or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 207

post #6181 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Probably Poltergeist. Why, because I have lived in neighborhoods exactly like that as a child and now that I have 2 kids, the fear of losing them to some entity (or anything or person) is just unthinkable.
PLUS you know city councils and the like will totally move headstones but not bodies. They put a bypass around my little town and publicly acknowledged they unearthed Native American burial sites in that process. They had some guys from the college come out and photograph then paved right over.
Edited by darthrsg - 9/10/13 at 11:02am
post #6182 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

THAT is a very good question.
My all time freak-out would be Cameron's Aliens.
It just feels too real....

BTW, my copy of Frankie's Army arrives Thurs.

Good movie,you should enjoy it.:-)
post #6183 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I think The Exorcist still bothers me when I watch it. "Scare" is probably not the right word but it is disturbing when you contemplate the subject matter. Effects aside, I think the film does a great job of building the dread and hopelessness of the situation which is superbly acted by all involved. I have yet to find another movie involving possesion or exorcism that conveys the same mood and atmosphere the way it was here.
Likewise,this movie just freaked me out when I first saw it.There are a few scenes in the extended version that scared the crap out of me.Couldn't watch this with lights off until only recently.
post #6184 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

that cover art really calls me.
Yeah, me too.

Quote:
I think it was Halloween, and MM gets on the floor in the back seat of a car and the driver does not see him - until too late. I still check back seats etc periodically.
The thing with the backseat only comes into play when I think too much about it.

Quote:
Even in my HT I will check a closet I have as I HATE the thought of getting into something, totally focusing on it, like driving or a good movie, and is easier for something to sneak up on you.
This is why most of my closets don't have doors.biggrin.gif
post #6185 of 9795
The Exorcist and Jaws had a profound effect on me growing up and even though I'm able to watch them much more comfortably now that I'm an adult; they've held up pretty damn well as far as horror flicks go. One that comes to mind that completely failed to hold up to my childhood memories is Shocker. I remember being absolutely terrified when I saw that movie as a kid but now...................its laughable at best.

Off subject here, but I was bored last night and decided to scour Amazon for some cheap blu-rays. For just over $40, I got The Last House on the Left, Otis, Dark Skies and Blood Simple. Has anyone seen Blood Simple? Would it fit into my October list or is it basically a thriller? Decided to buy it because I've heard that its arguably the best Coen Bros movie but honestly, I really don't know much about it besides what the official synopsis says. Considering the fact that Starship Troopers has even been mentioned in this thread gives me the impression that Blood Simple qualifies as well. wink.gif Thoughts??
Edited by ApolloCreed - 9/10/13 at 12:14pm
post #6186 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Has anyone seen Blood Simple? Would it fit into my October list or is it basically a thirller?
A thriller, not horror.

Quote:
Deicded to buy it because I've heard that its arguably the best Coen Bros movie
It isn't, but it was a great debut for the boys.wink.gif
post #6187 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

PLUS you know city councils and the like will totally move headstones but not bodies. They put a bypass around my little town and publicly acknowledged they unearthed Native American burial sites in that process. They had some guys from the college come out and photograph then paved right over.

Ah, the ubiquitous "guys from the college". A must in any supernatural horror movie now. Were you there? Was there "banter" between them? smile.gif
post #6188 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

THAT is a very good question.
My all time freak-out would be Cameron's Aliens.
It just feels too real....

BTW, my copy of Frankie's Army arrives Thurs.

I agree and I was just 10 when I begged my parents to take me to see it opening weekend! For two weeks I thought the aliens were going to get into my room and kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

PLUS you know city councils and the like will totally move headstones but not bodies. They put a bypass around my little town and publicly acknowledged they unearthed Native American burial sites in that process. They had some guys from the college come out and photograph then paved right over.

That is a good point!
post #6189 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Ah, the ubiquitous "guys from the college". A must in any supernatural horror movie now. Were you there? Was there "banter" between them? smile.gif
I was not there in person but the source is reliable (police chief). The university here has a decent archaeology department and the area is loaded up with Native American stuff. I would have loved to have been there to see it.

We even have a fire station that is supposedly haunted and it's just south of where the bypass bodies were found. So yeah...

AND the cemetery guy here at work has maps of the graveyards in town from the 1800's and those spots have suburbs in them now and there's no way in hell this cheap ass city paid to move anyone. A couple of streets are pretty much NEVER DIG zones and it's funny to watch joggers and such over there after seeing all the not public public history.
post #6190 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

A thriller, not horror.
It isn't, but it was a great debut for the boys.wink.gif
+1

I don't know that "scare" would really factor in for second time viewings but "discomfort" and "psychological horror" both still play a big role. I'll put in another vote for The Exorcist... as a person of faith and a parent the concept is simply terrifying and the film is just done so right. As far as psychological horror I'd have to give that award to Triangle... the concept of hell being an eternity of repetition with new hope born at the start of every cycle is just devastating. Add to that the other brilliant subtleties, references, and greek mythology and it just makes for a real mind effer although Antichrist will give it a serious run for the money! Aside from those I'd say REC has me tense and nervous each time I watch it and I still can't get through Inside without turning my head eek.gif
post #6191 of 9795
Here's a question for that list: What horror movie do you defend even though you know it sucks?
post #6192 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

OK if we're going to make our own list here...Let me throw out the first question:
1.) What horror movie have you seen that still freaks you out to this day ?
I forgot to say what mine was...Phantasm 1. I like the series but it seems the like the first one tries to throw you off track just when you settled in, it sort of throws the rule book out. That makes it good biggrin.gif and yet unnerving...eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #6193 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Here's a question for that list: What horror movie do you defend even though you know it sucks?
I dunno if I would defend a movie if I thought it sucked....confused.gif
post #6194 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

THAT is a very good question.
My all time freak-out would be Cameron's Aliens.
It just feels too real....

BTW, my copy of Frankie's Army arrives Thurs.

Nice cover !
post #6195 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I dunno if I would defend a movie if I thought it sucked....confused.gif
Avengers fans do it ALL DAY smile.gif
post #6196 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I forgot to say what mine was...Phantasm 1. I like the series but it seems the like the first one tries to throw you off track just when you settled in, it sort of throws the rule book out. That makes it good biggrin.gif and yet unnerving...eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
I really like that series.
post #6197 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Avengers fans do it ALL DAY smile.gif
Now that's just mean...tongue.gif
post #6198 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I dunno if I would defend a movie if I thought it sucked....confused.gif
You'd have to watch it all first wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Avengers fans do it ALL DAY smile.gif

Hey, I resemble that tongue.gif
post #6199 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Here's a question for that list: What horror movie do you defend even though you know it sucks?

Oh tough question, I will bite...probably DreamCatcher or The Devils Rain. On the defending part for DreamCatcher is I think it is pretty bad (in a funny way) to make a movie about aliens that come out of your butt and for The Devils Rain, Ernest Borgnine and William Shatner 'nuff said lol!
post #6200 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

You'd have to watch it all first wink.gif
True.
However, of all my foibles, masochism isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

On the defending part for DreamCatcher is I think it is pretty bad (in a funny way) to make a movie about aliens that come out of your butt
Hey, I LIKE Dreamcatcher.
From time to time, who hasn't worried about a biting thing coming up out of a toilet? eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #6201 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

True.
However, of all my foibles, masochism isn't one of them.
Hey, I LIKE Dreamcatcher.
From time to time, who hasn't worried about a biting thing coming up out of a toilet? eek.gifbiggrin.gif

I like it too because I always chuckle at Jason Lee keeping that fugging alien in the toilet by sitting on it ha ha!. I guess my take on darths question was in 'general', the movie was not received well by most. But we are horror lovers/fans here so we tend to like what others do not like.
post #6202 of 9795
Monster movies are a sub genre of horror movies, adventure movies, or an offshoot of sci-fi movies. I won't quibble over anyone's definition of what constitutes a horror movie. Ask a kid who just saw the Wizard of Oz's flying monkeys and murderous witches what kind of movie they just saw, but after the lights go out you'll get a different answer.
post #6203 of 9795
Anyway, most horror movies at their heart are mystery movies, or thrillers that just happen to be scary. Many aren't nonstop scary, but are horrific in concept or atmosphere--particularly the older ones. Nowadays most of the public thinks of horror movies as scream machines, thrill rides in a way.

I am rambling now...
post #6204 of 9795
Thank you for all the kind words about Overly Sensitive Zombie Girl! Jillian originally had the zombie planning to eat the guy's brains with a rusty spoon, but I told her to tone it down a bit!
post #6205 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Thank you for all the kind words about Overly Sensitive Zombie Girl! Jillian originally had the zombie planning to eat the guy's brains with a rusty spoon, but I told her to tone it down a bit!

Directors cut.
post #6206 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I like it too because I always chuckle at Jason Lee keeping that fugging alien in the toilet by sitting on it ha ha!. I guess my take on darths question was in 'general', the movie was not received well by most. But we are horror lovers/fans here so we tend to like what others do not like.
True...wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Monster movies are a sub genre of horror movies, adventure movies, or an offshoot of sci-fi movies. I won't quibble over anyone's definition of what constitutes a horror movie. Ask a kid who just saw the Wizard of Oz's flying monkeys and murderous witches what kind of movie they just saw, but after the lights go out you'll get a different answer.
Bob, I have to say....your insightful, analytical, and eye-opening posts are not appreciated on this thread.wink.gif
post #6207 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

True...wink.gif
Bob, I have to say....your insightful, analytical, and eye-opening posts are not appreciated on this thread.wink.gif

On the other hand, there's something to be said for the combination of "blood 'n boobs" on the big screen...
post #6208 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

On the other hand, there's something to be said for the combination of "blood 'n boobs" on the big screen...

You have to get the blood to boob ratio right though. I would err on the side of more boobs when in doubt.
post #6209 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

You have to get the blood to boob ratio right though. I would err on the side of more boobs when in doubt.

damn I read that too fast , thought it said "boob to boob" wink.giftongue.gif
post #6210 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

damn I read that too fast , thought it said "boob to boob" wink.giftongue.gif
Hostel II bloodbath?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)