or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 154

post #4591 of 9789
lol, my plane is sitting in the boneyard in Tucson AZ and is obsolete/taken over by the C17. If I haven't posted here in a month you know I have been taken out ha! A V/H/S 4 with all of our stories would be cool, hmmm we need investors and a couple of camera's and actors/actresses, then we are good to go!biggrin.gif
post #4592 of 9789
I thought the original Carrie was WAY over-rated, too much time with nothing scary going on.

As to Evil Dead, some stuff has come up, and now i wont see it until Monday. Oh well, the anticipation is great!
post #4593 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I thought the original Carrie was WAY over-rated, too much time with nothing scary going on.

As to Evil Dead, some stuff has come up, and now i wont see it until Monday. Oh well, the anticipation is great!

I will admit, 'scary' in Carrie is subjective. IMO most characters besides Carrie are 'scary' to me in a way that bullying, tormenting and turning their back on a human being that did nothing wrong (or it is acceptable by people), that is until she gets her 'revenge'.
post #4594 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I thought the original Carrie was WAY over-rated, too much time with nothing scary going on.

Me and a buddy snuck in to see this at 14 at it's original release and even then it was a little slow. Well made though. Love me some Chloe Moretz so i hope the reboot goes well for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Ok this past week I watched two decent horror movies From Dusk Till Dawn and Altered. Gore O plenty in Dusk and of course I pick my jaw off the ground every time Selma starts her dance biggrin.gif never gets old! Altered is an interesting movie a little Sci FI thrown in because of a nasty Alien, but every thing else is horror.

Dusk till dawn is a classic. Selma...smile.gif

Speaking of old movies, I had Galaxy of Terror and the new 12/12/12 show up from Netflix this week. Hadn't seen either. 12/12/12 is typical DTV schlock. Galaxy is classic Roger Corman B-movie schlock, but is always funny to see recognizable faces and this movie has a ton. Sid Haig, Edward Albert, Erin Moran, Ray Walston and a few other you recognize.

VHS and Suspira on tap for this weekend.
post #4595 of 9789
Thread Starter 
GoCaboNow, not sure if I ever clicked on your link before - wow amazing looking HT you have there. That looks top notch! Nice taste in beer too. <3 Rogues offerings.
post #4596 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

GoCaboNow, not sure if I ever clicked on your link before - wow amazing looking HT you have there. That looks top notch! Nice taste in beer too. <3 Rogues offerings.

Thank you, I do take the beer seriously! tongue.gif
post #4597 of 9789
Just posted my Evil Dead review in the official thread.
post #4598 of 9789
When I saw the original Carrie in a downtown Seattle theater there was a second feature that everyone laughed at but I thought it used some interesting horror devices not commonly seen. I've never been able to find that film but sometime when I visit Seattle I might look through the newspaper microfilm archives for the ad to get the name.
post #4599 of 9789
Just saw Evil Dead and it rocked! I have my impressions posted in the Evil Dead thread. Saw the trailer for the new Carrie while there and thought it looks pretty good!
post #4600 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Dusk till dawn is a classic. Selma...smile.gif

Speaking of which, "From Dusk Til Dawn" (blu-ray) is on sale for just $5 at Target.
post #4601 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Speaking of which, "From Dusk Til Dawn" (blu-ray) is on sale for just $5 at Target.

Nice, gonna have to do a Target stop tomorrow.
post #4602 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Me and a buddy snuck in to see this at 14 at it's original release and even then it was a little slow. Well made though. Love me some Chloe Moretz so i hope the reboot goes well for her.
Dusk till dawn is a classic. Selma...smile.gif

Speaking of old movies, I had Galaxy of Terror and the new 12/12/12 show up from Netflix this week. Hadn't seen either. 12/12/12 is typical DTV schlock. Galaxy is classic Roger Corman B-movie schlock, but is always funny to see recognizable faces and this movie has a ton. Sid Haig, Edward Albert, Erin Moran, Ray Walston and a few other you recognize.

VHS and Suspira on tap for this weekend.

One movie I need on BD, when it releases! I also love the ol'Roger Corman movies.

Since nobody commented on Altered, here is a trailer for it.http://youtu.be/a-Ib1F-NT6c I think the Blair Witch guys did this movie too.
post #4603 of 9789
I forget if I told my From Dusk 'Til Dawn story here.
post #4604 of 9789
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I forget if I told my From Dusk 'Til Dawn story here.

All ears.

post #4605 of 9789

The hype surrounding Cabin In The Woods had me skeptical of Evil Dead. Though it was a thousand times better than CITW, I'm still left scratching my head about the amount of buzz surrounding this film. 

post #4606 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Nice, gonna have to do a Target stop tomorrow.
You may research on the web regarding the AV quality of the U.S. release.
IIRC, there has been some controversy....
post #4607 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Just saw Evil Dead and it rocked! I have my impressions posted in the Evil Dead thread. Saw the trailer for the new Carrie while there and thought it looks pretty good!

I am not gonna read about it until after i see it hopefully on Monday. Did you see the DIGITAL version? Is that what i can see, i have my choice here.
post #4608 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am not gonna read about it until after i see it hopefully on Monday. Did you see the DIGITAL version? Is that what i can see, i have my choice here.
You can read it if you want, it is spoiler free. Yes I saw the digital.
post #4609 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Just saw Evil Dead and it rocked! I have my impressions posted in the Evil Dead thread. Saw the trailer for the new Carrie while there and thought it looks pretty good!

Braved the local movie theater with my wife for Evil Dead last night (rarely go to movies as I prefer to wait and watch things at home in my own HT) and we really liked it. Maybe a 3.5 or 3.75 out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Chaos View Post

The hype surrounding Cabin In The Woods had me skeptical of Evil Dead. Though it was a thousand times better than CITW, I'm still left scratching my head about the amount of buzz surrounding this film. 

Not sure it deserved the buzz either, but it does have some unique qualities about it that will likely reserve it a spot in my library once it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

One movie I need on BD, when it releases! I also love the ol'Roger Corman movies.

Since nobody commented on Altered, here is a trailer for it.http://youtu.be/a-Ib1F-NT6c I think the Blair Witch guys did this movie too.

Wait, I guess I must have watched the wrong trailer. There's an Altered that comes out this year that looks to be a completely different film.
post #4610 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

One movie I need on BD, when it releases!

I believe you are referring to Suspira here, and you sir must have a much better appreciation for certain elements in a movie than I do. smile.gif


I kept seeing Suspira be highly rated in its position in horror history. Was never able to get it at Blockbuster but was immediately available when I switched to Netflix. It just didn't float my boat. I did enjoy the creepy sound effects and music that seems to be constantly playing, and the head instructor was awesome in a over the top, Nurse Cratchett kind of way. But the rest was so slow. I wanted to fast forward 5 minutes into the movie but my remote was not put on the cradle properly and the battery was low so I had to sit there and watch it at normal speed while the paint dried and the grass grew:p.

Still, I do enjoy seeing the classics and how horror has evolved through the years. It was a dvd copy and the pq stretched out to 133" was insanely bad. Easily, the worst transfer I have seen on DVD. Hopefully, the BD has better pq and the audio could be amazing in lossles.
post #4611 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I believe you are referring to Suspira here, and you sir must have a much better appreciation for certain elements in a movie than I do. smile.gif


I kept seeing Suspira be highly rated in its position in horror history. Was never able to get it at Blockbuster but was immediately available when I switched to Netflix. It just didn't float my boat. I did enjoy the creepy sound effects and music that seems to be constantly playing, and the head instructor was awesome in a over the top, Nurse Cratchett kind of way. But the rest was so slow. I wanted to fast forward 5 minutes into the movie but my remote was not put on the cradle properly and the battery was low so I had to sit there and watch it at normal speed while the paint dried and the grass grew:p.

Still, I do enjoy seeing the classics and how horror has evolved through the years. It was a dvd copy and the pq stretched out to 133" was insanely bad. Easily, the worst transfer I have seen on DVD. Hopefully, the BD has better pq and the audio could be amazing in lossles.
I have Suspiria on blu (B locked) and while the color timing is a mess the A/V improvement over the DVD is still very worth while and the AQ is fantastic! I love Suspria. The acting is poor at best but the set designs, music, and overal atmosphere is is just dripping with awesome.
post #4612 of 9789
I will admit Dario Argento films are a different animal all together. I mainly like the colors of the film and the visceral effects/shots. Films like this aren't made like that anymore.

Apollo, yeah Altered is a nice gem from 2006. I watched this just on a whim and had no big expectations and I did like this film. It does have a mean Alien in it, but what it does to people is along the lines of a horror movie. Well a mash up of horror/Sci.
post #4613 of 9789
Argento knows how to use wide-screen AR like few others.
I admire that, but not much else about his stuff.
post #4614 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post


Braved the local movie theater with my wife for Evil Dead last night (rarely go to movies as I prefer to wait and watch things at home in my own HT) and we really liked it. Maybe a 3.5 or 3.75 out of 5.
 

 

Glad you had a great date night! We enjoyed the movie as well. I'm just constantly searching for a new film that truly scares me. It would serve me well to just enjoy the movie I'm watching for what it is instead of pitting every single one against the GOAT.

post #4615 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I thought the original Carrie was WAY over-rated, too much time with nothing scary going on.

 

 

I think this movie resonated much more with the female lovers of horror. Because we all, at one time or another in high school, wanted to blow the *BEEP BEEP* up.....

post #4616 of 9789
Slightly off topic but not really. Snagged a 60 inch Samsung plasma yesterday. Holy hell what an upgrade. My old set was failing but delivered a nice picture still, until this thing. The PQ improvement alone trumps all the bells and whistles it came with.
post #4617 of 9789
Congrats Darth!
post #4618 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Slightly off topic but not really. Snagged a 60 inch Samsung plasma yesterday. Holy hell what an upgrade. My old set was failing but delivered a nice picture still, until this thing. The PQ improvement alone trumps all the bells and whistles it came with.

Got a Samsung as well albeit an LED. Curious as to what the model is. I have a friend in Detroit who picked one up and he raves about his, too.
post #4619 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Slightly off topic but not really. Snagged a 60 inch Samsung plasma yesterday. Holy hell what an upgrade. My old set was failing but delivered a nice picture still, until this thing. The PQ improvement alone trumps all the bells and whistles it came with.

Nice, I think plasma does the best with dark movies.

I watched flash gordon a few weeks ago for the first time in forever. Is that Ming from Flash on your avatar?
post #4620 of 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Is that Ming from Flash on your avatar?
Ming over Stilgar?
Oh man, that sucks.....tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)