the right analog for shooting. It seems a lot easier just to use a button. Why move the right analog stick back and forth when I can just hold 'x' and get the same result? Perhaps it may 'feel' more like you're shooting, but in my opinion it makes the controls clunkier.

Taylor34

You can do a lot more with the puck with the sicks than you could with button presses.
post #22 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy the Goalie View Post

When you're carrying the puck, tap the right bumper. Your player will bump the puck out a couple feet in front of himself, and skate a little bit faster. Just like pros do when they're breaking up ice on the rush.

How do you speed up on defense then to catch the puck carrier who's tapping the right bumper? Or do you just naturally do it?

Taylor34
post #23 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

How do you speed up on defense then to catch the puck carrier who's tapping the right bumper? Or do you just naturally do it?

Taylor34

Pressing full in one direction on the left joystick makes the player skate as fast as he can. There's no way a slow defenseman should be able to catch a player like Ovechkin, etc....which is something that can happen if you have a speed burst option. If you have a slow defense pair, you have to use real life hockey tactics, like positional play instead of relying on speed burst........MUCH better in my opinion.
post #24 of 131
picked it up last night. It is an amazing game. I really feel like I accomplish something when I score. Very happy. Oh and I looked for the AVS team, there was only one player. Let's get on the ball here!
post #25 of 131
I'd be interested in joining an AVS team......left wing or defense.
post #26 of 131
I don't know of an AVS team. My team has 4 players with 2 more about to join. I tried to send SHMEGTASTIK an invite to the club last night but it said player not found. Maybe you haven't gone online yet?

maverick, what's your GT?
post #27 of 131
maverick0716
post #28 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

I don't know of an AVS team. My team has 4 players with 2 more about to join. I tried to send SHMEGTASTIK an invite to the club last night but it said player not found. Maybe you haven't gone online yet?

maverick, what's your GT?

maybe it was because I wasn't registered with EA yet. Send me another invite if you would...I'll get on the squad!
post #29 of 131
Since nobody seemed willing to take up the charge, I've created the AVS team. If you're on another club right now and want to fold it into this one, I'm happy to ship invites to whomever. I've sent invites to whiskey > work and maverick from this thread.
post #30 of 131
I am a rookie as well, but getting the hang of the game. I really enjoy the speed being much more realistic and controllable.

Any chance I could get an invite to your team as well?

Gamertag is : GeezerBoxer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › NHL '09 - Just get it. Trust me. Run. NOW!