or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 127

post #3781 of 9824
I watched "The Bay" on VUDU last night. It is a biohazard/horror film done like a reality film but in this case directed by Barry Levinson. So it was a cut or two above that usual fare.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1713476/
post #3782 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched "The Bay" on VUDU last night. It is a biohazard/horror film done like a reality film but in this case directed by Barry Levinson. So it was a cut or two above that usual fare.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1713476/
Is there alot of shaky cam?

It's weird I hadn't heard of a new Levinson film....until I looked at this from IDBM:
Opening Weekend:
$19,926 (USA) (4 November 2012) (23 Screens)
Gross:
$30,474 (USA) (11 November 2012)
post #3783 of 9824
I love anything, movies, books, whatever, about viruses or biohazard type stuff, might be right up my alley. I will have to look into this.
post #3784 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I love anything, movies, books, whatever, about viruses or biohazard type stuff, might be right up my alley. I will have to look into this.
A very well done virus movie is Carriers.
post #3785 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

A very well done virus movie is Carriers.

Thanks. I looked at it on Amazon. Whats good about Amazon is that they then suggest similar movies, so now i have a bunch of this type of movies to look into.

I really love anything to do with viruses, I have read all of Robert Preston's books, they are fantastic, about Ebola and such. Some fiction, some non-fiction.
post #3786 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Thanks. I looked at it on Amazon. Whats good about Amazon is that they then suggest similar movies, so now i have a bunch of this type of movies to look into.
I really love anything to do with viruses, I have read all of Robert Preston's books, they are fantastic, about Ebola and such. Some fiction, some non-fiction.
Same here. The Stand kept me up many a night and not because it was 60,000 pages. I read a great old book once you might like regarding the aftermath of a virus. It's called Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.
post #3787 of 9824
Thanks, i will check into that Earth Abides.
post #3788 of 9824
To add to my post above, i said Robert Preston earlier, i meant Richard Preston books.
post #3789 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yep, good stuff.tongue.gif
Lemme see if I do this right......
EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS HORROR AND COMEDY MUST, MUST, MUUUUUUST CHECKOUT DEATH VALLEY.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1835129/
Hmmmm....I wonder if I was clear enough?biggrin.gif

Been waiting on Season 2 of this. Hope they have one.
post #3790 of 9824
Anyone seen Enter Nowhere? Sort of reminded me of Triangle.
post #3791 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Been waiting on Season 2 of this. Hope they have one.
I heard it was cancelled.frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Anyone seen Enter Nowhere? Sort of reminded me of Triangle.
Liked Triangle....added to queue.
post #3792 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Is there alot of shaky cam?
It's weird I hadn't heard of a new Levinson film....until I looked at this from IDBM:
Opening Weekend:
$19,926 (USA) (4 November 2012) (23 Screens)
Gross:
$30,474 (USA) (11 November 2012)

Of course there is the conceit of people shooting with their smartphones for some of the footage. Another conceit is that the story is told by a news reporter after the fact with footage they shot. And then there is some story that is shot just like any other film with no "shaky cam". However you've got a seasoned director on this one not some film school newbie and it makes a difference as far as how the story is delivered. I'd say worth a watch but people have such preconceived notions anymore about what a horror film is supposed to be it is difficult to tell anything from reviews. Also I would bet that opening weekend was one shot or so at a festival which is true for most indie films. We still have some art houses around here and I don't see little films like this booked at them.
post #3793 of 9824
tis the season


post #3794 of 9824
A tip of ol' Santa's hat in your direction, sir. Wrong for soooo many reasons. eek.gif
post #3795 of 9824
MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!!!!!!!!



post #3796 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watch "Chained" last night on DVD from Redbox. Not really a horror film but the backers and distributor wanted it positioned that way. More a horrific tale of a kid abducted by serial killed ( wonderfully played by Vincent D'Onofio). Director Jennifer Lynch hopes she gets to do a "director's cut" to show that she really had in mind. However it is still a very entertaining film and cuts above many of the recent "horror' films I've watched.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1989475/

Very solid flick. Watched it last night. Unfortunately, I dozed off a couple of times...not because it was boring, just because I had a long day. The 85% of the movie I did see was extremely well done. Highly recommended folks.
post #3797 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Very solid flick. Watched it last night. Unfortunately, I dozed off a couple of times...not because it was boring, just because I had a long day. The 85% of the movie I did see was extremely well done. Highly recommended folks.
The trailer looks good, I have a copy sitting here but opted to watch Savages instead, looking forward to it though.
post #3798 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

You guys see Rare Exports?

Checked out the bluray last night. Interesting and different movie. For a low budget, indie movie it is a visual treat. The Scandinavian vistas are truly awe inspiring and the score was very nice as well. Rated R but plays more like a pg and, tonally, reminded me of Super 8. Would have liked to see more of the "Santa" and more conflict in this but was probably budget impaired. This plays as more of a nice Christmas movie than a horror flic, but glad I watched it.
post #3799 of 9824
Attack of the 50 Foot Cheerleader though not horror is a fun watch. Roger Corman and John Landis have cameos.

I see that Redbox has a bunch more horror coming up. Slipped halloween release dates? biggrin.gif
post #3800 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Checked out the bluray last night. Interesting and different movie. For a low budget, indie movie it is a visual treat. The Scandinavian vistas are truly awe inspiring and the score was very nice as well. Rated R but plays more like a pg and, tonally, reminded me of Super 8. Would have liked to see more of the "Santa" and more conflict in this but was probably budget impaired. This plays as more of a nice Christmas movie than a horror flic, but glad I watched it.
Since we are into the seemingly neverending X-mas season, it's appropriate.
I found it fun and, like you say, different.....and imaginative too.smile.gif
post #3801 of 9824
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/bloody-disgusting-selets-retrospective/

Found this list of overlooked films, some made it onto our lists others will probably need to.
post #3802 of 9824
Lots of great fodder, that's for sure. For some reason, I'll want to see "Chop" first.
post #3803 of 9824
Livide. Very cool. Very well made. So well put together and filmed I almost didn't need the subtitles.
post #3804 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/bloody-disgusting-selets-retrospective/
Found this list of overlooked films, some made it onto our lists others will probably need to.

Thanks for posting that, i am gonnna have to look into some of those.
post #3805 of 9824
Syfy had a rare fairly good Saturday film last night. "The 12 Disasters of Christmas" which is a decent Canadian production with Ed Quinn ("Eureka"). It's a mix of Mayan prophecy with a nativity references thrown in (check out the names of the characters).
http://www.syfy.com/movies/12_disasters_of_christmas

Plays again on the 20th and 21st.
post #3806 of 9824
WOW! I wish I joined this forum a few months ago. I thought I was the only person who did this. I made my boyfriend watch 31 scary movies with me during the whole month of October. I can agree that it is definitely hard. We watched a few movies one day to catch up on days where we couldn't fit one in. This post just made my day. I love seeing other horror movie enthusiasts out there. Thanks
post #3807 of 9824
Great to have you here Katedoe. We do that every year in October, its tons of fun. Enjoy your time in this thread, you can post all year round.

Now go do something gruesome.
post #3808 of 9824
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Syfy had a rare fairly good Saturday film last night. "The 12 Disasters of Christmas" which is a decent Canadian production with Ed Quinn ("Eureka"). It's a mix of Mayan prophecy with a nativity references thrown in (check out the names of the characters).
http://www.syfy.com/movies/12_disasters_of_christmas
Plays again on the 20th and 21st.

Cool will check this out. Love the Syfy flicks & I think the last one I caught was Jersey Shore Shark Attack. eek.gif
post #3809 of 9824
I suggest we all book this for next year. How cool would THAT be? Here's the site: http://www.shipoffear.com/

post #3810 of 9824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I suggest we all book this for next year. How cool would THAT be? Here's the site: http://www.shipoffear.com/
I think I like you guys better sans bathing suits wink.gif

Actually that would be pretty kick ass! Talking the Mrs. into it.... another story tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)