or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 58

post #1711 of 9814
Just watched RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE.

Thousands of zombies, even child zombies, other creatures, viruses, Milla (and her breasts), action, gore, good effects, fantastic sound, this is one movie really worth watching. I thought this sequel is really better than the first movie in this series. Totally enjoyed it, highly recommend this as a watch this month. Gave it 4.25 stars out of 5.

2011 October Ratings - 5 Star Scale
01- Return of the Swamp Thing - 2.5
02- Hostel - 5
03- Event Horizon - 3.5
04- Resident Evil: Apocalypse - 4.25
post #1712 of 9814
5. Shocker (1989)- {2/5} HBO When I first saw this movie as a teen, I had to walk home from friend's house when it was done. All I remember about that experience was that I was absolutely terrified and actually ended up running most of the way. It is because of this that I wanted to give this another go 'round some 20+ years later. Well, its not surprising that it didn't hold up like I had hoped for. This is a Wes Craven effort that borrows the "dreamworld to reality" aspect of ANOES but tries to add the little twist that the killer can electrically transfer from body to body by touching them (similar to Fallen for those that have seen that movie). I won't go into the whole storyline, but a fairly strong start eventually morphs into an atrocity of a film that even had my wife taking frequent time outs from her studying to ask me why I was watching such crap. Some of the cheesiness she was referring to was actually slightly comical at times, but man, what a disappointment when it was all said and done. There are mixed reviews out there for The People Under the Stairs (another Craven effort around the same time) but that movie was significantly more enjoyable than this one. Another cool childhood horror movie memory goes down in flames.
post #1713 of 9814
My list has just about gone out the window. I keep changing it in order to view some of the movies you guys are recommending (i.e. "The Lost", "Intruder", etc).

Here are my views from yesterday:

Oct 3rd -

13. "Pieces" - "Young co-eds are being cut up by a chainsaw killer on a college campus. The killer is attempting to put together a human jigsaw puzzle made from body parts."

Dumb but funny trashy 80's 'hack 'em up'. This is one of those "it's so bad it's good" flicks.. worth a watch.

3

14. "Murder-Set-Pieces Director's Cut" - "Set against Sin City, Las Vegas, "Murder-Set-Pieces" tells the story of a fashion photographer whose vocation is murder - a voyeuristic nightmare of blood, sex and brutality."

Be sure to watch the 'Director's Cut'. The Lion's Gate Films "R" rated version of "Murder-Set-Pieces" was released on January 9th, 2007, and it is cut and edited by 23 minutes. No other film in the history of cinema has had to have that many minutes cut to avoid the "NC-17" rating.

Unlike "Pieces" campy-ness, 'Murder-Set-Pieces' is hard core blood and gore, not for everyone! Be prepared for grisly bloody violence, disturbing images, strong sexuality and nudity to name a few. Highly recommended for those that enjoy blood and gore.

3.75

15. Jack Ketchum's "The Lost" - "Hanging out at some campgrounds one nice summer day, 19-year-old Ray Pye decides to murder two young women."

A very entertaining film, Marc Senter's performance as 'Ray Pye' is outstanding. I was so impressed with Robin Sydney's (Katherine) "assets" I've added "Wicked Lake" to the films I will be viewing.

3.75

Oct 4th -

16. "Bereavement" - "The horrific account of 6 year old Martin Bristol, abducted from his backyard swing and forced to witness the brutal crimes of a deranged madman."

Unfortunately I found "Bereavement" to be boring and dull, not scary at all! There were a couple of good scene's but not enough to make up for the lack of excitement. Be sure to watch all the way through the end credits, there's a scene at the very end of the credits.

2.5
post #1714 of 9814
That's one of the fun things about doing this is making changes to our lists on the fly after reading other reviews! Airboss - Have you seen Calvarie? I thought it looked interesting so added it to my list.

My blockbuster queue messaged me with an update that Scream 4 bluray is now at home... thank you Mrs. Kenobi for stopping by on your lunch break!
post #1715 of 9814
Kenobi, we'll both be watching Scream 4 tonight! Just got back from my lunch break after using one of my Blockbuster coupons at the store. Thank God there was 1 blu-ray left on the shelf. Looking forward to it!
post #1716 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

That's one of the fun things about doing this is making changes to our lists on the fly after reading other reviews! Airboss - Have you seen Calvarie? I thought it looked interesting so added it to my list.

Yep, saw it back in 2005 but haven't watched it again since... I may add that one in also but I'm trying to watch as many as I can that I haven't seen yet.
post #1717 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Kenobi, we'll both be watching Scream 4 tonight! Just got back from my lunch break after using one of my Blockbuster coupons at the store. Thank God there was 1 blu-ray left on the shelf. Looking forward to it!

Unless you are on PST you will probably beat me to it but I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Yep, saw it back in 2005 but haven't watched it again since... I may add that one in also but I'm trying to watch as many as I can that I haven't seen yet.

Was it any good? Would you put it in the horror genre?
post #1718 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Did Trick R Treat tonight. LOVE it more the second time.

The Red Riding Hood segment is about tens times funnier the second time around.

"I got real sick the last time we had Mexican"
post #1719 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Unless you are on PST you will probably beat me to it but I'm looking forward to checking it out!


Was it any good? Would you put it in the horror genre?

IIRC it was pretty good, definitely in the Horror genre, I may just have to pull it out and watch it again. Check out some of the reviews on IMDB.

BTW, General K you should check out "Murder-Set-Pieces Director's Cut".
post #1720 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

IIRC it was pretty good, definitely in the Horror genre, I may just have to pull it out and watch it again. Check out some of the reviews on IMDB.

BTW, General K you should check out "Murder-Set-Pieces Director's Cut".

I'd love to but I couldn't find a directors cut available for rent anywhere. Vudu, Amazon VOD, NF, and blockbuster all have the theatrical cut Looks like you can buy it on their site for $20 but I honestly can't remember last time I paid that much for a DVD much less a bluray title. I watched the trailer though and def want to see it.

Do you have The Loved Ones on your list for this month?
post #1721 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'd love to but I couldn't find a directors cut available for rent anywhere. Vudu, Amazon VOD, NF, and blockbuster all have the theatrical cut Looks like you can buy it on their site for $20 but I honestly can't remember last time I paid that much for a DVD much less a bluray title. I watched the trailer though and def want to see it.

I bought a copy a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Do you have The Loved Ones on your list for this month?


I didn't but I do now.
post #1722 of 9814
The Blair Witch Project was on The Movie Channel and I decided to watch, as I haven't seen it in years. Compared to slick projects like Paranormal Activity and Apollo 18, this one seemed more raw and gritty. No, not scary, but I did like the "night sounds" more now since my audio equipment it much better than when I saw it years back. Forgot how much swearing was in this one and the free flowing snot was still BLECH!
post #1723 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Okay. I'll be the nosey d-bag to ask for a more clarification here.

Alcohol + ex-wife + destruction of property + police = restraining order. Hoping to move back home tonight.
post #1724 of 9814
Question for the experts in the movie industry. What is a good solution to re-create blood splatter pulse from an open neck vein? I'm toying with an idea for my cube decor but may can it if its not a easy design. I initially thought small fountain pump but no way to really make that intermittent pulse of pressure to make a squirt, stop, repeat rhythm.
post #1725 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Question for the experts in the movie industry. What is a good solution to re-create blood splatter pulse from an open neck vein? I'm toying with an idea for my cube decor but may can it if its not a easy design. I initially thought small fountain pump but no way to really make that intermittent pulse of pressure to make a squirt, stop, repeat rhythm.

Windex bottle? Pump with hand?
post #1726 of 9814
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNutX View Post

She'll add her comments (in purple!) when time allows. The main ratings will be my own.

This is awesome. Couldn't see the purple text on my phone and now getting a chance to read it. Keep it up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

My list has just about gone out the window. I keep changing it in order to view some of the movies you guys are recommending (i.e. "The Lost", "Intruder", etc).

Here are my views from yesterday:

Oct 3rd -

13. "Pieces" - "Young co-eds are being cut up by a chainsaw killer on a college campus. The killer is attempting to put together a human jigsaw puzzle made from body parts."

Dumb but funny trashy 80's 'hack 'em up'. This is one of those "it's so bad it's good" flicks.. worth a watch.

3

I'm digging Pieces more each time I see it. It may be the ultimate "so bad it's good movie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Scream 4 bluray is now at home... thank you Mrs. Kenobi for stopping by on your lunch break!

Can't wait for Scream 4. I'm trying to think of a solution for your pulsing blood ooze. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Alcohol + ex-wife

2 great tastes that don't go great together. Good luck smudge - hopefully it all turns out well.

Tonight was Frankenstein (70 mins) then Glee, The New Girl, Raising Hope and Tosh.0. Thankful for these shorties on the packed TV nights. Been a long time since I've seen it and nothing new to say. For some reason me and my wife thought the monster strangled the little girl but that was not the case.

Frankenstein (1931)

Men love playing God
Never have good results
Who is the monster?
post #1727 of 9814
Thread Starter 
Kind of off topic but the last few nights we've been chowing down on pop secret homestyle microwave popcorn. The stuff is freakin delicious and pretty close to the old style theater popcorn. Just he right amount of butter and salt. Check it out!
post #1728 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

then Glee, The New Girl, Raising Hope and Tosh.0.

Dude...Dude....DUDE!
post #1729 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Kind of off topic but the last few nights we've been chowing down on pop secret homestyle microwave popcorn. The stuff is freakin delicious and pretty close to the old style theater popcorn. Just he right amount of butter and salt. Check it out!

[insert Twilight Zone music/] We've had a box of that sitting in our cupboard for a couple months and Scream inspired me to crack it open and nuke a bag.. good stuff indeed!

October 4th:

Scream 4: 2 stars - Felt more like a comedy for the most part, just hard to take serious really. I enjoyed parts of it and the locale (Santa Rosa, CA) recaptured some of the original charm but otherwise it felt rather disjointed and the plot or motive was just pitiful.

The Possession of David O'Reilly: 1 star - Not much to say about this really. It tried to be a shaky cam film presented as if being filmed by one of the characters but it wasn't. The plot was predictable and it took no time to build any of the characters or premise.

All in all somewhat of a disappointing past couple of nights that I will be sure to make up for tomorrow. I will also have the weekend to myself so after I head to the range to sight in a optic I got for my AR and mess with my cube decor I will be pretty free to cram in a bit of a Airboss back to back to back fear feature
post #1730 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Kind of off topic but the last few nights we've been chowing down on pop secret homestyle microwave popcorn. The stuff is freakin delicious and pretty close to the old style theater popcorn. Just he right amount of butter and salt. Check it out!

I use the Orville Redenbacker 100-calorie packs of microwaveable kettle corn, really good, and just the right size.
post #1731 of 9814
Got Child's Play last night. House on Skull Mountain this morning.
post #1732 of 9814
What to say. It was hilariously bad movie. Some decent gore(even real autopsy) and fun claymation monsters. Quite original in some scary scenes, and there is horrible breakdance scenes that comes every fifteen minutes. But anyway fun trash horror movie that wont go enywhere from my horror dvd collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKq9q...eature=related
post #1733 of 9814
Finished yesterday off with the following:
Oct. 4th -

17. "Zombie Town (aka Night of the Creeps 2)" - "Local mechanic Jake LaFond's life is suddenly disrupted when mysterious parasites transform the law-abiding citizens of his quaint hometown into hoards of cannibalistic zombies."

Low budget zombie flick "borrowing" the 'slugs' from "Night of the Creeps" (one of my all time favorite campy horror movies) but nowhere near as good. If you really like zombies (PooperScooper) you may find this one entertaining.

2.0

18. "VLog" - "From the producers of SAW, VLOG is a groundbreaking extreme-horror film about a real-life webcam girl whose online murder is not what it seems."

This one just did not work for me, parts were interesting but not enough to sit through it ever again.

1.5

19. "The Loved Ones" - "When Brent turns down his classmate Lola's invitation to the prom, she concocts a wildly violent plan for revenge."

Fun and twisted Aussie horror film. Enjoyed this one.

3.5
post #1734 of 9814
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

What to say. It was hilariously bad movie. Some decent gore(even real autopsy) and fun claymation monsters. Quite original in some scary scenes, and there is horrible breakdance scenes that comes every fifteen minutes. But anyway fun trash horror movie that wont go enywhere from my horror dvd collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKq9q...eature=related

This sounds like a must see! Netflix has it on "save". The hunt is on to track it down.
post #1735 of 9814
4. Dead of Night (first-time viewing)
Nothing like a good old-fashioned horror anthology from the 1970's! This trio of terror isn't bad, but a low budget and a "made for TV" feel keep it from being great. Richard Matheson penned all three installments, so the stories are excellent, although some work better than others. No one is going to be scared by the nostalgia/time-travel piece starring Ed Begley Jr., or the second story involving "vampires", but they are more intended to have a Twilight Zone feel than horror. The third piece, a sort of "monkey's paw" story called "Bobby" aims for scares and mostly succeeds despite some suspect acting. Worth seeing for fans of Matheson and anthology movies.

Bob's A-Z 2011 Horror Movie Marathon
1. Antichrist
2. Burning Bright
3. The Crimson Cult
4. Dead of Night
post #1736 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I did catch John Carpenter's "The Ward." I loved it. At least 2 jumps and big cringe.

The Ward is one of Carpenter's worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

5. Shocker (1989)- {2/5} HBO When I first saw this movie as a teen, I had to walk home from friend's house when it was done. All I remember about that experience was that I was absolutely terrified and actually ended up running most of the way. It is because of this that I wanted to give this another go 'round some 20+ years later. Well, its not surprising that it didn't hold up like I had hoped for. This is a Wes Craven effort that borrows the "dreamworld to reality" aspect of ANOES but tries to add the little twist that the killer can electrically transfer from body to body by touching them (similar to Fallen for those that have seen that movie). I won't go into the whole storyline, but a fairly strong start eventually morphs into an atrocity of a film that even had my wife taking frequent time outs from her studying to ask me why I was watching such crap. Some of the cheesiness she was referring to was actually slightly comical at times, but man, what a disappointment when it was all said and done. There are mixed reviews out there for The People Under the Stairs (another Craven effort around the same time) but that movie was significantly more enjoyable than this one. Another cool childhood horror movie memory goes down in flames.

Shocker is not very good at all. I was hoping for something better. I own it, and I think it's good enough to rewatch every few years. But it's no The People Under The Stairs...

6. Near Dark. Near Dark continues to grow on me. This was my third viewing. My first viewing I had mixed reactions. This is truely a solid vampire flick that broods atmosphere, something that many movies are missing. Solid soundtrack, and solid entertainment (especially from Bill Paxton). Characters are written very good while adding an intriguing paradigm of a love interest vs becoming a killer in a new life. Some flaws to be found, but they are forgivable. Solid is, as solid gets. 7/10.
post #1737 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

6. Near Dark. Near Dark continues to grow on me. This was my third viewing. My first viewing I had mixed reactions. This is truely a solid vampire flick that broods atmosphere, something that many movies are missing. Solid soundtrack, and solid entertainment (especially from Bill Paxton). Characters are written very good while adding an intriguing paradigm of a love interest vs becoming a killer in a new life. Some flaws to be found, but they are forgivable. Solid is, as solid gets. 7/10.

Near Dark is pretty highly regarded in the vampire cinema world, so I gave it a shot during Horrorfest '09. Personally, I didn't like it. Atmosphere was good and Bill Paxton was entertaining, but there were too many faults to overcome. Most notably (going from memory), were the blood tranfusions and the poor acting by the main character.
post #1738 of 9814
The acting by Caleb (Adrian Padsar) was completely fine....are you sure you aren't thinking of anything/someone else? I can't possibly think of any scenes or events to where his acting "wasn't good."

Some people have problems with the blood transfusion, but I don't understand why. First off, it isn't a "fault," but simply a concept that you didn't like. Vampires eat blood; vampires need blood. Why not have a concept to where you can replace the blood in a vampire with normal blood, and it makes them "normal" again? It's just a simple concept that they picked up and ran with, and that hasn't been done before. It was a nice touch because during the whole movie, Mae was trying to win Caleb over with her love, while also trying to teach him the ways of a vampire. He just couldn't do the killing part, but he still loved her. It was a nice touch in the very end that she turned back, and they were able to love each other while living a "normal" life.

The only flaws of the movie is being its short length (which I actually like). It only took 5-7 minutes for them to "fall in love." Those types of things. Some basic continuity issues, as well. As far as "acting" is concerned, everything was pretty spot on.
post #1739 of 9814
6. Scream 4 (2011)- {3/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Many online opinions stated that this was as good as or even better than the first one. I would have to disagree for the most part. The beginning was cool and original, the kills were fairly entertaining and there was a ton of star power in their diverse cast. Unfortunately, this one continued to lose steam as the story progressed. I suppose one could argue that all the flaws in this movie were completely intentional as the entire premise is to illustrate and poke fun at common horror movie blunders. Even so, I was hoping for more when it was all said and done.
post #1740 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

The acting by Caleb (Adrian Padsar) was completely fine....are you sure you aren't thinking of anything/someone else? I can't possibly think of any scenes or events to where his acting "wasn't good."

Some people have problems with the blood transfusion, but I don't understand why. First off, it isn't a "fault," but simply a concept that you didn't like. Vampires eat blood; vampires need blood. Why not have a concept to where you can replace the blood in a vampire with normal blood, and it makes them "normal" again? It's just a simple concept that they picked up and ran with, and that hasn't been done before. It was a nice touch because during the whole movie, Mae was trying to win Caleb over with her love, while also trying to teach him the ways of a vampire. He just couldn't do the killing part, but he still loved her. It was a nice touch in the very end that she turned back, and they were able to love each other while living a "normal" life.

The only flaws of the movie is being its short length (which I actually like). It only took 5-7 minutes for them to "fall in love." Those types of things. Some basic continuity issues, as well. As far as "acting" is concerned, everything was pretty spot on.

Going back and looking at what I wrote when I saw it the first time, maybe it was more about the poor writing than it was the acting by the main character. Like I stated, I thought Paxton was actually quite good. The transfusions, although I don't completely remember the setup, were grossly unrealistic and silly. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it basically a makeshift chemistry experiment (complete with hoses, beakers and flasks) put together in about 5 minutes in a trailer? At least that's the way that I remember it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)