or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 214

post #6391 of 9787
If you like those posters that documentary I suggested, Rewind This, has a nice segment on VHS boxart.
post #6392 of 9787
Thread Starter 
wrongsideoftheart.com is an awesome site with hi rez scans if you need them.
post #6393 of 9787
Cool idea for your phone art Kenobi! I like it because a, it is horror themed, b, bright enough that you can find the phone easily. I am tempted to buy a new phone since I currently do not own a phone, but I know I will need one soon.
post #6394 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I had this on DVD and it wasn't even in anamorphic. It's not even that old. Unacceptable!
Adding to Q. *and the sequel
Kenobi Is the Vudu version unrated? If not I wonder if it's worth heading to Redbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Did you watch the extended cut? I saw it in theaters about 2 weeks ago, liked it, and when I noticed the Blu-ray would include an unrated extended version I liked it even more. With that said, the more *cough* "intense" footage (as stated on the packaging) apparently only adds a few sequences supposedly with more violence. While it's true to a degree, I would have liked, at the very least, RED blood instead of the lame black thing that looks like anything but blood. What a joke!!! mad.gif ....However, the film was just as good as the first time smile.gif
Yes both versions were on Vudu but I watched the "unrated". It was not violent and while some over-the-top "Starship Troopers" style gore would have been nice it was able to make it on sheer brake-neck pace and tension alone so I had no complaints.
post #6395 of 9787
My review of "World War Z" the rental edition from Redbox: ho-kee, ho-kee, ho-kee. What a contrived POS. We can only hope that Hollywood goes bankrupt and real movies get made again. Minus three rakshasas, I mean "zombies".
post #6396 of 9787
I just got done watching WWZ, 2D version unrated (I bought the 3D set). I knew this wasn't going to be like the book or as good as a Zombie flick should be, rated R mad.gif! But I agree with Kenobi about this film not really being a 'horror' per se but more of an action movie. I did like how the movie was tense in the beginning, but then imho the movie just ran out of gas. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There are several scenes I like, the zombies crawling their way over walls/buildings like Army Ants, grenade scene woke up my subwoofer, and just the pure overrun of 'spilling zombies' was pretty cool.
Of course I saw some things that made me chuckle only because I served in the military and worked on aircraft. All in all, I am going to add this to the Oct list to see if this film will grow on me some more.
post #6397 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

This is starting to feel real, guys...I may have to stay working on my list. Not that I ever stick to it strictly!

As a media dinosaur, it takes alot for me to organize to have a movie, or two, available every night. My list is stricly a working list to come up with 50, or whatever, to pull from. Shooting to do a movie EVERY night. Last year that was the fun part, knowing another flic was set up for that night. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

As I get close to pulling the trigger on a new phone I'm considering doing one of those custom case mate cases with... you guessed it... some awesome vintage horror art. Gotta keep it somewhat decent due to the kids and professional environments but...


What? No PROMETHEUS? wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

BD arrives tomorrow.
Already have mine. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I just got done watching WWZ, 2D version unrated (I bought the 3D set). I knew this wasn't going to be like the book or as good as a Zombie flick should be, rated R mad.gif! But I agree with Kenobi about this film not really being a 'horror' per se but more of an action movie. I did like how the movie was tense in the beginning, but then imho the movie just ran out of gas. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There are several scenes I like, the zombies crawling their way over walls/buildings like Army Ants, grenade scene woke up my subwoofer, and just the pure overrun of 'spilling zombies' was pretty cool.
Of course I saw some things that made me chuckle only because I served in the military and worked on aircraft. All in all, I am going to add this to the Oct list to see if this film will grow on me some more.

Hmm. Not the most ringing endorsement. Oh well, I mostly bought as an ode to the book.

Anyone demo'd the bass in the airplane scene yet? Is supposed to be real, and spectacular.
post #6398 of 9787
WWZ should be in my mailbox in a day or two, will hold it for October with my other new ones. I hope i like it, and i am taking it as a horror movie since it has zombies, i guess i will find out.
post #6399 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

As a media dinosaur, it takes alot for me to organize to have a movie, or two, available every night. My list is stricly a working list to come up with 50, or whatever, to pull from. Shooting to do a movie EVERY night. Last year that was the fun part, knowing another flic was set up for that night. smile.gif
What? No PROMETHEUS? wink.gif
Already have mine. cool.gif
Hmm. Not the most ringing endorsement. Oh well, I mostly bought as an ode to the book.

Anyone demo'd the bass in the airplane scene yet? Is supposed to be real, and spectacular.

I know guys on the bass movie thread like the sweeping grenade scene, that was really the one time I noticed my room vibrating. I am tweaking my sub on a different setting to see what I like better so when I run WWZ I will see if that scene resonates my room again.

I really wanted to like WWZ after reading some of the reviews here but maybe I just cannot get over my bias toward actual Zombie movies with a bit more 'bite' (pun intended). I felt the same about The Avengers when I first watched it at home, but then after 2nd/3rd viewings I liked it much more than the first time.
post #6400 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

As a media dinosaur, it takes alot for me to organize to have a movie, or two, available every night. My list is stricly a working list to come up with 50, or whatever, to pull from. Shooting to do a movie EVERY night. Last year that was the fun part, knowing another flic was set up for that night. smile.gif
What? No PROMETHEUS? wink.gif
Already have mine. cool.gif
Hmm. Not the most ringing endorsement. Oh well, I mostly bought as an ode to the book.

Anyone demo'd the bass in the airplane scene yet? Is supposed to be real, and spectacular.
There is some very nice LFE in WWZ, the airplane and a couple of the slomo splosion scenes wink.gif
post #6401 of 9787
post #6402 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Here is a reading of WWZ that a member put up on the BASS thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/10050#post_23695220
Agree 100% with those scenes.
post #6403 of 9787
Don't make pawpaw come in here about those phones again :-)
post #6404 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

My review of "World War Z" the rental edition from Redbox: ho-kee, ho-kee, ho-kee. What a contrived POS. We can only hope that Hollywood goes bankrupt and real movies get made again. Minus three rakshasas, I mean "zombies".
Brian, can you be more detailed?
I'm asking because, although I didn't really like the soft ending, I thought it was a fairly good movie....confused.gif
post #6405 of 9787
Cold Prey 2 tonite.

Was a little surprised to find out there was a sequel and this is some kind of Norwegian franchise.
The original movie ended with irrevocable death to the Baddie....there was nothing left to base a sequel on.

As I discovered tonite, Norwegian filmmakers ALSO like $$$.
This is one of those desperate PULL SOMETHING OUT YOUR A$$ movies.
Dumped it at 30 minutes....

FWIW, I do recommend the original Cold Prey for October....wink.gif
post #6406 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Cold Prey 2 tonite.

Was a little surprised to find out there was a sequel and this is some kind of Norwegian franchise.
The original movie ended with irrevocable death to the Baddie....there was nothing left to base a sequel on.

As I discovered tonite, Norwegian filmmakers ALSO like $$$.
This is one of those desperate PULL SOMETHING OUT YOUR A$$ movies.
Dumped it at 30 minutes....

FWIW, I do recommend the original Cold Prey for October....wink.gif
Sounds like The Descent 2 which I happily went to Recall to have my mind wiped of the experience.
post #6407 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Sounds like The Descent 2 which I happily went to Recall to have my mind wiped of the experience.
LOL...you and your sense of humor.tongue.gif
post #6408 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Brian, can you be more detailed?
I'm asking because, although I didn't really like the soft ending, I thought it was a fairly good movie....confused.gif
I can probably guess what he didn't like. But I liked the film it was different than your average zombie movie, I can live with the ending.
post #6409 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

As I get close to pulling the trigger on a new phone I'm considering doing one of those custom case mate cases with... you guessed it... some awesome vintage horror art. Gotta keep it somewhat decent due to the kids and professional environments but...

I vote for White Zombie one with eyes in the second row. That would make an awesome case and fairly unique.
post #6410 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Sounds like The Descent 2 which I happily went to Recall to have my mind wiped of the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

LOL...you and your sense of humor.tongue.gif
Which Recall.? The local one or the British one. Did you get a chance to ride The Fall. biggrin.gif
post #6411 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I can probably guess what he didn't like. But I liked the film it was different than your average zombie movie, I can live with the ending.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You knew when there was 30 min left that it was not going to get tied up with a nice pretty bow... the film smells like trilogy after about 40 min IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I vote for White Zombie one with eyes in the second row. That would make an awesome case and fairly unique.
I'll use a collage but am leaning towards making my own... I'll share when it is done biggrin.gif
post #6412 of 9787
yes,I left off the list because I've seen them too recently or don't own them. thank you agkiBt
post #6413 of 9787
I have all of the Rob Zombie movies in my Netflix queue to arrive in the next few days. I think I have seen bits and pieces of a few of them but never gave any of them a full viewing. The wife will be out of town for a few days so I can turn up the volume and watch the gory stuff she isn't into.
post #6414 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Cold Prey 2 tonite.

Was a little surprised to find out there was a sequel and this is some kind of Norwegian franchise.
The original movie ended with irrevocable death to the Baddie....there was nothing left to base a sequel on.

As I discovered tonite, Norwegian filmmakers ALSO like $$$.
This is one of those desperate PULL SOMETHING OUT YOUR A$$ movies.
OINK'd it....

FWIW, I do recommend the original Cold Prey for October....wink.gif

Cold Prey? Was that the one where the kids hole up in a old abandoned, old abandoned ski lodge and one of them has a broken leg or something?
I think it was fair to middlin'.

Oh, and fixed it for you.
post #6415 of 9787
Ok, here is what I made... thoughts?

post #6416 of 9787
Sweet cool.gif
post #6417 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Ok, here is what I made... thoughts?

Add to cart!!!biggrin.gif
post #6418 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Ok, here is what I made... thoughts?


Cool. I have Gonzo sticker on mine.
post #6419 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Brian, can you be more detailed?
I'm asking because, although I didn't really like the soft ending, I thought it was a fairly good movie....confused.gif
It was formlaic crap, a "feel good movie of the year." You think they would have learned something from films like "28 Days Later" or even how Romero did his films. You don't need happy endings. But so many Hollywood films have this goofy, hokey scenes emotional manipulating scenes and there was definitely a lot of bad writing in this film. Maybe that was what Pitt was upset about. He'd gotten himself involved in a "Ma and Pa Kettle Meet the Zombies" movie. I'm glad I only paid $1.50 to see it. It could have been much better though probably an okay movie after a few beers. biggrin.gif
post #6420 of 9787
Okay, it's not horror but this thing is parked outside our office right now. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)